Could the story of Fates be an analogy to the fanbase?

The_antithesis

Looking back at the story of Fire Emblem, Fates, I couldn't help but notice parallels between Hoshido and Nohr, and the two halves of our fanbase.

Hoshido is based on Japan, while Nohr is based on Europe (Probably Scotland). There is a stereotype that most of the newer fans are into Japanese culture, and most of the older fans want the game to stick to it's Europe-esque roots.

Nohr has internal conflicts, like how the GBA fans don't have very good relations with the Tellius fandom. Also note how Nohr is aggressive and constantly tries to take over other kingdoms, like how the older fans tend to be the least tolerant.

Hoshido, on the other hand, has an abundance of resources, like how IS constantly panders to the Awakening/Fates fans. Although Hoshido contains some bigotry, and still involves itself in the conflict, it tends to be peaceful, like the relatively kind awakening fans.

Then there's the obvious mechanics difference between Birthright and Conquest.

Finally, the story of Fates was stupid, and should never have happened, much like the conflicts in our fandom!

Thoughts?

Edited by The_antithesis
Curse you, spelling mistakes!

Interesting analysis. The Hoshido favoritism both in story and gameplay (seriously, all their weapon types have stat bonuses except clubs which get extra crit (not that it matters given the 3DS games' RNG)) also can represent how IS panders to Awakening/Fates fans alongside making the game easier.

(I still play on casual though.)

2 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

Finally, the story of Fates was stupid, and should never have happened, much like the conflicts in our fandom!

The only thing I 100% agree with here.

But in all seriousness, I kinda get it.  Though I think both "sides" have equally bad extremes among the fandom.  I'd only slightly tolerate the "newb" side more because I'm sort of a newbie myself (at least in that I started with Awakening) and can more sympathize with their "plight".  But I've seen what one might describe as the "heart of darkness" for that side of the fandom, and it's pretty goddamn terrible.

One thing that's allegorical for certain is that the conflicts are all entirely pointless, because there's a third option that's objectively better.  In Fates it's Revelation, while among the fandom it is simply learning to accept the opinions of others instead of tearing people down just for having different preferences.

it's not that fates is an analogy of the fe fanbase: the developers themselves took part to this "war"

the developers split in two different groups: one wanted to go back to the classical style of fire emblem, like the gba or tellius ones, while the other one wanted to do even more "casual-friendly" (sorry for the term, but that's the truth) mechanics

the result is that you can clearly feel the incoherence of the game and all the different ideas they threw in, even if they had nothign in common, all due to the fact that the developers themselves had different visions

btw, yes, i thought the same after playing fates: nohrians were the "elitists" and hoshido were the "casuals"

PS: i think it's important to note that hoshido, in birthright (representing casual fans) completely obliterates nohr (elitists), destroying everything they had, even though the hoshidians were the pacific ones

IntSys, if that's true, i'm really scared of you

So in this case, would Anankos be Advance Wars, who wants revenge on IS for forgetting about it? And...

• Corrin is IS/FE, of course.
  • Azura, who offers Corrin constant guidance and knows more about the grand scheme of things than they do, is Nintendo itself?
  • The rest of the neutral characters are fans (regardless of what game they started with) that will stick with the series no matter what direction they pursue.

23 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

• The rest of the neutral characters are fans (regardless of what game they started with) that will stick with the series no matter what direction they pursue.

The fanbase needs more Izanas

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

The fanbase needs more Izanas

"That's a whole lotta Izana! KEEHEEHEE!"

Anyway, it's a cool theory, and I'd be willing to pursue it more. Of course, it should be noted that I highly doubt the games were intended that way, but they simply played out as so. It also questions what role Revelations has. Might it be a telling of the future when the "casual scum" and "elitists" meet together... and should we celebrate or fear what might happen?

7 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

Looking back at the story of Fire Emblem, Fates, I couldn't help but notice parallels between Hoshido and Nohr, and the two halves of our fanbase.

Hoshido is based on Japan, while Nohr is based on Europe (Probably Scotland). There is a stereotype that most of the newer fans are into Japanese culture, and most of the older fans want the game to stick to it's Europ-esque roots.

Nohr has internal conflicts, like how the GBA fans don't have very good relations with the Tellius fandom. Also note how Nohr is aggressive and constantly tries to take over other kingdoms, like how the older fans tend to be the least tolerant.

Hoshido, on the other hand, has an abundance of resources, like how IS constantly panders to the Awakening/Fates fans. Although Hoshido contains some bigotry, and still involves itself in the conflict, it tends to be peaceful, like the relatively kind awakening fans.

