Azura deconfirmed

The DanMan

11 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Right, but at that point, the idea behind having mooks use spears has no meaning. It's meant to show a lack of skill and rank, not a lack of character or depth.

But isn't a lack of both character and depth exactly why you need mooks to begin with? Also, isn't it so much that the characters you get don't have the rank, but moreso has the skill: Take Awakening for instance, many of the game's characters are part of the Shepherds which consist of a rag-tag group of knights and promising upstarts (a mage to serve as magic artillery, a fighters to serve as muscle, cavaliers to serve as fast-moving units). Then characters hired outside of that have skills that contribute to making the Shepherds more and more of an elite group of soldiers once the training kicks in (an archer for physical ranged attacks, a thief to pick locks, a peg. knight for airborne battling, a master swordsman, etc. etc.) And all of these roles would be harder to replace than your typical unskilled rank-and-file soldier.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What makes Aran any different from the enemies he's recruited from? They're all humans being who would likely grow in the same situations. It isn't like you have an army of 108 Stars of Destiny.

In Aran's case, he is stronger and hardier than the typical Soldier. He also displays sensitivity and kindness and has a backstory with Laura as being fellow orphans in Daein, latter being adopted by a merchant family in Begnion (which leads to him joining the occupational army). He latter secretly smuggles the Dawn Brigade into the Glaive Prison (being posted as a guard there at the time) so that they can help Laura and Micaiah. So... are you saying every soldier is an orphan who are friends with one another?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Katana was not the main weapon in feudal japan. It was Pole arms. Heck, even samurai were more often going to use a Yari (spear), Naginata, or Bow. Swords historically in feudal times in both Europe and Japan were back up weapons and status symbols (they were expensive and complex to make) even for elite soldiers.

The reason the sword was use so much by romans was because of their tactics, heavy shields, tight formations, etc that fall part with the rise of heavy calvary.

It makes perfect sense for the average mook in a game like this to be using spears/pole arms and not swords. It also makes sense that elite fighters would be the ones using swords as a main weapon. You'd have to be elite just to afford an expensive steel sword.

Edited by wissenschaft

22 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think Hinoka was a particularly good add for this game either but I don't think she's actively unpopular. She's not very relevant and most people notice she was a very late addition but I don't think people outright don't like her. Saying she's the least popular royal doesn't mean much considering they are all in the upper tier of the popularity poll.

Hinoka has her flaws and detractors but her popularity is hardly dirt. 

She has dirt popularity in a RELATIVE sense. All other royals are much more popular and Azura is much, much, much more popular. As far as Fates is concerned, she has dirt popularity. Being the least of the 10 Fates royals is a big deal in a game that only has 3 Shadow Dragon characters. We're playing with single digits, not double.

Just now, Folt said:

In Aran's case, he is stronger and hardier than the typical Soldier. He also displays sensitivity and kindness and has a backstory with Laura as being fellow orphans in Daein, latter being adopted by a merchant family in Begnion (which leads to him joining the occupational army). He latter secretly smuggles the Dawn Brigade into the Glaive Prison (being posted as a guard there at the time) so that they can help Laura and Micaiah. So... are you saying every soldier is an orphan who are friends with one another?

Are you telling me that none of the hundreds of baddies we fight have their own sensitive backstories? Then why in fifteen games do we have "be compassionate" and "avoid bloodshed" at all? There is no empirical evidence that mostly anyone in your army deserves to be stronger than the enemies. Everyone in the world has friends outside Jarod and Ludveck pretty much.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So not that bad actually, does that include Tiki? HW had its own issue of too many Linksets, but beyond that it was good.

Yes it does. HW's roster to me comes across as better than FEW because the only "necessary" additions are Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, so they have more leeway with the rest of the characters.

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...Dude, I seriously hope you're joking here.

Yes I am, I meant to highlight how ridiculous the decision was by using it in other contexts. I'd be pretty mad if Robin and Luigi were actually cut for that reason.

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Pampered fans: Why are you guys upset your favorite characters won't get in? That's pretty entitled.

Also pampered fans: OMG Azura nooooo. She's the most important of the Fates royals.

