Getting back into competitive Pokémon battling

Ronnie

After 2 years of losing interest in competitive battling, I suddenly got the urge to play more VGC when changing up my teams. Spent the past few days breeding non-stop and although it's tedious, I kinda missed doing that stuff. Any users here who still play competitively whether Smogon or VGC?

Yup, VGC player here. My last major tournament was at Ft. Wayne Regs and my next will be in December in Memphis. If you're planning on getting back into it, why not go to Hartford Regs coming up here soon? I don't know how far that is for you, but it'll be happening the last weekend of September. Anything you need to talk about team-wise to, such as suggestions for moves and items, even whole teams, I can help you out. Welcome back!

2 hours ago, JHufself said:

Yup, VGC player here. My last major tournament was at Ft. Wayne Regs and my next will be in December in Memphis. If you're planning on getting back into it, why not go to Hartford Regs coming up here soon? I don't know how far that is for you, but it'll be happening the last weekend of September. Anything you need to talk about team-wise to, such as suggestions for moves and items, even whole teams, I can help you out. Welcome back!

I have college and work so I don't have the time to leave my area. I play online. I'll be sure to talk to you about my team since I never really looked at what the Alola Pokémon are capable of competitively.

Here's my thoughts on Alolan Pokémon. I included both new Pokémon and the Alolan formes since I wasn't sure which you were talking about. Keep in mind that I'm considering them as part of the VGC 2017 meta - I am not speaking of their overall application across different metas. I'd also recommend doing a bit more research on Pokémon you're interested in; there are lots of infographics on usage, EV spreads, natures, items, etc. from various sources including Pokémon's Global Link website.

Those with a Standout presence:

Spoiler

Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini - The new Guardians of Alola have nice stat distributions paired with mostly complete movepools (Bulu is the only one lacking here imo) and the ability to set different terrain upon entering battle. Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele tend to be more offensive and more popular in general, while Tapu Fini is more of a bulky attacker and Bulu is anti-meta, as it boasts good matchups versus the other three.
Ultra Beasts: Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Celesteela, Kartana, Xurkitree - Most of these Pokémon are extremists; they are very good at what they do but often can't break out of that mold. Nihilego is a decently quick Special Attacker with access to Trick Room as well as good STABs in Rock and Poison. Buzzwole and Pheromosa hit hard with Fighting STAB, but Buzzwole is typically bulkier while Pheromosa is the very definition of a glass cannon. Kartana has the highest unboosted Attack stat in the current meta - but also has abysmal Special Defense to compensate. Xurkitree has sky-high Special Attack with decent enough other stats to function well enough, and finally, Celesteela is popular for its status as a Flying-Type Ferrothorn with access to Fire moves.
Alolan Formes: Ninetales, Marowak, Raichu, Muk - The best of the bunch. Ninetales sets hail and packs Aurora Veil as well as other support moves or just spams Blizzard to fish for freezes. Marowak has high Attack but the rest of its stats are lacking; it can beat Tapu Koko 1-on-1 most of the time though. Raichu does well in both Electric and Psychic Terrains, making it a versatile fast attacker and it carries a unique Z-Move in Stoked Sparksurfer. Muk is arguably the best of the pack with Gluttony as its ability combined with the new and improved Pinch Berries (Aguav, Mago, Figy, Wiki, Iapapa) let it stay around and dish out good Poison and Dark damage.
Mudsdale - One of the few Ground-Types in the meta and one with decent statline and a Speed stat screaming Trick Room. Has quite a few good tools to help it accomplish its role as a bulky attacker.
Araquanid - On first glance it seems like a weak Bug-Type but its ability, Water Bubble actually doubles the amount of damage dealt by Water moves. This Pokémon is also popular under Trick Room and can wreak lots of havoc with Liquidation backed by Waterium Z.
Mimikyu - Disguise is amazing and this is the best Trick Room setter in the current format.

