What are your thoughts on Spoilers?

Naglfar94

As the topic says I am curious what are everyones views on spoilers? On anything games, shows, books, manga, etc. just anything in general? I am asking because personally I can`t see it from the others point of view. I never understand why someone becomes upset about getting told even the smallest thing. Personally it annoys me greatly when someone complains about spoilers. 

Note I can feel sympathy with someone not wanting spoilers if the series just now came out and is fresh and brand new then yeah I can kinda see. But it annoys me to no end when I speak to someone about something and then they complain about freaking spoilers on a Tv show, game or book that is old as heck it`s old passed done what do ya expect? of course you are gonna hear and see stuff about it.So I can`t stand it when someone gets upset over something from like 1990`s or early 2000`s that has long passed and ended. 

It`s annoying when I try and tell someone about a certain character and I bring up ''insert character'' dies later in the story and I get accused of spoilers eh?? Not much was spoiled. For me it`s like this ya learn about a certain character or event in the story ''spoiler'' right? But usually when people explain stuff they tell it either in pieces or like I do since I mainly discuss characters and not so much story learn one of them dies. But it`s not spoiled technically as you still don`t know the circumstance or the cause of such event. 

So for me I don`t mind spoilers at all I actually actively seek them especially if there is a series and my favorite character is involved I often wanna see their status if they are alive or not so usually a fast visit to a wiki solves that. But I don`t mind because I still do not know the events leading up to it what happens between? What happens before? Unless the entire narrative is laid out in front of me and explained word for word nothing is really revealed in my eyes. It`s the journey to that key point that matters and you don`t know the journey to it unless the whole thing is laid out.

So yeah Sorry if this came off as a bit rantish but it`s so annoying as recently I introduced 2 friends of mine to the Naruto series and we discuss the characters together and I bring up say Itachi Uchiha dies later and I get accused of spoilers. When i didn`t all I said was he dies later you don`t know when later is or how/why it even happens. And on top of that Naruto is old as heck it ended ages ago so avoiding spoilers is nigh impossible at this point all is said and done like with all old series. As far as video games go finding out your character dies later mainly for RPG games I find quite helpful as I am the type who likes going in ready. because some games can be cruel to ya and whatever items/equipment you had are lost or you pour a load of time into someone only to see later ya wasted all that time as they leave later Lol. I hear SaGa Frontier 2 a game which I started recently has tons of characters die on you so that was helpful for me as now I know not to even waste time training up any of them wasting time until later in.

So yeah opinions? What is and what is not a spoiler to you guys? What do you consider a spoiler? And which part matters to you most? 

It honestly really depends especially since i sometimes end up giving in to the temptation to look up spoilers.

For example, i don't really mind JoJo spoilers. If anything, they keep me even more interested (also the fact that JoJo is like 30 years old at this point).

However, i don't want people to spoil the new Star Wars movies. When The Last Jedi releases this December, i would try my best to not get spoiled.

Similarly, i don't want any spoilers for games i'm gonna end up getting. Though, depending on how long it takes between the Japanese and English release dates, i may end up spoiling myself because temptation. This is why i'm glad Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a worldwide simultaneous release. Because i don't have to worry about Japan spoiling the game 6+ months in advance.

They should fit the car.  An old Corolla doesn't need a sky-high--oh, wait wrong spoiler. :P:

I try not to spoil myself too much, since I like discovering things for myself.  Don't pull a "Luke is Darth Vader's son" type of thing shortly after the release of a game/anime/movie/whatever, and I'll be fine with it.

I would, however, be pissed if you told me that Itachi dies before I had a chance to see it.  That's something that should be discovered, not told.

I don't mind spoilers if it's something that's well known at this point like Mufasa dying, or Aerith being killed by Sephiroth, or Zelda being Sheik. I get annoyed with spoilers if it's something recent. Like the latest episode of an anime I'm following or a recent chapter of a manga. I don't even like hearing if it was good or epic or to wait for that one awesome moment. I like being 100% oblivious to it so that if there is an epic moment, I'm not waiting all episode to see it happen. It'll be unexpected and make the scene more memorable. Of course in anime they have those episode preview things but they're rarely enough to spoil much for me.

