Buffing the Weird Secondary/Tertiary Characters

Candidates for Base Class Change?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Good candidates to be changed into Soldiers? — [Soldiers can reach Level 30, will use FE9 Halberdier caps and class growths, and will be part of a reclass set including themselves, Thieves, and Ballisticians]

2. 2. Good character to be changed into a Dark Mage? — [I'll admit I chose these options largely due to aesthetics]

So, I've been thinking, since I'm getting better at hacking FE11, I wanted to put a post here asking about how one might go about buffing the awkward secondary and tertiary characters in abundant classes or gameplay roles, or characters who otherwise just kind of suck. For a full list of the characters I'm talking about…

• Matthis
  • Roshea
  • Vyland
  • Bord
  • Cord
  • Darros
  • Castor
  • Dolph
  • Macellan
  • Gordin
  • Tomas
  • Wrys
  • Maria
  • Caesar
  • Radd
  • Rickard
  • Jake
  • Beck

Basically, anybody who you don't really have much reason to use since everyone else of that class you get is just kind of better. If anybody has any additions to this list they'd like to make, I'd be open to adding to it!

The idea, I'm thinking, is to buff each of these characters, but do so in a way that also allows each of them to keep their own distinct identity as a unit. Base stats, growth rates, and base weapon ranks are all on the table as things to consider.

I'm also looking to vary up Cain, Abel, and Frey from each other more than just Cain's difference in starting weapon ranks, because their bases and growth rates are… really samey.

For some ideas I personally have had…

• I was thinking of gearing Roshea to be a character who's still slow, but whose attacks reliably hit and hit hard, while Vyland would've been taken in more of a "Myrmidon-on-a-horse" sort of direction.
  • For Gordin, Norne, and Tomas, I was thinking of having them be geared towards durability, speed, and power-hitting, respectively.
  • I also had the idea of Matthis being a weird, Magic- and Resistance-focused Cavalier based on his blood relation to Lena, since his growth rates are really bland otherwise.
  • For Jake and Beck, I was thinking something along the lines of one being accuracy-focused and the other being focused on raw power.

…etc. etc.

Now, I've played Shadow Dragon a decent amount, but I'm sure there are people who are a lot more intimately-familiar with it than I, so I'm hoping for some additional insight into ways in which these weaker, lesser-used characters could be buffed without making them overpowered and while still retaining some variety and uniqueness between them.

EDIT: Worth noting, I'm not talking about just efficient/LTC-style play here! I do want to retain diversity between characters along the axis of how focused they are on growth versus bases, so, for example, a character like Radd should probably stay relatively growth-focused, coming underleveled for his join time but having an unusually-high probability of becoming very strong when trained.

Edited by Topaz Light

Give Maria some actual use, in the original SD there was absolutely no reason to use Maria over Lena. One of the things I came up with was this; in the original Maria starts off with higher HP and DEF than Lena, plus she comes from a family of Dracoknights, so you could make Maria a tanky cleric, as Lena's defences are just gross. Personally I would buff her DEF base to 8~11, her HP base to 22~26 and her RES base to 10~12 and of course boost her growths on the stats as well, and maybe debuff her luck growth a bit to compensate. Her awfull Staff rank is also a problem, C rank would be way better. Another option could be making a staff exclusive to her (Aum does not really count).

Couldn't come up with anything else for now.

5 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Why are you giving them FE9 Halberdier caps? Everyone caps their non-HP stats at 20 in SD (just like in the original game).

No they don't. Not promoted classes.