Hated Video Game Bosses/Characters

DolphinDingus

No, I'm not asking about bosses that were so difficult that you hated playing against them. I'm talking about bosses that, while playing a game, you developed an irrational, burning hatred for what is, in the end, simply a bunch of pixels. Your reasons may vary: the boss might just be an asshole, and you hate them for that, maybe you yearned for nothing more than wiping that smug look off of their face, or maybe you simply despised them for no reason.

If you want, you can also mention characters that weren't necessarily bosses, but I am mostly focusing on bosses, and I assume other people will too, because (in my opinion) its easier to hate a character that you actually have to fight, and who is challenging.

Examples (spoilers for The Last of Us and FFX):

Spoiler

My biggest example would be David, from The Last of Us. That man... everything he does, the way he always keeps his voice entirely calm, like nothing matters... when I finally defeated him, I couldn't help but shout "Yes! F*** you, stab the sh** out of him Ellie, finally!" He was definitely the target for the most hatred I've ever had at a video game character, and the most joy I've had at a character's death.

Other than him, I also despised Seymour in Final Fantasy X, mostly just because he simply refuses to die. I couldn't agree more with Tidus: "And stay dead!"

Edited by DolphinDingus

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it was really burning hatred, but:

(spoilers for Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)

Spoiler

Ghirahim constantly had a smug look on his face, he was an asshole, and he simply refused to die. I think Link would be more pissed off than I, the player was, but I still felt some rage at the end of the game when this dickhead grabbed Zelda to attempt to sacrifice her to his master and threw the ginormous bokoblin horde at Link, and I do mean ginormous, there were like a thousand of them. Even after Ghirahim finally gave up, there was still his master, Demise, to deal with. After justice prevailed, I wanted to see Link and Zelda kiss...and then the loftwings would have to pry them off of each other lol and it'd be too sexy for a T rated game.

From Xenoblade Chronicles;

FUCK DISCIPLE LORITHIA!!!

"you will pay for your insolence!!!"

OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

Mem Aleph the final bosses for the chaos and neutral route of Shin Megami Tensei strange journey.  Being the the Mother of all demons that can nuke your entire team, cancel buffs and defuffs, and has a  move called Disaster Cycle that nearly kills everyone. And that is just the first stage, in the second stage  she get the move MA which instantly kills a party member and absorbs their HP without fail.  Pray it doesn't happen to the protagonist of you have to restart the fight over again from the beginning.

It has so hard that I had to resolve to cheating to beat the game. I'm scared to play the remake because I don't want to fight this boss again.

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!

But thats what makes her so good. Her "You will pay for your insolence",  Xords "FEELS LIKE A FLY JUST BIT ME"  and Tyria screaming after every hit are comedy gold.

Anyway I start hating a boss when the game tries to make them come across as Sympathetic or well intentioned, but when I don't end up feeling the same way about them. To me characters like the Black Knight or

Spoiler

Van

from Tales of the Abyss are completely irredeemable scumbags and the game treating them in a somwhat positive light is something that ends up annoying me.

Edited by Sasori

4 hours ago, DolphinDingus said:

Examples (spoilers for The Last of Us and FFX):

Reveal hidden contents

My biggest example would be David, from The Last of Us. That man... everything he does, the way he always keeps his voice entirely calm, like nothing matters... when I finally defeated him, I couldn't help but shout "Yes! F*** you, stab the sh** out of him Ellie, finally!" He was definitely the target for the most hatred I've ever had at a video game character, and the most joy I've had at a character's death.

Other than him, I also despised Seymour in Final Fantasy X, mostly just because he simply refuses to die. I couldn't agree more with Tidus: "And stay dead!"

(technically spoiler for FFX, I guess)

Spoiler

I hated Seymour for how friggin obvious a villain he was. Design, theme music, smug voice... Heck, Tidus even narrates how he never had liked Seymour. I really hoped that he would turn out to be a sleazebag, but ultimately a necessary ally, or something like that. Just not such an obvious villain. :/

Ishida Mitsunari from Samurai Warriors is a character I have very negative feelings about thanks to two reasons that end up strengthening each other. 

