Anna Trailer

Reese Balaski

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the trailer to be one of the few capable of softening my hard heart.

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

why would they? i'm having so much fun, i already prepared some pop-corn!

back on topic, anna looks very fun to use, and the recruiting method is pretty unique too

i wonder what she could become after promoting... inb4 she becomes jake himself.

also, seconded.

22 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

No Jake cameo, sad. He'd be the perfect guy to manage the Ballista, but of course they decided to ran Awakening's multiple Anna joke into the ground. IS hates that guy at this point.

Jake has never been as important/iconic as Anna. He got cut from Mystery, he made no appearance in FE6, used a generic head sprite for his FE7 appearance, and didn't appear again until SD, and then returned in NM where he finally got a real new appearance after so many years.

I do agree that Jake should be brought back, Heroes could surely try inventing a new one to expand the Askr trio to an Askr Quartet (give him a legendary Bow or Dagger). Giving Anna someone to play her off of instead of having her in her own vacuum would be appreciated. And I once thought it'd be nice idea if Anna could have a kid with any normal 1st Gen male in Awakening, and if I decided to give her the boy and Say'ri a girl, the boy would be named Jake, the girl Annette. Annette would be Thief, and Jake a Fighter. Say'ri's son would be a Barbarian, who thinks he knows what Chon'sin culture is, but really has a terribly warped idea of it since his apocalyptic upbringing ruined the country and his chance at understanding it. The daughter, well I hadn't decided what she'd be since I liked the son idea more, but a Dark Mage would appreciated since the 2nd Gen only has Laurent as a magic user.

I also concur the mischievous/mysterious Secret Shop/Tutorial/Suspend girl was better than Miss Avarice. The puns flew off the shelves in the beginning and were a hot sale, but reading the fine print of her dealings with Tiki and the Hot Spring DLC downgraded my likability rating of her to near Junk status. Yet, her Harvest Scramble Tiki convo did help salvage her damaged reputation somewhat by making her huge family into archivists of all of FE's history. That aspect I wouldn't mind seeing brought out again.

And please, Your Majesty, could you put down that black orb you carry around with you all the time? I think it's affecting your health. I've joined you in rightful critiques of this game for the past few days, but do consider if you've gone too far in this particular topic. I beseech you as your humble servant, Boah.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Jake has never been as important/iconic as Anna. He got cut from Mystery, he made no appearance in FE6, used a generic head sprite for his FE7 appearance, and didn't appear again until SD, and then returned in NM where he finally got a real new appearance after so many years.

I do agree that Jake should be brought back, Heroes could surely try inventing a new one to expand the Askr trio to an Askr Quartet (give him a legendary Bow or Dagger). Giving Anna someone to play her off of instead of having her in her own vacuum would be appreciated. And I once thought it'd be nice idea if Anna could have a kid with any normal 1st Gen male in Awakening, and if I decided to give her the boy and Say'ri a girl, the boy would be named Jake, the girl Annette. Annette would be Thief, and Jake a Fighter. Say'ri's son would be a Barbarian, who thinks he knows what Chon'sin culture is, but really has a terribly warped idea of it since his apocalyptic upbringing ruined the country and his chance at understanding it. The daughter, well I hadn't decided what she'd be since I liked the son idea more, but a Dark Mage would appreciated since the 2nd Gen only has Laurent as a magic user.

I also concur the mischievous/mysterious Secret Shop/Tutorial/Suspend girl was better than Miss Avarice. The puns flew off the shelves in the beginning and were a hot sale, but reading the fine print of her dealings with Tiki and the Hot Spring DLC downgraded my likability rating of her to near Junk status. Yet, her Harvest Scramble Tiki convo did help salvage her damaged reputation somewhat by making her huge family into archivists of all of FE's history. That aspect I wouldn't mind seeing brought out again.

And please, Your Majesty, could you put down that black orb you carry around with you all the time? I think it's affecting your health. I've joined you in rightful critiques of this game for the past few days, but do consider if you've gone too far in this particular topic. I beseech you as your humble servant, Boah.

Jake's sprite in FE7 was unique. Though in FE4, he did use a villager portrait, one of the many cuts due to the cartridge space being used up.