As to your experience with your friends, I'd be annoyed too. If someone starts a new anime and they were completely oblivious to stuff about it, don't ruin that experience for them. Even if you never mentioned how Itachi died, the fact alone you mentioned he did was a bad move. Especially if your friends never followed Naruto until you exposed them to it. I got spoiled that Neji died but that was before I got into Naruto so when I eventually began watching the series, it didn't bother me cause it was too late lol.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It honestly really depends especially since i sometimes end up giving in to the temptation to look up spoilers.

For example, i don't really mind JoJo spoilers. If anything, they keep me even more interested (also the fact that JoJo is like 30 years old at this point).

However, i don't want people to spoil the new Star Wars movies. When The Last Jedi releases this December, i would try my best to not get spoiled.

Similarly, i don't want any spoilers for games i'm gonna end up getting. Though, depending on how long it takes between the Japanese and English release dates, i may end up spoiling myself because temptation. This is why i'm glad Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a worldwide simultaneous release. Because i don't have to worry about Japan spoiling the game 6+ months in advance.

Same here I sometimes end up giving in and looking anyways too at certain stuff. I did that a bunch with One Piece which I just started recently currently at 4th volume of the manga I looked way ahead and thanks to that it got me interested in it after I saw how many cool characters appear later. Since One Piece is still an ongoing series despite being old it`s still ongoing so it fits the slate for me as new. I won`t say here who those characters are to avoid spoiling that. 

Ah that is rare Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got released at same time all versions? Now that is handy wish most all stuff did that.

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

They should fit the car.  An old Corolla doesn't need a sky-high--oh, wait wrong spoiler. :P:

I try not to spoil myself too much, since I like discovering things for myself.  Don't pull a "Luke is Darth Vader's son" type of thing shortly after the release of a game/anime/movie/whatever, and I'll be fine with it.

I would, however, be pissed if you told me that Itachi dies before I had a chance to see it.  That's something that should be discovered, not told.

Ah I see you are the type who likes to see stuff for yourself eh? Heh I see. And yes so pretty much nearly the same as I? If it`s new then yeah problem but older then not so much. Ah heh funnily I had discovered Itachi`s death from ironically looking ahead I remmeber I would constantly visit the wikia checking his status to make sure he was still living as no surprise here he became one of my most fav characters. So then one day I went there to check and found oh he done died. But I didn`t mind because I didn`t go through the whole entire article and read how it happened and the events leading up to it. All I knew is that he was dead somehow. So I just picked up and found out for myself afterwards.

19 minutes ago, Naglfar94 said:

I did that a bunch with One Piece which I just started recently currently at 4th volume of the manga I looked way ahead and thanks to that it got me interested in it after I saw how many cool characters appear later. Since One Piece is still an ongoing series despite being old it`s still ongoing so it fits the slate for me as new. I won`t say here who those characters are to avoid spoiling that. 

Regarding One Piece, this brings up another instance of how i treat spoilers: when said series is too on-going for me to keep up. Now, i haven't actually spoiled myself of One Piece (aside from Ace's death but i feel that is a "Dumbledore dies"-tier of spoilers, which basically means it's a well known spoiler that isn't really a spoiler anymore) but i'm using it as an example. In the case of One Piece, since i know i'm never catching up, i would spoil myself of what happens in later parts out of curiosity. I'm not catching up ever, so why wait?

Oh yeah, i also don't mind spoilers of things i don't care about/have no plans of watching/reading/playing. You can spoil to me literally every plot of the Final Fantasy series. I won't care since i have no plans to play those games. 

25 minutes ago, Naglfar94 said:

Ah that is rare Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got released at same time all versions? Now that is handy wish most all stuff did that.

