Bound Hero Battle: Guardians of Paradise

SatsumaFSoysoy

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

If you have Camilla and/or Corrin.

Availability =/= effectiveness. Goad is really only better in a situation where you can stack 3 of them, and even then Hone / Fort gives you more flexibility on player phase.

Also, I have to question why someone would run a flier team with no ranged options whatsoever, which means Hone will essentially always be used in a situation where it exists.

2 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Also, I have to question why someone would run a flier team with no ranged options whatsoever…

Because, I dunno, they are seasonal and I hate fun. If only there were ranged fliers in the general summon pool…

32 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Because, I dunno, they are seasonal and I hate fun. If only there were ranged fliers in the general summon pool…

4 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

Because most of my waifus are flying units and don't have tomes

More power to you guys, then. Cheesing Reposition spam has never been easier.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Availability =/= effectiveness. Goad is really only better in a situation where you can stack 3 of them, and even then Hone / Fort gives you more flexibility on player phase.

Also, I have to question why someone would run a flier team with no ranged options whatsoever, which means Hone will essentially always be used in a situation where it exists.

Goad is better if you don't feel like having everyone in same crowd. It allows greater   freedom of movement which flier emblem benefits much more than other kind of teams. 

12 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Goad is better if you don't feel like having everyone in same crowd. It allows greater   freedom of movement which flier emblem benefits much more than other kind of teams. 

Ignoring the bonus damage from -Blade, Goad requires two stacks for it to outperform Hone. That’s three units stuck together, so Goad is in fact more strict on positioning between it and Hone, on the contrary.

Goad forces the player to consider positioning during a turn, while Hone only considers positioning at the end. Hone / Fort allow for 2-man cells while Goad / Ward are weaker at this.

That’s not to say Goad and Ward should be ignored entirely, though. Goad buffs can stack on top of Hones for an extra kick to Atk where a Hone alone might not be enough. And as you mentioned, fliers have an easier time utilizing them since their movement isn’t limited by terrain. Spurs and Hones can work well together, and when used properly can be better than either of the two on their own. 

2 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Ignoring the bonus damage from -Blade, Goad requires two stacks for it to outperform Hone. That’s three units stuck together, so Goad is in fact more strict on positioning between it and Hone, on the contrary.

Goad forces the player to consider positioning during a turn, while Hone only considers positioning at the end. Hone / Fort allow for 2-man cells while Goad / Ward are weaker at this.

That’s not to say Goad and Ward should be ignored entirely, though. Goad buffs can stack on top of Hones for an extra kick to Atk where a Hone alone might not be enough. And as you mentioned, fliers have an easier time utilizing them since their movement isn’t limited by terrain. Spurs and Hones can work well together, and when used properly can be better than either of the two on their own. 

And as I said 4 point of buff is more than worth trade of for being able spread your units across stage and that even in context of some modes inflated stats. 

5* Valter teamed up with 4* Palla, Olivia (WoM inheritance), and Legion to clear Infernal. I'd keep trying for lower requirements, but I don't really feel like putting any more effort into this one, especially with the Tempest right around the corner.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Ignoring the bonus damage from -Blade, Goad requires two stacks for it to outperform Hone. 

The main thing is, Hone requires Hinoka—who is 5★-locked,—while Goad only requires Palla—who is available at 3–4★.

I’ve got more than a dozen Pallas since release, and no Hinokas.

23 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The main thing is, Hone requires Hinoka—who is 5★-locked,—while Goad only requires Palla—who is available at 3–4★.

I’ve got more than a dozen Pallas since release, and no Hinokas.

Hinoka was my second 5* unit I ever pulled joeks on you

Returning to the original point, Hone is not overrated and availabiliy shouldn’t play a role in that.

Edited by MrSmokestack

Went with Eirika, Nino, Azura, and Leon.  Leon had Draw Back, Swordbreaker and my support, Nino had Shove, and I am an idiot.  But I digress.