The history keepers could be interesting, but now Anna is just money, money, money.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

16 hours ago, Medeus said:

Considering Dissidia pretty much crafted a new personality for Warrior of Light and Robin didn't have a truly defined appearance until Smash I'm not sure I agree that 1 and 3 couldn't have gotten their protagonists. If they wanted to represent those games character-wise there are options to do so (ex. follow Link's example and use a special character to speak for them for 1 and use a base appearance like with Corrin for the third one), they just chose not to so they could focus on other games. Similarly, just because a character isn't popular/not as iconic doesn't mean they can't be added otherwise as Agitha proves (she was added by Koei themselves) so I don't think that's a good excuse for 9 either. In general, there was still a focus on certain DQ games over others that left some of them underrepresented, and that direction is likely something Koei themselves are responsible for considering it's been present across three recent crossovers from them. 

Really, I feel the reason Heroes felt like it worked better is because it picked a set of characters that felt like they covered more bases, even if there were still holes here and there it came out a bit more satisfying. HW, while I will admit it sucked to not have WW characters, also had a nice base roster with a variety of movesets and characters that represented multiple aspects of their respective games as you had two sages, the main trio, three notable villains, one of the most popular side characters, and Fi. With FE:W, the problem wasn't the directional choice of having a focus set of games, it's that said focus was handled poorly. It does feel lopsided as from the choice in games, one of said games having a large main cast, and the other questionable decisions in terms of weapon and class balance it doesn't feel like many bases were covered well. Archanea got a spare few characters vs. Fates nearly half of the roster, classes like Armor Knights were ignored, and weapon balance (something they were touting as a reason behind the focus) still came out sword-focused as you have over ten that wields that weapon vs. many others three at best ignoring the NPC characters. I feel that if they chose the games differently (ex. trade out Fates for Elibe) and better spread their weapon and class choices, we probably would've came out more satisfied with the roster as then more bases and characters could've been covered across their game bias, but unfortunately they dropped the ball and that resulted in the roster we see now. 

The Dissidia deal is a little different, since Dissidia was handled by Square. They had every resource on hand to make new personalities for the Warrior of Light and the Onion Knight. As neat as it could have been, coming up with personalities for Erdrick/Loto and the Hero would have been above and beyond the call of duty for KT with Heroes. Plus, Dragon Quest is a Sacred Cow in Japan. If they had given Erdrick or the Hero personalities, and people didn't like it, there would have been boycotts worse than if they just didn't include those two to represent DQ1 and 3.

And true, Heroes didn't feel quite as egregious because the picks weren't quite so... controversial. But I still feel like they were a bit more thoughtful than they were with Hyrule Warriors and now Fire Emblem Warriors. And I think it has to do with Nintendo. I think Nintendo is a lot more strict/conservative(As they are notorious for) with what was in HW and FEW. I can imagine Square was more hands-off with Heroes 1, and when it sold well and Heroes 2 came out, KT was given even more freedom, which is why DQH2 is borderline a JRPG.

Edited by Slumber

On 9/28/2017 at 0:52 AM, Zangetsu said:

Alright now I just know you're an elitist for a fact. So have fun being pompous with your claims & everywhere else you go.

On 9/28/2017 at 0:54 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

If they are their descendants, fine. But either way, IS shouldn't just sweep the regional Anna and Jake under the rug forever.

Awakening and Fates are already over represented, why not give something to Shadow Dragon by doing the original Anna?

AKA: I am a fan who hates the first five games and their remakes, looking down on older fans while refusing to see their viewpoints. When someone criticizes any aspect of Awakening in any way, I cry Wah, Wah, Elitist.

Gotta love your hypocrisy.

Give it a rest you two.  You can always Ignore each other.

On 9/28/2017 at 1:21 AM, LucarioGamer812 said:

editing a quote in is hard so this is the best I could do

That's a cool way of doing it.  Keep on keeping on~!

On 9/28/2017 at 7:51 AM, omegaxis1 said:

My theory is that all Annas are in fact different versions of the same person. Anna is able to travel across space time and thus all her counterparts can exist at any point in time. She is omnipresent. 

Does that mean Jake is similar, since he appears in multiple games?

---

I guess it wouldn't be a Fire Emblem game without the avaricious merchant.  Not sure if I like that unlock requirement, though. . .

