New SMT Switch Info coming next month

Jedi

I almost forgot the Switch was going to get a Shin Megami Tensei game. That's pretty neat. I've never completed an SMT game unless Persona counts - which I've heard fans vehemently say it does not - so I'll be interested in checking this out.

GAAAAAAH, I can't take it!  October 23 can't seem to come quickly enough!

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I almost forgot the Switch was going to get a Shin Megami Tensei game. That's pretty neat. I've never completed an SMT game unless Persona counts - which I've heard fans vehemently say it does not - so I'll be interested in checking this out.

Are you talking about fans of Shin Megami Tensei or Persona?  Because there are numerous Persona fans who will deny that Persona is a Shin Megami Tensei sub-series even though it actually is.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

Persona 5 is probably the closest any of the modern Persona games are to actual SMT. And I mostly mean that you need to negotiate with demons to recruit them. Story-line and atmosphere is a different deal.

But Persona's just as SMT as every other SMT spinoff. Another recent, notable SMT spin-off franchise, Digital Devil Saga, is a more traditional JRPG, and it's a more linear, story focused affair. So it's arguably even less of an SMT game from a gameplay perspective, but it's closer in tone/atmosphere to mainline SMT.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

The combat and fusion core is shared across the two franchises, SMT skips on Jung, Tarot, and dating sim for an eternal contest of world creating ideologies in an apocalyptic world and generally bleak stuff. And technically, Persona is in the SMT multiverse. Plus Personas/Shadows and demons aren't totally dissimilar, since SMTIV suggests all one needs to become a demon is overload yourself on magnetite (provided by thoughts, feelings, and emotions).

If you're looking for a cheaper entry point, consider one of the Devil Survivors or if you have a PS3 the Digital Devil Sagas. SMT characters tend to be on the flat side, but Devil Survivor does try to make them pop more. DS2 is rather lighthearted and comical despite the stakes at hand and has a small dating sim aspect, but the idealogical conflict is still present once you get towards the end. DSO isn't so vibrant, but the characters are still decent and you get a much stronger, but not fatiguing, sense of Armageddon.

The Digital Devil Sagas (the first ends on a cliffhanger the second picks up from) feature a fixed team of 5 characters and no demon fusion at all, opting instead for skill-teaching Mantras. The plot is teenage appropriate dystopian with a Hindu-Buddhist stylistic touch.

As for the main series. The first SMT (but the series actually began with Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei II) is available on iOS, but trust me, it's a curiosity for longtime players of the series at this point- it hasn't held up over time anywhere near as good as CT or FFV/VI. Nocturne is great, but not for first timers, that I'll tell ya. SMT IV is very modern in its features, and is generally a fair difficulty outside of the very beginning being very tough. You might want to complain about the world map later on heads up, but you'll get use to it, and note Estoma Sword works on the map in case battles there annoy you. Hold off on Strange Journey until the updated port releases, and IV: Apocalypse should be played after IV.

Considering the 25th anniversary of the series, I wonder if we are getting a remake one of the mainline games. Preferably the first two or Nocturne. Also I have to continue my first play through of Nocturne currently at Underpass of Ginza (the sewer).

Edited by Jingle Jangle

12 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Considering the 25th anniversary of the series, I wonder if we are getting a remake one of the mainline games. Preferably the first two or Nocturne. Also I have to continue my first play through of Nocturne currently at Underpass of Ginza (the sewer).

I hope it's not a remake.  The whole NEXT thing with the logo implies that they want to move forward, which would make more sense if they were making a completely new game.

32 minutes ago, Gaia093 said:

Do you guys think it will be a mainline game? I sure hope so. It'd be crazy if it were SMTV.

It probably will be a main series game, as the I, II, III, and IV in the 25th Anniversary logo should imply that the celebration is largely mainline-centric.  It would be strange for them to emphasize the main series in the anniversary logo and then reveal a new title for one of the numerous spin-off series.

4 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

It probably will be a main series game, as the I, II, III, and IV in the 25th Anniversary logo should imply that the celebration is largely mainline-centric.  It would be strange for them to emphasize the main series in the anniversary logo and then reveal a new title for one of the numerous spin-off series.