I feel Mitsunari embodies the worst aspects of a tsundere. Some tsunderes are jerks 90% of the time for no reason but are expected to get a free pass because they have some select moments they act like decent human beings towards very select people. Mitsunari falls into this category. 

The second trait I find so off putting is self righteousness and because Mitsunari is such a jerk its really grating to hear him keep saying how he fights for justice and how virtuous and honorable he is. His opponent is even one of the nicer and more benevolent cast members which makes those rants even worse. 

Also the Reapers from mass effect. They start great but they end up falling from grace in a manner so bad it pretty much strangles the story of tree whole games. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Canary Mary- Banjo Tooie- Strictly speaking, Canary Mary isn't one of the bosses in Banjo Tooie, but she's associated with 4 A mashing minigames. The first 3 of these are completely free to anyone with Mario party experience and are a so-so change of pace. The 4th one though>< It is probably the be-all end-all of A mashing challenges. I remember that I left that one cheato page, collected everything else in the game, and came back years later. But it wasn't possible- I can mash an average of 111-118 times in 10 seconds (from my mario party records and getting the silver racket in Tennis GBC) but this doesn't help. Also the minigame lasts for about 70 seconds so it's literally beyond human endurance. I finally beat it by taking finger breaks by pausing. Skin and blood were lost.

Rogue Sqadron- Moff Seerdon- it was probbably improbably bad luck, but for some reason I remember the fight against the imperial shuttle being really difficult. (In reality you just hit him with like 2 advanced proton torpedoes and he's a huge target even if you don't have homing for some reason). I think that his appearance is the only time that Rogue Squadron actually plays the "Imperial March", Moff Seerdon taunts you in the cutscenes of the last 4 levels, and finally, he is the only enemy in the game to use Blue lasers instead of green or red.(pretty sure they have a different sound effect too)

Bombastic- The Cat Attack- Most of the bosses in this game are pretty trivial, but the third one is actually pretty hectic.- You start surrounded on all sides by minor enemies, the boss endlessly spawns more of them while running laps around the edge of the stage, and because of how the explosions work, you can only actually hurt it with the long explosions (5 and 6) since it never comes into the arena. Like all the other bosses, you have to do it in just 1 of your 5 lives in other to get the Perfect on the score card. 

MDK2- The first BFB fight (stage 3) - The electric jumprope boss- He wouldn't be as annoying if it weren't for a really dumb hitbox on his attack- you can ONLY get past it undamaged by doing neutral jumps (IE straight up without using the stick), trying to jump toward/across it will lower your height (or something) and despite being the instinctive solution to his attacks, just gets you killed. His homing attacks and bombs are pretty annoying too, and he's even a small, airborne target. 

MDK2- Little sparky (stage 2) - This boss is basically a spinning reactor core thing, but instead of being a joke (like Bolse in Starfox 64), it fires solid beams that take up 1/3 of the room, and as you damage it steps things up. And on top of everything you have to refuel your jetpack mid-fight. The jetpacks controls are REALLY "heavy" for boss-fighting purposes and considering it's mostly an evasion challenge makes it surprsingly difficult for how early it is..

Last Resort- (stage 6) One week I decided that I would 1CC the "best shoot-em-up on the neogeo" It's uh, not a very pleasant game to try to 1CC on high settings due to enemy bullet speed increasing to pretty intense levels and asteroid belts. It also follows the gradius design philosophy of stripping your powerups ups upon death, so even with checkpoints, trying to actually use the 2 extra lives is usually harder than just starting the whole thing over again and trying to hold onto full power.  I really like that the boss's have low health in this game since it means that even with some pretty nasty patterns, you don't need too much endurance to get through. However the final boss is one I still don't understand to this day- He's a mouth-thing on the far right of the screen that shoots a projectile forward which then splits into 5 others in a star pattern- but he's made difficult by having 4 respawning turrets on both the floor and ceiling. While you have an option pod that can take an infinite number of hits orbiting you, it's not really feasible to actually adjust it when you are being shott at from above and below simultaneously. I usually fight this thing with short up and down taps to manipulate the shot pattern instead of actively trying to dodge them. Very dumb fight in that you pretty much have to get the enemy to shoot at you in the correct way rather than trying to dodge it or even moving too much.

