FE16 "leaks"

Probably nothing, but it's the last likely date before E3. I can't see a May Direct happening so...

I'm a little sad if it's E3 it's gonna be second fiddle to Smash and a potential big announcement. But at least we'll have something

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long has it been in development? Square Enix does this, announcing games when they start development, overhyping the people and releasing the game after some good five to ten years (KH 3, FF 15). Unless they started development after fates and had Echoes as a sidething to keep the "FE spirit" up. If that is the case then Japan for sure will get the game this year (I had hoped to get a worldwide release, xenoblade could pull it why not FE)

39 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

How long has it been in development? Square Enix does this, announcing games when they start development, overhyping the people and releasing the game after some good five to ten years (KH 3, FF 15). Unless they started development after fates and had Echoes as a sidething to keep the "FE spirit" up. If that is the case then Japan for sure will get the game this year (I had hoped to get a worldwide release, xenoblade could pull it why not FE)

Afaik that's exactly what happened, a smaller team did SoV while the bulk of the staff went to FE16 after Fates.

So the game has been in development for quite some time. Which makes it very odd they've kept it so quiet. 

If we don't get anything before E3, the only strategy left that makes sense for releasing it this year is teasing it at their presentation and then following up with one or two game specific Directs before release. Thing is, Smash is rumoured for September, so in theory FE has to launch before then if they don't want it to be completely ignored. That leaves around 3 months between E3 and potential Smash for them to announce, hype, and release FE.

Guest Dreamyboi
4 hours ago, ElectiveToast said:

I am ready to riot if that happens. A piece of ?ing cardboard. 

Ma boi, this cardboard is what all true warriors strive for.

Honnestly I wouldn't mind if the game comes out late in the year like in December, if there is enough communication about it. I remember Xenoblade 2 had LOTS of regular news since the E3, so almost every week so it was a nice wait.

Plus, there is WAY TOO MANY good games realeasing this fall, and there will probably be more after E3, my bank account isn't ready for that OAO

4 hours ago, Book Bro said:

Afaik that's exactly what happened, a smaller team did SoV while the bulk of the staff went to FE16 after Fates.

I'm afraid they couldn't have begun work that early. Fates concluded development in the first half of 2015. Still too early for them to earn permission to work on a game for NX. So they decided to pass the time with developing Echoes. If there was any splinter of resources past that point, it was probably to develop Heroes.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm afraid they couldn't have begun work that early. Fates concluded development in the first half of 2015. Still too early for them to earn permission to work on a game for NX. So they decided to pass the time with developing Echoes. If there was any splinter of resources past that point, it was probably to develop Heroes.

Weren't NX developed kits out by then? 

I remember hearing rumors of a new Nintendo system a loooong time before anything was announced, and by early 2016(I wanna say Dragon Quest XI was the first game confirmed for the Switch when it was announced) we got confirmation that the Switch/NX was actually a thing. Surely by then internal Nintendo teams had dev kits. 

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

So when did the development for FE 16 truly begin? And I would like if they teased the game by a making a legendary hero for heroes and then tell us who this character is at a late date (the mystery character would be from the new game). I think of it as if masked marth was on heroes before awkening and people said who is he (if FE Heroes was a thing back then).

19 hours ago, Ayra said:

Pretty sure we aren't getting anything on the anniversary: April 20th is Labo release day. Nintendo will surely be putting focus on that instead of the Fire Emblem anniversary.

That's...embarrassing to me....

@GlennstavosNot really most game companies have concept and ideas that they want to put in in the next games after they finish the recent one no way they had a long break time to finally start thinking what to do next and I'm positive Switch dev kits went to IS especially how FE had great moment during then that's why Echoes was done very quickly and done by a smaller part of the team kinda similar with USUM.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I doubt the new heroes are going to be from FE16. That is just how IS has been naming the banners so people don't spoil it for themselves because of what happened with Lyon. As for development I doubt IS wasn't one of the first ones with a Switch development kit. It would make no sense as too why it wouldn't get one since they are a first party development studio that has a number of good selling franchises under its belt. Fire Emblem itself showed that it will sell a lot and Nintendo's strategy for the Switch has been to have a constant stream of game releases with some big ones in between the smaller ones. That is why Mario Odyssey got pushed back into October when it was done much earlier. The latter half of this year is pretty barren for them outside of Smash, and unless that is releasing near December they should have one more big title to announce during the holiday season.

Edited by YingofDarkness

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Weren't NX developed kits out by then? 

If Nintendo employees such as those that work at IS were denied access, I'd say no. 

I remember hearing rumors of a new Nintendo system a loooong time before anything was announced, and by early 2016(I wanna say Dragon Quest XI was the first game confirmed for the Switch when it was announced) we got confirmation that the Switch/NX was actually a thing. Surely by then internal Nintendo teams had dev kits. 

Not exactly "rumors". It was Nintendo themselves that mentioned they were already doing research into the next system in early 2015. And gave us the codename NX. But since the Wii U and 3DS weren't exactly ancient, nobody knew what to think. Most speculated we'd hear about it the very next E3 and would have a release in 2016 at the latest. Just the other day they assured us the research on new hardware was already underway. As for Dragon Quest, you're right that a port of that game was one of the very first games announced for the system. And then news of that version was virtually silent until this month, basically so it probably wasn't a very serious development priority.

