Dandy Druid

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

1st place: Fire Emblem: Geneology of the Holy War

Japan has shit taste confirmed

Alright jokes aside (i'm not joking about FE4 being shit tho) i've heard this poll was actually pretty small, so it's kinda hard to draw a conclusion from this. Good to see Our Boy Roy's game in the Top 5 tho. Shadows of Valentia not being in the Top 10 hurts me (even if it's just barely there).

@Glennstavos@Cowboy Karimov It feels really awkward to mix Heroes with the main titles because they have a totally different structure, it would be really hard for a user to prefer a mobile game over a console game unless said user only plays mobile games or just prefers them, which is unlikely, given not because of the quality of mobile games per se but rather because of their structure and complexity.

@Anacybele Personally I'd suggest to word carefully any stuff related to Fates and Awakening because the fanbase is still sensible to this subject and aren't mature enough to know that time passes, IPs evolve and tend to get more globalized. Avoid this becoming another war like how the FE Warriors DLC thread (and many other threads) was.

2 hours ago, Cowboy Karimov said:

I'm personally surprised how far up FE7 and FE9 are. I would have figured they'd be considered too easy or dumbed down for Americans.

Also, what's up with the mix of game names? "Rekka no Ken" instead of "Blazing Sword" or "The Blazing Blade"? And FE1's localized title being used for FE11?

I just copied it straight from Reddit. I'll change it to Blazing Sword for language continuity. 

3 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

Personally I'd suggest to word carefully any stuff related to Fates and Awakening because the fanbase is still sensible to this subject and aren't mature enough to know that time passes, IPs evolve and tend to get more globalized. Avoid this becoming another war like how the FE Warriors DLC thread (and many other threads) was.

...What are you talking about? I've barely mentioned Awakening or Fates at all. I was talking way more about PoR.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

I just copied it straight from Reddit. I'll change it to Blazing Sword for language continuity. 

Can you also change the rock bottom game to Shadow Dragon/New Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light?  There was some confusion about that on the previous page.

Just now, Armagon said:

Wait, i just realized, why isn't Tokyo Mirage Sessions on this list? Heroes and BS FE are here, and both are spin-offs. Why isn't TMS here? It's a spin-off as well.

No one voted for it.

I'm guessing the poll taker forgot to include it.

1 minute ago, Quintessence said:

I know, just a word of caution.

...Then why is it only for me? Shouldn't everyone be cautious then?

I don't know about BS FE, but Heroes is not a spin-off, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Can you also change the rock bottom game to Shadow Dragon/New Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light?  There was some confusion about that on the previous page.

I changed it. Is it easier to understand now?

I'm sorry for the confusion.

9 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

@Glennstavos@Cowboy Karimov It feels really awkward to mix Heroes with the main titles because they have a totally different structure, it would be really hard for a user to prefer a mobile game over a console game unless said user only plays mobile games or just prefers them, which is unlikely, given not because of the quality of mobile games per se but rather because of their structure and complexity.

I don't think it's awkward at all. I wouldn't give Heroes a number the same way the Japanese give BS Fire Emblem a number, but I also wouldn't call it a spinoff when the core gameplay is Fire Emblem. The creators have even stated that Heroes is letting them explore many ideas for future titles. Lots of mechanics, abilities and combat arts debuted in Heroes before Echoes as well. TMS, for example, is a spinoff game, as it plays nothing like Fire Emblem. The only reason Heroes shouldn't get a number is because I doubt a second Fire emblem mobile game will come out as a followup to it. They'll just keep updating Heroes.

Edited by Glennstavos

Oh wow! I'm pretty stoked to see Geneology in first. Path of Radiance in third is pretty nice too. Good characters. Good world-building. I'm MOST happy about Sacred Stones in 6th. Like it's above Awakening and Radiant Dawn. With how IS tends to treat the poor SS characters, I expected it to be closer to the bottom. If I had to make any changes, I'd probably switch Awakening and Fates. But overall, this is a pretty good list. Then again, I have no idea what generation of FE fans this article is geared towards, so there's no telling how accurate it is.

