Too many pinned topics.

Raven

Are they all really necessary? I think 10 pinned topics is a bit too much. Just something that's been bugging me for too long.

I don't have much in the way of suggestions to cut down on the number of pinned topics, aside from a pinned "important topics" topic which has links to said important topics within.

Reducing the number of pinned topics would let other newer topics stay on the first page for a while longer.

Hmm... honestly this never really bothered me.
I think most pinned threads in the FE sections deserved to be pinned like FAQs, guides and enemy stats.
However I'd suggest to move the patches in a separate subforum patches because seeing like a half dozen of FE4 patches on top of the section makes the overview a bit harder.

Oh wait... we're talking only about the Heroes section!?
As I see there are two FAQ threads in Heroes which could be merged in one all the way.
I don't think this and this are really worthy to get pinned either.

Edited by Byakuren Hijiri

In my opinion the following Topic should be sticky:
- Fire Emblem Heroes News (Data mining, New Banners, New Units)
- Quick Question Topic (ask anything related from Skill Inheritance to Team composition etc. that has to do with Fire Emblem Heroes)
- An updated FAQ/Guide Topic
- Maybe the Skill Inheritance topic thats frequently updated

Thats it the Rest should go unpinned

I decided to write my opinions on each stickied topic:

2e8ef09edd.jpg

Just to expand: I think if there were to be a stickied topic which links to other less important threads, the friends list should also be unpinned and simply linked to, amongst other topics already mentioned above.

Edited by Raven

With so much ground to cover, I do think there should be one pinned topic that has a bunch of semi-important links inside.

Anyway, I'll try and do some cleaning up later. Feel free to continue suggesting ideas ^^

Edited by VincentASM

I agree. I think the pinned threads with less than 100 pages should probably be unpinned linked to by a new pinned thread. I am a little iffy on unpinning the skill inheritance thread, but it seems to be mostly just questions and answers lately and the questions thread already fulfills that role.

48 minutes ago, Raven said:

I decided to write my opinions on each stickied topic:

2e8ef09edd.jpg

Just to expand: I think if there were to be a stickied topic which links to other less important threads, the friends list should also be unpinned and simply linked to, amongst other topics already mentioned above.

@VincentASM

The ones I think should be merged or removed

Merge FAQ and Ask a Question, MrSmokestack and Ice Dragon's threads may also be merged/linked to the Question Thread, but they are a bit more specific.  I think they are nice to have as stand alone threads, or maybe even be added to the main site.

Remove Monthly Quest and Error 803-3001 could be unpinned, perhaps add a link in the General Discussion thread

I would be against merging the General Discussion and Question Threads, since it's good to keep the questions separate from the shitposting engaging conversation that goes on in General, and the questions might get buried otherwise.

Instead of making a thread that is just pins to other threads.  I think the links to other threads should be in the first page of the General Discussion thread.

On @Raven's idea I don't think merging Questions and General together is a good idea

People don't go to general to answer questions. Plus, if General is hot like it always is, questions will get buried

Other than that... I think I'll just say in short what I think should stay/go:

General: Stay (obviously)

Pull Topic: Stay 

FAQ: Merged into regular questions like @Raven suggested. Perhaps adding these frequently asked questions into the OP?

Error 803: Should stay imo. Some people still get that problem so I think getting rid of it would be a bad idea heh

Friends: Stay (directory thread)

Quests: go

Ice Dragon's thingamabob: Stay

Scams: Stay

Skills: Stay (directory thread)

Questions thread: stay

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

We don't really need it stickied.

“We” as in “those who can’t be bothered to do math and prefer to claim the game cheats”?

Mechanics things are to be accessible, I think. GenDisc, on the other hand, is hot enough to never drop off even if not stickied. Ask and GenDisc are to stay separate anyway.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

“those who can’t be bothered to do math and prefer to claim the game cheats”?

This.... was unnecessary

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I pretty much agree with Arcanite except I think Ice Dragon's topic should go or be put in a directory. We don't really need it stickied.