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, Slumber said:

The Dissidia deal is a little different, since Dissidia was handled by Square. They had every resource on hand to make new personalities for the Warrior of Light and the Onion Knight. As neat as it could have been, coming up with personalities for Erdrick/Loto and the Hero would have been above and beyond the call of duty for KT with Heroes. Plus, Dragon Quest is a Sacred Cow in Japan. If they had given Erdrick or the Hero personalities, and people didn't like it, there would have been boycotts worse than if they just didn't include those two to represent DQ1 and 3.

And true, Heroes didn't feel quite as egregious because the picks weren't quite so... controversial. But I still feel like they were a bit more thoughtful than they were with Hyrule Warriors and now Fire Emblem Warriors. And I think it has to do with Nintendo. I think Nintendo is a lot more strict/conservative(As they are notorious for) with what was in HW and FEW. I can imagine Square was more hands-off with Heroes 1, and when it sold well and Heroes 2 came out, KT was given even more freedom, which is why DQH2 is borderline a JRPG.

It's different in that Dissidia was made under Square yes, but you still had to take an older character with little established personality and flesh them out decades past their original creation for a spinoff with the original designers potentially being out of reach of the company. While it does lack the same communication issues of characters like maybe Pit or even Pokémon with TPCi, it's still work you had to do and a careful line you had to tread to ensure that the characters were portrayed correctly. Additionally, if they were wary about giving them personalities there were workarounds they could've done. Link also doesn't speak and has a limited personality dependent on the game he's in, but Koei worked around it by having a fairy speak for him, so theoretically they could've done something similar to preserve Erdrick and the heroes as characters without overextending their reach such as communicating through body language or having a character convey their thoughts in a limited matter. 

I do understand why they were wary to adding Erdrick or the DQ3 heroes, but just because I understand the apprehension doesn't mean that the issue couldn't have been dealt with. There were still probably people that were disappointed to see that those characters from the original trilogy were missing, and depending on the freedom Koei had the options may've been there to appease them. 

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, Slumber said:

Forgive me for being a little blunt here, but I don't think you're claim is really founded here when it comes to HW and it seems to be mostly based on your own disappointment. Looking at the interviews, they're very free of any 'Nintendo had us do this, Zelda Team had us do that' type thing, they seemed to have a relative freedom to making the game they wanted to make. Similarly, they had enough leeway in the work they were doing for Aonuma and Nintendo to allow them to use Agitha, a character that was Koei's own personal choice that they wanted in the game and had very little notable popularity or plot importance. Between the situation we're seeing with FE:W and HW, it's like night and day, Aonuma and the Zelda team seem to be pretty hands-off and let them do what they wanted to do and it seems like they were pretty satisfied with the work Koei was doing. 

In short, the information we have on HW does little to support the claim that Nintendo is solely to blame. Both Nintendo and Aonuma didn't seem to have too much involvement past what was necessary and some of the controversial decisions that exist in the game like Agitha can be traced to Koei. Either way, there's a clear difference between what happened with HW and FE:W and whatever issues that exist within the latter game is likely something that's a result of its own exclusive case. 

Edited by Medeus

7 minutes ago, Medeus said:

I think you're making an unfounded claim there then, as it's based mostly on your own disappointment and not on what's been reflected in the information we've been given on the development of the game. Looking at the interviews, they're very free of any 'Nintendo had us do this, Zelda Team had us do that' type thing, they seemed to have a relative freedom to making the game they wanted to make. Similarly, they had enough leeway in the work they were doing for Aonuma and Nintendo to allow them to use Agitha, a character that was Koei's own personal choice that they wanted in the game and had very little notable popularity or plot importance. Between the situation we're seeing with FE:W and HW, it's like night and day, Aonuma and the Zelda team seem to be pretty hands-off and let them do what they wanted to do and it seems like they were pretty satisfied with the work Koei was doing. 

In short, the information we have on HW does little to support the claim that Nintendo is solely to blame. Both Nintendo and Aonuma seemed to be hands off and some of the controversial decisions that exist in the game like Agitha can be traced to Koei. There's a clear difference between what happened with HW and FE:W, and whatever issues that exist within the latter game is likely something that's a result of its own exclusive case. 

Maybe HW was different, but the way it turned out reminds me a lot of how FEW turned out. Even down to focusing on just three games, the three games that were the best sellers at the time HW came out. And in the case of FEW, that was all on Nintendo. Agitha was an out there choice, but she was still from the 3 games they worked with in HW.