4 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Oh wow! I'm pretty stoked to see Geneology in first. Path of Radiance in third is pretty nice too. Good characters. Good world-building. I'm MOST happy about Sacred Stones in 6th. Like it's above Awakening and Radiant Dawn. With how IS tends to treat the poor SS characters, I expected it to be closer to the bottom. If I had to make any changes, I'd probably switch Awakening and Fates. But overall, this is a pretty good list. Then again, I have no idea what generation of FE fans this article is geared towards, so there's no telling how accurate it is.

Thank you. Fates being voted more popular than Awakening is probably because they have 3 paths/games. So if someone liked Birthright, they choose Fates. Conquest?Fates. Revelation? Fates. 

11 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Thank you. Fates being voted more popular than Awakening is probably because they have 3 paths/games. So if someone liked Birthright, they choose Fates. Conquest?Fates. Revelation? Fates. 

I didn't hate Fates. It was fine, and I've played through all the routes. There's plenty I like about it (but I probably dislike just about the same amount). I just enjoyed Awakening more. The characters and supports seemed thought out a little better, and those are the most important things to me. For me, the fact that Fates has 3 routes hurts it more. Enjoying only 1/3 of the entire game puts it lower on my list.

Just now, Rafiel's Aria said:

I didn't hate Fates. It was fine, and I've played through all the routes. There's plenty I like about it (but I probably dislike just about the same amount). I just enjoyed Awakening more. The characters and supports seemed thought out a little better, and those are the most important things to me. For me, the fact that Fates has 3 routes hurts it more. Enjoying only 1/3 of the entire game puts it lower on my list.

As a game, Fates does many things right, fixing a lot of the flaws that Awakening has. But as a story, only Conquest really stands out because of the sense of morality. As for the characters, I do tend to forget a couple of them. And really, the route thing words, giving us a sense of choice, but the fact they made us buy the other routes hurts it in my opinion.

Do we know context for this poll? Is it from a magazine, a website, an event, or what?

Regardless, it's nice to see a poll that breaks the narrative of generalizing all Japanese fans as fans of Archanea, Awakening, and Fates above all else, even if the polling size isn't the largest. Surprising to see PoR and 7 rank so high though Genealogy doing well isn't too unexpected, I always got the feeling that game couldn't be held in such esteem only in the West.

Edit: also about Heroes, it's probably less that people dislike the game and more that since it's basically FE lite less people are likely to name it as their absolute favourite. 

Edited by Book Bro

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

So are you guys shocked/surprised with the results?

Shadow Dragon is the worst FE game? No, not surprised in the least.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Based off what I have read, this poll is from a very small sample size and isn't very representative of most Japanese FE fans. Others have already stated this, however. The next paragraph I will mention all of the rumors that I have heard that relate to the Japanese opinion on FE games. Take it with a grain of salt.

Based off what I have heard of Japanese FE fans is that Mystery of the Emblem (the original) is the favorite game of many of the long time players. FE4 and FE5 were not as well liked, although they were still popular. Japanese FE fans aren't too fond of FE6, because they think it's plot is just a retelling of FE3. FE7 and FE8 were well liked, with FE8 being better liked because the less popular status of FE6 tainted many opinions about FE7. FE9 and FE10 are quite obscure in Japan, and it wasn't until Brawl when more Japanese started playing the Tellius games. Even then, they weren't too fond of the games, because I'm pretty sure Ike isn't as popular as he is in the West (I think he's still got plenty of fans in Japan, don't get me wrong). SD came along, and, while veterans were happy that the original got some love, the opinion in Japan is basically the same as it is here. New Mystery was pretty popular, being a remake of the Japanese favorite and doing pretty well at that. Also, I think the Japanese hate Kris less. I'm unsure of the Japanese opinions on Awakening and Fates, but I know they were very successful (same reasons as in the West). I know Gaiden is disliked for similar reasons as in the West (with the added problem that it didn't have Marth), but SoV was good (basically, the same thoughts in Japan as in the West), again (same as the West), not as popular as Awakening and Fates.

This is all hearsay. I'm probably wrong on some points, I thought I'd just put this out there. But I definitely think the poll is wrong, because I am just about certain that Mystery of the Emblem would get more votes than PoR and 7.