Yeah, it's the first time the series has done that. Xenoblade Chronicles (the original) released in 2010 in Japan, then in 2012 in the US......I didn't get the game until the New 3DS port came out in 2015. Of course, i had already been spoiled of several plot points of that game (thanks Smash 4). That said, i wasn't spoiled completely. Most of the environments were new to me. I knew of the Bionis' Leg thanks to Smash, but my jaw dropped in amazement at Satrol Marsh. Beautiful place at night.

Xenoblade X had a 9 month wait between it's Japanese and English releases. However, i spoiled myself of that game. Why? Because i lacked a Wii U and i knew i was never gonna get it. Yeah, i also spoil myself of things (usually games) that i want but know i'll never get. Thankfully, i have a Switch and Xenoblade 2 will release on December 1st, 2017 in all regions, so i can play the game spoiler-free.

On a side note, i'll spoil myself on games where the story doesn't matter (such as FE Warriors).

2 hours ago, Naglfar94 said:

Ah I see you are the type who likes to see stuff for yourself eh? Heh I see. And yes so pretty much nearly the same as I? If it`s new then yeah problem but older then not so much. Ah heh funnily I had discovered Itachi`s death from ironically looking ahead I remmeber I would constantly visit the wikia checking his status to make sure he was still living as no surprise here he became one of my most fav characters. So then one day I went there to check and found oh he done died. But I didn`t mind because I didn`t go through the whole entire article and read how it happened and the events leading up to it. All I knew is that he was dead somehow. So I just picked up and found out for myself afterwards.

I count stuff like named character deaths as major spoilers.  Such things tend to shape the plot, unless it's a badly-done series.

My personal stance on spoilers really varies depending on how much I'm into it or care about it.
For most things, I have no problems with spoilers. But when it's something I'm really invested in, I try my best to avoid anything spoilery. And when I say 'anything', I mean anything.
Fire Emblem would be the most extreme here. I prefer to avoid anything and everything on Fire Emblem games I have not yet played and beaten once. When I play an FE game for the first time, I want it to be a completely new experience, so that I get a 100% first-time experience in-game. 
Even something as minor as seeing someone use an avatar of Forsyth from Echoes irks me. I know he is in the game (I've played Gaiden, so it would be really weird if they just decided to cut him out of Echoes), but it's the fact that some of the 'first-time experience' is taken away from me: I now know what Forsyth looks like in-game, I get a general idea of the artstyle, so when I actually play the game, it will be less of a 'first-time experience' and more of an '"oh yeah, I recognize this" experience'. Such things are pretty much unavoidable when you're on SF, so I can live with them, but I still try to avoid them as much as possible.

My point is that some people's problem with spoilers isn't that the story is laid out to them so they have no reason to read/watch/play/whatever it themselves anymore (like you seem to be arguing in the first post), but that they don't get to discover and experience it themselves; it's just being told to them.

I also don't think "This thing is so old" is an argument per se on why spoilers should be okay or less bad. It should be an argument for how generally acceptable it is to talk about things without spoiling them for people.
When you know someone hasn't read/watched/played/whatever something yet and would like to, you should keep in mind that they may not want to be spoiled on it, regardless of whether the book/show/game/whatever was released in AD 2017 or in 900 BC.
There's people who want to read the Iliad without being spoiled too.

I personally think that spoilers are a dumb concept.

My main argument  is that knowing the basic plot usually comes nowhere close to describing an  experience, especially in something like theater, where the director's adaptation of the material allows for huge variety of potential intepretations (even a conservative period costumed piece will vary in tone and meaning depending on which lines actors emphasize)

But even in static medium like games/movies, I do not see much of a problem- it's one thing to say "Aerith dies" and another thing all together to get there after 20 hours and simultaneously being  hit with the music. Or to know what Adrian Veldt's plan in Watchmen is. Again, the actual mechanics of the plot don't hurt you, because on their ow, they arent's particualry interesting. It is only in combination with the chapter that is basically a character study and his monologue on the matter, not to mention the subtle callback to all the arguments for and against heroes earlier, that gives this scene it's gravity. 

