Japanese Fans voted for their favorite FE

Dandy Druid

Here's the link to the article, btw: https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2017/09/20/109838_3.html

And so, here is the results:

Spoiler

17th place: Shadow Dragon (FE11)

16th place: BS Fire Emblem: Akaneia Saga

15th place: Fire Emblem Heroes

14th place: Fire Emblem Gaiden

13th place: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (FE1)

12th place: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow

11th place: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

10th place: Fire Emblem Awakening

9th place: Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

8th place: Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

7th place Fire Emblem Fates

6th place: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

5th place: Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade

4th place: Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem

3rd place: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

2nd place: Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword

1st place: Fire Emblem: Geneology of the Holy War

Courtesy of Reddit.

So are you guys shocked/surprised with the results?

Edited by Dandy Druid

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually linked that on the Warrior subforum, but later realized that very few people had actually participated. I think the small sample size makes it hard to draw any real conclusions of the Japanese fanbase's tastes, though I have heard before that they love their Genealogy, so that at least lines up with previous hearsay. 

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

I actually linked that on the Warrior subforum, but later realized that very few people had actually participated. I think the small sample size makes it hard to draw any real conclusions of the Japanese fanbase's tastes, though I have heard before that they love their Genealogy, so that at least lines up with previous hearsay. 

I'm sorry I didn't see it. I should've checked more carefully. I thought it would be in general FE, since it talks about all the games.

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

What's up with the low Archenean placement. Aren't the Japanese the ones who like that continent the most?

FE3/Mystery of the Emblem was the most popular I thought, and it's 4th on the list. I don't think the other Archanean games are as popular, usually the love for Archanea goes to FE3. What I do find shocking is that BS FE beat out Shadow Dragon though.

Also, the weird results may stem from the small sample size, so it's not indicative of the majority of FE players (including casuals). Although FE4 was also popular in Japan, I didn't expect it to be #1.

Just now, Dandy Druid said:

I'm sorry I didn't see it. I should've checked more carefully. I thought it would be in general FE, since it talks about all the games.

Oh, no no, I didn't mean it like that at all, merely that I had seen it but didn't bring it up here because of the small number of participants. It's still always interesting to discuss results such as these, but keep in mind that results can be very skewed, especially with the low number of voters. For example, if you were to ask everyone on Serenes what their favorite Fire Emblem was, that would most likely not be representative of the fandom as a whole. 

Huh, I coulda sworn FE9 and FE10 had a worse reputation in Japan, but they scored relatively where we would probably put it. I guess homogenization is somewhat in effect. Also Heroes is oddly low, I know it's FE bite-sized but I wasn't expecting it to be lower than Gaiden of all things.

I'm personally surprised how far up FE7 and FE9 are. I would have figured they'd be considered too easy or dumbed down for Americans.

Also, what's up with the mix of game names? "Rekka no Ken" instead of "Blazing Sword" or "The Blazing Blade"? And FE1's localized title being used for FE11?

12 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

Huh, I coulda sworn FE9 and FE10 had a worse reputation in Japan, but they scored relatively where we would probably put it. I guess homogenization is somewhat in effect. Also Heroes is oddly low, I know it's FE bite-sized but I wasn't expecting it to be lower than Gaiden of all things.

I'm not sure if Heroes really counts as a main installment.  The gameplay is fun, but its plot is threadbare, and it's a bit simplistic compared to most FE games.

19 minutes ago, Cowboy Karimov said:

I'm personally surprised how far up FE7 and FE9 are. I would have figured they'd be considered too easy or dumbed down for Americans.

Also, what's up with the mix of game names? "Rekka no Ken" instead of "Blazing Sword" or "The Blazing Blade"? And FE1's localized title being used for FE11?