39 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

That's...embarrassing to me....

@GlennstavosNot really most game companies have concept and ideas that they want to put in in the next games after they finish the recent one no way they had a long break time to finally start thinking what to do next and I'm positive Switch dev kits went to IS especially how FE had great moment during then that's why Echoes was done very quickly and done by a smaller part of the team kinda similar with USUM.

Y'know, nobody can really say what constitutes development. It's all kept secretive until at least after the game has been released. If I write down on a piece of paper that the next lord's name is Ike, did I just officially start development on the next Fire Emblem game? They're free to draw designs and write ideas, but without any idea what kind of hardware the new system runs on, you can't do much other than wait or develop something for familiar hardware. They did the latter. Also there is no indication I know of that Echoes was developed "by a smaller team". IS never seemed like the sort of enormous company to have an A and B Team. I figure everybody is put to work on everything.

17 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

If Nintendo employees such as those that work at IS were denied access, I'd say no. 

Uh, do you have proof that they didn't have dev kits by this point?

Even if they didn't, so long as they had very simple outlines of what they wanted the specs and architecture to be, they could have begun development before even getting full on dev kits. 

17 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Not exactly "rumors". It was Nintendo themselves that mentioned they were already doing research into the next system in early 2015. And gave us the codename NX. But since the Wii U and 3DS weren't exactly ancient, nobody knew what to think. Most speculated we'd hear about it the very next E3 and would have a release in 2016 at the latest. Just the other day they assured us the research on new hardware was already underway. As for Dragon Quest, you're right that a port of that game was one of the very first games announced for the system. And then news of that version was virtually silent until this month, basically so it probably wasn't a very serious development priority.

Again, they don't need the actual hardware to begin development, supposing that it's actually true that they didn't get dev kits until late 2015 or even 2016. R&D takes a very long time, and by the time Fates was out, they probably at the very least knew the specs of what the NX would be and where they should start with development. 

Breath of the Wild didn't begin development once Switch dev kits were out. They reworked a game that already was probably 80% finished to run on the console. Even if a Fire Emblem game was 20% through development and they had no idea what the Switch was, when IS got dev kits, it probably wouldn't have taken much time or effort at all to simply make the game run on the exact specs of the Switch. 

Do you think they finished Fates and just told everyone aside from the much smaller Echoes team to go home until Nintendo sent dev kits?

"Sorry guys, we don't know what Nintendo HQ is doing, we can't make games anymore until then."

Edited by Slumber

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Uh, do you have proof that they didn't have dev kits by this point?

Even if they didn't, so long as they had very simple outlines of what they wanted the specs and architecture to be, they could have begun development before even getting full on dev kits. 

Oh, I see the confusion. I linked the wrong interview. This is the one with what I'm trying to communicate. They couldn't work on a Switch game immediately following Fates development. That is literally all I am trying to communicate, since people here seem to think development on FE Switch could have started as early as summer of 2015. Access to development kits is not the expressed reason for why, though I opined that's not a terrible guess in my previous post.

On the topic of development kits, Intelligent Systems is responsible for producing and distributing development kits for Nintendo (IS is more of an engineering/development firm than a game studio). The idea of them not having access to the dev kits seems rather strange, since they would likely be the first company to be aware of the tech specs and capabilities of the Switch. If they couldn't work on a Switch game immediately, it would likely been that the design and capabilities of the Switch was not fully finalized.

3 hours ago, BZL8 said:

On the topic of development kits, Intelligent Systems is responsible for producing and distributing development kits for Nintendo (IS is more of an engineering/development firm than a game studio). The idea of them not having access to the dev kits seems rather strange, since they would likely be the first company to be aware of the tech specs and capabilities of the Switch. If they couldn't work on a Switch game immediately, it would likely been that the design and capabilities of the Switch was not fully finalized.

Really? I had heard that before famicom wars IS did that kind of stuff but I thought that they had stopped after they started making games.

I wonder when they began working on stuff like the characters, music and story. And when they moved on to actual development.

*Thanks for sharing the interviews Glennstavos (I don't know how to mark someone's name). I love echoes and some dev insight into the game is always welcomed.

Edited by SuperNova125

24 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

Really? I had heard that before famicom wars IS did that kind of stuff but I thought that they had stopped after they started making games.

I wonder when they began working on stuff like the characters, music and story. And when they moved on to actual development.

Nope. To this day, IS still produces development tools and kits for Nintendo and third-party developers for Nintendo consoles and devices. Most tend to see IS as a game developer, but IS is also Nintendo's primary dev-kit producer. 

Actual development probably started after IS produced and distributed the first Switch dev-kits to developers. Probably even before if they really knew a lot about the Switch specs and capabilities before hand. Pre-production, on the other hand, I would say after the active development cycle for "Fates", but "Echoes" and "Heroes" throws a wrench in the pipeworks as to when IS worked on FE16 during its pre-production phase.

Edited by BZL8

I just realized that the 20th is a Friday, does Nintendo do this sort of thing this close to the weekend or if get lucky and get something will it probably be earlier in the week or early next week?

Edited by nirvanafan