What I'm missing the most about older games

Tamanoir

So with Gold and Silver comming, I made a trip down the memory lane.

Up until gen 4, all the cartridges where colored. It wasn't the first time we had colored cartridges (I have a yellow GB onkey Kong cratridges), but it wasn't really common either.

It helped the game stands out around the crow, it made them feels specials. RBY was already cool (even TCG was colored Black? And the Pinball Cartridge was amazing as well, with the vibrating effect that made it far bigger.), but Gold, Silver, and especially Crystal (thos dazzling, shining colours !) were really great looking. RSE where also very cool.

Then Gen 4 arrived, and the cartridge became smaller. They still looked different (black instead of grey), but it wasn't the same thing.

And now, starting with Gen 6, they don't have anything special at all anymore.

This have nothing to do with the games quality, obviously (this could actually be quite the opposite, sinne Gen 4 and 5 gave us some of the best Pokémon games, and Gen 6 and 7 are quite cool as well.), and we now have things like cool Steelbooks or Consoles for the collectionners, which could be considered better deals. (the HGSS Podometer was also amazng).

But this was part of what made Pokémon unique, so I was a little sad to see it disappear.

I kind of hope Nintendo starts making colored cartridges for the Switch, but the reason they stopped doing it was because DS cartridges were small and had reusable plastic cases.

All of their older cartridges were colored so that you could identify them, and easily recognize loose games. It probably wasn't worth the extra cost to make unique colored cartridges for DS onward.

Yeah, the colored cartridges were kind of nice.

I remember Zelda: MM was gold. Battle Tanx for N64 was green. I got bored of that game quickly though. And of course there were the Pokemon games too. I can understand why they don't do that anymore though.

Nintendo did continue to color not just N64 carts but game cases to help them stand out. New Super Mario Bros. for Wii was a red case that stood out from the standard white. That was interesting in that generation since Xboc 360 was green and PS3 was red. They sort of called back to that red with the case for New Super Mario Bros. U. Instead of the Wii U standard of blue with white cover art, it was red with white cover art. 

As for pokemon, I certainly did appreciate the colored cartridges. When I would look into my GBA case (I didn't own a GBA at this time), my game boy carts were messily thrown together once I ran out of space. Pokemon was my most played game boy games so I never had trouble picking out Gold and Yellow from the other black and gray carts.