FE16 "leaks"

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A full FE game about Pirates. Interesting concept, but not the best. Based off the boat maps from Echoes: SoV and Fates, I don't know how they can make this interesting. I like the Gothic leak better.

Glad this was debunked. Still waiting to hear anything legit from Nintendo about this direct. 

56 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

As much as Mutiny sounds unusual for a Fire Emblem game, I am going to write Mutiny off as a fake. Anyway, Oscar (theprinceofiris) on Twitter states that Mutiny (and the leak as a whole, as a result) is fake. Don't know whether he has info on the actual game though.

I'm happy to hear that it was debunked, but who is Oscar and why would he know for sure if it is fake or not? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Think of how my entire state would feel about that. 

Vikings are effectively just much more organized pirates, and the Minnesota Vikings are also purple and gold. 

Ugh.  Thanks for reminding me how insignificant my own pain is.  XD

*reads the next page*

...Not that it matters, since this new leak has already been proven fake.  Maybe there's hope to see Shin Megami Tensei V after all.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

11 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Ugh.  Thanks for reminding me how insignificant my own pain is.  XD

*reads the next page*

...Not that it matters, since this new leak has already been proven fake.  Maybe there's hope to see Shin Megami Tensei V after all.

All of our pain is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Nothing we feel matters.

Anywho, yeah. I'm hoping for a showing of SMTV. That'd be a good new JRPG to look forward to for the year. Hoping it's more Nocturne than 4 was, but I can hang with another 4 if that's what we get. 

Really, depending on what ends up being shown, SMTV may steal the show from FE for me, if SMT has a strong showing and FE doesn't. 

Edited by Slumber

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Really, depending on what ends up being shown, SMTV may steal the show from FE for me, if SMT has a strong showing and FE doesn't. 

I'd honestly be fine if either one showed up and not the other, but if we got both, I'd probably pass out from sheer excitement.

I myself have a hunch that the two main characters seen in the teaser are actually based on Nakajima and Yumiko, the two main characters of the original Megami Tensei game.  This mostly comes from the similar (though not completely the same) hairstyles, since I have nothing else to go on.

Considering how Atlus seems to like pretending Megami Tensei I + II don't exist, and that even mainline fans tend to ignore them, it's probably just a coincidence.  But dangitall if it doesn't sound cool.

3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'd honestly be fine if either one showed up and not the other, but if we got both, I'd probably pass out from sheer excitement.

I myself have a hunch that the two main characters seen in the teaser are actually based on Nakajima and Yumiko, the two main characters of the original Megami Tensei game.  This mostly comes from the similar (though not completely the same) hairstyles, since I have nothing else to go on.

Considering how Atlus seems to like pretending Megami Tensei I + II don't exist, and that even mainline fans tend to ignore them, it's probably just a coincidence.  But dangitall if it doesn't sound cool.

Altus has a bad habit of ignoring things that happened before SMT and SMT spinoffs get popular(See: SMT before Nocturne, as well as Persona before 3).

I'd be happy with a throwback to 1 and 2. Admittedly I only played those once each about a decade ago, but I remember them having some CRAAAAAZY shit in them, which is always what I've liked about the SMT franchise compared to a lot of JRPG series. Whenever a JRPG(I'll say post-Final Fantasy X JRPGs) gets close to scratching the surface of an interesting or out-there idea, it stops and goes back to its safe space of tropey-writing and anime cliches.

When SMT scratches the surface of an interesting out-there idea, it pulls out the dynamite and hopes for the best. And SMT1 and 2 did that plenty, so yeah, I'd be cool with a throwback. 

The only other JRPG franchise that has survived the anime writing armageddon of FFX with interesting ideas in-tact was probably Drakengard. And eventually that led to NieR: Automata, so I'd say it worked out. 

The post can be deemed fake because it contains information which heavily contradicts how Nintendo has always operated for years.

1. Nintendo never provides details about special editions at the same time as first revealing a title, only later when closer to launch
  2. Nintendo never announces release dates for products that are like eight months away, as seen with Project Octopath given date of September 9th
  3. Nintendo never releases retail products on a Sunday (September 9th), only on a Friday

In order for the post to be real, Nintendo would need to break from at least three different conventions at once for no discernible reason, which simply isn't realistic.

Anyone should be able to see that this is just another hoax by understanding how Nintendo handles their publishing processes.

5 hours ago, Prince of Iris said:

The post can be deemed fake because it contains information which heavily contradicts how Nintendo has always operated for years.

1. Nintendo never provides details about special editions at the same time as first revealing a title, only later when closer to launch
  2. Nintendo never announces release dates for products that are like eight months away, as seen with Project Octopath given date of September 9th
  3. Nintendo never releases retail products on a Sunday (September 9th), only on a Friday

In order for the post to be real, Nintendo would need to break from at least three different conventions at once for no discernible reason, which simply isn't realistic.

Anyone should be able to see that this is just another hoax by understanding how Nintendo handles their publishing processes.

Big sigh of relief thanks!

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

Altus has a bad habit of ignoring things that happened before SMT and SMT spinoffs get popular(See: SMT before Nocturne, as well as Persona before 3).