They Appear Sometimes:

Spoiler

Vikavolt - In two words, it's like Rotom-Bug if it existed. Pairs really well with Garchomp for that reason.
Oricorio-Ghost/Electric - You'll only ever see these two types and they'll only ever be on teams with either Lilligant, Pheromosa, or both. They dance and Tailwind and sometimes land Hurricanes in Sun.
Salazzle - It's got Fake Out and Encore as well as really nice Fire/Poison STAB. She's let down by her depressing bulk, but at least she's speedy and looks sassy as hell.
Tsareena - Really only notable for placing 1st at Japan Nats. She stops priority with her ability, Queenly Majesty. The rest of her is a mess unfortunately.
Oranguru - A go-to Trick Room setter with the signature move Instruct. It's no Cresselia in terms of bulk, but Instruct is so good that it's easy to overlook that comparison.
Palossand - One trick pony that is paired with Water Shuriken Smeargle to get up to +6 Def easy. It's really weak to Normal/Flying Types though.
Togedemaru - One of 3 viable Lightning Rod users (The others are Marowak-Alola and Pikachu). It has Fake Out and Encore too, but really one-dimensional and sometimes deadweight in certain matchups.
Silvally - A massive movepool and good stats all around weren't enough to save this Arceus wannabe from mediocrity. About the only thing it does better than anything else is Explode... so yea.
Drampa - Trick Room sweeper with good abilities in Cloud Nine and Berserk. It's like Mega Salamence if it were slow and you know... not a Flying Type.
Alolan Formes: Exeggutor, Persian, Sandslash - Exeggutor is a non-Psychic Trick Room user with good bulk and high power STABs but that's about it. It carries a 4x weakness to Ice which is never good when you're that slow. Persian is a Dark-Type with really decent support options in Parting Shot, Taunt, etc. and makes up for its raw Defense with Fur Coat, but for some reason doesn't seem to see as much use as more popular Pokémon. Sandslash pairs exclusively with either Vanilluxe or Ninetales to become fast with Slush Rush, but its offensive output isn't as good as some other Pokémon.

Never see the Light:

Spoiler

Alolan Formes: Golem, Raticate, Dugtrio - For one reason or another, they're never seen in high level play. These reasons are mostly stat related.
Decidueye - It's just really awkward and doesn't learn Tailwind. It has merits, but they are unexplored at the moment.
Primarina - It's a worse version of Tapu Fini. But it does hit harder than Tapu Fini.
Toucannon - Braviary exists so there's not much reason to run this fellow. Beak Blast is neat but ultimately not very practical.
Gumshoos - It hits hard and sucks everywhere else. Early Route Rodent status continues to show its fangs.
Charjabug - It's actually worth a mention because Battery is an exclusive ability and with Eviolite it has somewhat usable bulk.
Crabominable - It's an Ice Type but its main attacking moves miss. So think Metagross with less stats and worst typing.
Ribombee - poor little bug is just slightly not fast enough to compete with the big boys. Again, underexplored and not necessarily awful for competitive use.
Lycanroc - They don't usually appear, but the Mid-day form commonly appears with Gigalith if it shows up. Pure Rock and shallow movepools aren't doing them favors.
Wishiwashi - Popular in the beginning but now never seen. Its weird forme restriction as well as high dependence on Trick Room filtered it out from fellow Water-Type competitors like Araquanid.
Toxapex - It's a singles mon. What can I say?
Lurantis - It has no notable stats to abuse but Contrary Leaf Storm is fun. It's also slow though.
Shiinotic - It doesn't have Rage Powder which makes it way worse than it already was with base 60 HP.
Bewear - suffers from having to compete with Hariyama, Pheromosa, Buzzwole, and even Kartana for a Fighting-Type slot. It also just doesn't offer that much more than the other competitors do.
Comfey - Cleric-type Fairy with decent enough stats and a priority Draining Kiss + Trick Room combination - and that's where the good points end.
Passimian - I honestly forgot this guy because he has no merits until Defiant comes out. He's got good stats, he just needed Defiant.
Golisopod - Sort of a meme pick in that it does good T1 damage and then struggles to stay in more than a few turns to deal more thanks to its passive ability to be forced out.
Pyukumuku - The new Shuckle. Its one funny application is Soak + Toxic stall everything in the meta.
Minior - It's stuck in a pretty bad form at first and by the time it gets to shed its shell it's already usually too late. Shell Smash is good though.
Komala - Uh... it's immune to status and was banned from Smogon's STABmons format?
Turtonator - Torkoal is a better turtle but Fire/Dragon isn't bad. It lacks in some stats as well as definitely lacks in speed.
Bruxish - A Trick Room setter that can deal massive damage with Psychic Fangs and break screens. It's unfortunately pretty ugly and also not that good statwise.
Dhelmise - A Trick Room sweeper with 3 STABs (Grass, Ghost, and Steel) but little in the way of recovery and very reliant on Trick Room. It's cool but not very good.
Kommo-O - Once used to great success in early meta it fell off once people found out what it did. Being 4x weak to Fairy really stinks.
Guzzlord - speaking of 4x weak to Fairy... Guzzlord isn't terrible but it has little place in a meta like this swarming with fairies.