I’ve gotta say, Olivia is Chrom’s best wife for the story

IEatLasers

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sure~ 

Chrom is basically socially awkward, somewhat shy, genuinely good kind of guy who is very insecure about his origins and has a bloodlust 

Olivia is also shy and awkward (but just like Chrom she stops being awkward when I’m her element. Dancing vs being a prince) 

Chrom meets her as a result of Basillo, allies he fought hard to maintain.  Shortly after meeting her, Gangrel tells him that he will live and die alone. 

Shortly after that he marries her. 

Both of them shed a lot of their shyness in their supports. And after Chrom is married he is a much better ruler in the scenes (and in his supports with Olivia he mentions that befriending her will make him a better ruler)

also; his bloodlust calms down and doesn’t really come into play again. 

The last time he really had it was the chapter before meeting Olivia/killing Gangrel that same chapter (but at that point he also had no choice but to kill Gangrel) 

Inigo also looks like Chrom and when Inigo’s dad dies Inigo takes on the role of being the invincible man his father was. (And in a Lucina sibling supports they mention how people see Chrom as invincible in their timeline) and Inigo’s dad compares Inigo to Lucina (and Inigo is the only child with a brand except Inigo and Owain) 

Lucina and Inigo sibling supports fit very very naturally. 

Chroms desires to leave Olivia behind after the timeskip (at the castle) make even more sense when she’s actually frail and somewhat defenseless.

the concept of Chrom marrying shortly after becoming exalt matches with him marrying shortly after meeting Olivia too but that’s kinda moot. 

I can kind of see what you're saying, but I feel that Chrom and Olivia aren't that similar (you wanna talk the real good birds of a feather ship for Olivia then put her with Lon'qu).  And the bit about them shedding their shyness in their supports is true... except that if they marry their supports never happen.

I dunno.  It's kind of hard to say that making Olivia Chrom's wife contributes most to the story when she disappears from the story immediately after she's introduced.

Actually they do happen, during the timeskip. 

Its weird that Chrom can S rank anyone before the timeskip because he proposes there but he is meant to propose during the time skip. 

And Lon’Qu fearing being near/getting close to women is much different than just being awkward or shy!

As far as I remember, Chrom doesn't have any bloodlust in him outside of wanting to kill Gangrel. I don't blame him for that. 

Also because you don't have the time to build up the support rank up to S with Olivia like you can any of his other marriage options, it makes it feel weird because these supports happen all at once in between 2 chapters. We don't see the support progress from C-S that happens for every other support in the game. 

Chrom’s first response to everything as a child is violence 

that doesn’t change until the chapter 11 timeskip 

(Also I read somewhere that Chrom’s violent nature as a kid, Emmeryn’s desire for peace, and Lissa’s Refusal to be seen as fragile/affinity for being mischievous are three common signs to abuse. It’s maybe done on purpose) anyway point is a lot of things change over those few years. Chrom really grows up as his supports with Olivia imply he would (again they can all be viewed they just happen over timeskip so you dont see hem as they happen)

Edited by IEatLasers

As a child his response to everything might have been violent, but he's not a child when the game starts. He's an adult and there is proof he's matured past that at the star

He wants to do good. Chrom desires peace just like Emmeryn. He helps out the people with the Shepherds. If Chrom had bloodlust, he wouldn't desire pease and helping people out. He would want to kill and slaughter. 

He forgives past enemies, minus Gangrel for a good reason. He might be reckless, but not filled with bloodlust.

Honestly, I fail to see it when she drops out of the story right after being introduced, as well as for reasons mentioned earlier (and frankly, I'd say Lon'qu is more similar to Olivia than Chrom). Also, I don't think that Lucina's supports with Inigo fit that naturally... (And there's the matter where Fates sinks that ship anyway)

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

The thing I found funny about Chrom and Olivia is this video from Shadow:

You gotta admit it's pretty accurate

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Honestly, I fail to see it when she drops out of the story right after being introduced, as well as for reasons mentioned earlier (and frankly, I'd say Lon'qu is more similar to Olivia than Chrom). Also, I don't think that Lucina's supports with Inigo fit that naturally... (And there's the matter where Fates sinks that ship anyway)

Actually they don’t. Inigo sees a woman with excellent sword skills and flirts then realizes it’s Lucina and panicks. Inigo invited Lucina Amiibo for tea after panicking realizing he flirted with her. 

