Dawn Brigade suggestions

Urvan

I'm trying to get through the Dawn Brigade portion of the game, but find myself never wanting to play just because the DB portion is a bit boring. Any suggestions for a fun play-through of DB?

P.S. Only fun play through I've had was make Edward god mode.

I agree, but you might want to make the title a bit more...I dunno, tame? It's a tad harsh.

I don't like the DB or their chapters at all. As units they're too weak and can't keep up with the ones you get later, and as characters they're flat and boring because they lack proper supports and such to flesh them out.

Actually use meg for shits and giggles...ok that might actually be more annoying than fun but its an idea all the same.

Honestly really all I can think of is either goofy stuff using bad units ironically or training any specific unit to be really good.

The title is not only overharshed, but also totally not related to the actual content.

Anyways the DB is my favorite party because it's the only party which offers a certain difficulty challenge in this game till part 3 for me.
Unfortunately certain units like Meg or Fiona suffer from it on higher difficulties.

The DB is competitive in certain classes or even better than the GM pendant like Nolan > Boyd.
Edward will turn out as good as Mia but it is just harder to train him due to the lack of authority stars on Micaiah.

Fiona is technically the best silver / gold knight... but her base level and stats disqualify her for most players. 

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I don't like the DB or their chapters at all. As units they're too weak and can't keep up with the ones you get later

Given that you play on Easy, like me, that's not true at all. I can easily get a 20/20/1 Trueblade Edward by 3-13, while my GM's are in the region of x/20/6 at the same point.

4 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Given that you play on Easy, like me, that's not true at all. I can easily get a 20/20/1 Trueblade Edward by 3-13, while my GM's are in the region of x/20/6 at the same point.

I never was able to make them on par with the Greil Mercs though... And I really did try.

Edited by Anacybele

Even in hard mode by using master crowns you can have third tier DB members at the end of part 3.
Third tier Edward, Nolan and especially Jill aren't uncommon at all.

Easy mode is paragon mode. At the end of part 1 you'll have pretty much all the DB members promoted aside of Laura, Fiona and maybe Meg. In part 3 each killed Laguz gives like one level up. 

The thing with the DB is that you have to be very selective with using them. You can raise 1 or 2, more on easy, but trying to spread yourself thin will just leave them all in an unusable state. Some of them have niche uses, Nolan and Jill are faster than their GM counterparts, Nolan by growths(thusly a blessed Boyd can still make his advantages moot, but the Tarvos is a very good weapon and Reavers have extremely solid caps, so there's no downside to attempting to train Nolan), and Jill by caps. This is the reason why these two are typically the recommended DB members to train, since they offer something over their counterpart. The others, well...

Edward and Zihark are more work to use than Mia is, and they don't offer anything over her if trained. Edward especially doesn't offer any real advantages for all of the additional effort he requires to use longterm over the others, and easily has the worst of the DB exclusive weapons, so favouritism aside he's best dropped so you can focus elsewhere. Zihark is easier to use than Edward, but again, doesn't offer any particular niche. He works well enough but he is neither the best DB nor the best Trueblade/Sword user to train. Aran is a Str/Def counterpart to Nephenee's speed, but speed is the more important stat, and her caps are better suited to longterm use due to said speed. Nephenee is also easier to get up to par, generally. Leonardo is... statistically the worst of the Marksmen, and his Lughnasadh, while a good weapon, doesn't offer him any thresholds the other marksmen miss, and Leonardo isn't typically a strong enough unit to be used outside of favouritism. Meg is an armour knight, which is bad enough, but she's not even a particularly good one. She also has Tauroneo for direct competition within the DB. Fiona is... Fiona. Her caps are good, and along with Astrid she's the most endgame suited of the Horse mounted units but... why?

Volug, Sothe, and Tauroneo are good units with little resource requirements. Use them as needed, try to get Volug to S strike in part 1, and don't worry about their longterm prospects because they don't matter all that much. Tormod and pals can be splashed in part 1, but don't expect much due to availability, and Nailah is a royal, enough said.

tl:dr if you want to use favouritism, all of the DB are usable enough(save Meg and Fiona for easy mode though) but the only ones really "worth" investing into are Nolan and Jill, as they offer a niche over their counterparts. All of the others are equivalent or worse than alternatives at best, while requiring more investment and effort to use. 

I always have Jill and Zihark on my end team fully leveled no problems and I always level Sothe and Micky up to full level as well.  Of course I am one of those people who use the units they like no matter how "bad" they are, though with FE any unit can be god tier if trained.  If you baby the DB for the first few chapters it really pays off by the end of part one and makes them ready for part three.

Yeah the title is very harsh on them. There is usually a unit always worth bringing from the group. It's usually Nolan, but I did have a playthrough that Nolan ended up speed screwed and I brought Edward and Leonardo. I just don't like Michiah because she's not that easy to raise. The rest of the Dawn Brigade and the units that join them are not horrible.

2 hours ago, ChaoticHoundoom said:

I just don't like Michiah because she's not that easy to raise.

Well, there are plenty of armour/cavalry units to Thani-bomb in Part 1, it's just Parts 3 and 4 that the problem.

3 hours ago, Ether said:

Edward and Zihark are more work to use than Mia is, and they don't offer anything over her if trained. 

More strength to actually kill enemies without relying on critical hits.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Well, there are plenty of armour/cavalry units to Thani-bomb in Part 1, it's just Parts 3 and 4 that the problem.

Yeah that's where usually most of my problems with her come from are in Parts 3 and 4. I will agree with you on that.

Edited by ChaoticHoundoom

22 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

More strength to actually kill enemies without relying on critical hits.

1 higher str cap which she easily hits that's offset by her +Atk affinity? I'm so impressed.

Zihark and Edward have total different purposes in part 3. 

Zihark, thanks to earth affinity, works as front unit. He needs at least B-support with either Nolan or Volug and resolve to dodgetank the laguz. However the resolve thing might not work if a cat attacks him first and can't bring him down to resolve zone. A tiger easily could finish him off.

Edward will be the more powerful of the two most likely. I always support him with Leonardo to give him extra attack power. In 3-6 I usually unequip him down to bring him down to wrath-zone by a tiger. After that he attacks only with range swords to get some free kills. Using him in close combat is suicide for him due to his high critrate. I never gave him earth-support a / o resolve because it would screw  the earth unit. 

• Urvan changed the title to The Dawn Brigade Is Kinda Boring. Except Meg. Meg Is The Best.

As someone who's first game was Radiant Dawn, I love all the characters in the game, including the Dawn Brigade despite being a pain in the butt to train. While its true most of them weren't really fleshed out, we at least got glimpses of their personalities and backstories. I found them charming, especially Edward and Leonardo. I hope this game is remade so we get to see more of the Dawn Brigade! 

1 hour ago, Urvan said:

I made the name the name accurate. Meg is the best. 10/10 top tier.

She's Meg-a good. 

Okay I'll stop

I think otherwise.  If I can't figure out what you want in your topic by topic title alone, it's a bad title.  I almost moved this to Far from the Forest.

Anyway, if you want to try something completely out there, have Zihark support one of Nolan/Volug.  The result is pretty funny, IMO.

• eclipse changed the title to Dawn Brigade suggestions
  • 1 month later...