Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Rex Glacies

So any advice on getting KOS-MOS or last rare blade?

also wanted some thoughts on my planned blade set ups

Rex: Mythra, Agate, Roc or 

spoilers:

Spoiler

Mythra, Agate and Nia

Nia: Dromarch, Boreas, and Ursula

Morag: Brighid, Aegeaon, and Theory 

Zeke: Pandoria, Wulfric, KOS-MOS (IF I. HAD HER!!)

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Be lucky. Unless it's a quest exclusive Blade, which means you gotta go do that quest.

As for your Blade set-up, it's pretty good and is definitely one of the more optimal setups. KOS-MOS works well with Nia as well, since KOS-MOS is an Ether Cannon Blade and Nia has high Ether.

This is just opinion based off of my experience so far, but would it be possible to switch Agate and Wulfric in that party? Rex is reeeeeeally slow with axes and Zeke's megalance arts have so much wind up I swear it's a private joke by somebody who coded them.

My only other advice would be that variety is the spice of life, and thus Theory and Aegeaon on the same driver might be a little redundant, but if you like chroma katana, more power to ya. I personally like the weapon type so much I'm trying to get a rare one on each possible driver (so far I only have Aegeaon and Newt).

Has anyone tried experimenting with reflect damage builds? Every time I fight a unique driver enemy with a katana they instantly KO one of my party with spike damage or reflect damage or something (why did spike damage have to come back?), so I'm guessing there's got to be a pretty simple blade/accessory/aux core combo floating around reddit, but my work computer blocks all the fun social media sites.

3 minutes ago, Omegaprism said:

This is just opinion based off of my experience so far, but would it be possible to switch Agate and Wulfric in that party? Rex is reeeeeeally slow with axes and Zeke's megalance arts have so much wind up I swear it's a private joke by somebody who coded them.

My only other advice would be that variety is the spice of life, and thus Theory and Aegeaon on the same driver might be a little redundant, but if you like chroma katana, more power to ya. I personally like the weapon type so much I'm trying to get a rare one on each possible driver (so far I only have Aegeaon and Newt).

Has anyone tried experimenting with reflect damage builds? Every time I fight a unique driver enemy with a katana they instantly KO one of my party with spike damage or reflect damage or something (why did spike damage have to come back?), so I'm guessing there's got to be a pretty simple blade/accessory/aux core combo floating around reddit, but my work computer blocks all the fun social media sites.

My reasoning for putting Agate on Rex was for him to be able to launch enemies, allowing hime to do a full driver combo aside from break, which QTPi can do easily with speedy sword (I think that's that one)

they do have a LOT of wind up, so I am considering swapping with something else. (Unfortunately I currently have Praxis on him so that's two megalances.)

i REALLY like the Chrome katana. My only question is why everyone insists on putting it away in its sheath every time they use it. 

Heh funnily enough Newt is one of 2 rare blades in missing 

7 minutes ago, Omegaprism said:

Spike damage at least seems more manageable. In XC1 you had to spam Purge every 2 seconds 

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

also wanted some thoughts on my planned blade set ups

Rex: Mythra, Agate, Roc or 

spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Mythra, Agate and Nia

Nia: Dromarch, Boreas, and Ursula

Morag: Brighid, Aegeaon, and Theory 

Zeke: Pandoria, Wulfric, KOS-MOS (IF I. HAD HER!!)

Rex and Morag are good. Though Axes on Rex are quite slow compared to Zeke. There is another Launch option for him though.

Ursula is only optimal as a Healer if you PC her. The AI doesn't abuse her switch healing nearly enough to make it count and Knuckle blades only have potions as a healing option. She is still not bad but another Healer Blade is probably better.
If you have Dahlia that would be a good Ice alternative. In general, focusing on Bitballs for Nia gives her a good Break focus which in turn allows her to setup Driver combos for you.

While Kos-Mos is good keep in mind that Ether Cannons are need to be built around since they scale with Ether not with Strength. Fortunately Zeke has both in spades. If you want to focus on Kos-Mos and potentially another Ether Cannon (Herald *cough*) Vale is the far superior Lance on Zeke. She gives him a good Ether mod and has very strong damage passives on her.
You could also include Herald as your electric element if you know what I mean. Kos-Mos, Herald and Vale is a very strong combo on Zeke giving him excellent mixed offense.

Since you don't have her, consider Pandoria, Wulfric and, of course, Zenobia (if you have her). That's his most damaging physical set and will tear a new one in everything he touches.