Yep, those were my thoughts back in January, too. Hopefully we're on the right track.

The demons are going to look fantastic with Unreal Engine graphics. Can't wait for a good look at the likes of Loki, Metatron and many others.

29 minutes ago, Gaia093 said:

Yep, those were my thoughts back in January, too. Hopefully we're on the right track.

The demons are going to look fantastic with Unreal Engine graphics. Can't wait for a good look at the likes of Loki, Metatron and many others.

Don't forget Mara the Magnificent

The fact that they're using Unreal Engine 4 (keep in mind, this was the only game at the Nintendo Switch Event that was explicitly touted as using it) makes me wonder just how ambitious this game is going to be.  Perhaps they could be making a more open game with real-time combat, as I can't imagine wasting such pretty graphics on a turn-based combat system.

7 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I would love a remake of 1 seeing as I actually really adore the original SMT, for various reasons even if it's fairly clunky for today's standards.

Seeing the protagonist again in 4:As DLC missions was very cool along with the rest.

Do you guys hope for a more formulaic title in the veins of SMTIV, something more experimental like Nocturne or a little bit of both a la Strange Journey? Because to me, SMTIV felt too vanilla and too much like a game that covers the same old stuff instead of something that felt fresh, i also have a problem with how both that game and Apocalypse portrayed Alignments. And i feel something different is what the mainline series needs right now.

5 hours ago, Gaia093 said:

Do you guys think it will be a mainline game? I sure hope so. It'd be crazy if it were SMTV.

The logo showed I, II, III, and IV when they unveiled it. That implies right away that it's the fifth game.

Still SMT related, the opening cutscene for Strange Journey Redux is out.

I wonder who is the Yukiko lite is? And I want to get into the Strange Journey world again, but I'm probably going to be stomped by Ouroboros  and Mem Aleph, that is the charm of the SMT games, dying repeatedly to one boss.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

This game is still weird. Once it became clear Nintendo 3DS was entering it's golden days, I feel like a lot of franchises began thinking about their first big console project since the PS2 era. Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest. Shin Megami Tensei, what are you doing, man? Don't you know the Nintendo Switch is doomed to fail before it even comes out?

It feels a bit like Octopath Traveler, actually. Hadn't heard of the game since January, but it's still coming. Wasn't a part of your imagination.

4 hours ago, OakTree said:

Do you guys hope for a more formulaic title in the veins of SMTIV, something more experimental like Nocturne or a little bit of both a la Strange Journey? Because to me, SMTIV felt too vanilla and too much like a game that covers the same old stuff instead of something that felt fresh, i also have a problem with how both that game and Apocalypse portrayed Alignments. And i feel something different is what the mainline series needs right now.

Even as someone who really loved IV I agree. Something different would be interesting, but I'm not sure what they might be thinking of doing.

They may play it safe since SMT doesn't sell nearly as well as Persona.

Although what's funny is that IV:A was criticized for being too Persona and some people had issues with P5 being too SMT.

I actually wrote a whole tirade elsewhere about why I thought the plot and characters of SMTIV were really disappointing and basically a gigantic waste of the great world concept. I still enjoyed the game due to other aspects of it, but really, the more the new game deviates from the kind of narrative IV went for, the better.

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Although what's funny is that IV:A was criticized for being too Persona and some people had issues with P5 being too SMT.

What I'm wondering will happen is that both the main and Persona series will continue to borrow from each other until they become practically indistinguishable.  When I first saw Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation, I thought it looked oddly Persona-ish despite being billed as Megami Tensei.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gaia093 said:

Tomorrow's the day, guys. I can't believe it's been almost a month since I last typed something here. Uncanny.

Really looking forward to whatever they'll be showing us. Actual gameplay would be great.

I just wonder what they could possibly be doing with Unreal Engine 4 graphics.  Perhaps we could be getting a game with real-time combat?  ...Maybe a first-person shooter?

I dunno.  I kinda feel like such nice graphics would be wasted on a turn-based game.