Mischief Makers-Cerebus Alpha- In the last stage of Mt. Snow you fight the hardest boss of the entire game. Aesthetically it's a really cool fight, since you get to surf on a missle and everything, but it's insanely annoying to replay for several reasons, including the somewhat awkward way of damaging the boss, how close you have to get to him to trigger his backflips in the second phase, and it being somewhat awkward to grab missles while riding your own. getting the A rank and the Gold gem is fairly obnoxious on this stage. 

Mischief Makers- Migen Brawl- Migen Brawl is one of the easier bosses in MM, but the par time for A rank is WAY too low- simply catching the first possible fist every time is NOT enough to get through; you also pretty much have to do 2 hits while the father is alive (to avoid the long pattern punches) and on top of that you have to pretty much pray for short patterns. The worst thing is that he has the longest cutscene of any boss in the game.

Sin and Punishment- Spider Seeker (stage 3-1) - I think most of the bosses in this game are sheer awesome due to their well done setpieces, and they manage to look good and even feel good to play against (and many of them have difficulty on hard mode without giving up their coolness factor). However Spider Seeker is both the least intimidating looking boss and IMO, has the most annoying pattern of any boss in the game. The design of the Spider Seeker is just a giant spider, and the reason for fighting it... is the main charather wants to eat it- considering the military, dream sequence, and psychological bosses in this game, this is just a disapointment all around. The spider seeker is one of the longest bosses in the game, since you have to chase it for about half to the level and it has multiple forms, which can be described as big spider>medium spider>legless spider- Nevertheless, they all have wildly different attack patterns, and unlike most bosses can't really be fought very aggresively. 

Custom Robo Battle Revolution- Rahu 3-  Rahu 3 is the final boss of this game. The main problem with him is that he causes a narrative shift from lowbrow comedy to "super serious post apocalypse" which the game does not handle very gracefully. He's also unapolegtically broken: The story mode handles this by letting you fight him 3 on 1 and the arcade mode simply refuses to spawn him and favors the other illegal robots. While his guns  are powerful, his true strength lies in his bullshit HP- All robots in the game including him have a display of 1000 health, but he has an 82% damage reduction, meaning that his "effective health" is 5000. It's worth pointing out that the Metal Grapplers, which have the next most health- only have a 10% damage reduction (1100 effective health). If you play the game in multiplayer, he can quickly provide all the incentive you need to disable illegal parts in the option menu. I genearlly like letting my brother or niece play broken charathers to level the playing field, but Rahu is just too much. 

King's Quest 1 and especially2- The Dwarf- while he's a pretty minor character, he's honestly the most annoying of all the villians (at least when you are young and don't abuse save restore properly). In King's quest 1 he can even show up in the narrowest part of the game (hate taking the key instead of beanstalk for max score). In King's quest 2, he can kill you with his dumb trap, steal quest required items from you forcing you to go into his cave, and last but not least, he cuts the bridge near the end of the game, forcing you into a stupid pixel hunt for part of the bridge you are supposed to grab to save yourself.  also the VGA version gave him a suitably jerkish voice actor

Dynamo (Mega Man X). I appreciate his sportsmanship, but I don't like how he only exists to bug the Maverick Hunters (and thus, the player) from time to time with sudden boss battles when I wanted to be doing other things in-game. It doesn't help that his boss battle is extremely boring.