The only reason why I said that was because people may find it helpful for calculations and other things, including skill interaction (I believe he made a post there about breakers and wary fighter once)

It makes no difference to me, but that was just the reason why I suggested that it stay

15 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

This.... was unnecessary

The only reason why I said that was because people may find it helpful for calculations and other things, including skill interaction (I believe he made a post there about breakers and wary fighter once)

It makes no difference to me, but that was just the reason why I suggested that it stay

Well yeah, I never said to get rid of it entirely. Sheesh. Of course it's helpful for calculations and stuff, I only said to unsticky it or put it in a directory. Not just delete it.

Stay:

• General discussion.
  • Ask questions. If we merge this with FAQ, we should put those into the OP. Randoman hasn't been active since January, so we could also make a new topic if necessary.
  • Inheritance.
  • 803-3001.
  • Friends list.
  • Scams and datamining.

I don't care either way:

• Pulls. This will end up on the first page regardless of if it's stickied, so unstickying it wouldn't really do anything.
  • Quests. This could end up dropping from the first page on its own, so there is value in leaving it stickied.
  • Research. Until I add the information to the main site. Once that happens, unsticky for sure.

Drop:

• FAQ. This can be merged into the ask questions thread.

I think Pulls should stay stickied, since being a pinned topic gives it more of an official status, so people won't not see it, and it will keep people from making redundant topics.

53 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I think Pulls should stay stickied, since being a pinned topic gives it more of an official status, so people won't not see it, and it will keep people from making redundant topics.

I agree with this, Pull Topic should stay official. Even though I can't imagine it falling off the front page, being unpinned will dramatically increase the odds of another "check out this pull, wow!" thread.

Everything that's currently pinned is definitely worthy at least of being in an "Important Topics Directory". You can also take the opportunity there to link GHB threads that may need to come up again for re-runs. FE Heroes Artists and Voice Actors threads as well, since those get updated often enough yet also fall off the front page. Also make sure the Sprite Request Thread is on the Directory.

For my opinions...

Pinned
- General Discussion (Random talk goes on in there, and the thread goes by rather quickly.)
- Official Pull Topic (Makes it more official and deters "What I Pulled" topics)
- FEH Q&A Thread (Makes it more official and deters "I Have a Question" topics)
- Scams, Hacks, Datamining (Essentially rules for this subforum, so I suppose it is important enough to stay pinned.)

Merge
- Error 803-3001 (Add a link to the FAQ section, put it at the very top.)
- FAQ (Merge with the Q&A Thread, making it the first post.)

Unknown
- Skill Inheritance (Basically Skill Theorycrafting, but I am unsure if it should stay pinned. At the very least it could have a link from whatever megathread.)
- Ice Dragon's Research (Lots of useful information and calculations, but most? of this can now be found on FEH resource sites. While useful info, I'm not sure if anyone actively looks through the research.)

Drop
- Monthly Quest Topic (I honestly find it useless and there does not seem to be much talk in there [or I haven't been paying attention.] Talk here can probably be moved to General Discussion of its own accord.)

I also agree with Glennstavos for adding links to some of the unpinned topics, such as the Artists, Voice Actors, and Map Matchup threads. Updating the "megathread" with the GHB topics that pop up could also be useful.

4 hours ago, Rezzy said:

pulls will stay stickied for the same reason we still have birthday threads in the awankening/fartes forums - you never really realize how many turds make tons of threads about them until the mods don't have a place to dump the threads

or at least that's how it was in awakening days

The ones that I want to see up there, no matter what are:

- Scams, etc.: This is behavior that will get people into hot water.  Such info needs to be front and center.
- General Discussion: Super-active, and acts as a catch-all for a lot of things.
- Pulls: It's a huge problem in other places which don't have a centralized topic (or otherwise don't do a good job of advertising it as such).  Luckily, people have been pretty good about posting their pulls there.
- Phone errors: Another source of grief.  Since new updates cause errors (and who knows when those updates arrive), I'd like to keep this pinned.
- Inheritance: Maybe merge them?
- "Ask a FE Heroes Question" - I still have to close topics from people who don't know WTF that thread is for.  If someone else wants to take over the thread, go for it.  I will warn you that you'll need to deal with that stupid captcha if there's links in the first post.

Tee-hee~!

I'm doing this between other things.  It'll take a bit.  Please be patient.  Thank you all for your understanding.  The world isn't going to end (yet).

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Tee-hee~!

I'm doing this between other things.  It'll take a bit.  Please be patient.  Thank you all for your understanding.  The world isn't going to end (yet).

No worries, just curious. :P