FE16 "leaks"

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Takumi and Leo didn't hate Corrin; they envied Corrin.

Dracul's curiously named "vassel" class would make more sense if Dracul was thrust into a servant position by the true heir younger sibling. Dracul is likely seen as a threat to their status as furture ruler. 

Dracul's status as a "bastard" reflects badly on the royal family either way. 

I'm curious if we're going to see another kind of f!Robin/Chrom or even an m!Robin/Lucina type of situation with f!Dracul/Alain. Awakening had entire scenes play out differently if you had these pairs, and while not a huge difference, it encouraged some replaying to see the variation first hand.

Edited by Altrosa

Ok so there'll be more LGBT characters? I hope they'll be developed well enough so that they're not just judged by their sexuality, but as their character as a whole. I just wonder how their supports will turn out though; I hope it's not a negative stereotype.

Although seeing some people's reactions in this thread makes me worried on how they'll be received by fans. I just hope that some fans (including people early in this thread) gain a better understanding of LGBT people.

9 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Although seeing some people's reactions in this thread makes me worried on how they'll be received by fans. I just hope that some fans (including people early in this thread) gain a better understanding of LGBT people.

Fates is screwed it up on a bunch of sides. Niles and Rhajat didn't exactly set a high standard, Soleil's habits come off like a confused lesbian, and Nina is that girl that loves yaoi for all the wrong reasons. But they got it started. Players had the option.

I feel like saying Leon's better isn't offering much, but Leon was a step in the right direction on how to make good, inoffensive representation, despite him being in love with Valbar being his whole character. 

Either way, we're never gonna stop real life Nina's from being disgusting about characters in fandom whether the characters are confirmed LGBT+ or not. 

Edited by Altrosa

Honestly, the less they focus on sexuality and more on the personality, the better. Not saying that representation is bad but IS has a tendency to build characters around a particular trait and then not add any more structure to them. Some characters turn out relatively well but then others are a shallow silhouette of what they could have been.

That said, I'm interested in Dracul's sibling. He sounds like he could be an obnoxious annoyance but I tend to like characters like that, depending on the context. For any that have read the manga Kingdom, it reminds me of the relationship between the two characters Ei Sei and Sei Kyou.

read kingdom its awesome

Edited by saisymbolic

To be honest, I don't even think, Rhajat and Niles are that bad. Being Bi wasn't their only Personality trait. Their only Problem was, that they were the only LGBT-Characters(aside from the Avatar) and if the only two LGBT-Characters are two of the darker Characters, that reinforces some bad Stereotypes.

I would have no Problem with having one Niles alongside Characters like, let's say, a bisexual/lesbian Version of Olivia and Maribelle. That we'll get more than two LGBT-Characters gives me Hope, that we'll get a wider Spectrum of Personalities among them.

18 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Takumi and Leo didn't hate Corrin; they envied Corrin.

Takumi is akwardly written since we're obviously supposed to see he's resentful towards innocent Corrin with him being treated in a negative light by the narrative for it, but Corrin is a party to his adopted mother's death and in Conquest helps steamroll his motherland. He's vindicated for his attitude towards Corrin in Conquest but the plot still tries to suggest he was in the badwrong and attributes his harshest actions to a dragon.

8 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Soleil's habits come off like a confused lesbian

That's from Fates' localization.

12 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Fates is screwed it up on a bunch of sides. Niles and Rhajat didn't exactly set a high standard, Soleil's habits come off like a confused lesbian, and Nina is that girl that loves yaoi for all the wrong reasons. But they got it started. Players had the option.

I feel like saying Leon's better isn't offering much, but Leon was a step in the right direction on how to make good, inoffensive representation, despite him being in love with Valbar being his whole character. 

Either way, we're never gonna stop real life Nina's from being disgusting about characters in fandom whether the characters are confirmed LGBT+ or not. 

Niles is a fairly popular character (enough to get in Warriors strangely enough), so maybe people didn't perceive him as bad. And I think Rhajat's main problem was that she was a bisexual clone of a polarizing character, which didn't work. So while Niles sort of worked, Rhajat was definitely a failed attempt, Soleil was some sort of weird conversion therapy, and Nina was a typical yaoi fangirl, who isn't too far off from the female fans that do ship male characters together. So, I agree, the bar's not too high.

Also I do agree that Leon's my favorite, mainly because in his base conversations, you get a feel for more about how he is as person, however limited it may be. He's a good example of an LGBT character. He has a bit of camp, which I liked.

But, if FE Switch relies on stock character tropes like we've had in the past (the clumsy girl, the way-to-serious guy, the flirt, etc.), I'm worried that they'll make a character that perpetuates the Japanese stereotype of a gay man, like BDSM gear with a flamboyant voice and the majority of their lines is about sex, but may probably won't be as subtle/funny as Niles sometimes was. 