Not to mention FE1 referred to as just that when every other title got their proper names.

wow

just... wow

genealogy is 1st?!? japanese fe fans, i love you! i actually don't care about them too much; also, path of radiance is 3rd? damn, that's really shocking, in a positive way

it makes me wonder why PoR sold so bad in japan if they like it so much

i know few people took part to this poll, but i'll take it for what it is: japanese fe fans voting their favorite fe title

PS: seeing radiant dawn behind fates makes my eyes bleed... well, too bad, i always consider RD with PoR, so i don't care

Well, Fire Emblem 3 and 4 have sold very well in Japan with Mystery of the Emblem selling approximately 600,000 units and Genealogy of the Holy War selling approximately 400,000 units, so this isn't very surprising.

Also which sold worse? FE1 and FE11? I heard that FE11 had average sales compared to that of FE9 and 10.

lol at BS Fire Emblem being part of the poll. And I would love to believe Japanese fans hate Shadow Dragon as much as I do (I'd still probably rank FE 1 and 2 as worse than it if I had more experience to fairly judge them). Heroes being so low is not right. I think one day we're going to have to reconcile with the fact that a mobile game is a contender for best Fire Emblem game.

Anyway, we don't have any details for this poll. Is it just a poll that a few dozen people took in person at TGS? Can't imagine wasting valuable time at an event like that doing a poll unless it was something I could do while waiting in line to check out something important. These results feel pretty similar to what I expect a Serenes Forest poll to look like. With the biggest exception of Heroes, that's an easy top 5.

Glad to see the love for Tellius! Even if it didn't quite beat FE7 for some reason. And even if RD actually only made the halfway point. Also glad to see all three above Awakening. Fates above RD though? ...Just no. >.>

Geneology winning I'm cool with too, means it could be remade next!

But where's Shadow Dragon? I see FE1 listed twice... But its remake isn't there.

@Quintessence Because it has its own lords, FE style gameplay, and story?

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Glad to see the love for Tellius! Even if it didn't quite beat FE7 for some reason. And Even if RD actually only made the halfway point.

But where's Shadow Dragon? I see FE1 listed twice... But its remake isn't there.

I think that's meant to be rank 13. The remake is FE11, so they forgot to put the other 1 there.

Also huh, I am glad that Awakening is at least in the top 10, but ouch for Echoes to be ranked less, and dammit for Fates to be ranked 7. 

Edited by omegaxis1

58 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

Can we safely assume an FE4 remake is coming?

Also why is Heroes considered a main game?

I'd say the next remake will be FE4 if they want to please the Japanese market, FE6 if they want to please the Western market.

And I'd say Heroes is about as, if not more fit to be a main game as BS is, honestly. And weren't the poll conductors supposed to be listing every FE game anyway? It looks like it's for the entire series.

Semi-related, the Japanese number every single FE game no matter how "big" it is. When i last checked their numbering system was one ahead of ours, Heroes might make that two ahead.

Edited by Cowboy Karimov

Comments

1. FE4 - I haven't played much of FE4, but it's different.  It can be much better than it is with some tweaking though.

2. FE7 - I like FE7.  I actually rate it as #2 myself, though I put it below FE6, not FE4.

3. FE9 - I don't agree with this being so high.  And that's all I will say on the matter.

4. FE3 - Haven't played but I expected a Japanese poll to rank this as #1, lol.  Other than that, no comment.

5. FE6 - Best game at 5... I guess I can live with it.  Don't particularly like seeing it below FE9, but I guess I can say that about most FE games...

6. FE8 - Well, it has my fourth favorite character (Eirika) and it's my favorite game storywise.  So it being high is cool.

7. FE14 - Split this by route next time, poll.  Then we'll talk.

8. FE10 - I like FE10!  It got me into FE.  And it has Micaiah... but it also has a one man spotlight stealing squad.  I wouldn't so much rank it higher as I would rank other games above it lower.  

9. FE5 - I have played less of FE5 than I have of FE4.  Some things about it look interesting, others... not so much.

10. FE13 - I'm sure at this point we are all very much aware what I think of this game.

11. FE15 - Best presentation and some interesting things vs tragic map design.  I guess that gets it in the middle!

12. FE12 - Japan must hate Kris.  Not that I don't agree with them...

13. FE1 - How this beat FE11 is an eternal mystery to me.  Actually not really, it's obviously due to nostalgia.  Must be a pretty powerful drug or something.

