FE Warriors DLC

FoxyGrandpa

20 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

I would have expected that if DLC was to be announced for the game it would be a few weeks or months after the release of said game.

i think they wanted to announce dlc as early as possible, to make some space for a potential fe16 teaser/trailer, since the main focus won't be warriors anymore

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

Baron the Shining Blade, you raise some excellent points and observations some of which I had not previously thought about or considered. And maybe the timing is normal in regards to DLC, but most of the games that I have that I got DLC for in most cases the game had already been out a while by the time I got it so I have no idea when the DLC for those games was released in relation to the game. However when a game has not even released yet, and announcements for DLC are being made it sounds early to me, I would have expected that if DLC was to be announced for the game it would be a few weeks or months after the release of said game.

During that period once the game is finished and is being checked over the devs have nothing to do. Before people were laid off from work for periods of time making nothing because there was no reason to keep them. Now during that wait period they work on extra content so they can still earn money.

2 hours ago, ChickenBits said:

During that period once the game is finished and is being checked over the devs have nothing to do. Before people were laid off from work for periods of time making nothing because there was no reason to keep them. Now during that wait period they work on extra content so they can still earn money.

The devs could very well work the DLC into the base game via pre-release patches, then. There is no reason (or justification) to announce or even just plan for any DLC before the game is even out. That just reeks of the usual 'Triple A' corporate greed we're all used to by now.

The least they could do is give us the extra content they made between the end of development and release on day one for free like Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth did and release any further additions to the roster they make for free, also like the aforementioned game (in Europe, at least).

By the way, don't you just love how IS or KC - whoever is responsible for the roster - is basically giving every fan of certain, very popular characters like Ike, Sigurd, Hector, Roy, etc. a giant middle finger? How people can stay hopeful for further DLC - content that should have been in the base game to begin with, mind you - after this announcement is beyond me, honestly.

In my opinion, and this might sound harsh, people like that really shouldn't be pointing fingers at characters like Corrin, Eirika or Celica, anyone really, be they real or fictional, for being naive.

Don't read the above statement if you get triggered easily.

I'm always glad to be proven wrong on things like this, though, so don't hold my words against me later down the line.

Edited by DragonFlames

But a game's release content needs to be locked in well before launch to give time for bugtests, producing the physical copies, and distribution. Sure, the dev team could sit on their asses and do nothing until the game is being sold so as to not rustle jimmies by finishing a piece of DLC before the game launches properly, but that's a laughable waste of time. Expecting stuff that gets made in that dead window to be handed to you for free is nothing but being entitled and greedy.

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The devs could very well work the DLC into the base game via pre-release patches, then. There is no reason (or justification) to announce or even just plan for any DLC before the game is even out. That just reeks of the usual 'Triple A' corporate greed we're all used to by now.

The least they could do is give us the extra content they made between the end of development and release on day one for free like Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth did and release any further additions to the roster they make for free, also like the aforementioned game (in Europe, at least).

By the way, don't you just love how IS or KC - whoever is responsible for the roster - is basically giving every fan of certain, very popular characters like Ike, Sigurd, Hector, Roy, etc. a giant middle finger? How people can stay hopeful for further DLC - content that should have been in the base game to begin with, mind you - after this announcement is beyond me, honestly.

Reveal hidden contents

In my opinion, and this might sound harsh, people like that really shouldn't be pointing fingers at characters like Corrin, Eirika or Celica, anyone really, be they real or fictional, for being naive.

I'm always glad to be proven wrong on things like this, though, so don't hold my words against me later down the line.

They can't release as patches though, during that period the game is getting ready for launch. Nothing is added during that period. Also the developers need to get paid for their work. Games are getting more expensive to make and dlc helps with those costs. Dlc is only scummy when it's content on the cartridge that you can't access. Essentially dlc is extra work so developers can put food on the table.

People are hopeful because the team will take fan opinions into consideration for future dlc. Mind you no one here 100% believes in that considering the pr's rep.

I got nothing for this other than you shouldn't take it personal if they exclude certain characters. It's just a game, if it bothers you go enjoy something else.

1 minute ago, familyplayer said:

I don't believe in this because they will probably listen to the Japanese fans more than the filthy gaijins Western fans

Considering they're being much more civil from what I understand, can you blame them...this time?