If it was different, and Aonuma/Nintendo was very hands off with HW, I'd really like to see something that says that, because the pattern is a lot more in-line with FEW, which has Nintendo's influence all over it. And again, given Nintendo's tendency to be VERY hands-on with third parties using their properties(I believe Star Fox: Zero was another recent case of this, iirc) puts me more on the side of "Nintendo probably had a lot of say into what went into HW" than on the side of "Nintendo was probably very hands-off".

Edited by Slumber

40 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Maybe HW was different, but the way it turned out reminds me a lot of how FEW turned out. Even down to focusing on just three games, the three games that were the best sellers at the time HW came out. And in the case of FEW, that was all on Nintendo. Agitha was an out there choice, but she was still from the 3 games they worked with in HW.

And again, this was not exclusive to Nintendo since as we just discussed Heroes had a similar thing. You may disagree with how it was handled with HW and FE:W vs. that game, but the decision to focus on a core set of games is not something Nintendo forces them to do, that's something Koei does themselves as a directional design for their crossovers.

40 minutes ago, Slumber said:

.If it was different, and Aonuma/Nintendo was very hands off with HW, I'd really like to see something that says that, because the pattern is a lot more in-line with FEW, which has Nintendo's influence all over it. And again, given Nintendo's tendency to be VERY hands-on with third parties using their properties(I believe Star Fox: Zero was another recent case of this, iirc) puts me more on the side of "Nintendo probably had a lot of say into what went into HW" than on the side of "Nintendo was probably very hands-off".

Here: http://nintendoeverything.com/hyrule-warriors-zelda-is-queen-zelda-aonuma-gave-the-dev-team-a-ton-of-freedom-soundtrack-more/

Mr. Aonuma: When I was speaking with the development team at Tecmo Koei, I actually told them to do things differently. I gave them a lot of freedom and told them that they didn’t have to be so careful with taking Zelda elements and putting them into Hyrule Warriors.

As I was working with them, I found the development team has lots of fans of the Zelda franchise, so they were the ones who put it upon themselves to take such a high level of care with the Zelda elements, not me or Nintendo. I gave them so much freedom that I told them they could almost break the Zelda elements a little if they had to, but they didn’t. They were very, very cautious and very careful.

Also, it should be noted that Aonuma also took ideas from Koei's work on HW such as having bosses on the open field, so it seems like Aonuma was pretty happy with their work. 

Edited by Medeus

On 9/28/2017 at 6:57 AM, wissenschaft said:

Wait, I know the FE warrior sequel's story will be about. The 3DS games vs the GBA games (with other games being added through DLC). Think about it, it would be so META. :P

Just make two NPCs that represent both sides (a militant traditionalist that hates the new way and a more relaxed individual that favors recent developments and call them Mila and Duma ). Hell work it into their names as far as Old vs. New; Feo and Fen, make either side playable depending on the player's choice, and have the story left open which side was actually 'in the right'.

27 minutes ago, Medeus said:

And again, this was not exclusive to Nintendo since as we just discussed Heroes had a similar thing. You may disagree with how it was handled with HW and FE:W vs. that game, but the decision to focus on a core set of games is not something Nintendo forces them to do, that's something Koei does themselves as a directional design for their crossovers.

Here: http://nintendoeverything.com/hyrule-warriors-zelda-is-queen-zelda-aonuma-gave-the-dev-team-a-ton-of-freedom-soundtrack-more/

Also, it should be noted that Aonuma also took ideas from Koei's work on HW such as having bosses on the open field, so it seems like Aonuma was pretty happy with their work. 

Interesting, so my question now becomes did Nintendo ease off because Aonuma was willing to let KT take the reigns (which wouldn't seem to be the case with IS and FEW) or is it at all possible that the changing of the president following Iwata had something to do with it? Curiouser and curiouser...

7 hours ago, DIO said:

Just make two NPCs that represent both sides (a militant traditionalist that hates the new way and a more relaxed individual that favors recent developments and call them Mila and Duma ). Hell work it into their names as far as Old vs. New; Feo and Fen, make either side playable depending on the player's choice, and have the story left open which side was actually 'in the right'.

I don't want our bitter fan battles IS shares in to appear in any game, unless it is really lightheartedly done tongue-in-cheek manner.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't want our bitter fan battles IS shares in to appear in any game, unless it is really lightheartedly done tongue-in-cheek manner.