Bah, Camilla was the most important. That and mr. "you deserve worst". The memes are a big part of the enjoyment of the game. lol

Edited by wissenschaft

7 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Yes I am, I meant to highlight how ridiculous the decision was by using it in other contexts. I'd be pretty mad if Robin and Luigi were actually cut for that reason.

Ah, good. I thought you might've been, just wanted clarification. I'd be hella mad if Luigi got cut too, he's my favorite video game character of all time, even above Ike (though not by much lol), and he's probably the most iconic Nintendo character behind his bro.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are you telling me that none of the hundreds of baddies we fight have their own sensitive backstories? Then why in fifteen games do we have "be compassionate" and "avoid bloodshed" at all? There is no empirical evidence that mostly anyone in your army deserves to be stronger than the enemies. Everyone in the world has friends outside Jarod and Ludveck pretty much.

Of course not. But they don't matter because for gameplay purposes, their whole purpose is to be the rank-and-file soldier who doesn't really have any skill or talent to speak of so your units who do can get experience fighting them. Perhaps because these kinds of soldiers typically don't receive much of a training except "poke spear at enemy" and that's it. For these kinds of soldiers to survive further, they need to exhibit further talent with it other than just stabbing enemies with spears (and in Aran's case, he's tougher and stronger compared to your average soldier + someone in the army already knows who he is and can appeal to him to use his skills serving your side instead of dying at your sword/spear/axe/magic, etc. etc.).

Eh whatever. Azura was never a character I liked. Gameplay-wise, she was always so bad I'd dump her halfway through any Fates playthrough and character-wise, she's dull and tries way too hard to be "mysterious".

The only thing I can honestly say I like about her is Rena Strober.

I don't like this. Mainly because it implies that they were running tight on their ability to add new characters/movesets into the game. Which makes me worry we won't have that many characters that have yet to be announced. Which means we might not have much more than 15 unique movesets in the game.

God damnit, I hope this is just a giant excuse to have her as DLC.

While not the biggest Fates fan, I would have like Azura relative to her cast. Also, as much as I've tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, the fact that we only have three lances, three axes, and they added in two unnecessary swordies makes me feel that they are either incompetent or blatantly lying.

the roster already looks likes it's a healthy mix of sword useres, pegasasi knights with lances, and Smash 4 clones

can't say I'm surprised

I'm going to get hate for this, but I'm glad some people here are dissaponted

It's not the majority of the people here, it's those poeple who said to me when I originally complained about the roster, "Well it sounds like you didn't even want a FE muso game" and the whole take it or leave it attitude that they had

This is super lame, I was looking forward to playing as her. And to having a lance that wasn't on a pegasus (though I'm still thinking Camus will be in). But I was kind of expecting it the past couple weeks so I've made peace that she'll probably be DLC.

9 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

the roster already looks likes it's a healthy mix of sword useres, pegasasi knights with lances, and Smash 4 clones

can't say I'm surprised

I'm going to get hate for this, but I'm glad some people here are dissaponted

It's not the majority of the people here, it's those poeple who said to me when I originally complained about the roster, "Well it sounds like you didn't even want a FE muso game" and the whole take it or leave it attitude that they had

TBH I kinda agree. While I am disappointed with the lack of Azura since in my mind she had a lot of potential, I'm not to peeved off. But with how some people are reacting with how FEW is automatically bad cause Azura isn't gonna be are being way to hyperbolic and sound a tad bit hypocritical.

2 hours ago, Forpocalypse said:

Sorry, but no, fuck this and whoever was responsible for this GARBAGE decision.

You include Hinoka, a character with dirt popularity who is also a semi-clone that brings nothing to the table...To balance out the fact that you included Camilla, a popular character who is also extremely unique? To be fair to the Hoshidans? No. Just put in Camilla and Takumi (who beat Leo in popularity in CYL). The older brothers both had to be in, of course, but I wish they didn't. They're BOTH less popular than the younger brothers too. Make them DLC. Azura is way more popular than Hinoka. Hinoka is irrelevant. She was included for no reason. Why am I harping on Hinoka? Because she's the least popular of all the Fates royals AND the most irrelevant to the story. Filth. I'm actually fuming over a video game roster and I gave this game the benefit of the doubt from Day 1. Include JUST Azura and Corrin (F) and you'd have a better roster! Azura is more popular, more relevant, has better moveset potential, and isn't a sword unit like your Walmart discount Alfonse and Sharena. SURE, I'm an Azura fangirl, but I don't think that I'm being unreasonable. If that text legitimately deconfirms Azura, oh man. I will still get this game the second it releases. But I won't be happy. When I heard that they were focusing on Fates, I was happy for one reason: I knew Azura would be in. 