Then there's the obvious mechanics difference between Birthright and Conquest.

Thoughts?

I can see this. 

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I think you're reading too much into this, like that idiot who makes the Game theory videos on YouTube.

Did you know that Azura might actually be SANDS from Undertale???

I think it's totally fine to read into games in this way as long as you keep it reasonable and sane, and you aren't trying to ruin it for others.

That being said, there have been plenty of times that I've thought some theories were just stupid and people trying too hard.  When you take games too seriously, you probably should go outside more.

4 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

Might it be a telling of the future when the "casual scum" and "elitists" meet together... and should we celebrate or fear what might happen?

I mean...

It's already happened here and on GameFAQs.

And if these collisions are any indication, I say we should be very afraid.

What would be the point of writing such a story, short of sowing conflict?  Because the "third" solution features the maps that are the least fun, along with the story that was the least plausible IMO (post-jump, that is), which required an additional payment to unlock.

Interesting theory, though.

But I don't care much for the older games while I'm loving conquests so far and I'm sure I'll love the other 3ds games once I get them (I've watched lets plays of them).

Conquest just has all my favorite classes and I like the retainers more than the ones on the hoshido side. The visual style of Nohr is more appealing to me as well as the higher difficulty. The maps have been great so far.

Also, "Camilla looks like she needs company or something......I don't know. Sorry. " lol Kills me everytime.

Edited by wissenschaft

20 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

So in this case, would Anankos be Advance Wars, who wants revenge on IS for forgetting about it? And...

• Corrin is IS/FE, of course.
  • Azura, who offers Corrin constant guidance and knows more about the grand scheme of things than they do, is Nintendo itself?

I miss Advance Wars. Come on IS, make a new Advance Wars game that goes back to the old mechanics! (And by old mechanics, I meant Black Hole Rising with a few tweaks here and there.)

11 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

But I don't care much for the older games while I'm loving conquests so far and I'm sure I'll love the other 3ds games once I get them (I've watched lets plays of them).

Conquest just has all my favorite classes and I like the retainers more than the ones on the hoshido side. The visual style of Nohr is more appealing to me as well as the higher difficulty. The maps have been great so far.

Also, "Camilla looks like she needs company or something......I don't know. Sorry. " lol Kills me everytime.

Hahahahaha. Wait, does Obsidian Wasp go on the forums? I'm not sure. Out of all the FE youtubers, I've only seen Ghast.

2 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

Out of all the FE youtubers, I've only seen Ghast.

Mangs too, mostly to post spotlight videos. SoC also has a Youtube account of repute.

I can see the comparison, it's honestly a pretty decent conclusion. Though I doubt that was an intentional design choice. Especially if the best part of the dream path (aka Revelation) is that you got to use boxes for a barrier.

It's not an analogy. Fates was effectively a marketing test for which direction the series would continue in.

Spoilers: Conquest won by a landslide.

Edit: I eagerly await the anouncement of advance wars days of ruin 2: Tanks on a plane.

Edited by joshcja

On 24/09/2017 at 2:59 PM, Lightchao42 said:

So in this case, would Anankos be Advance Wars, who wants revenge on IS for forgetting about it?

I never thought of that! Well spotted. Maybe a sign that the series will return?

Because the quote system doesn't work on edits and I can't double-post. @NinjaMonkey said "I think you're reading too much into this, like that idiot who makes the Game theory videos on YouTube.

Firstly, read my signature. 'Tis appropriate for this discussion. Anyway, this, like any other fan-theory (or, as MatPat would say "Game Theory!") isn't meant to be taken as canon. It was just something I thought about after the Lyn vs Camilla salt (ironic, because Camilla is from Nohr, I know. :>_<:)

Edited by The_antithesis

1 minute ago, The_antithesis said:

I never thought of that! Well spotted. Maybe a sign that the series will return?

Maybe, but Anankos ends up dying (when the two halves of the fanbase come together) so maybe not. Though the similarities are uncanny if you apply Anankos's quotes to Advance Wars.

“Why am I left to suffer? Why am I the one left to die? Why does Fire Emblem flourish while I am buried here...ignored...forgotten? TELL ME WHY!”

GBA fans don't like Tellius fans and vice versa? I'm more of a Tellius fan, but aren't GBA fans and Tellius fans, like, both "old fans"?

@wissenschaft I laughed my butt off at that omg. Also Takumi is stuck with a derp face throughout that ENTIRE thing.

Edited by Dragoncat