I don't see why it shouldn't, especially considering how it played out in Hyrule Warriors between Cia and Lana. Picture two groups of fans; one that is obsessed with the Zelda series and wants it to be exclusively to their whims, vs. a fan that is equally infatuated with the series, but knows and accepts that that they can't control it ("You don't always end up with who you deserve... and I'm okay with that."). Fact is, if KT can blatantly highlight just how divided and insufferably cynical this fandom is, then I say it's a worthwhile criticism to make.

13 hours ago, DIO said:

I don't see why it shouldn't, especially considering how it played out in Hyrule Warriors between Cia and Lana. Picture two groups of fans; one that is obsessed with the Zelda series and wants it to be exclusively to their whims, vs. a fan that is equally infatuated with the series, but knows and accepts that that they can't control it ("You don't always end up with who you deserve... and I'm okay with that."). Fact is, if KT can blatantly highlight just how divided and insufferably cynical this fandom is, then I say it's a worthwhile criticism to make.

You're reading far too much into things. I'll need stronger evidence than your interpretation of Lana's and Cia's fawning over Link. Unless the developers admit to that, I don't believe it. Any overly construed fan theory is bunk in itself. But if that's fun for you, go ahead and believe. I'm just not buying it.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:57 AM, Slumber said:

Didn't they invent some stupid love backstory stuff for Kefka? I read about it on FF Wiki, and I don't think that was a good move for the nihilist clown of FFVI, he's better off with just a somewhat broken mind from magic experimentation. Though WoL, OK, the Emperor, and Dark Cloud getting personality are fine.

For DQ's silent protags, the easy way to handle things would be to keep them with totally generic one liners or grunts with an expressive face. Or do a Link and invent people to speak for them.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 9/29/2017 at 11:54 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

Jake's sprite in FE7 was unique. Though in FE4, he did use a villager portrait, one of the many cuts due to the cartridge space being used up.

The history keepers could be interesting, but now Anna is just money, money, money.

Just in case you didn't know, Lyn mentions in a support with Anna that there was someone who looked identical to her and she had a boyfriend. I don't know if there are anymore supports that mention about Jake though.

2 minutes ago, Crubat said:

Just in case you didn't know, Lyn mentions in a support with Anna that there was someone who looked identical to her and she had a boyfriend. I don't know if there are anymore supports that mention about Jake though.

Hers and Caeda's reference Jake and how she fought with him during the War of Shadows.

14 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Already settled it matter through like Anomalocaris suggested.

. . .or you can use the Ignore button, so that I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU GUYS TO KNOCK IT OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Really, this kind of response is unwarranted.  What you posted was already grounds for a warning.  Don't do that again.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:27 PM, eclipse said:

Does that mean Jake is similar, since he appears in multiple games?

---

I guess it wouldn't be a Fire Emblem game without the avaricious merchant.  Not sure if I like that unlock requirement, though. . .

Spoiler

Actually, on the FE reddit someone posted that Anna mentions in a support that she use to date a pirate....so the theory is that Shanty Pete is Jake alter ego.

just lol.

Edit: I found the post. Its the AnnaXLyn support. This kind of supports the theory that Anna is a dimension hoper/ time traveler. LOL

Edit 2: Actually, its probably just a FE 7 reference since Jake was a pirate in FE 7.

Edited by wissenschaft

3 hours ago, wissenschaft said:
  Hide contents

Actually, on the FE reddit someone posted that Anna mentions in a support that she use to date a pirate....so the theory is that Shanty Pete is Jake alter ego.

just lol.

Edit: I found the post. Its the AnnaXLyn support. This kind of supports the theory that Anna is a dimension hoper/ time traveler. LOL

Edit 2: Actually, its probably just a FE 7 reference since Jake was a pirate in FE 7.

She doesn't say anything like that. I don't know why that guy would spread misinformation like that. But it's Reddit, so I'm not surprised. 

12 minutes ago, Pizzaface said:

She doesn't say anything like that. I don't know why that guy would spread misinformation like that. But it's Reddit, so I'm not surprised. 

Really? He lied? LOL, I didn't check the support myself because they are scattered around in the thread so hard to fine. How odd.

Oh, theres a new thread with all the supports. Well, never mind.

Edited by wissenschaft