4 minutes ago, Omegaprism said:

My only other advice would be that variety is the spice of life,

That's a pitfall. Focused builds are usually better and Morag greatly enjoys multiple Katanas on her because everyone except Newt gives her an Agility mod. With the exception of Finch and arguably Kassandra Shield Hammers do very little for Morag because she is an Evasion tank and most of them promote face-tanking which is not her forte.
Theory and Aegaeon are always the optimal choice for her unless she needs different Elements (even then Perceval is an option).

17 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

My reasoning for putting Agate on Rex was for him to be able to launch enemies, allowing hime to do a full driver combo aside from break, which QTPi can do easily with speedy sword (I think that's that one)

Yeah I've got Gorg on my Rex, and it is a really nice feeling when somebody breaks a hardcore unique monster and I can just topple-launch-SMASH and watch that life bar lose a chunk all at once.

5 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

Rex and Morag are good. Though Axes on Rex are quite slow compared to Zeke. There is another Launch option for him though.

Ursula is only optimal as a Healer if you PC her. The AI doesn't abuse her switch healing nearly enough to make it count and Knuckle blades only have potions as a healing option. She is still not bad but another Healer Blade is probably better.
If you have Dahlia that would be a good Ice alternative. In general, focusing on Bitballs for Nia gives her a good Break focus which in turn allows her to setup Driver combos for you.

While Kos-Mos is good keep in mind that Ether Cannons are need to be built around since they scale with Ether not with Strength. Fortunately Zeke has both in spades. If you want to focus on Kos-Mos and potentially another Ether Cannon (Herald *cough*) Vale is the far superior Lance on Zeke. She gives him a good Ether mod and has very strong damage passives on her.
You could also include Herald as your electric element if you know what I mean. Kos-Mos, Herald and Vale is a very strong combo on Zeke giving him excellent mixed offense.

Since you don't have her, consider Pandoria, Wulfric and, of course, Zenobia (if you have her). That's his most damaging physical set and will tear a new one in everything he touches.

That's a pitfall. Focused builds are usually better and Morag greatly enjoys multiple Katanas on her because everyone except Newt gives her an Agility mod. With the exception of Finch and arguably Kassandra Shield Hammers do very little for Morag because she is an Evasion tank and most of them promote face-tanking which is not her forte.
Theory and Aegaeon are always the optimal choice for her unless she needs different Elements (even then Perceval is an option).

I do have dahlia... on Zeke (my struggle for KOS-MOS). I do have Vess until then to use for healing. 

Luckily I wasn't an idiot and pulled herald and got lucky and pulled vale on Zeke. So that's less pulling I have to do. (Dreading the day I run out of overdrives)

I do have Zenobia. Only blades in missing are newt and KOS-MOS

18 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I do have Vess until then to use for healing. 

To save your soul; if you have another Bitball then use that over her (like Floren comes in mind). If you don't have another Bitball, Ursula is fine. Nim or Kora are serviceable as well and of course Adenine is the goddess of farming.
Vess is probably one of the Top 5 Worst Blades in the game.

Could you list which characters have which Blades?

28 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

To save your soul; if you have another Bitball then use that over her (like Floren comes in mind). If you don't have another Bitball, Ursula is fine. Nim or Kora are serviceable as well and of course Adenine is the goddess of farming.
Vess is probably one of the Top 5 Worst Blades in the game.

Could you list which characters have which Blades?

Uhh I'll try. Game is at the other parents house 

Nia: Dromarch, Boreas, Vess, Ursula, Azami

Morag: Nim, Adenine, Brighid, Aegeaon, Theory, Finch

Zeke: Pandoria, Wulfric, Praxis, Herald, Vale, Dahlia, Floren, 

Rex: Agate, Roc, Mythra, Perceval, others

those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

what makes Vess so bad?

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

8 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

what makes Vess so bad?

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Vess is bad? This is news to me.

To be fair, all Blades are somewhat useable. If I say bad it is more in the line of outclassed or awkward niche. The Top 5 I am referring to are Godfrey, Gorg, Azami, Newt and her but all of these have niches they can be used for (especially Newt and Gorg together are a good combo on Zeke).
Not to mention Gacha forces you to work with what you have anyway so take this with a grain of salt.

Vess' problem lies with her underwhelming kit. Hp Mods are pretty much wasted on Healers and Crit up is kinda pointless since Bitballs aren't great for Crits. The Affinity boost for every miss and Absorb Damage are quite mediocre.
Space-Tea Time is pretty good early on because it can delay party-wipes but later on this really doesn't stay relevant enough. By that time you are probably crit healing, using Ursula, abusing Level 4 Specials and Chain Attacks for IF etc.
Her Level 1 Special heals but afaik the other don't which isn't great either.

Compared to her competition she has the least amount of healing or general utility.
Boreas shares the same disappointing mod but he makes up for it with his excellent line-up of Specials and decent Passives.
Floren is even better because she brings an Ether mod to the table.
Dahlia's offensive niche is simply greater whatever Vess is going to bring.
Even compared to Kora as an Electric HLR Blade she falls short since the latter has an Ether mod for Nia, decent Specials and her healing pot focus is at least useable healing (though unreliable).

Considering that fact that Bitballs are only good for healing (aka glued on Nia) Vess is definitely unimpressive and falls short.

5 hours ago, Zeratul said:

To be fair, all Blades are somewhat useable. If I say bad it is more in the line of outclassed or awkward niche. The Top 5 I am referring to are Godfrey, Gorg, Azami, Newt and her but all of these have niches they can be used for (especially Newt and Gorg together are a good combo on Zeke).
Not to mention Gacha forces you to work with what you have anyway so take this with a grain of salt.

Vess' problem lies with her underwhelming kit. Hp Mods are pretty much wasted on Healers and Crit up is kinda pointless since Bitballs aren't great for Crits. The Affinity boost for every miss and Absorb Damage are quite mediocre.
Space-Tea Time is pretty good early on because it can delay party-wipes but later on this really doesn't stay relevant enough. By that time you are probably crit healing, using Ursula, abusing Level 4 Specials and Chain Attacks for IF etc.
Her Level 1 Special heals but afaik the other don't which isn't great either.

Compared to her competition she has the least amount of healing or general utility.
Boreas shares the same disappointing mod but he makes up for it with his excellent line-up of Specials and decent Passives.
Floren is even better because she brings an Ether mod to the table.
Dahlia's offensive niche is simply greater whatever Vess is going to bring.
Even compared to Kora as an Electric HLR Blade she falls short since the latter has an Ether mod for Nia, decent Specials and her healing pot focus is at least useable healing (though unreliable).

Considering that fact that Bitballs are only good for healing (aka glued on Nia) Vess is definitely unimpressive and falls short.

Ahh okay. So mainly due to lack of decent skills and a bad HP mod

im glad Boreas has good skills though cause I will never stop using that guy 

Yo, we got the Blade pull rates (actual spoilers below)

Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/raw/dzuxLqGy

That pastebin contains the base rates

bTLer6o.png

And these are the pull rates at the most optimal condition (Legendary Core, max luck, etc).

KOS-MOS has a 0.714% chance of being pulled. Jesus Christ.

Played some more of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and I am currently doing Chapter 4.

Combat has definitely improved since the 3rd blade slot is now open and Chain Attacks are a thing. I think part of the problem was my first Rare Blade was Godfrey on Rex and I found him to be annoying to use. When I got Vale on Nia, I found controlling and playing as Nia to be much more enjoyable. However, it is still a bit slow and I'm still having some difficulty wrapping my head around the whole Blade Combo thing (Blade Combo -> Orbs -> Chain Attack -> Break Orbs -> Lots of DMG). My main problem is trying to build up to the 3rd combo. I guess I should just let the allies build up the 1st and 2nd while I finish off the combo myself since it takes ages for them to get to Level 3.
- - - - -
Anyways, any suggestions on my Blade plans? Ones in Red I do not have, and since I'm in CH 4, I don't have Zeke or Morag yet. I really want Morag, especially if she plays similarly to Dunban since I loved him in the original.

Spoiler

Rex: Pyra, Kassandra, Any
== Bonded Blades: Godfrey, Perceval
-- I plan to have Rex be an all rounder, with one ATK, one TNK, and one Healer. I also would like to have him outfitted with elemental opposites, so Fire/Water and Light/Dark (provided I understood the Pyra connection correctly, I'm not there yet. I also intend on utilizing the spoiler character, but then I'll need to rethink how I setup my party...)

Nia: Dromarch, Boreas, Ursula
== Bonded Blades: Boareas, Vale, Dagas
-- Nia is just a full on healer. If I feel like making her into an attacker, I would consider giving her Vale (who she already has) and maybe KOS-MOS, but a part of me wants KOS-MOS on Morag just because.