This is all to say nothing of ideas about reader-response, the same material is going to be pretty different to you than it was for your friend, even if  you've been told our friend's impression before watching it.

Not many people would go as far as this, but in a way "the spoken spoiler"  is even a form of adaptation, and therefore, different from the source material and eeven a symbol of its potentiality. Even when trying to be truthful. For me the clearest example is French "jakobite" and American "deep south" stories, many people have mental tics that cause them to try to correct the broken grammar, and hearing a public reading from them is considerably different than reading it from someone who tries to preserve the original dialect. You might still know that the story is about a servant working for his mistress (as the case may be), but it means considerably more when she is "miss'us" and when not just plot details, but even language separates characters.

For these reasons and  because my sister immunized me throughout the 90s and 2000s  I can't agree with the idea of spoilers "ruining" something that you haven't seen yet. I can think of many occasions where I even researched entire plots before ever turning the first page, and in all cases found the material to be wholly more than what it had been described as, and additooonaly in most cases, the spoilers even accented the material.

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

Late in the baseball season, teams that are already out of the playoffs often find knocking out a contending team to be very satisfying, especially if they are already rivals.  Oh, that's not the right spoiler either?

For plot related spoilers, I generally give a one-year statute of limitations on the localized version.  If you haven't played a game or watched a movie one year after its release, on that point, it's on you to avoid spoilers.

For non-plot relates spoilers, I don't see any problem with discussing gameplay, or new features.  Like in FE Heroes, if someone datamined what the heck Sacred Coins do, I don't see any problem with discussing them.

It sort of depends.

If the work is a classic (e.g.Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ocarina of Time, etc.) I don't care that much. After all, it's basically a given that people will know what you're talking about.

If it is recent, it depends on the popularity. For instance, something like Xenoblade Chronicles - which was objectively unknown by most people - shouldn't be spoiled or discussed without prior warning. But Pokemon, which is far more popular, could be discussed openly, as more people would know about it. In any situation however, there should be at least a month after something is released and it is free to discuss.

If something is leaked, no. I detest leaks and think they shouldn't be discussed anyway.

Of course, this is simply what I think should be the rule of thumb should be. I, personally, detest spoilers, specifically after Fates and Pokemon Sun were spoiled... though admittedly part of the problem was myself not resisting clicking of risky areas...

I'm like you, I don't care about being spoiled, and I just can't resist looking spoilers up myself!  Okay, I love spoilers.  When I used to read books, I would always go look at the last few pages to make sure the story had a happy ending and was worth finishing. 

People get reaaally serious about spoilers.  Pretty much all of my friends hate spoilers.  And... some of them know that I'm very loose lipped about spoilers.  I've been scolded so many times about spoiling things that I've gotten much better about holding it in (I think).  It's really hard, though!  Holding in all the juicy plot stuff is so stressful.  If we're watching a show together and it looks like a character is dead or something, I just want to say "don't worry they're not dead!"  That's just one example, and I've learned (through the scoldings, heh) that even tiny spoilers can piss people off.  I don't get it & I don't think I ever will, but I've learned to respect it.  Sort of.  

Also, I was one of the people who was not spoiled about Aeris dying.  I kind of wish I was... I was ten years old at the time & didn't have the internet yet.  I was shocked and upset about it for weeks... Aeris was my favourite!  :sob:  

Generally, I find that plot info falls into several catagories. Generally, I am fine with minor stuff (such as character personalities), obvious/easily guessable stuff stuff (being able to play as luigi in a mario game) or anything that gets revealed a short time in, (the tone of madoka magica is pretty obvious pretty early, even though that series tried to hide that fact in the advertising, and even the opening credits of the first few episodes).