7 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

So, uh, what does tapping Chrom, Lucina, and Marth give?

It could be Falchion replicas like what happens when Marth or Lucina handle a weapon store in Fates.

Edited by NeonZ

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Hide contents

DLC, especially in Japanese games, tend to be announced early on. Fact is it won't be shown off until later, probably is nowhere near finished, etc. Also, as was said, games are completely finished months, at least 2 months, ahead of release to make time to burn discs or make carts, print case paper, manuals, etc. DLC is also used to help recoup costs so as to not have to charge even more for games. Beyond that, DLC tends to have a budget completely separate from the main game it's for.

Tecmo Koei could also still release free update DLC like they did with Hyrule Warriors to add the OC villains, Link's classic costume, and Medli into the game.

I also feel that feeling you were personally insulted/flipped off is a bit too emotional a reaction to anything like this. Yes, it sucks those classic characters weren't include..yet..but that's all.

2 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Are you saying she wasn't choosen for her popularity, then?

No. But popularity could be just one of several reasons for why Lyn made the cut. As in, it may not even be that important a reason for why she's here instead of some other guy.

Like, thinking back, the developers might have already known about her being in when they said that the game's roster is mostly focused on Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates, and that this wouldn't be a gathering of protagonists from the entire series. We've argued this front to back for whatever reason, but her being here doesn't directly contradict what they said because they did say "mostly".

Even with Lyn and Celica in, the roster and the series that affect the game's story and other modes remain the three games that they said they were going to focus on. Lyn and Celica only have the usual intro/victory cutscenes and playability to their name, Blazing Blade's portion in History Mode uses Marth, Chrom, and Robin as protagonists of the mode on a chapter that's likely based on the Chapter where you rescue Lyn (i.e. a chapter after she was relevant as a main lord) instead of the obvious way to make Lyn a protagonist by using a chapter based on her own story like the History Mode chapters focusing on a part from, well, the focus games (also also, I think that kind of implies that you might not have the chance to unlock her before getting to this part of History Mode since why would a character need to not be present at the start of a thing that's focusing on the game they came from).

And, you know, characters from the focus games taking roles in stuff that they don't have anything to do with (like the aforementioned Marth, Chrom, and Robin having roles in the Blazing Blade History Mode chapter) which implies the repping of non-focus games is gonna be pretty... not there besides whoever and whatever does get in.

And I could go into reasons for Lyn possibly being a clone of a focus character which would also imply stuff in terms of my argument and give more reasons for her popularity not being the entire reason for her existence, but as people have noted over the past few days, we do not actually know that she is a clone (even if I think there's a lot of circumstantial evidence pointing that way) so I'm gonna have to wait and see on that one.

I do agree she might as well be intended to be part of game from begenning, but let's be honest reason why Fate and Awakening is focus is because their popularity and Lyn isn's as ikonic character, in Japan at least, as Marth either.

So regardless whether she was last minute addition or planed early, unless she has role in story that is hardly replaceble, it would be her popularity among western fandom that earned her that spot.

Well, I would be fine with being wrong here.

Edited by Tenzen12

12 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

I do agree she might as well be intended to be part of game from begenning, but let's be honest reason why Fate and Awakening is focus is because their popularity and Lyn isn's as ikonic character, in Japan at least, as Marth either.

So regardless whether she was last minute addition or planed early, unless she has role in story that is hardly replaceble, it would be her popularity among western fandom that earned her that spot.

Fates's focus was because if it's recency and Awakening is an FE game that many fans have played and liked so alongside the oldest and the newest, it was the only "appeal to mostly everyone" option that made sense. Shadow Dragon of course is because it's the oldest one.

I'm not saying she was planned early; I don't think she was, given the ratio of non-focus mainline FE characters to focus mainline FE characters. In fact, I'd say she was one of the final two to make it in, the developers were mostly in the latter development phases, perhaps approaching 70% or were made around that time. She'd need supports, bonds, a moveset, dialogue, and of course content to complement her (like missions that maybe require her, missions that have her as an opponent, etc.) and they all need to work and work well before the game gets out. And Celica too for the matter. Heck, they might have decided that they support one another because hey, we're developing them at the same time, might as well take the easy path and have them support one another too so they have at least one Support Conversation ready at base.

And yes, she's popular, but I have my reasons to believe that the issue isn't as cut-and-dry as simply saying she's popular with a certain part of the fandom and calling it a day.