Morag: Brigid, Aegaeon, KOS-MOS
-- Morag is dodge tank since Tora serves as the classic bulky tank. I threw KOS-MOS on her because I plan on using Morag a lot and wonder how KOS-MOS plays, even if it is not the most efficient setup.
Zeke: Pandoria, (Agate or Dagas), Wulfric
-- Zeke is just here to be awesome and deal as much damage as possible. I haven't bonded Wulfric with anyone yet since I am waiting for Zeke to show up and become playable.

37 minutes ago, Sire said:

However, it is still a bit slow and I'm still having some difficulty wrapping my head around the whole Blade Combo thing (Blade Combo -> Orbs -> Chain Attack -> Break Orbs -> Lots of DMG). My main problem is trying to build up to the 3rd combo. I guess I should just let the allies build up the 1st and 2nd while I finish off the combo myself since it takes ages for them to get to Level 3.

A good way to speed things up would be to use pouch items. Pouch items can have various different effects (including speeding up Art and Special charges) and they stack. Chances are that you probably only have one pouch per character right now but you can expand that to two by finding pouch expansion kits. The rarer the pouch item, the better it's effects. You can get rarer items by upgrading shops, which is done by raising town development and doing certain Merc Missions, the former of which can be easily accomplished by salvaging and then selling everything you salvaged at trading posts. That's also a good way to earn money.

37 minutes ago, Sire said:

Anyways, any suggestions on my Blade plans? Ones in Red I do not have, and since I'm in CH 4, I don't have Zeke or Morag yet. I really want Morag, especially if she plays similarly to Dunban since I loved him in the original.

I think you're Rex setup is good. I do recommend giving him Roc since Roc is the only Blade that gives Rex a Smash Art (so if Rex has a Greataxe Blade as well, he can Topple with Pyra/Mythra, Launch with the Greataxe Blade and Smash with Roc). Keep in mind that Kasandra is a Shield Hammer Blade so she's kinda slow when attacking. Not Greataxe slow but still pretty slow. Other than that, it's good.

Nia's good to go. If you do want to give her an Attack Blade, the best option would be an Ether Cannon Blade, as Nia has the highest Ether.

For Morag, i recommend replacing KOS-MOS with someone else if only because KOS-MOS is factually the rarest Blade in the game (0.714% of getting her and that's with the most optimal conditions). If you get KOS-MOS, great, but if you're having trouble getting her, i recommend giving her another Chrome Katana Blade. If you want, Overdrive Perceval to her. Having to Blades of the same weapon actually isn't a bad idea tbh.

Zeke is good to go, just keep in mind that his Megalance Arts (mentioning this because you plan on giving him Wulfric) have super long animations before they actually hit (that's true with most of his Arts regardless, it's just Megalances get the worst of it). But hey, those long animations fit his character so i love it.

Anyway, those are my recommendations. My party is set up differently (for example, Morag has Kasandra) but that's the beauty of this game. Any set-up works. Some set-ups work better than others but there is no "bad" set-up.

Edited by Armagon

Comments in the quote.

1 hour ago, Sire said:

EDIT:
I don't know what happened but now I'm mad.

Spoiler

Rex:
You don't want to give him too many Rare Blades. Since you reached Chapter 4 you will quickly realize that he doesn't need too many other Blades and once you pass a certain point it stops to matter anyway.
Godfrey is not good but Perceval is greatly appreciated by Morag as a Dark Katana.

Nia:
Unless you plan to actively controlling her Ursula is rather wasted. Her healing works on Blade switch which the AI does not do enough to make it matter.
Her 3rd Blade for AI healing should be another Bitball like Floren or Dahlia. There is also the option to go for full cannon on her since she is the only character with an Ether focus.

Morag:
Not gonna lie ... Kos-Mos on Morag gave me an headache.
In general she is the Evade tank in the game and claims a monopoly on Chrome Katanas. All except Newt grant an Agility modifier plus help her to retain Aggro or deal more damage. One of her best choices comes from a Side Quest which you should be able to do soon enough.
Since you plan on controlling her giving her a Shield Hammer might be a good choice since it gives her a Topple to Brighid's Break Art. Kassandra is a really good choice, otherwise Finch works as well.
Another option is giving her Ursula but that's more because you want to control her.

Zeke:
He can go either mixed offense or pure physical devastation. The former requires him to have Vale and Kos-Mos (which is an hilarious coincidence btw.). The last Blade will come from another Sidequest. It makes very versatile thanks to Kos-Mos wide range of utility and absurd modifers from his Blades.
Otherwise Pandoria, Wulfric and an Axe works for the latter build. Agate is kinda redundant since Wulfric provides the Earth element. Dagas can work well but he requires significant amount of work. Obviously we cannot forget about Queen Zenobia and her disgusting amount of damage.