Anyways, the inclusion of an LGBT character isn't the most important factor for me. While I would like 1 or 2 characters to be LGBT, I'm worried about how they'll be written, and how some people would react to them. Past FEs didn't have LGBT characters, and I've played them, so it's not a huge dealbreaker. I'm just worried about the writing, and whether the writers will succeed in making them relatable/likable characters.

10 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

BDSM gear

*insert a George Takei "OH MY!"*

I think it will be fine. Nintendo probably knows it can't do anything too controversial or else they may lose some younger audiences and the stupid Soleil controversy (which funnily enough started as a joke by somebody apparently) probably will make them not do something that crazy. I like Niles in particular because, while he is a LGBT character, it's not shoved in your face about his sexuality or anything like other franchises (*cough* Mass Effect *cough*). 

4 hours ago, familyplayer said:

I think it will be fine. Nintendo probably knows it can't do anything too controversial or else they may lose some younger audiences and the stupid Soleil controversy (which funnily enough started as a joke by somebody apparently) probably will make them not do something that crazy. I like Niles in particular because, while he is a LGBT character, it's not shoved in your face about his sexuality or anything like other franchises (*cough* Mass Effect *cough*). 

True, they may not try anything too risky. Although I think Nina's obsession was meant to be "relatable" for fangirls.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

True, they may not try anything too risky. Although I think Nina's obsession was meant to be "relatable" for fangirls.

IntSys can't really be so stupid the think that the only female fans they have are Fujoshis. The only possible way that could have happened was a supposed employee at the company who pushed the Awakening-esque mechanics into Fates so she could bang her husbando. But even then, that turned out to be fake.

1 hour ago, Hawkatana said:

IntSys can't really be so stupid the think that the only female fans they have are Fujoshis. The only possible way that could have happened was a supposed employee at the company who pushed the Awakening-esque mechanics into Fates so she could bang her husbando. But even then, that turned out to be fake.

While reading this, I just kept thinking about that one girl who was playing FEW at E3 and wouldn't shut up about how much she likes Xander, Chrom, etc. If there ever was something that would make me like FEW less at a time when it was being super controversial, she didn't help.

14 hours ago, familyplayer said:

If Nintendo is smart, they'll do what they're doing for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Xenoblade Chronicles X also had come censorship controviersy, and after that Tetsuya Takahashi (the producer) said they were working with NoA and NoE to make sure Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would be suitable in all regions before release.

Hopefully they do that with Fire Emblem Switch, so we don't have to deal with this all over again.

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

Yeah, I'm speaking in hypothetical as I'm not convinced yet it's real either.

Yep wouldn't be surprised if the ACTUAL game we'll see soon in the next major direct is better than what this "leaker" "leaks" talks about.

25 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Yep wouldn't be surprised if the ACTUAL game we'll see soon in the next major direct is better than what this "leaker" "leaks" talks about.

Now if only Nintendo/IS would hurry up and actually show something. I know I've said it before, but other games revealed in that direct that announced FE16 have been more teased than this.

Edited by familyplayer

19 hours ago, Hawkatana said:

I know that, but there's no doubt they're trying to reach the anime/manga crowd and gain some fans that way. It makes sense from a business perspective to appeal to as many people as you can. 

4 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Now if only Nintendo/IS would hurry up and actually show something. I know I've said it before, but other games revealed in that direct that announced FE16 have been more teased than this.

The Direct that announced FE16 was the Fire Emblem Direct, which also revealed SoV and Heroes. And that was it. But i'm fully expecting it to be fully revealed in a January Direct, along with a full release date (or at least a release month/season).

Edited by Armagon

Oh I'm doubtful this is real, too, but it's still an interesting discussion to drum up hype for the upcoming game, even if we officially know nothing other than it's a main series title and on the Switch.

They initially said early 2018, but Echoes wasn't officially announced until a few months before it was released, and currently Odyssey along with 2017's incredible gaming catalogue is plenty to push the Switch this holiday season. The choice to wait to January puts out something shiny for all the new Switch players to look forward to.

3 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Oh I'm doubtful this is real, too, but it's still an interesting discussion to drum up hype for the upcoming game, even if we officially know nothing other than it's a main series title and on the Switch.

They initially said early 2018, but Echoes wasn't officially announced until a few months before it was released, and currently Odyssey along with 2017's incredible gaming catalogue is plenty to push the Switch this holiday season. The choice to wait to January puts out something shiny for all the new Switch players to look forward to.

Like I said:

A Direct is likely coming in January, or New Years Eve.