Instead of having Nino ORKO Azura, I had Leon murder the sword cav instead.  Azura danced Leon, who pulled her out of the way.  After that, it was a slow retreat, while picking people off (Nino offed the lance cav, Hawkeye fell to a quad from Leon, and sword guy made the idiotic mistake of attacking Leon).  Eirika had to tank a couple of green mage hits, since Nino was busy elsewhere.  Once I separated the green mage and Ninian, was able to have Nino pick them off.

Without support, Leon needs the Speed +1 seal.

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Instead of having Nino ORKO Azura, I had Leon murder the sword cav instead. 

Nothing more exciting than some good old infighting in the player’s team!

You probably meant Ninian here.

17 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Nothing more exciting than some good old infighting in the player’s team!

You probably meant Ninian here.

No, Nino was mad that Azura didn't provide enough buffs to ORKO Ninian.  Or a lack of Fury, but I'm supposed to be the tactician who doesn't make mistakes.

I think Nino was short by six damage.  However, due to the way the buffs panned out, Nino was SOL.  Thus, I had Leon kill a different unit.  It made the map a lot more annoying, but I managed, somehow.  Props to Eir for tanking, somehow.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

No, Nino was mad that Azura didn't provide enough buffs to ORKO Ninian.  Or a lack of Fury, but I'm supposed to be the tactician who doesn't make mistakes.

In FE7, you don't have to be perfect. One of its oddities is three character endings for the Tactician, which you get depends on your ranking.

Spoiler

Mark – Superb Mind

A tactician whose brilliance changed the course of history. Bern and Etruria so desired this skilled mind that they went to war.

Mark – Famed Genius

The tactician vanished after the final battle. Bern, Lycia, and Etruria all sought those famed skills, but none ever found the tactician.

Mark – Suspect Mind

To this day, historians look back and question how these incomprehensible strategies ever led to victory.

I think its better to underperform than overperform since I don't want to start a war.

Is this relevant? Well the BHB is FE7 themed.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In FE7, you don't have to be perfect. One of its oddities is three character endings for the Tactician, which you get depends on your ranking.

Reveal hidden contents

I think its better to underperform than overperform since I don't want to start a war.

I started on FE7, when it was first released. ;):

Mark the Tactician didn't have a gun that shot Heroes out, so I see him/her as a separate entity.  Kiran is painted in a much more competent light.  Hence why not putting a really useful skill on a unit that can utilize it well is a blunder. :P:

Edited by eclipse

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Mark – Superb Mind

A tactician whose brilliance changed the course of history. Bern and Etruria so desired this skilled mind that they went to war.

Mark – Famed Genius

The tactician vanished after the final battle. Bern, Lycia, and Etruria all sought those famed skills, but none ever found the tactician.

Mark – Suspect Mind

To this day, historians look back and question how these incomprehensible strategies ever led to victory.

I started with FE7 and never realised about the alternative endings xD I never played for ranks so never got the top one... but I thankfully never got the bottom one either, so I thought the ending was always the same xD

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Well, the war starts anyway. The tactician is only an excuse.

Well who knows? It could have been a totally different one from Binding's. Desmond vs. Mordred bypassing Lycia and instead duking it out in western Sacae for a couple years sounds like a possibility. Since I doubt Zephiel would go that far for any individual (...until FE6 Remake that is- well I hope not).

• 5 months later...

Cleared out 4 quests in 1 run on the Lunatic map.

Units used:
5* Alfonse (Brave Sword+, Bonfire, Drag Back)
5* Anna (Fury 3, Wings of Mercy 3, Def Tactic 3)
5*+3 Xander (Swap, Ignis, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Hone Cavalry, Distant Defense 3)
5*+10 +Atk/-Spd The Reinhardt (teh usual build)

EDIT: Got the cavalry Lunatic clear using the following units:
4*+6 +Spd/-HP Clarine (Rehabilitate, Wings of Mercy, Ward Cavalry)
5*+3 Xander (Swap, Ignis, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Hone Cavalry, Distant Defense 3)
5* Camus (Bonfire, Vantage 3, Hone Cavalry, Spd +1)
5* +Atk/-Def Cecilia (Draconic Aura, Triangle Adept 3, Hone Cavalry)

Camus really needs Grani's Shield for this one.

Edited by Roflolxp54