Any boss in EO2U on Expert, that I bested Scylla and Harpuia was pure luck, and I think I'm gonna have to grind for Juggernaut or turn down things from Expert. My team is admittedly a very much less than ideal Axelandy, War Magus, Beast, Survivalist, and Sovereign, but gosh things are rough! The final boss of EOU was also very nasty since I used a Ronin and a Troubadour without access to Medic skills, the boss's ability to dispel the buffs essential to my healing and randomly KO units was brutal. I decided to raise some backup units for Storm Emperor to just overcome its buff dispelling and make my ultimate superboss battle easier.

I once got stuck on the Imperial Trio in Baten Kaitos, I fell for the Red Flower save trap! The one time I cleared BKEWatLO, I did overgrind for levels and magnus and that made the fight too easy and short, as it did the rematch later (which is also very annoying if you don't overgrind since you have to repeat it twice in a row, albeit with a full heal between).

I also had to turn down the difficulty a lot on the battle with Malik's friend in Tales of Graces, that fight was really really bad.

Gangrel in TMS and Aimee Matchlock in Bravely Second are both cases of early-midbosses who are just too powerful and who you can't really work around with what options you have still being limited. The squid boss in DQ8 is yet another case of this. 

Any Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus who refuses to behave routinely and do the thing that lets me get into position to stab them! The randomness turned me off from doing the speed challenges for this game.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Ishida Mitsunari from Samurai Warriors is a character I have very negative feelings about thanks to two reasons that end up strengthening each other.

And yet Japan eats him up I've heard and ignores Ieyasu. Well maybe "ignores Ieyasu" is inappropriate since he did shape the next two and half centuries of Japanese history, but I know he polls pretty low in SW popularity.

8 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!

Honestly I kind of thought Tyrea's screams of pain would be rougher on the ears for most people. What's funny is that I kind of love it when bosses repeat the same quote over and over. It cracks me up.

There is an exception though.......

The fucking Raum-Kampfjet Mark 5 from Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

The boss arena is big, he flies all over the place and won't sit still. He flies far away, so it's hard to hit him with most of your weapns.. I have had several occasions where the fight will go on for about 30 minutes before killing me... The fight isn't *hard* just too damn long and exhausting...

All while shouting "Are you ready for a missile massacre!?" every time he does launches his mortar strikes. like I said earlier, normally i would find this funny, but not with this boss

Jinpachi Motherfucking Michima. Whoever's idea it was to give the final boss of a fighting game a nearly unavoidable 7 second stun and fire balls that do 2/3rds of your HP in one hit can fuck right off. It's not even that hard of a fight, but those two moves allow him to cheese his way to victory 90% of the time. The design is unforgivably bad and made me hate his existence.

Pretty much every character on the English side of Bladestorm: Hundred Years War. Pretty much all of them except Edward were complete dickheads.

Kamoshida from Persona 5. No comment needed.

I tend to dislike most of the friendly characters in Dark Souls. Not Solaire/10.

All the villains in Fire Emblem: Fates for being atrociously written, bland and cartoonishly evil.

Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins. Stop for 5 seconds to do something nice that isn't even an inconvenience? Morrigan disapproves -10. She's just a fucking arsehole.

Velenna from Dragon Age: Awakening. Somehow even more of an arsehole than Morrigan, but stupider and with some Elven Supremacy thrown in? No thanks.

Anders from Dragon Age II. Mostly because I feel like they butchered him compared to how good he was in Awakening.

That one gargoyle who talked shit to me at the start of Medievil. Fuck you too mate.

Captain Quark from Ratchet and Clank. They took a legitimately interesting character and just reduced him to a bumbling idiot.

The Bloody Baron from the Witcher 3. I hate how people hold him up as an example of 'morally grey' writing when he's just outright worse than everyone else involved.

Anyone and everyone who has anything to do with the Legion in Fallout NV.

There's a lot more, but I'm too tired to think of them.

Edited by Magus of Flowers

Junko Enoshima from the Danganronpa series. I have never hated a character with the passion that I hate Junko.