That being said, Non-obvious key spoilers are NOT okay for me even if the media is old. There is simply far to much media out there for me to have even found all of the stuff I want to watch. If might be old for you, but it is new for me. It's okay if they are discussing the movie (because it can be assumed that people who want to avoid spoilers for old stuff will avoid in depth discussions), but I don't bring it up in casual conversation about other things. I have had people get annoyed at me for bringing up that vader was luke's father as a joke during an unrelated converastion. They had simply never watched "the empire strikes back".

It depends on the medium, honestly.
If it's a very story heavy game or a detective type game like Ace Attorney or Danganronpa then yea, I care a lot, but normally i don't mind too much unless it's something I'm really into and want to experience fresh.

It depends on the level of spoilers. Major plot twist or important character dies I'd like to avoid. But if its something in like the beginning then I won't be as mad because I was gonna run into pretty fast anyway.

However, it also depends on how old the content is. Such as FFVII. Its been 20 years.

But if its something new, I'd rather hear nothing about it.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:15 AM, Armagon said:

Oh yeah, i also don't mind spoilers of things i don't care about/have no plans of watching/reading/playing. You can spoil to me literally every plot of the Final Fantasy series. I won't care since i have no plans to play those games. 

On 10/1/2017 at 0:45 AM, Naglfar94 said:

Ultros is best girl in FF6. That's all you need to know about FF6.

Last year, I watched Star Wars Episode V with my niece and nephews for the first time. The look on my niece's face when she found out Darth Vader was Luke's father was priceless.

As a person who prefers to experience things first hand, I tend to avoid spoilers, however I normally will not mind too much unless the spoiler is for something I've been greatly participating. For example, if someone were to spoil the ending of Persona 5 for me before I beat it, I would be upset. However, if someone told me how Nioh ends, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest.

I would also be upset if someone spoiled the ending of Code Geass for me, but I wouldn't be upset if someone spoiled Bleach or Naruto's ending. For me, it all comes down to whatever I am personally invested in; however, I do think that people who don't mind spoilers should learn how to keep quiet sometimes, and that people who absolutely abhor spoilers should stop going on the internet and looking things up, because that is how you get spoiled.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:15 AM, Armagon said:

Regarding One Piece, this brings up another instance of how i treat spoilers: when said series is too on-going for me to keep up. Now, i haven't actually spoiled myself of One Piece (aside from Ace's death but i feel that is a "Dumbledore dies"-tier of spoilers, which basically means it's a well known spoiler that isn't really a spoiler anymore) but i'm using it as an example. In the case of One Piece, since i know i'm never catching up, i would spoil myself of what happens in later parts out of curiosity. I'm not catching up ever, so why wait?

Yeah, it's the first time the series has done that. Xenoblade Chronicles (the original) released in 2010 in Japan, then in 2012 in the US......I didn't get the game until the New 3DS port came out in 2015. Of course, i had already been spoiled of several plot points of that game (thanks Smash 4). That said, i wasn't spoiled completely. Most of the environments were new to me. I knew of the Bionis' Leg thanks to Smash, but my jaw dropped in amazement at Satrol Marsh. Beautiful place at night.

Xenoblade X had a 9 month wait between it's Japanese and English releases. However, i spoiled myself of that game. Why? Because i lacked a Wii U and i knew i was never gonna get it. Yeah, i also spoil myself of things (usually games) that i want but know i'll never get. Thankfully, i have a Switch and Xenoblade 2 will release on December 1st, 2017 in all regions, so i can play the game spoiler-free.

On a side note, i'll spoil myself on games where the story doesn't matter (such as FE Warriors).

Yeah same here that is exactly why I looked into spoilers of One Piece myself. Actually if it wasn`t for my finding spoilers I would never had even bothered to pick up One Piece at all and start diving into the manga like I am now. because to be honest I used to hate One Piece never saw the appeal in it or why it was good, it was one of those series I constantly pushed to the side. It wasn`t until I found out Ace died that I really considered checking the series out because that entire arc the Impel down arc and the marine forde war arc had me like ''wait hold up things done started to get real serious here now is this really One Piece?'' So now I am into it and looking forward to reaching that part but...I mean One Piece it`s so damn long I feel overwhelmed seeing the sheer amount of manga volumes are out for it. I`ll never catch up anytime soon either.