Edited by Zeratul

@Armagon

I've been using Pouch Items. I found that items that speed up the Arts Regen make the game more enjoyable, so I've been trying to use those when possible. I've also been using Merc Missions and trying to buy out the deeds from the shops so I can get the passive bonuses. I just wish there was an easier/nonlimited way to swap Blades between party members as that would help immensely with creating buildings and just messing around.

For Rex, I currently have him using Pyra, Roc, and Godfrey. At the moment I'm still in the classic "Break->Topple" mindset, but I'm trying to set up my guys to take advantage of the whole 4 phases. 

I've been thinking about giving Nia some Ether Cannons, but I haven't gotten any Rare ones yet. So, at the moment she will be using Dromarch, Boreas, and Vale/Ursula.

I'll think about Morag, mostly because I need to get her in my party first. I'm currently stuck in Chapter 4 because I can't get past the Field Check (Factory Vent) because I am lacking in Strength.

Glad to see Zeke is all right.

@Zeratul

I learned early on that Rex doesn't need Rare Blade (as well as what happens later) so I just gave him 2. He ended up getting Godfrey and Perceval. The rest of my Core Crystals are being saved for other characters, save for if I get bored and decided to spend a few on Nia.

A shame Ursula isn't that good if AI controlled (I just got her on Nia). I'll keep Ursula on for a while just to see how it works, otherwise I may just put Vale back in.

For Morag, I may try giving her Kassandra to her instead of Rex since Rex's Shield Hammer arts are a bit meh. I rather not turn Morag into a healer and I already have Ursula on Nia, so she'll stay with Nia.

I'll probably move Dagas over to Zeke when I get him since Nia doesn't have much a use for him. I don't have Zenobia, but I'll keep her in mind for party compositions.
Thanks for the help, guys!

1 hour ago, Sire said:

I'm currently stuck in Chapter 4 because I can't get past the Field Check (Factory Vent) because I am lacking in Strength.

Ok, so assuming you haven't gotten passed it as of the moment of me writing this, my recommendation is to bond Wulfric to someone now, since he has Superstrentgh, which is what you need. You can always Overdrive him over to Zeke later.

In general, anytime the story gives you a specific Blade, you want to bond them ASAP. Required Field Checks in the story will ask for Skills that every Blade you get throughout the story will have access to. There's also required Field Checks that ask for elemental masteries but you can pass those easily with Common Blades.

Also

1 hour ago, Sire said:

I've been thinking about giving Nia some Ether Cannons, but I haven't gotten any Rare ones yet. So, at the moment she will be using Dromarch, Boreas, and Vale/Ursula.

There is an Ether Cannon Blade that you can get without having to dive into the gacha system. Her name is Sheba and you can buy her Core Crystal at Torigoth Market for 500,000 gold. Sounds expensive but since you're in Ch.4, it'll be stupidly easy to earn money now.

The only downside to giving Sheba to Nia is that Sheba is also a Water Blade, so she'll clash with Dromarch, who is also a Water Blade.

Herald is the other guaranteed Rare Ether Cannon Blade but you won't have access to her until Ch.6

I Cannot wait for the dlc to come out. Was a bit sad that it was delayed D=.

I really like to play Morág as a Dodge Tank. My Blades on her are Ursula, Brighid and another Chrome Katana Blade for Agi boost. With the right skills she can dodge almost everything depending on the Enemy.
Hope that one of the DLC Blades will also help for a better Dodgetank build. Because for Dodge Tank she does not have that much room for different blades and I don't want to use more than 1 Chrome Katana with her.

If the DLC Blades would improve her, maybe my plan to make a build where she has under 30% HP with improved Evasion fighting alone could work.

Edited by Stroud

The soundtrack has a confirmed release for May 23rd.....in Japan. No word on an overseas release.

There are three versions, two of which are special editions. One of them has all of the songs in a USB, similar to Xenoblade X's special edition. Except it's sold out and they ain't making more (there were only 2000 available). The other special edition is the same but it comes with a CD instead. And then there's the regular edition that you can buy in stores. Since it is Amazon, you can import these, probably.

Update is out.

*ahem*

35LXiCA5yxckTQlphga_wO-KOfMmQUUJSthC5yW_

This is the best part. What it does is it boosts Pandoria's Art and Special cooldowns and speeds up Zeke's Art animations significantly. Basically, Zeke has Overdrive from X. You can see it in action here (there's an actual spoiler in the clip, don't open if you haven't beaten Ch.7)