You can't make her quake with fear and anger when you thwart all of the plans she's spent ages preparing. You can't turn her ideology against her or outright prove it wrong and force her to accept that she is the loser and you are the winner. You can't garner any type of reaction from her that would fill you with happiness, satisfaction or vindication that she has been trounced time and time again by your hand. You can't rejoice when she is no longer of the world and can't influence it with her vile presence.

What makes her so fucking infuriating is that, in the end, she WANTS to feel these things. She wants to feel despair! There is no change of heart for her and no peace of mind for you because this person who has fucked over so many people still has her happiness in the afterlife when she DOES NOT DESERVE IT!

flips table and explodes house

She is one of those villains that you can't say you've truly defeated. There is no worth in defeating her.

And she even finds amusement in that.

Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX stands out for having every fight as a "steal every turn and hopefully you steal every item she has." Why is it bad? All of her boss fights are on a hidden timer with abysmal steal rates. Once it expires or you deplete her HP, everyone in the party drops to 1 HP, and the game continues on.

The turrets boss in Mega Man 2 too: You HAVE to be perfect with Crash Bombs in this boss fight. If you screw up, you're forced to restart the battle.

Any KOF final boss can eff themselves.

And this is probably very unpopular...and a possible spoiler for anyone who hasn't played Tales of Symphonia.

Spoiler

I hate Zelos.  The playboy type of characters have never been a favorite of mine so when I found out I could fight Zelos and kill him off, I did and I still do in any subsequent playthrough.

I-NO from Guilty Gear is a character I'm not particularly fond of most of the time since I see her as kinda generic for a femme fatale, but I really hate her boss fight in Guilty Gear XX(also known as X2). Maybe I'm just bad at fighting games, but even on the easier difficulties with my best characters she's just a pain to deal with.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

23 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!

Thanks for reminding me of that nightmare, now I have to go back to the therapist.

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yet Japan eats him up I've heard and ignores Ieyasu. Well maybe "ignores Ieyasu" is inappropriate since he did shape the next two and half centuries of Japanese history, but I know he polls pretty low in SW popularity.

Of course they do. Tsunderes and prettyboys only need to breathe in order to be popular in Japan while Mitsunari's opponent is old, fat and has some cultural baggage holding him back.

10 hours ago, Lerandel said:

Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX stands out for having every fight as a "steal every turn and hopefully you steal every item she has." Why is it bad? All of her boss fights are on a hidden timer with abysmal steal rates. Once it expires or you deplete her HP, everyone in the party drops to 1 HP, and the game continues on.

That and she also completely gets away with committing genocide without a moment of feeling bad about it. Well, she does feel bad but only because she has to share her killing spree with the black mages. It also doesn't help she makes at least one racist remark to the people she slaughters.

Then again she also brings out the best in Steiner. 

Bosses:

(For Honor): the Orochi boss at the end of the Viking campaign. "You are a raider; legendary!" "You are a raider; legendary!"

Speaking of For Honor: Apollyon. What happens when Social Darwinist meats bloodthirsty omnicidal maniac. Basically leads a campaign to kill anyone who isn't violent and bloodthirsty so the world will forever be at war; all to eliminate everyone she perceives as "sheep".

(Fire Emblem Path of Radiance) The warrior boss that uses all the priests as human shields. Utterly despicable, and made the chapter extremely annoying.

Non-Bosses:

Navi (You know which game) "HEY; LISTEN!!!" Her replacement, Tatl, in Majora's Mask isn't much better.

Leon in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. He can take several rounds of rifle shots in the head and still be standing. I've also once tried using guns-a-blazing with the grenade launcher to hit him with 20 rounds point blank and he still recovered and brutal killed me.

Also the 5 Tyrants/Super Tyrants at once in the Echo Six campaign. That's just mean, especially if you play with AI. But hey once I managed to somehow beat the mission with only 4 Tyrants dead. which is a godsend.