Also it sounds a lot like this Xenoblade game series is good from the way you described it up to now I will have to look into it myself heh good ol` youtube to see some gameplay and some of the story I gotta evaluate the game a bit before I decided yeah I`ll give a go. Hope it has good OST too.

On 10/1/2017 at 2:50 AM, eclipse said:

I count stuff like named character deaths as major spoilers.  Such things tend to shape the plot, unless it's a badly-done series.

Ah I see named characters? Personally I don`t mind :P Sometimes finding out even propels me to get into a series or continue with one. I sometimes tend to find out bout a series read about some of the characters on the gold ol` wikia and take a liking to a certain character just from reading about them, So if I find out they die at some point I am like oh shoot maybe I should check this out to see how it happens. It`s like my example I gave with One Piece I originally had no intent on ever picking it up as I originally hated it (saw a handful of episodes and chapters.) And was like ehhh nope. But then I found out later through spoiling myself that Ace dies and all these awesome cool characters show up later (I am a big fan of the admiral trio.) I changed my opinion after that and now welp I try to follow the series now.

On 10/1/2017 at 3:50 AM, Claudius I said:

My personal stance on spoilers really varies depending on how much I'm into it or care about it.
For most things, I have no problems with spoilers. But when it's something I'm really invested in, I try my best to avoid anything spoilery. And when I say 'anything', I mean anything.
Fire Emblem would be the most extreme here. I prefer to avoid anything and everything on Fire Emblem games I have not yet played and beaten once. When I play an FE game for the first time, I want it to be a completely new experience, so that I get a 100% first-time experience in-game. 
Even something as minor as seeing someone use an avatar of Forsyth from Echoes irks me. I know he is in the game (I've played Gaiden, so it would be really weird if they just decided to cut him out of Echoes), but it's the fact that some of the 'first-time experience' is taken away from me: I now know what Forsyth looks like in-game, I get a general idea of the artstyle, so when I actually play the game, it will be less of a 'first-time experience' and more of an '"oh yeah, I recognize this" experience'. Such things are pretty much unavoidable when you're on SF, so I can live with them, but I still try to avoid them as much as possible.

My point is that some people's problem with spoilers isn't that the story is laid out to them so they have no reason to read/watch/play/whatever it themselves anymore (like you seem to be arguing in the first post), but that they don't get to discover and experience it themselves; it's just being told to them.

I also don't think "This thing is so old" is an argument per se on why spoilers should be okay or less bad. It should be an argument for how generally acceptable it is to talk about things without spoiling them for people.
When you know someone hasn't read/watched/played/whatever something yet and would like to, you should keep in mind that they may not want to be spoiled on it, regardless of whether the book/show/game/whatever was released in AD 2017 or in 900 BC.
There's people who want to read the Iliad without being spoiled too.

Oooh ouch it`s to that extent you don`t like spoilers for Fire Emblem? Ah like you said it is like unavoidable here on SF especially when a new FE game comes out. Youtube would be another place too may click on a vid and see stuff. Hmm I see though I sorta get it now. I am so used to hearing and seeing spoilers though it`s almost natural to me haha Me and another friend of mine we always casually exchange spoilers about everything when discussing a series. Like if I am behind on something or vice versa and haven`t seen anything of a series I haven`t seen yet or one I am already into I get asked did I see ''insert part'' and then it goes on from there. And wow seriously? Whoa even the Iliad? Sheesh and the original date of it is way back in the BC.

On 10/1/2017 at 7:15 AM, Reality said:

I personally think that spoilers are a dumb concept.

