Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The way I read up about it Soleil is supposed to be based on a phase in a Japanese girl's life where they get ''romantic'' feelings towards other girls which they then drop when its time to get serious about relationships. 

That's what I've heard too, it makes sense why so many people over here still think she's a lesbian/bisexual who was subject to """conversion therapy""". I'd be pissed too if that were the case. -even though her japanese counterpart can marry male child units and none of those supports mention a potion IIRC but those pesky details always get in the way-

Problem is that whole "lesbian until serious relationship" thing isn't known well in the west and would NO DOUBT come across as a lesbian character essentially being dismissed as "a phase" which has homophobic connotations over here due to cultural differences -if you've ever seen dismissive, intolerant parenting you know what I mean-. It was only made worse by the dumb magic potion shenanigans, which people used to draw parallels to date rape drugs.

Fact is no matter how this little trope was executed, unless she were completely changed for a western audience complaints about homophobia would have been present, Soleil was a bad idea from the start and unfortunately the japanese devs probably had no clue this would happen. Wouldn't have happened in the first place if they didn't shove in child units and force a dumb quirk onto every character but I'm no game dev or writer what am I talking about right?

Edited by Dreamyboi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaaaand I've just noticed we're back to a two year old controversy, I sure hope this wait is worth it.

I'll re-follow the thread when something is announced, this is ridiculous. 

Edited by Dreamyboi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we stay on topic before the mods decide to lock up this thread?? 

There is no point reviving old controversies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dreamyboi said:

Aaaaaand I've just noticed we're back to a two year old controversy, I sure hope this wait is worth it.

I'll re-follow the thread when something is announced, this is ridiculous. 

why can't they release something else inconsequential for us to get pissy over.

my money is on a character who is a gross otaku who has given up on 3d women, and ever since comic books were confirmed to be canon in shadows of velentia this could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

why can't they release something else inconsequential for us to get pissy over.

my money is on a character who is a gross otaku who has given up on 3d women, and ever since comic books were confirmed to be canon in shadows of velentia this could happen.

Or maybe IntSys will try to write a trans character and fail miserably, that'd be a pretty good shitstorm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dreamyboi said:

Or maybe IntSys will try to write a trans character and fail miserably, that'd be a pretty good shitstorm.

I'm kind of surprised that forrest didn't start anything, I don't think that traps are really much of a thing in western media, so I would guess that most would think he is trans, but then again leo coming around and giving forrest his approval was probably enough to satisfy those people I guess.

I'd like a more toned down trap next time around personally, forrest was trying too hard (not a fan of the curls personally, I prefer how Elise did it, forrest's feels like overcompensation) in my opinion and yet also not hard enough as his outfit was nothing special even after so much emphasis was put on forrest's fashion sense (I blame the use of the generic female troubadour model on that one).

I guess the main thing to take away from all this is that IS will mess up somewhere down the line and we are all going to be there when it happens and give an opinion.

I liked Solei...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I'm kind of surprised that forrest didn't start anything, I don't think that traps are really much of a thing in western media, so I would guess that most would think he is trans, but then again leo coming around and giving forrest his approval was probably enough to satisfy those people I guess.

I'd like a more toned down trap next time around personally, forrest was trying too hard (not a fan of the curls personally, I prefer how Elise did it, forrest's feels like overcompensation) in my opinion and yet also not hard enough as his outfit was nothing special even after so much emphasis was put on forrest's fashion sense (I blame the use of the generic female troubadour model on that one).

I guess the main thing to take away from all this is that IS will mess up somewhere down the line and we are all going to be there when it happens and give an opinion.

I liked Solei...

Maybe it's because everyone was too busy focussing on the numerous other weird decisions Fates made.

This game did a LOT that grabbed people's attention, let's be real. A girly looking boy was the last thing on people's minds.

Especially since he was one of several child units barely anybody gave a damn about because they had no story justification and people like me sometimes forgot they were an option.

Edited by Dreamyboi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I'm kind of surprised that forrest didn't start anything, I don't think that traps are really much of a thing in western media, so I would guess that most would think he is trans, but then again leo coming around and giving forrest his approval was probably enough to satisfy those people I guess.

