New unit ideas?

MetalAmethyst

Infantry that can use lances and axes/crushing weapons (or just lances/just axes+etc. if necessary for balance), not a unique character, but as a soldier unit that fights best in formation with other units.  It would have a balanced stat dispersion and be based on medieval lines of soldiers with halberds, lucernes, and maybe other practical weapons.  Bonus if they can equip shields/weapons with shields that increase the protection of themselves and adjacent allies.

Pros:

-Can make non-PC basic units more unique to fight with/against

-Can make relative positioning more of a consideration than other games

-Allows for lances and axes to not be overshadowed by swords without making swords lower tier

-Creates a type of physical unit that could counter mages without having ridiculous res due to mages wanting to avoid attacking multiple enemies

-can mitigate certain types of player controlled choke points by making the player not want to bunch enemies up in a single spot

-allows for the fantasy of leaving a line of units as a defensive wall to be viable, not broken, nor boring

-allows for cavaliers to be differentiated from infantry without making them sub-optimal or ushering in a new age of horse emblem

Cons:

-In order for them to be fun to use as a player controlled unit, we must have more of them than most other units in the roster or allow for their specialty to be used in a lesser form by other units

-if used by player, it would be difficult to differentiate them from each other without copying the Pegasus trio differentiation

-if handled poorly, players may be forced to sacrifice units

-may be an incentive for making capturing units/using pseudo-default characters too important 

I created a Hoshidan character a while back that was a Male Pegasus Knight who came from a bloodline of Samurais. But he's lazy as hell, which is the reason why he chose to be a Peg Knight. I mean it fits pretty well with the character bunch there. On a 1-10 scale for each stat, it was pretty much. Hp-6 Atk-6 Skl-4 Spd-9 Lck-7 Def-3 Res-7. Huh, pretty close to a standard Peg Knight. I also made him a "Lazy Aura" Personal skill which would cause -5 hit and avo to everyone around him.

Other than that, I want to see more female mercs. Those are pretty cool.

I would personally like to see a black magic class that works similarly to clerics in Fire Emblem Echoes/Gaiden, except that they start with extremely low health every map, and must build up powerful spells through Nosferatu&Health Gaining. I'd also like a Cleric that is less focused on healing, and more on buffs&debuffs/utility, making each cleric have a different purpose and give them a sense of uniqueness. I'd also like to see flying clerics and more importantly armored clerics that are weak to magic.

Never really knew about my fondness for clerics before this post... 

Edited by Orbital

A really confused unit who can use dark magic and healing but that’s it. The character would be unsure of most decisions they make and would be very catious when talking to people. They’d also have a short temper, but their bits of anger are short lived 

I love transformation units and I think a gorilla would be a cool one! Especially if a female because of how shocking that would be if you met her in gorilla form 

5 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

A really confused unit who can use dark magic and healing but that’s it. The character would be unsure of most decisions they make and would be very catious when talking to people. They’d also have a short temper, but their bits of anger are short lived 

I love transformation units and I think a gorilla would be a cool one! Especially if a female because of how shocking that would be if you met her in gorilla form 

Limiting attack options, but seems interesting enough.

A Gorilla Laguz, that's female... now there's something I haven't heard of before!

Inspired by an ancient Chinese tale (as told in the DW series)

A dancer character with a hidden agenda. She becomes a corrupted king's favorite, but also catches the attention of his strong and serious son/prince/general, whom she convinces to rebel against the corrupted king. The son/prince/general starts off as a Camus, however, completing certain conditions that helps unravel the dancer's past and motivations, allows her to be recruited by the player, who in turn recruits the Camus. So it's similar to the Percival + Elphin/Lalum situation.

Something that can affect the battle map. Like how you put statues and other crap on My Castle. Maybe a mage with a special tome that can create magic barriers? A beast unit who can dig trap holes? As long as it's not an overpowered feature I would be pretty excited.

A unit with autism. This character is extremely skilled on the battlefield, but, depending on the degree of autism (high-functioning, low-functioning, etc.) can barely speak in support conversations, and otherwise is awkward and clearly struggles with social interactions. But the autism is portrayed accurately and tastefully, rather than as another one-quirk character. 

The character is a teenager/young adult, and doesn't speak much because of the way they struggle with social interactions. They explain that learning how to act around others never came as easily to them as it did to their sibling(s), especially if the character is of nobility. Their 'quirks' were first noticed at a very young age. The character is very kind-hearted and well-meaning.

Speaking of which, the sibling is also a playable unit. Sociable and easy-going, but fiercely protective of their autistic sibling, as they grew up with the autistic character and understand their quirks.

57 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

A unit with autism. This character is extremely skilled on the battlefield, but, depending on the degree of autism (high-functioning, low-functioning, etc.) can barely speak in support conversations, and otherwise is awkward and clearly struggles with social interactions. But the autism is portrayed accurately and tastefully, rather than as another one-quirk character. 

The character is a teenager/young adult, and doesn't speak much because of the way they struggle with social interactions. They explain that learning how to act around others never came as easily to them as it did to their sibling(s), especially if the character is of nobility. Their 'quirks' were first noticed at a very young age. The character is very kind-hearted and well-meaning.

Speaking of which, the sibling is also a playable unit. Sociable and easy-going, but fiercely protective of their autistic sibling, as they grew up with the autistic character and understand their quirks.