My main argument  is that knowing the basic plot usually comes nowhere close to describing an  experience, especially in something like theater, where the director's adaptation of the material allows for huge variety of potential intepretations (even a conservative period costumed piece will vary in tone and meaning depending on which lines actors emphasize)

But even in static medium like games/movies, I do not see much of a problem- it's one thing to say "Aerith dies" and another thing all together to get there after 20 hours and simultaneously being  hit with the music. Or to know what Adrian Veldt's plan in Watchmen is. Again, the actual mechanics of the plot don't hurt you, because on their ow, they arent's particualry interesting. It is only in combination with the chapter that is basically a character study and his monologue on the matter, not to mention the subtle callback to all the arguments for and against heroes earlier, that gives this scene it's gravity. 

This is all to say nothing of ideas about reader-response, the same material is going to be pretty different to you than it was for your friend, even if  you've been told our friend's impression before watching it.

Not many people would go as far as this, but in a way "the spoken spoiler"  is even a form of adaptation, and therefore, different from the source material and eeven a symbol of its potentiality. Even when trying to be truthful. For me the clearest example is French "jakobite" and American "deep south" stories, many people have mental tics that cause them to try to correct the broken grammar, and hearing a public reading from them is considerably different than reading it from someone who tries to preserve the original dialect. You might still know that the story is about a servant working for his mistress (as the case may be), but it means considerably more when she is "miss'us" and when not just plot details, but even language separates characters.

For these reasons and  because my sister immunized me throughout the 90s and 2000s  I can't agree with the idea of spoilers "ruining" something that you haven't seen yet. I can think of many occasions where I even researched entire plots before ever turning the first page, and in all cases found the material to be wholly more than what it had been described as, and additooonaly in most cases, the spoilers even accented the material.

Agreed I think you worded it out far better than I did that was the point I was also trying to stretch. The fact that it`s one thing to say a character dies and another when you actually get to that point yourself. I spoiled myself before ever playing Final Fantasy V. I had watched a youtube video showing Galuf`s death and boy it..When I actually got to that point myself even after having seen the whole thing via a video that heavy feeling still crashed into me as if I had seen it for the 1st time. It`s one thing to see it looking from the outside but another to experience it first hand no matter how much it`s been ''spoiled''.

On 10/1/2017 at 4:37 PM, Infinite Dreams said:

I'm like you, I don't care about being spoiled, and I just can't resist looking spoilers up myself!  Okay, I love spoilers.  When I used to read books, I would always go look at the last few pages to make sure the story had a happy ending and was worth finishing. 

People get reaaally serious about spoilers.  Pretty much all of my friends hate spoilers.  And... some of them know that I'm very loose lipped about spoilers.  I've been scolded so many times about spoiling things that I've gotten much better about holding it in (I think).  It's really hard, though!  Holding in all the juicy plot stuff is so stressful.  If we're watching a show together and it looks like a character is dead or something, I just want to say "don't worry they're not dead!"  That's just one example, and I've learned (through the scoldings, heh) that even tiny spoilers can piss people off.  I don't get it & I don't think I ever will, but I've learned to respect it.  Sort of.  

Also, I was one of the people who was not spoiled about Aeris dying.  I kind of wish I was... I was ten years old at the time & didn't have the internet yet.  I was shocked and upset about it for weeks... Aeris was my favourite!  :sob:  

Haha So you are like I am with spoilers. And for me either I am up on youtube to see something or browsing heavy through a wiki to read up on characters or events. And a lot of the time it helps me stay interested in or even get into a series.

My 2 friends I mentioned in my original post here are like that they absolutely hate spoilers, And it`s very difficult for me to hold them in especially when discussing a character and I wanna give them just small details. But that usually don`t work out And I`ve been scolded a few times to on it. But atleast I try and be as vague as possible when it comes to spoilers I try and be careful all the time to leave out whole stories or explaining too much stuff. Also about the book page skipping thing I have a tendency to do that a lot with manga heck when I 1st see a manga on the shelf I flick through the pages to cehck out the pictures inside and if I like what I see or they look interesting that increases my chances of giving a try.

