Japanese Fans voted for their favorite FE

Dandy Druid

I had a feeling that Genealogy would be #1, but it's still a bit surprising to see.

Definitely some very nice results.  FE7 and FE9 near the top, the 3DS games not too high and with Fates as the highest, and Shadow Dragon all the way at the bottom lol.  Heroes might deserve a bit more credit, but there's plenty of good reasons to dislike that game so whatever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I'm surprised PoR is so popular in Japan. I thought the Japanese didn't like the Tellius games much. 

I know Radiant Dawn didn't sell well, but I'm not sure about PoR. 

It could be that PoR fans aren't necessarily a whole lot, but very dedicated. Plus, the poll was quite small. I'm guessing they got it from a site with a lot of veteran fans.

1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

I know Radiant Dawn didn't sell well, but I'm not sure about PoR. 

It could be that PoR fans aren't necessarily a whole lot, but very dedicated. Plus, the poll was quite small. I'm guessing they got it from a site with a lot of veteran fans.

I'm currently playing through the game right now. Just two more chapters to go. PoR did slightly better than RD. Quite surprising that RD is one of the worst selling, if not the worst selling FE game considering it was on a successful console. 

44 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I'm currently playing through the game right now. Just two more chapters to go. PoR did slightly better than RD. Quite surprising that RD is one of the worst selling, if not the worst selling FE game considering it was on a successful console. 

The thing that hurt Radiant Dawn was this it was released in a time of heavy competition (Super Mario Galaxy and few other big names). Also, some reviewers didn't give it a good score, citing "too hard" and "no mii support", some people may have been discouraged with that. Then the director of FE stated he would no longer make another FE for a home console. 10 years later and there's a home console FE game being made. Granted, it's sort of a hybrid so silver lining.

It's a real shame it didn't sell well though, more people need to hear that wonderful narrator's voice.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

Also, some reviewers didn't give it a good score, citing "too hard" and "no mii support",

Well the too hard thing is relatable because some idiot translated "Normal" to Easy and "Hard" to Normal. So all reviewers in the west unknowingly played Hard mode when they picked Normal as the middle option.  Most of us fell for the same trick for our first playthroughs. It also doesn't help that Radiant Dawn was the hardest game in the series for its time, and the longest by far.

16 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Well the too hard thing is relatable because some idiot translated "Normal" to Easy and "Hard" to Normal. So all reviewers in the west unknowingly played Hard mode when they picked Normal as the middle option.  Most of us fell for the same trick for our first playthroughs. It also doesn't help that Radiant Dawn was the hardest game in the series for its time, and the longest by far.

The review in I had in mind said "easy mode was too hard", which is understandable, especially if you're not the type to enjoy SRPGs.

But the lack of mii support was really a thing they graded harshly on.

4 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is BS - just how many games have Mii support??? Because I wouldn't expect to see, say, Super Mario Galaxy get eviscerated just for no Mii support.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

4 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is BS - just how many games have Mii support??? Because I wouldn't expect to see, say, Super Mario Galaxy get eviscerated just for no Mii support.

From what I remember, the reviewer stated that they didn't like SRPGs, so they just through any detail they could to give it a lousy score.

8 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

The review in I had in mind said "easy mode was too hard", which is understandable, especially if you're not the type to enjoy SRPGs.

Reviews were also critical of the lack of proper motion controls. Which, in hindsight, is really hilarious. 

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Reviews were also critical of the lack of proper motion controls. Which, in hindsight, is really hilarious. 

Just thinking that you would need to flail your arms to scroll up and down the huge maps of RD makes my arms hurt.

6 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Just thinking that you would need to flail your arms to scroll up and down the huge maps of RD makes my arms hurt.

Yeah. Of all the things the Wii did, it seems like most people don't hold the waggle and IR pointer in super high regards these days. I have a hard time going back and playing games that did it poorly(Which was a LOT of games). They completely ruined my experience of Twilight Princess, and people I know who talked to who played it on GC all have a much better opinion of the game than I do.

When the Switch had new, updated versions of the Wiimote, a lot of people were REALLY happy that they were optional.

So yeah. It's strange to go back and read RD reviews where a lot of negatives came from the lack of motion controls.

27 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yeah. Of all the things the Wii did, it seems like most people don't hold the waggle and IR pointer in super high regards these days. I have a hard time going back and playing games that did it poorly(Which was a LOT of games). They completely ruined my experience of Twilight Princess, and people I know who talked to who played it on GC all have a much better opinion of the game than I do.

When the Switch had new, updated versions of the Wiimote, a lot of people were REALLY happy that they were optional.

So yeah. It's strange to go back and read RD reviews where a lot of negatives came from the lack of motion controls.

Motion controls was cool at the time because it was still relatively new, but gosh they would've retracted a lot of the experience from Radiant Dawn.

5 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Motion controls was cool at the time because it was still relatively new, but gosh they would've retracted a lot of the experience from Radiant Dawn.

They were cool at the time, but they started a dark age of gaming(The Kinect, bad Wii Shovelware, PS Move) that lasted for a good 6-7 years. Outside of VR, where it makes a bit more sense, gaming by and large left motion controls behind. Obviously there are some simple motion controls in the Playstation controller, and the Joycons do most of what the Wiimotes did, but they're not even close to being the selling points of the console. Microsoft completely gave up on Kinect.

Damn, I never would have taught SD would be a the bottom plus the fact BSFE beat it, now that's depressing. Ah well c'est la vie, it's still the best in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Super Mario Galaxy allowed you to have a Mii as your file icon.

...Don't think that's what the reviewer intended, or if that would've fit Radiant Dawn (The Zelda games didn't do it), but...

7 hours ago, Azz said:

Damn, I never would have taught SD would be a the bottom plus the fact BSFE beat it, now that's depressing. Ah well c'est la vie, it's still the best in my opinion.

Why though. SD didn’t deserve being lower than SD NES.

SD has falcoknights, what other argument does one even need.

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

They were cool at the time, but they started a dark age of gaming(The Kinect, bad Wii Shovelware, PS Move) that lasted for a good 6-7 years. Outside of VR, where it makes a bit more sense, gaming by and large left motion controls behind. Obviously there are some simple motion controls in the Playstation controller, and the Joycons do most of what the Wiimotes did, but they're not even close to being the selling points of the console. Microsoft completely gave up on Kinect.

oh yeah I forgot the Kinect existed. They only pushed it for like 6 months lol. It was so sad how they dropped it so fast. I know I have one... somewhere...

On 10/20/2017 at 7:45 PM, Slumber said:

They completely ruined my experience of Twilight Princess, and people I know who talked to who played it on GC all have a much better opinion of the game than I do.

Well the bow controls were good with motion. It it wasn't terrible with the rest, tedious perhaps, but not terrible. SS's focus on pure sword combat with Wii Motion Plus (another short-lived idea) more problematic to me.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well the bow controls were good with motion. It it wasn't terrible with the rest, tedious perhaps, but not terrible. SS's focus on pure sword combat with Wii Motion Plus (another short-lived idea) more problematic to me.

I enjoyed SS' combat more because I had to do more than waggle the Wiimote slightly, which was not only incredibly tedious and boring in TP, but was also completely immersion breaking, the opposite of the thing motion controls were supposed to do.

And nevermind actually aiming anything that WASN'T the bow/slingshot in TP.

Edited by Slumber

• 1 month later...