Edited by Folt

8 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

Baron the Shining Blade, you raise some excellent points and observations some of which I had not previously thought about or considered. And maybe the timing is normal in regards to DLC, but most of the games that I have that I got DLC for in most cases the game had already been out a while by the time I got it so I have no idea when the DLC for those games was released in relation to the game. However when a game has not even released yet, and announcements for DLC are being made it sounds early to me, I would have expected that if DLC was to be announced for the game it would be a few weeks or months after the release of said game.

While it may have been announced early the fact the the release date for the first pack is in December means that they are still working on it. I see this as them telling people that they will still support the game after launch with DLC. 

12 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

On a more constructive note, does anyone know when the season pass drops?

Outside Japan you can buy it starting from October 20th, the day the game releases. I don't know when it will be available in Japan though.

Edited by Lightchao42

10 hours ago, Deva Ashera said:

I also feel that feeling you were personally insulted/flipped off is a bit too emotional a reaction to anything like this. Yes, it sucks those classic characters weren't include..yet..but that's all.

That particular sentence wasn't from my personal point of view, it was from a general perspective, since I have seen many people who were hoping for these kinds of characters and then got shafted.
Personally, I too would have liked seeing someone like Ike, Hector or even someone from one of the games I haven't played (Sigurd, Leif), but I don't feel too strongly about that particular topic.

My personal favourites would never make the cut, no matter what. I'm realist enough to know that much.
Though for the record, two of them already did.

Also, I apologize if my rant came off as a bit harsh. I view DLC in general in a very critical light and with how business practices have been getting more and more anti-consumer in recent years, I have kind of developed a sort of vendetta against that kind of thing.
On the other hand, I WILL support DLC if I feel that the game / developer deserves my support by giving me a solid (not to mention complete) base game like Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, 7th Dragon III Code:VFD or Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, though in the latter two cases, the DLC was entirely free, funnily enough.

Edited by DragonFlames

I honestly thought for sure that we'd see a Shadows of Valentia DLC pack and a Blazing Blade DLC pack to balance out what's missing with Cellica and Lyn on the base game roster. Fates and Awakening packs seem greedy to cash in on the popularity of Azura and Tharja, though I would not be shocked at all if Tharja gets the Skull Kid in HW treatment pre-Legends.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:43 PM, Captain Karnage said:

I'm not that dissapointed, I don't see what's inhearitly wrong with complaining about creative decisisons, in my years studying of public management I've learned that listening to complaints is how you improve an organization.

and geeze you're making me sound like a no-life kneckbeard

And how is complaining on a forum effective?  If you want to be heard, contact IS/Koei Tecmo directly.  Over here, your feedback will be buried under a lot of other things.  This is a fansite forum, so the odds of your words reaching the appropriate ears are nil.

Might want to work on your wording, then.  Your voice/nonverbal speech is out of play on a forum, so all I have to rely on is words.

---

The price of the DLC is rather off-putting, and if my gut instinct is right, we may have a few more packs released at a later date.  If so, RIP my wallet.  I might skip some of it, just for the sake of my sanity.

14 hours ago, eclipse said:

The price of the DLC is rather off-putting, and if my gut instinct is right, we may have a few more packs released at a later date.  If so, RIP my wallet.  I might skip some of it, just for the sake of my sanity.

I'm optimistic about the DLC. Hyrule Warriors & Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC Season Passes were $20 too and both offered a ton of content..so I'm sure I'll be content with what's offered.

So they've put the US pricing for the season pass at $20? Not bad since thats a little cheaper than the Japanese equivalent.

HW sold 5 movesets + other stuff for $20, and HWL sold 6 for 15 (but didn't have to make the 3DS models HD, so I'd expect that saved a little) + other stuff. So if 6 movesets will be coming our way, and each pack gets 2, then that could round out all the major plot-important characters in Fates, and squeeze in a little extra Awakening and SD. Albeit far less still than ideal. Perhaps they'll be generous and make each pack 3 new characters. And one to three free DLC chars would help too.

I want to gripe that we'll be paying $80 for what should've been in the $60 base game. But I'm feeling too empathetic and even sympathetic to go that way. I don't want to be an angry greedy fan who doesn't understand the heavy workload that goes into a game like this.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer