Hated Video Game Bosses/Characters

DolphinDingus

On 10/3/2017 at 1:16 AM, saisymbolic said:

Junko Enoshima from the Danganronpa series. I have never hated a character with the passion that I hate Junko.

I find Monaca much worse than Junko could ever be, manipulating the Warriors of Hope, causing the deaths of hundreds of adults, fake being in a wheelchair for people's sympathy, and legitimately triggering Kotoko  rape/molestation trauma then beating her up. There is a reason I consider her the spawn of the devil.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To be honest, I did enjoy both games when I first played them, if I didn't I wouldn't have unlocked everyone's Hot Spring scenes in LA2 (which is tedious given how many NG+s you have to do for that). And I actually badly wanted an LA3 international release for a while.

I've just come in time to see them for what they are in time. At least they're better than Sands of Destruction though, that game fails to have a charming cast, fails to have good gameplay, good music, or a good plot. It has... crisp graphics? But that is it. It got a manga and an anime I heard, both of which are totally different from the actual game. The premise of "destroy the world!" sounds cool, but the game ultimately betrays it for a goodie good ending.

Is that Stella Glow or LA? I mean, they have absurd plot similarities, but still...

Hated Bosses / Bosses that annoyed me:

1.) Every single big monster in Hyrule Warriors. If only because they completely destroy the game flow and blatantly show that slow paced exploration with strategic, slow paced boss battles and fast paced hack 'n slash don't mix very well. Special shout-outs to that Manhandler-thing (Inigo: I WANNA BE MANHANDLED!!!) and that huge... whatever the hell from Skyward Sword for being nothing more than annoying PIAs. (If anyone knows that thing's name, let me know)

2.) Jedah from Fire Emblem Echoes. This is less of a 'hate' and more of a 'why do it this way' kind of thing.
It's not that he's tough. The 4 turn rule is what makes him more annoying than anything else. On top of him countering everything from every range, he's only attackable every 4 turns or so. Thank whatever deity you prefer he doesn't attack on his turn. Why not make it that only a certain spell that only Celica can learn can hurt him? It worked for Gharnef, so why not here? It would also make Celica's presence in the final map more crucial. As it stands, she's kind of superfluous.

3.) Ghetsis from Pokémon Black and White and Black 2 and White 2. Level 52 / 54 Hydreigon... really? Really GameFreak? I know you were never ones for fairness but that is ridiculous. For the uninitiated: Zweilous doesn't evolve into Hydreigon until level 64 in the mainline Pokémon games, so Ghetsis really shouldn't have a Hydreigon at that point.
Hell, take any Gym Leader, Champion or Elite 4 member with evolved Pokémon that shouldn't be in that stage until much later (looking at you, Gen 2 Lance) and they would have a place here.

4.) 4 words: Texture Field Human Eater! Worse still, you fight this jerk twice! Hope you have an Ebemon or some Pixel Barriers ready, else your team will be nothing but tiny, pixelated sprites that can only attack normally for scratch damage. 
The game is Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, by the way. 

5.) The Final Boss of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse. I won't say it's name for spoiler reasons, but it's a two-phased battle set at the end of possibly the worst final dungeon I have ever seen. I dislike both of them for the same reason: They just won't end. Never mind the dungeon that long overstayed it's welcome once you've reached the third area of it, the boss itself is just a giant damage sponge. It's not even that hard to fight, it just has so much freaking HP. I mean, it's not Yiazmat (FFXII), but still... supplementing a lack of an actually engaging and challenging boss with a boring damage sponge isn't exactly something I'd call 'good' per se. It's so disappointing, too, considering what the final boss essentially is.
The only good thing I can say about this fight without spoiling the boss' identity is that the music in both phases is pretty great.

I won't even go that deep into characters that I hate, because there's so many (because I've played so many games in my life) and this post is already pretty long, so I'll just list some of the ones I disliked the most (sorry if my choices may anger some of you. I'm just sharing my thoughts):

• You blond douche of a rival (Pokémon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum)
  • Ewan (Stella Glow)
  • Ryoma, Xander, Azura, Leo, Takumi, Camilla, Hinoka, Laslow, Effie, Jakob, Dwyer, Forrest, Kiragi, Soleil (Fire Emblem Fates)
  • Yosuke Hanamura (Persona 4: Golden)
  • Chie Satonaka (Persona 4: Golden) (This one I blame mostly on her nails on a chalkboard-voice acting)
  • Teddie (Persona 4: Golden)
  • Hope (Final Fantasy XIII)
  • Ricken, Sully, Kjelle, Inigo, Donnel (Fire Emblem Awakening)
  • Rie Kishibe (Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth)
  • Ephraim, Innes (Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones)
  • Sain, Kent, Rath, Raven (Fire Emblem Blazing Sword)
  • Yuuki Mishima (Persona 5)
  • Kris (Fire Emblem New Mystery of the Emblem)
  • Patrick (The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel)
  • The Archangels (Shin Megami Tensei IV)
  • The aforementioned final boss (Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse)
  • Mikleo (Tales of Zestiria)
  • Zelos Wilder (Tales of Symphonia)

On that note: Have you ever asked yourself what your most disliked characters or just taste in characters in general say about you as a person? Perhaps this is my post-hospital medication talking, but while compiling this list, this question came up. Huh.

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

(If anyone knows that thing's name, let me know)

The Imprisoned. Also, it's Manhandla. And I do agree that Giant Bosses are flow breakers.

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

On that note: Have you ever asked yourself what your most disliked characters or just taste in characters in general say about you as a person? Perhaps this is my post-hospital medication talking, but while compiling this list, this question came up. Huh.

I've never been on painkillers and other loopy stuff I think. But I should pick out what games I should play while under them in advance. Earthbound maybe? I think this could be its own FFtF topic.

15 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Really often. I'm always thinking far too much about fiction in general. How it made me what I am today. What it says about me ? and so on...
For example, Hugh is someone I couldn't stand IRL as well, because he passes on his stress to me, and I have really low tolerance towards this. (And I really can't stand dishonnesty, which is why I can't stand Kent or Tidus)

2 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Three words...Gary MotherF$*cking Oak!

Always started the whole Imma pick the pokemon that has a type advantage over you and always be leveled higher than you.

One, the original name was Green, since the first two version of Pokemon were Green and Red, Blue later replacing Green for international audiences (and hence the name change to Blue). Green makes sense, since his last name is Oak, Green Oak is an actual type of tree.

Two, it's the game teaching you you can't just stick with one Pokemon all the time (or so it thinks).

On 10/29/2017 at 11:56 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

One, the original name was Green, since the first two version of Pokemon were Green and Red, Blue later replacing Green for international audiences (and hence the name change to Blue). Green makes sense, since his last name is Oak, Green Oak is an actual type of tree.

Two, it's the game teaching you you can't just stick with one Pokemon all the time (or so it thinks).

That and he appears before critcal points like the bridge in Cerulean lol

I could list one thousand, but I'll go with just two...

Hades's Heart aka retarded Bomberman - Kid Icarus Uprising:
I'm sure everyone who has played this game know how big of a bullshit this fight is. The idea is amzing, havin a 3D bomerman-esque fight, but man this boss... It's so random, and then there are two of them, then he's invinible and the the other explodes and then theres the mine... you can't react to all of this... Jesus... An Honorable Mention from Uprising is the ResetBombGenerator. Also retarded.

Lazm - Treasure of the Rudras:
Compared to Riaz's and Sion's story, Surelnt's scenario had either the hardest bosses, or the easiest. Ironically, Lazm is both. I've seen people kill hin in 2 turns... But... So here's the problem: He uses thunder and wind attacks/mantras, so for defense it's best to go neutral to not get fucked over by the other element. I had items boosting wind defense on almost everyone, except Surlent himself. And the first half was pretty ok, but the he pulled out his super ultra nuke: ラズムサンダー! ...aka Lazm Thunder. Not only is it strong as hell, but it hit your whole party AND it's thunder type. On top of THAT, at that point I didn't know that you could change your characters position in battle between front and back, and all of them were in front and took more damage than they had to...
At first I tried randomly creating new mantras, i came up with some OP Light Mantras like STELLASTAR and others like KIONSOANE, but ultimately i had to look up new Mantras on the internet, and I enscribed some retarded wind mantras, GRANKIULUSNA or somehow like that. It was OP as hell until I later, gain randomly, enscribed a ridisculously dumb Light Mantra (thos are OP, srs). The Final Boss had a similarly overpowered move like Lazm's Lazm Thunder, called Flow, but I found it less annoying and broken than Lazm's attack. 

Anyways, yeah, those are the first that come to my mind when I think about bosses i hate.

Moldorm in the Link to the Past was really annoying. At least the one in Link's Awakening died with a few slashes, and didn't have a pitfall in the middle of the arena.

Wizzro in Hyrule Warriors for spamming high damage attacks with the majority of the time not exposing his smash gauge.

Rose from Tales of Zestiria. I swore to myself I would hatw a fictional character, but ruined that promise.