I'd be happy with a throwback to 1 and 2. Admittedly I only played those once each about a decade ago, but I remember them having some CRAAAAAZY shit in them, which is always what I've liked about the SMT franchise compared to a lot of JRPG series. Whenever a JRPG(I'll say post-Final Fantasy X JRPGs) gets close to scratching the surface of an interesting or out-there idea, it stops and goes back to its safe space of tropey-writing and anime cliches.

When SMT scratches the surface of an interesting out-there idea, it pulls out the dynamite and hopes for the best. And SMT1 and 2 did that plenty, so yeah, I'd be cool with a throwback.

I was talking about the old NES games, not SMT1 and 2.  If you think SMT1 and 2 get ignored a lot, you evidently haven't seen the two games that came before them.

The leak looks fake to me just from considering that FFXV could not make it to Switch that quickly, no way, no how. It was running horribly when they tested the Luminous Engine on Switch, so they said they were looking into a UE4 port. Rebuilding a game of that size in a different engine would take quite some time, no possible way they could finish it in under a year.

Edited by DragonLord

Hmm, not exactly a fan of neither the Castlevania FE, nor the Pirate one, but if I had to choose, I would go with the gothic horror. The day-night cycle sounds interesting, but the sword-lord is kinda boring... A whip-lord would have been much cooler and fitting imho. But since whip is yet to be added to the weapons, I think sword can be just fine. Just make it look cool, and give it some awesome name :D

6 hours ago, Prince of Iris said:

Thanks for the clarification!

So... I take it nobody wants Fire Emblem: The Legend of Shanty Pete? It be a less generic name than mutiny at least...

On a serious note, I do see a pirate Fire Emblem game working. There could be different mechanics for ship-to-ship, and when boarding a ship, there could be multiple levels/floors that you would have to fight through. It could get very interesting if boarding and ship combat happened simultaneously. Plus, you could raid towns, settlements, and seaports, so land battles would still be a thing. Besides, there have been enough unique takes on pirates (space pirates, undead pirates, steampunk-pirate ships, pirates who use airships, pirates who use airplanes, etc.) that they could adapt the Fire Emblem aesthetic and rules without much trouble. It wouldn't be too hard to have an overarching story either, even if it is an open-world game. It would be interesting to see a Fire Emblem game where money has an actual value and use, with various ways to obtain it. 

That being said, I do question why they went with pirates instead of vikings, as you could have most of the above along with a better balanced weapon triangle and more land battles, though I have no idea whether or not the magic and dragons of Fire Emblem would fit with viking lore.

And of course, all this musing is kind of pointless, since it's been debunked, but it was fun to think about anyway.

(Sid Meiers Pirates: Live the Life! is my favorite childhood game, and Treasure Planet was my favorite Disney movie (excluding Pixar) as a kid, so I inwardly squeed when I heard about this.)

5 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

So... I take it nobody wants Fire Emblem: The Legend of Shanty Pete? It be a less generic name than mutiny at least...

That being said, I do question why they went with pirates instead of vikings, as you could have most of the above along with a better balanced weapon triangle and more land battles, though I have no idea whether or not the magic and dragons of Fire Emblem would fit with viking lore.

Actually, The Legend of Shanty Pete does sound pretty awesome.

I can see a Viking-themed Fire Emblem work better, though.  Though, Heroes already uses a lot of references to Norse mythology.

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I was talking about the old NES games, not SMT1 and 2.  If you think SMT1 and 2 get ignored a lot, you evidently haven't seen the two games that came before them.

Holy crap you're right. Even I forgot that there were just Megami Tensei games. 

Also, Pirates and Pirate themed things are not popular in Japan at all. They're going to want to sell this game to the gamers of Japan, and that theme would totally alienate a huge player base. 

And with the Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition just rated by the ESRB with no mention of the Switch, I think we can safely find this leak fake.

The Gothic-styled FE on the otherhand, whew, that would sell like hotcakes there.

Honestly, just do another FE 1 remake. Like reuse all the old sprites and just recompose the music. Do the same changes as 11 and Book 1 and then baam, perfect game. 

16 minutes ago, Coolmanio said:

Also, Pirates and Pirate themed things are not popular in Japan at all. They're going to want to sell this game to the gamers of Japan, and that theme would totally alienate a huge player base. 

... Do... Do we tell him?

I think we should tell him that arguably the largest piece of pop culture in Japan for 20 years straight is a pirate manga. 

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

... Do... Do we tell him?

I think we should tell him that arguably the largest piece of pop culture in Japan for 20 years straight is a pirate manga. 

Hahahaha.

Sure, sure. I guess I was thinking more of the Western ideal of pirates. You know, the grittiness, swearing, etc.

However, if they wanna do a One Piece-styled FE they could. Just wouldn't be my cup of tea.

6 minutes ago, Coolmanio said:

Hahahaha.

Sure, sure. I guess I was thinking more of the Western ideal of pirates. You know, the grittiness, swearing, etc.

However, if they wanna do a One Piece-styled FE they could. Just wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Fire Emblem never goes the western or realistic routes.

Their Berserkers aren't a bunch of mentally challenged drug addicts, for example. If they did a pirate game, it'd be very much like OP. 

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, ElectiveToast said:

If FE Switch is pirate emblem, does that mean we will get to see a musket class? 

Pirates were known for flintlock pistols, not muskets.

Regardless, I am 110% sure that this isn't real. If it was, I hate the idea of guns in FE.

Edited by Slumber