I don't remember about back then, but this past year was pretty much all about traps for some as memes arose about how gay it was to like it if it had a dick. It's gay once you know it has one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gonna throw my hat into the ring here. This might piss some people off, but here goes:

 

I prefer the version of Soliel’s support where she simply imagines others being girls. That actually makes a bit more sense, rather than a plot convinience drug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sort of agree actually (even if I still don't think the original support was "gay conversion therapy"). Either that or have Corrin offer the drug to her instead of spiking her drink with it, because the fact that he did that was the dumbest part. 

Edited by Troublesome Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to mini-mod here but shouldn't we be using this thread for what it's for, FE16 leaks, not ya know Fire Emblem Fates supports? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Serea-chan said:

Not trying to mini-mod here but shouldn't we be using this thread for what it's for, FE16 leaks, not ya know Fire Emblem Fates supports? 

Thing is, people don't want this thread to die until we actually see FE16 and can discern if any of these leaks were at all true.

Unfortunately, since there haven't been any new leaks lately, there's not a lot to discuss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Troublesome Knight said:

I sort of agree actually (even if I still don't think the original support was "gay conversion therapy"). Either that or have Corrin offer the drug to her instead of spiking her drink with it, because the fact that he did that was the dumbest part. 

No, no, I don’t think that the original was gay conversion therapy, either.

 

I also agree with offering the drug, too. Slipping the drug in her drink was awful. And, pardon me if I sound like an SJW, really creepy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dragonage2ftw said:

No, no, I don’t think that the original was gay conversion therapy, either.

 

I also agree with offering the drug, too. Slipping the drug in her drink was awful. And, pardon me if I sound like an SJW, really creepy.

I'm pretty sure you could nearly ruin a friendship if you did that to somebody. Then again, Corrin isn't somebody I'd ever want to be friends with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Unfortunately, since there haven't been any new leaks lately, there's not a lot to discuss.

Believe me, I understand perfectly, I've been stalking this thread since "Ms Leaker" and "Vampire Emblem" were the hot leaks. I don't want to see this forum circle the drain but if there's no news, there's no news. We can't help it though. We can help staying on topic though, but I'll butt out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

my money is on a character who is a gross otaku who has given up on 3d women, and ever since comic books were confirmed to be canon in shadows of velentia this could happen.

inb4 isekai FE
pls no pls no pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

inb4 isekai FE
pls no pls no pls

Isn't heroes already an isekai story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

inb4 isekai FE
pls no pls no pls

Awakening is also kinda of an isekai. Fates is more of a shounen though I'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Serea-chan said:

Not trying to mini-mod here but shouldn't we be using this thread for what it's for, FE16 leaks, not ya know Fire Emblem Fates supports? 

Oh we'd be happy to if there was ANY SORT OF NEWS OR LEAKS TO COMMENT ON AT ALL but there isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"ANY SORT OF NEWS OR LEAKS TO COMMENT ON AT ALL"

Bruh, please no need to bold cap at me but do you kindly mind reading the second and third sentences of the last thing I posted here? Please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Serea-chan said:

"ANY SORT OF NEWS OR LEAKS TO COMMENT ON AT ALL"

Bruh, please no need to bold cap at me but do you kindly mind reading the second and third sentences of the last thing I posted here? Please?

Dismissed it as a "stop complaining/doing x" type of comment at first I have a bad history with those.

Sorry about that, my mistake.

Edited by Dreamyboi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we can simply conclude Soleil doesn't translate. Most layers of her character read so differently to Westerners, and come off negatively to us without prior knowledge of the uncommon trope she represents, and her Corrin support is full of alarm bells that clearly don't ring in Japan.

I agree Treehouse handled her pretty well. I really wonder if I'd like her more of less if I went in blind.

 

 

Also, what's Isekai? Judging by the Shonen comparison, is it another popular JP genre?

Edited by Altrosa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Also, what's Isekai? Judging by the Shonen comparison, is it another popular JP genre?

"Isekai (Japanese: 異世界) ( lit. "different world") is a subgenre of Japanese fantasy light novels, manga, anime, and video games revolving around a normal person being transported to or trapped in a parallel universe." -Wikipedia-kun

Basically a bland ass otaku from the real world gets slapped into a fantasy world where they get a harem of girls that make up for their flat, tropey personalities with fanservice and illogical love for the main character who can suddenly beat all the bad guys with ease. Think SAO without the video game element. In layman's terms: Trash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.