As a guy with the same disorder, I think it would be cool to have a unit like that, but the staff would have to be careful about how they're written.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎07 at 11:29 AM, MetalAmethyst said:

As a guy with the same disorder, I think it would be cool to have a unit like that, but the staff would have to be careful about how they're written.

I have high-functioning autism as well, which is how I came up with the idea. I am optimistic, because there are a few examples of popular media in recent years that have done a good job writing autistic characters, though usually they are guest characters, rather than major ones. 

Unit ideas.

1) 3 buff Redheaded Pirate/Berserker sisters are the daughters of a Pirate captain (someone like Captain Fargus), each of them is in charge of their own pirate fleet and they have to be recruited in different ways like being hired, one-on-one combat, talking to them with the right unit (not the lord) The eldest would be protective of her two younger sisters and is frequently looking out for them and she excels in HP, STR. and DEF. as well as high growths in these areas, the 2nd has high HP, SKILL and RES and is the most tactful of the three the youngest is reckless and impetuous she has a lot of HP, SP, and LUCK as such she doubles and has the best critical percentages.

2) a Wolf shifter who is the leader of a mercenary band including a blend of mercenary, soldier and fighter units and other shifters, his 2nd in command a Lion shifter, this guy would be recruitable by paying him a said amount of gold and would mean he would join including his lion friend. He would have balanced stats and growths and very good bases.

3) a brother-sister draco rider duo, one excels in Str and Def while the other has high amounts of Sp and Res.

4) a dragon shifter who doesn't like humans but is recruited by having the Est archetype deployed and she talks to this character. (But DRAGONS!)

1 minute ago, SavageVolug said:

3 buff Redheaded Pirate/Berserker sisters are the daughters of a Pirate captain (someone like Captain Fargus), each of them is in charge of their own pirate fleet and they have to be recruited in different ways like being hired, one-on-one combat, talking to them with the right unit (not the lord) The eldest would be protective of her two younger sisters and is frequently looking out for them and she excels in HP, STR. and DEF. as well as high growths in these areas, the 2nd has high HP, SKILL and RES and is the most tactful of the three the youngest is reckless and impetuous she has a lot of HP, SP, and LUCK as such she doubles and has the best critical percentages.

...So basically the Pegasus Sisters, but Pirates?  Mmmmm...

Would they be able to do the Triangle Attack?

Just now, Von Ithipathachai said:

...So basically the Pegasus Sisters, but Pirates?  Mmmmm...

Would they be able to do the Triangle Attack?

Heck yeah! BUT their triangle attack is a guaranteed critical, reason they're BERSERKERS for crying out loud.

46 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

Heck yeah! BUT their triangle attack is a guaranteed critical, reason they're BERSERKERS for crying out loud.

Wasn't the Triangle Attack already a guaranteed Critical to begin with?  ...Come to think of it, wouldn't such a thing be redundant on a trio of Berserkers?

Anyway, while we're still on the subject of Berserkers, while coming up with OCs for my Fire Emblem: Uprising story, one character I came up with (but never actually drew) was a dominatrix pre-promoted Berserker named Hippolyta.  She would be similar to Charlotte in stats, but with even more overkill offense, packing an innate Critical +10, Wrath, AND Astra, but badly lacking in both HP and defenses.  This character would first be encountered as a chapter boss in which the protagonists are ambushed by a notorious all-female bandit gang known as the Amazons, which Hippolyta leads.  Upon being defeated, she decides to join the protagonists to learn the source of their strength, leaving a second-in-command in charge while she's away.

1 hour ago, SavageVolug said:

Wasn't the Triangle Attack already a guaranteed Critical to begin with?  ...Come to think of it, wouldn't such a thing be redundant on a trio of Berserkers?

Anyway, while we're still on the subject of Berserkers, while coming up with OCs for my Fire Emblem: Uprising story, one character I came up with (but never actually drew) was a dominatrix pre-promoted Berserker named Hippolyta.  She would be similar to Charlotte in stats, but with even more overkill offense, packing an innate Critical +10, Wrath, AND Astra, but badly lacking in both HP and defenses.  This character would first be encountered as a chapter boss in which the protagonists are ambushed by a notorious all-female bandit gang known as the Amazons, which Hippolyta leads.  Upon being defeated, she decides to join the protagonists to learn the source of their strength, leaving a second-in-command in charge while she's away.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.  My Internet is misbehaving.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

12 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Von Ithipathachai, It may be a guaranteed critical in other games but in Echoes it's not necessarily a GUARANTEED critical although the crit percentage is high. So I was going off of that I'm not sure what it was like in other games. And yeah, a guaranteed critical probably IS redundant on a trio of berserkers, I was envisioning instead of say a 55 crit percentage the triangle attack for them would be 100%. I like the sound of Hippolyta, sounds like an awesome unit. Would you use the Resolve skill from Radiant Dawn for any of your characters?

Making it so unmounted and mounted units can mount/dismount
Or just have a class promotion option that can preform this action. I feel like good map design and such will help lead to interesting tactics and player decisions.
Adding a class like this to the game would help promote interesting choices.

Here's an idea that FE has never done although the idea exists in other RPGs. A Brawler. A unit who fights by, punching, kicking, grappling/throwing his/her opponent, the weapon could be a pair of gloves. Say maybe Bronze, Iron, Steel, Silver, with maybe Brave, and Killer equivalents.