14. FE2 - Interestingly, this is the only remade game to be beaten by its remake.  I guess nostalgia isn't a very strong drug in this case.

15. FEH - I like FEH!  I would probably put it higher, since while it's simple, I wouldn't think that makes it bad and the game works wonderfully within its constraints.  The devs are also very receptive to feedback which helps improve things people didn't like much (remember when we couldn't reposition units at the start of maps?)

16. BSFE - Never played, lol

17. FE11 - The fact this, of all things is what got rock bottom is kinda sad.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Glad to see the love for Tellius! Even if it didn't quite beat FE7 for some reason. And Even if RD actually only made the halfway point.

@Quintessence Because it has its own lords, FE style gameplay, and story?

FE11 is rock bottom, looking at the link, the rock bottom entry says DS.  The higher one is FE1.

「あなたが好きな『ファイアーエムブレム』作品は?」
1位 聖戦の系譜(SFC):666票(20.3%)
2位 烈火の剣(GBA):399票(12.2%)
3位 蒼炎の軌跡(GC):361票(11%)
4位 紋章の謎(SFC):282票(8.6%)
5位 封印の剣(GBA):237票(7.2%)

6位 聖魔の光石(GBA):214票(6.5%)
7位 if(3DS):193票(5.9%)
8位 暁の女神(Wii):185票(5.7%)
9位 トラキア776(SFC):156票(4.8%)
10位 覚醒(3DS):142票(4.3%)

11位 Echoes もうひとりの英雄王(3DS):118票(3.6%)
12位 新・紋章の謎 ~光と影の英雄~(DS):73票(2.2%)
13位 暗黒竜と光の剣(FC):69票(2.1%)
14位 外伝(FC):59票(1.8%)
15位 ヒーローズ(iOS/Android):41票(1.3%)
16位 アカネイア戦記(SFC サテラビュー):40票(1.2%)
17位 新・暗黒竜と光の剣(DS):38票(1.2%)

Edited by Glaceon Mage

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

FE11 is rock bottom, looking at the link, the rock bottom entry says DS.  The higher one is FE1.

You sure? I'd be very surprised if the Japanese prefer a poorly aged original over its remake...

Just now, Anacybele said:

You sure? I'd be very surprised if the Japanese prefer a poorly aged original over its remake...

Absolutely sure.  In the link in the OP, number 17 is 

Which is a DS game.

So... yeah, nostalgia OP I guess unless you're Gaiden.

4 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Absolutely sure.  In the link in the OP, number 17 is 

Which is a DS game.

So... yeah, nostalgia OP I guess unless you're Gaiden.

Huh...wow. :/

Well, I'm most impressed with PoR's placement! I love the game, but remember Tellius sadly bombed saleswise all over while games like Awakening and Fates were hot sellers. I'm certain Echoes and New Mystery and some others also sold better. So PoR being as high as it is is a feat! Way to go, Ike's debut! <3

This makes me wonder how many people would love Tellius right now if it HAD actually sold well!

Edited by Anacybele

I'll just say this straight up - I fail to see what the Japanese see in FE4 that makes it so liked. And frankly, Shadow Dragon being at the very bottom amuses me... Because that's precisely where I'd rank it.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

Oh, no no, I didn't mean it like that at all, merely that I had seen it but didn't bring it up here because of the small number of participants. It's still always interesting to discuss results such as these, but keep in mind that results can be very skewed, especially with the low number of voters. For example, if you were to ask everyone on Serenes what their favorite Fire Emblem was, that would most likely not be representative of the fandom as a whole. 

Oh ok. I thought you had already made a thread about it, which got me worried. Glad to see that was not the case. 

Yeah the sample size is really small, but I found it interesting enough to post. Makes you wonder how popular FE4, FE7, and FE9 really are.

What I like about the list: Fates above Awakening and Radiant Dawn. Fire Emblem 7 at number 2.

What I dislike about the list: Shadow Dragon at last.

In the end, it's just a meaningless list, but it's fun to see how a group of people rate the games.