He also gets tea tea with Soliel so we know going on dates isn’t always romantic to him. 

Lol Nym, kiiiiinda but there was a timeskip and if they were fast friends anyway then a bit into the timeskip is understandable. Plus that’s more fitting than anyone else because Chrom proposes during the timeskip in the canon, not before 

Edited by IEatLasers

38 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Actually they don’t. Inigo sees a woman with excellent sword skills and flirts then realizes it’s Lucina and panicks. Inigo invited Lucina Amiibo for tea after panicking realizing he flirted with her. 

He also gets tea tea with Soliel so we know going on dates isn’t always romantic to him. 

Lol Nym, kiiiiinda but there was a timeskip and if they were fast friends anyway then a bit into the timeskip is understandable. Plus that’s more fitting than anyone else because Chrom proposes during the timeskip in the canon, not before 

Yeah, well, here's the problem - the Hidden Truths DLC, which explains how Odin, Laslow, and Selena came to the world of Fates in the first place, makes no mention of the Brand whatsoever. This puts any chance of Olivia being Chrom's canon wife in severe jeopardy, if not outright killing it.

Not really. 

Odin talks to Lazward specifically about the brand. Why talk to him bout it and not Selena? Probably because he could relate (rather because IS tried hard to make Inigo status ambiguous) 

but the brand is a bigger deal to Owain than Inigo so it’s easy to tell why Odin is he one who talks about it and why Lazward is the one to comfort him about it. 

8 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

Shortly after meeting her, Gangrel tells him that he will live and die alone. 

Shortly after that he marries her.

This is exactly why I consider Olivia to be the worst candidate for Chrom's wife.

Just now, NinjaMonkey said:

This is exactly why I consider Olivia to be the worst candidate for Chrom's wife.

Hmm? How so? 

Gangrel says that -> C support plays 

Chrom becomes dedicated to make Olivia laugh -> B support plays 

Chrom is the one why now, but they spend more time together -> A support 

Public calls on Chrom to pick a bride, Olivia sees Chrom’s ring as a huge gesture in the S support 

I would even argue that Olivia’s supports are purposely written to most closely mirror a real relationship, because unlike the other girls Chrom and Olivia will probably only get supports if you’re marrying them. But of Chrom’s supports they definitely mirror a relationship the most; and they start off as Chrom just talking to a cute girl to try to be a better prince for all the lands, and he likely sees her more as a friend at that point, but she’s the one who proves Gangrel was wrong. 

(Well and Robin and Lissa)

She literally arrives on the last map before the timeskip, and Chrom's like "Let's get married and have children". I've heard of "love at first sight", but this is absolutely ridiculous! Also, you can't view the B, A or S supports until you beat the game.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Their supports happen during the timeskip and you can view them postgame (sad but that’s why Fates added in the supports log mid game) 

It’s not like he sees her and married her. 

He fought beside her once, kept hanging out and talking because 

he likes her and because talking to her will help him be a charming and confident prince, then when they get close and his people are eager for him to marry, he picks her...as opposed to re-proposing to another girl...story actually says he proposes to her during the timeskip but he can propose to the others during the game   

Olivia is the only person who seems fragile out of Chrom’s love interests except maybe Maribelle, but she’s been fighting beside Chrom forever. So whe Chrom tries to mane his bride stop fighting (it makes sense because that’s his wife and a mom, but if you know Sully you should know not to say that and Sumia’s whole job is to be a great fighter and protect him) 

olivia is a cute and feminine dancer type who fought in one battle. Chrom doesn’t want her fighting more than that but she doesn’t want to leave Chrom. 

1 hour ago, IEatLasers said:

Not really. 

Odin talks to Lazward specifically about the brand. Why talk to him bout it and not Selena? Probably because he could relate (rather because IS tried hard to make Inigo status ambiguous) 

but the brand is a bigger deal to Owain than Inigo so it’s easy to tell why Odin is he one who talks about it and why Lazward is the one to comfort him about it. 

Owain mentions he lost his Brand, yes. However, other DLC and amiibo conversations show that Inigo/Laslow doesn't recognize Chrom, Frederick or Robin as his father, nor does he recognize Lucina as his sister.

Not at all. 

He is very very embarrassed about calling Chrom “Chrom” and doesn’t want to do it. 

Then he is incredibly happy when Chrom sees him dance and says it’s good. And Inigo says to tell Olivia that basically. 

Then he meets Lucina amiibo and flirts like crazy. Then he gets up close and meets her and panicks noticing he flirted with Lucina and she laughs and says “Classic Inigo, hey lets go get tea!” 

Mother person he gets tea with is his daughter so it’s not always a romantic thing for him, and it implies Inigo and Lucina have been going on those sorts of dates a lot. 

10 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Their supports happen during the timeskip and you can view them postgame (sad but that’s why Fates added in the supports log mid game) 

It’s not like he sees her and married her. 

He fought beside her once, kept hanging out and talking because 

he likes her and because talking to her will help him be a charming and confident prince, then when they get close and his people are eager for him to marry, he picks her...as opposed to re-proposing to another girl...story actually says he proposes to her during the timeskip but he can propose to the others during the game   

Olivia is the only person who seems fragile out of Chrom’s love interests except maybe Maribelle, but she’s been fighting beside Chrom forever. So whe Chrom tries to mane his bride stop fighting (it makes sense because that’s his wife and a mom, but if you know Sully you should know not to say that and Sumia’s whole job is to be a great fighter and protect him) 

olivia is a cute and feminine dancer type who fought in one battle. Chrom doesn’t want her fighting more than that but she doesn’t want to leave Chrom. 

You can try to justify it all you want, but it doesn't change my opinion on the matter, and I'll continue to marry Olivia to Virion regardless of this (since I don't like either of them).

I’m not justifying it much I’m just using what’s right there slightly beneath the surface of the story~ 

Not trying to change your mind either just defending my own opinions 

Edited by IEatLasers

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Frankly, I agree - love at first sight is one thing, but this is something else - strangulation by the red string (which is also why I honestly consider Chrom/Olivia uninteresting compared to other pairings).

1 hour ago, IEatLasers said:

I’m not justifying it much I’m just using what’s right there slightly beneath the surface of the story~ 

You mean the stuff that apparently you and only you can see? Because a lot of this sounds like it's a huge stretch at best.

Uhh no, because I only made some of these arguments myself. Lots of it is coming from around and no, it’s really not a stretch. Mostly I’m talking about the supports which you can view in the extras menu, and the timeskip 

you guys are acting like me meets and then marries but there is 2 whole years of time they skipped. 

3 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Uhh no, because I only made some of these arguments myself. Lots of it is coming from around and no, it’s really not a stretch. Mostly I’m talking about the supports which you can view in the extras menu, and the timeskip 

you guys are acting like me meets and then marries but there is 2 whole years of time they skipped. 

I get that it is two years in the story, but there is no build up for Olivia because her supports with Chrom are not building as you are playing. So it feels rushed compared to everyone else who we've had the time to see the supports and build up to romance. 

45 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Which the supports don't magically play out during, because they rush straight to marriage (this sticks out like a sore thumb when literally every other pairing actually lets you see the supports and build up to romance; outside of the support log, the only way you can see Chrom's supports with Olivia is by *le gaspe* NOT marrying her!). Also, I'm calling it a stretch precisely BECAUSE you made your arguments up.