On 10/1/2017 at 5:39 PM, sirmola said:

Generally, I find that plot info falls into several catagories. Generally, I am fine with minor stuff (such as character personalities), obvious/easily guessable stuff stuff (being able to play as luigi in a mario game) or anything that gets revealed a short time in, (the tone of madoka magica is pretty obvious pretty early, even though that series tried to hide that fact in the advertising, and even the opening credits of the first few episodes).

That being said, Non-obvious key spoilers are NOT okay for me even if the media is old. There is simply far to much media out there for me to have even found all of the stuff I want to watch. If might be old for you, but it is new for me. It's okay if they are discussing the movie (because it can be assumed that people who want to avoid spoilers for old stuff will avoid in depth discussions), but I don't bring it up in casual conversation about other things. I have had people get annoyed at me for bringing up that vader was luke's father as a joke during an unrelated converastion. They had simply never watched "the empire strikes back".

Madoka Magica? Hmm I have heard that one somewhere before sounds familiar but I don`t believe I have seen it. I dunno why I thinking of Medaka Box (that is another one I haven`t seen yet but I got exposed via J-Stars Victory and some wikia visits.) Hmm what would be key spoilers for you personally tho? For me key spoilers fall under as I mentioned having the entire plot just flat out told to me. But everything else is fair game because I am still clueless as to what the heck happens. And even then it`s different being told and actually experiencing it so it still has that impact on me when i see it even after being spoiled.

On 10/2/2017 at 0:30 AM, Sophie said:

It depends on the medium, honestly.
If it's a very story heavy game or a detective type game like Ace Attorney or Danganronpa then yea, I care a lot, but normally i don't mind too much unless it's something I'm really into and want to experience fresh.

Hi Sophie! :) 

Ah I see so usually for you just the story heavy stuff? Hmm So most RPG games would also fall under that umbrella for you personally then right? Ah I`ve also seen a bit of Ace Attorney on youtube! I saw a really cool case in what I think was one of the GBA releases?? It got intense so after seeing that I am willing to give them a go at some point. because at first I dismissed the series as something not interesting at all. Danganronpa never heard of that tho at all.

9 hours ago, Naglfar94 said:

Ah I see named characters? Personally I don`t mind :P Sometimes finding out even propels me to get into a series or continue with one. I sometimes tend to find out bout a series read about some of the characters on the gold ol` wikia and take a liking to a certain character just from reading about them, So if I find out they die at some point I am like oh shoot maybe I should check this out to see how it happens. It`s like my example I gave with One Piece I originally had no intent on ever picking it up as I originally hated it (saw a handful of episodes and chapters.) And was like ehhh nope. But then I found out later through spoiling myself that Ace dies and all these awesome cool characters show up later (I am a big fan of the admiral trio.) I changed my opinion after that and now welp I try to follow the series now.

I stopped following One Piece.  Guess who my favorite character was?

13 hours ago, eclipse said:

I stopped following One Piece.  Guess who my favorite character was?

Hmm Ah this is gonna be a hard one uuh...Hmm Sanji? Zoro?...Kizaru? Aokiji? or even Whitebeard maybe? Close? Tony Tony Chopper the cute deer? Nami? Nico Robin? did I land it right in any of those?

22 hours ago, kaiban said:

Was it Ace? For me it was Ace...I miss Ace...

11 hours ago, Naglfar94 said:

Hmm Ah this is gonna be a hard one uuh...Hmm Sanji? Zoro?...Kizaru? Aokiji? or even Whitebeard maybe? Close? Tony Tony Chopper the cute deer? Nami? Nico Robin? did I land it right in any of those?

It was obviously those guys used as the cooking competition judges way back when the series first started out.  Or the conveniently bouncing ball that kept the worst of Frankie out of sight. :P:

I'm surprised I remembered as much as I did.  Haven't seen that series in a long time, nor do I plan on restarting.  No reason for me to. . .

On 10/1/2017 at 0:09 AM, Naglfar94 said:

I actually actively seek them especially

Same with me. When Star Wars VII came out, I read the spoilers right before I went to the theater.

Damn spoiler did not tell me about Han Solo dying though!