Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Rex Glacies

Found my way past the level 80 pterodactyl only for the worst delivery of a joke I've ever heard in Chapter 4. They even got the punchline wrong. It's One Eyed Snake, not One Eyed Monster. What about "Monster" insinuates, "penis", game? Now I'm being roadblocked because I haven't figured out a character's favorite pouch item.

You have to be trying to design a trifecta of bad things that all occur within the same five minutes. Where's a pouch guide...

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

It's One Eyed Snake, not One Eyed Monster. What about "Monster" insinuates, "penis", game?

Uzclr7U.png

It actually is one eyed monster.

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Now I'm being roadblocked because I haven't figured out a character's favorite pouch item.

Does it say item or items? If it's the former, then it's a specific item. If it's the latter, then it's any item from that category.

Yeah, one eyed monster is correct terminology. It doesn't make it any less cringey but I think I gave that scene a pity laugh. I mean, there's hardly that many games who make a blatant dick joke as a part of their main story pregression...

Well the day before yesterday I got my second to last rare blade, Zenobia. So today while playing, I just did a rare crystal with +1 bravery booster (was my only booster) on Nia......I pulled KOS-MOS. Figures the one I wanted since the beginning of the game would only come 20 hours after I beat the game.

So it seems the recent patch removed "THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME" and "DON'T FORGET ME" from the game:cry:

The quality of life improvements sound nice though. Being able to skip voice lines when shoving food down a blade's throat will save a nice amount of time.

Edited by Sasori

54 minutes ago, Sasori said:

So it seems the recent patch removed "THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME" and "DON'T FORGET ME" from the game:cry:

The quality of life improvements sound nice though. Being able to skip voice lines when shoving food down a blade's throat will save a nice amount of time.

I'll honor their words and never forget them. 

1 hour ago, Sasori said:

Saddest death of 2018. RIP Ardainian soldiers. We will never forget them.

At least "YER DONE" is still in the game.

1 hour ago, Sasori said:

This is great news. Ursula's quest is much more bearable now.

Edit: in memory of the Ardainian soldiers

Edited by Armagon

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/300011-xenoblade-chronicles-2-has-outperformed-xenoblade-chronicles-x-in

We've got some great news in terms of Japanese sales. Xenoblade 2 has already outsold X and is very close to outselling 1 in Japan.

We don't know the international sales but i'm gonna take this as a good sign. I feel like at this point, Nintendo considers Xenoblade to be it's flagship JRPG.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/300011-xenoblade-chronicles-2-has-outperformed-xenoblade-chronicles-x-in

We've got some great news in terms of Japanese sales. Xenoblade 2 has already outsold X and is very close to outselling 1 in Japan.

We don't know the international sales but i'm gonna take this as a good sign. I feel like at this point, Nintendo considers Xenoblade to be it's flagship JRPG.

weeell you'd have to ignore the pikachu-shaped elephant in the room. Nintendo is the parent company to both.

So I been thinking a lot about how much I love bonus exp. What a great way to add value to quests. And if the player doesn't want the boost in level, then nothing forces them to use any of the exp they've accrued. They can just do side quests for the sake of side quests.

I'm a bit sad that X was really sandbagged by being on the WiiU. That game deserves better (and also a port that solves the audio mixing issues). I do like 2 plenty, but there were things X still did better.

That said on the whole I wonder if there will ever be a Xenoblade game that moves towards more grounded character design. We have some good characters like Dunban and Morag, and OK ones like Melia and Nia, but Xenoblade just had some real stupid armor for Sharla and Fiora, X had terrible faces on everyone, and Pyra is always, always going to take me straight out of the plot every time with her "plot" being shoved into the camera all the time. I feel like her design does attract a certain type of fan but also alienates a lot of people who aren't so into the shonen anime aesthetic.

Also RIP Ardainian soldier memes. We won't forget you.

20 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

weeell you'd have to ignore the pikachu-shaped elephant in the room. Nintendo is the parent company to both.

By definition, Pokemon is a JRPG but it also falls in that weird spot where it doesn't really fit the conventions of one sometimes. I've seen plenty of debates of "is Pokemon a JRPG". Whereas Xenoblade IS a JRPG, no questions asked. That's what i meant by Xenoblade becoming Nintendo's flagship JRPG, because it fills that JRPG niche for Nintendo.

There's also the fact that Game Freak occasionally does whatever the fuck they feel like doing and have this overprotectivness over Pokemon, i mean, just look at the Pokemon costumes in Super Mario Maker but that's a tale for another day.

10 minutes ago, Samias said:

I'm a bit sad that X was really sandbagged by being on the WiiU. That game deserves better (and also a port that solves the audio mixing issues).

Agreed. I myself have never gotten to play X but i'm hoping for a Switch port.