I could go on about this trash. I don't want to sound like I'm straight out of GameFAQ's or anything, but they just deconfirmed my water goddess and I'm not having it. 

Fine, Koei. Add Ogma and Navarre too while you're at it, yeah? And why not Sword Gray, Saber, Sword Tobin, and Sword Kliff too? Make sure they're all Marth clones! Whoever chose to not include Azura is dead to me. Don't care. Not exaggerating. No wonder people threatened to quit over this trash roster! Putting Hinoka in over Azura must've had something to do with that. Screw Koei Tecmo. Add Azura as DLC immediately. 

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Pampered fans: Why are you guys upset your favorite characters won't get in? That's pretty entitled.

Also pampered fans: OMG Azura nooooo. She's the most important of the Fates royals.

Chill.  If you don't like it, you're free to do better things with your time.

My guess is that Azura will be DLC, due to her popularity and (relatively) obscure weapon type.  At least in Warriors terms.

I never much cared for azura, she was pretty dull and would have gone forgotten if not for main character or dancer, I don't think her moveset would have been all that unique aside from lance user, I don't feel like the whole water thing would have been all that significant. 

But on to the exclusion itself, this was a horrible idea and whoever can be held responsible should be severely reprimanded for it, if only because this inclusion would have completed the set for fates royals. Still though it doesn't really change how I feel about the game as I've already had a very wanted character hit a level of unlikeliness that all hope it dead like lucina should be, lets all be annoyed together.

hinoka was a mistake.

12 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I don't think her moveset would have been all that unique aside from lance user, I don't feel like the whole water thing would have been all that significant.

Considering the current state of the roster, Azura being a lance user would be "all that unique" because we only have three of them and they all have the same basic moveset.

Edited by Lightchao42

Even though she's just an Exposition bot with a cool CG, it's a shame that she wasn't included just for moveset variety reasons. There isn't another ground lance unit, and even if there were, they could add some really cool water effects to her moveset, and include her twirling or singing around for some moves.

I'm really surprised that none of the refreshers made it in, considering their movesets can be the fun gimmicky ones.

Honestly not that surprised. As I said, I figured if Azura was in we'd have heard about her by now.

I'm pretty neutral on Azura so I don't really care whether she's in or not personally, though she'd make a good character for a Valla-themed DLC pack.

13 hours ago, Thane said:

@blah the Prussian might know this better than I do, but wasn't the spear usually the go-to weapon back in those days? Hell, wasn't that the case in Japan as well?

If Fire Emblem was historically accurate lances would do effective damage to mounted units like bows destroy fliers. Historically Spearmen were invaluable for protecting one's flanks from cavalry charges; in an era dominated by heavy cavalry, having a wall of pikes that horses would physically refuse to charge into was very useful. They were easy to make, too; a horse doesn't want to charge into a wooden pike any more than a steel one. They were used well into the Renniasance to protect musketeers from enemy cavalry. Swords, meanwhile, would be reserved for elite infantry, if they were used at all, as well as the go to weapon for cavalry on infantry combat; if you want to cut a bloody swathe through some filthy Peasent rabble you want a weapon that can slash, not one that can poke at most one guy, and that's if you're accurate. Lances for cavalry were mostly used in intercavalry conflict, and in the 1700s a type of soldier called the Lancer was introduced that specialized in lances; however that was at the time when cavalry was quickly becoming relegated to a scouting/skirmished role.

Now, what I really want to know is: how did the use of spears in the Middle Ages come up in a thread about the availibility of Azura in Warriors?

Edit: Well, it seems the thread has moved beyond this discussion. Sorry for the derail.

Edited by blah the Prussian