Personally I wouldn't have included BS or Heroes, but I'm surprised by the results. Not that Genealogy won, I saw that coming before I checked the results, but seeing Blazing Blade and Path of Radiance that high (1st and 2nd favorite game, respectively) was surprising. Granted, it's by no means representative of the entire community, but it's interesting all the same.

Wow, the Japanese do have shit taste. Jk.

Shadow Dragon coming last hurts me because I'm playing through it now and it's not as bad as people say.

MotE should've been first, like...come on. I expected Binding Blade to be higher, tbh, and PoR to be lower due to its sales.

Ah well. Is this an official, run by IS/Nintendo poll? Probably not.

3 minutes ago, Lau said:

Wow, the Japanese do have shit taste. Jk.

Shadow Dragon coming last hurts me because I'm playing through it now and it's not as bad as people say.

MotE should've been first, like...come on. I expected Binding Blade to be higher, tbh, and PoR to be lower due to its sales.

Ah well. Is this an official, run by IS/Nintendo poll? Probably not.

No it is not official. I believe the poll belongs to some sort of Japanese website or some gaming website similar to SF. However, the sample size is actually quite small (for the community- only a couple thousand at the most- which is small for a fandom), so it's more like a poll that shows us the tastes of people belonging to this certain site. So it's not a true indicative of what all JP fans think of the series. The quote below probably explains it better, because I've heard the same hearsay. Usually problems with polls in general is that you don't know how many people may "screw the pollers" and say something that isn't true, i.e. BS FE being higher than Shadow Dragon. What we can take away from this is general assumptions though: an FE4 remake may do well commercially in JP, so the likelihood of a remake may be higher. It may not be the most popular, but popular enough to be considered. Also, it shows you what isn't popular. Despite being recent, it seems like SoV isn't too high as people's favorite, maybe because it's not a conventional FE game, etc. 

4 hours ago, DolphinDingus said:

Based off what I have read, this poll is from a very small sample size and isn't very representative of most Japanese FE fans. Others have already stated this, however. The next paragraph I will mention all of the rumors that I have heard that relate to the Japanese opinion on FE games. Take it with a grain of salt.

Based off what I have heard of Japanese FE fans is that Mystery of the Emblem (the original) is the favorite game of many of the long time players. FE4 and FE5 were not as well liked, although they were still popular. Japanese FE fans aren't too fond of FE6, because they think it's plot is just a retelling of FE3. FE7 and FE8 were well liked, with FE8 being better liked because the less popular status of FE6 tainted many opinions about FE7. FE9 and FE10 are quite obscure in Japan, and it wasn't until Brawl when more Japanese started playing the Tellius games. Even then, they weren't too fond of the games, because I'm pretty sure Ike isn't as popular as he is in the West (I think he's still got plenty of fans in Japan, don't get me wrong). SD came along, and, while veterans were happy that the original got some love, the opinion in Japan is basically the same as it is here. New Mystery was pretty popular, being a remake of the Japanese favorite and doing pretty well at that. Also, I think the Japanese hate Kris less. I'm unsure of the Japanese opinions on Awakening and Fates, but I know they were very successful (same reasons as in the West). I know Gaiden is disliked for similar reasons as in the West (with the added problem that it didn't have Marth), but SoV was good (basically, the same thoughts in Japan as in the West), again (same as the West), not as popular as Awakening and Fates.

This is all hearsay. I'm probably wrong on some points, I thought I'd just put this out there. But I definitely think the poll is wrong, because I am just about certain that Mystery of the Emblem would get more votes than PoR and 7.

I've heard this too, with the only opinions I'm unsure about are Awakening and Fates. I wouldn't say the poll is wrong though. More so "limited".

FE4 consistently ranks highest(Or near the highest) among the Japanese fanbase and Japanese journalists, regardless of where the poll comes from, or the sample size. So I'm not surprised.

It's starting to bug me more and more as time goes on, though, since Jugdral is constantly ignored by IS. You'd think they'd throw it more of a bone if FE4 is always high on these lists.

Edited by Slumber