14 minutes ago, Samias said:

I wonder if there will ever be a Xenoblade game that moves towards more grounded character design.

I mean, there's always Xenogears.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

By definition, Pokemon is a JRPG but it also falls in that weird spot where it doesn't really fit the conventions of one sometimes. I've seen plenty of debates of "is Pokemon a JRPG". Whereas Xenoblade IS a JRPG, no questions asked. That's what i meant by Xenoblade becoming Nintendo's flagship JRPG, because it fills that JRPG niche for Nintendo.

There's also the fact that Game Freak occasionally does whatever the fuck they feel like doing and have this overprotectivness over Pokemon, i mean, just look at the Pokemon costumes in Super Mario Maker but that's a tale for another day.

Well if Pokemon's not an RPG, what is it? RPG has gotten to be a pretty broad term, but if we're going strictly by the presence of role playing, Pokemon is miles ahead of most games in this genre, including this game. They've even got you creating a character and doing dialogue choices in the new ones. Even if you could only name your pokemon it would be more of an RPG than any game in which you don't name or customize anybody. 

30 minutes ago, Samias said:

I'm a bit sad that X was really sandbagged by being on the WiiU. That game deserves better (and also a port that solves the audio mixing issues). I do like 2 plenty, but there were things X still did better.

That said on the whole I wonder if there will ever be a Xenoblade game that moves towards more grounded character design. We have some good characters like Dunban and Morag, and OK ones like Melia and Nia, but Xenoblade just had some real stupid armor for Sharla and Fiora, X had terrible faces on everyone, and Pyra is always, always going to take me straight out of the plot every time with her "plot" being shoved into the camera all the time. I feel like her design does attract a certain type of fan but also alienates a lot of people who aren't so into the shonen anime aesthetic.

Also RIP Ardainian soldier memes. We won't forget you.

Yeah, I left this game on my radar long enough to hear reviews from trusted outlets. The character design was a total turn off, and still is as I play it. This game's got a good story with potentially great characters, that'd be enough to engage me throughout twenty minutes cutscenes and fifteen minute boss battles. But whenever we watch a character speak, I'm just wondering how they deal with the cold.

As for Ardainian soldiers, how did that get past QA? Look, I looooove when characters shout out their moves. I don't know if that's an anime thing, but I loved it in Legend of Dragoon. But when too many characters are shouting the volume just gets amplified to drown out everything else. And that's to say nothing of how obnoxious that chorus sounds. Are they all shouting because their shouting during boot camp made them hard of hearing? If so, It's weird that the Ardainian party member is the quietest.

48 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Well if Pokemon's not an RPG, what is it?

Oh no, Pokemon is definitely an RPG. The debate is whether or not it falls into the JRPG subcatagory, which, by definition, it does. 

Just gonna throw out there that I love this game. It has some problems and personal nitpicks of mine, but I love the beautiful world and its characters. I think Nia's my favorite character in the game both to play as and in terms of her character (save for one minimal part). The ending also was pretty amazing, though I felt I might have utilized inns too much and got too overleveled late in the game.

1 hour ago, blah the Prussian said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, sorry, game, you have to do more than one cutscene to earn redemption for Akhos, who openly mused about mutilating a child. For god's sake, this isn't hard. 

[\spoiler]

Yeah that one really didn't sit well with me either. The guy was already my least favorite villain for being so cliche but them trying to make saving that monster out to be ''the right thing'' really sealed the deal. 

Haven't posted but I'm loving this game. Haven't finished but at this point I would say it's my favourite of the 3, I'm enjoying it more than 1 and I just wasn't a big fan of X.

I love Nia and the fourth party member, but really the whole main cast is great. Rex has grown on me a lot.

Question for anyone who has reached a big chapter 7 spoiler:

Did you use Nia mainly as a blade or as a driver? I heard she's the best healing blade, but I also kind of prefer having her as my dedicated healer with her own blades. I've been raising her affinity up with Morag and Zeke as my other party members, and Zeke has Nim so that gives me two potential healing sources, plus when I get Mythra back she's pretty good for healing as well. I might use her as a blade for sidequesting so I can use Zeke more and then keep my usual Rex-Morag-Nia setup for story bosses.

Edited by Book Bro

2 hours ago, blah the Prussian said:

Hide contents

Yeah, sorry, game, you have to do more than one cutscene to earn redemption for Akhos, who openly mused about mutilating a child. For god's sake, this isn't hard. 

[\spoiler]

Spoiler

Agreed. I don't know why they tried to redeem Akhos and Patroka, as both of them were made out to be unlikable jerks. At least Jin, Malos, and Mikhail deserved it (though Mikahil the least since he didn't do much).

4 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Haven't posted but I'm loving this game. Haven't finished but at this point I would say it's my favourite of the 3, I'm enjoying it more than 1 and I just wasn't a big fan of X.

I love Nia and the fourth party member, but really the whole main cast is great. Rex has grown on me a lot.

Hide contents

Did you use Nia mainly as a blade or as a driver? I heard she's the best healing blade, but I also kind of prefer having her as my dedicated healer with her own blades. I've been raising her affinity up with Morag and Zeke as my other party members, and Zeke has Nim so that gives me two potential healing sources, plus when I get Mythra back she's pretty good for healing as well. I might use her as a blade for sidequesting so I can use Zeke more and then keep my usual Rex-Morag-Nia setup for story bosses.

Spoiler

Nia is the best healing Blade in the game. However, it comes at the cost of temporarily disabling her other Blades, which can be quite troublesome when it comes to Field Skill checks. It's up to you in the end but i personally keep her as Driver (though i do occasionally use her as a Blade from time to time).

3 hours ago, Book Bro said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I always keep Nia as a Driver. Losing out on those field skills is just terrible. Dromarch is already plenty good at healing as his level 2 special usually tops everyone off fully.

I finally beat this game, and I'm glad to say I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It wasn't as good as the first 2 Xenoblades, but after my first post in this thread I ended up taking a short break from it, and when I came back everything clicked. While I do think the world should have been interconected, and other regions should be as "explorable" as gormott, it was still good. The story also managed to engage me.

Another problem I had with the game that was actually solved with progressing more in the story was that (big spoilers)

I thought it was strange for Nia to leave her own life behind to follow Rex, but it turns out I had things backwards. She never agreed with Jin's objectives and methods and just joined him because he saved her, so she leaving Torna behind when they started commiting more evil actions and joining Rex made a lot of sense in retrospect. 

I feel weird about the ending, though. It was very good until the post credit cutscene, though maybe slightly less impactful than a couple of other games that went for something similar (the two games I'm specifically thinking about have probably my favorite endings in games so that's okay). It was a mostly bittersweet ending, with you thinking about how much the world will improve, while also how much the protagonists will miss someone important to them that changed their lives for the best. The thing is, the post credits scene completely discarded that, giving everyone a happy ending. I don't know, I was happy that Pyra/Mythra got to live, but it made it way less impactful and memorable.

Edited by Nobody

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

Hide contents

The thing is, the post credits scene completely discarded that, giving everyone a happy ending. I don't know, I was happy that Pyra/Mythra got to live, but it made it way less impactful and memorable.

Spoiler

Counterpoint: while Pyra/Mythra perhaps not coming back would've made the ending more emotional, it would've completely gone against their entire character arc. the entire game, Pyra and Mythra are wanting to die. Then comes the end of Ch.7 where they finally have a reason to live. Killing them off at the end of would've gone completely against that.

There's been a lot of debate over at the Xenoblade subreddit about how the ending should've gone but most people do seem to agree that Pyra and Mythra coming back was one of the better ways to end the game, and i've seen a multitude of reasons as to why. There's what i mentioned before and then there's people saying that there've been too many sad/bittersweet endings in JRPGs lately (can't comment if that's true or not) and Xenoblade 2's ending was a refreshing change of pace. I've seen many support the ending with evidence from the game itself (such as how Aegis' are known to work and the possibility of Klaus' final gift having an effect).

The more common complaint i see with the ending is not that Pyra and Mythra came back but it's that we never hear what they actually say at the end (even though mostly everyone agrees that it's probably "i love you").

On 24/01/2018 at 9:33 PM, Nobody said:

I finally beat this game, and I'm glad to say I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It wasn't as good as the first 2 Xenoblades, but after my first post in this thread I ended up taking a short break from it, and when I came back everything clicked. While I do think the world should have been interconected, and other regions should be as "explorable" as gormott, it was still good. The story also managed to engage me.

I definitely prefer 2 to X, but I'm not sure if I prefer 2 to 1. I want to say I do, and that's ultimately down to the soundtrack and the combat (once you have the options to have it all click and make sense). I totally agree with what you're saying regarding the exploration--Gormott was a joy to explore, but the other Titans just felt like linear corridors. And considering they're, y'know, Titans, the explorable areas are generally on the small side.

I'll join in the love train and say that I got this game for Xmas, and when I haven't been able to play it (at work mostly) I've been thinking about playing it, which is a feeling I have missed. I feel kinda bad, though, because I didn't have time to finish Xenoblade 1 before I got 2, and to be honest after beating XCX the gameplay felt rough and stiff in 1 by comparison. And now that I've jumped feet first into 2, I don't know if I'll be able to go back. I still want to beat Xenoblade 1, but man, I've got some obstacles of my own making in my path.