And I may get flak from this, but seeing people hating Goro Akechi from Persona 5 makes sad. It's a combination of values dissonance and lack of development that causes this. 

On 11/2/2017 at 7:28 PM, Water Mage said:

And I may get flak from this, but seeing people hating Goro Akechi from Persona 5 makes sad. It's a combination of values dissonance and lack of development that causes this. 

Spoiler

No amount of values dissonance, development or character interactions changes the fact that Akechi is a cold-blooded murderer who killed untold numbers of innocents through his breakdowns, gleefully shot Joker in the head, was planning to essentially tear down Japanese society just to get back at one man, and who both took the initiative to find and meet Shido and was participating in Shido's plans of his own free will, all without a lick of regret or remorse. 

Edited by Azure Sen
should have spoilered it from the beginning, apologies

Let me see...

Fire Emblem: Astram is an annoying prick in New Mystery. Attacks units in range in one chapter, chases you in the level after that, and in the next level, he appears as a reinforcement in a semi-desert level, and a few chapters after that, where he can FINALLY be recruited, he's likely to attack Jeorge before they can talk.

Pokémon: Whitney. First, her Miltank. Second, after losing, she whines like a kid. Third, HER MILTANK. Also, TOTEM WISHIWASHI. TOTEM EFFING WISHIWASHI. An early/mid-game boss with stats that rival some of the gods. Also, it can heal. Yes, it can heal.

Skyrim: That one Imperial captain in the opening. "Forget the list, he/she goes to the block!" What. Why? And if you think about it, if they actually succeeded in executing the player character, their world would be doomed.

Fallout: Arthur Maxson. Xenophobic, tech-hoarding (facist?) leader of a faction meant to help people. Also, (spoilers)

Spoiler

Later in the faction's questline, he orders you to kill one of their most loyal soldiers, just because they found out he was something they were against. (The dude was a synthethic human.)

Terraria: The Twins. Two giant floating eyeballs that shoot lasers? What could possibly go wrong?

PvZ 2: The Dinosaur Boss. The Dinosaurs it summons only have one counter, and it rarely spawns, and only affects one lane out of five. Even worse in the rematch, where your provided units don't provide good counters to the units he spawns.

5 hours ago, Azure Sen said:
  Hide contents

No amount of values dissonance, development or character interactions changes the fact that Akechi is a cold-blooded murderer who killed untold numbers of innocents through his breakdowns, gleefully shot Joker in the head, was planning to essentially tear down Japanese society just to get back at one man, and who both took the initiative to find and meet Shido and was participating in Shido's plans of his own free will, all without a lick of regret or remorse. 

I never said he did anything wrong, but having knowledge of how the Japanese foster care system works, and how bastard children are treated shows that he didn’t have much options. I’ll explain some, there ‘s “The Convention on the Rights of the Child” states that for the full development of a child’s personality, they “should grow up in a family environment, in an atmosphere of happiness, love and understanding”, otherwise they are considered without personality and rights, there’s this system of family trees in Japan called Koseki that woul pretty much prevent Akechi from ever getting a job and in Japan orphans lose support from government and literary throw into streets when they reach 15 years. So think about it his situation when Akechi began working Shido. He has to choose between a comfortable life as an assasin, plus getting on Shido or a life in the streets without being able to get a job due to how  the law works? It wasn’t exactly a fair choice, I mean he did become an assassin by his own will, but the alternative wasn’t exactly good. Actually there’s much more wrong with how the Japanese foster care system, but its really long. Again, I never said he didn’t do anything wrong, but do you see what I mean by values dissonance?

6 hours ago, Water Mage said:
  Hide contents

I never said he did anything wrong, but having knowledge of how the Japanese foster care system works, and how bastard children are treated shows that he didn’t have much options. I’ll explain some, there ‘s “The Convention on the Rights of the Child” states that for the full development of a child’s personality, they “should grow up in a family environment, in an atmosphere of happiness, love and understanding”, otherwise they are considered without personality and rights, there’s this system of family trees in Japan called Koseki that woul pretty much prevent Akechi from ever getting a job and in Japan orphans lose support from government and literary throw into streets when they reach 15 years. So think about it his situation when Akechi began working Shido. He has to choose between a comfortable life as an assasin, plus getting on Shido or a life in the streets without being able to get a job due to how  the law works? It wasn’t exactly a fair choice, I mean he did become an assassin by his own will, but the alternative wasn’t exactly good. Actually there’s much more wrong with how the Japanese foster care system, but its really long. Again, I never said he didn’t do anything wrong, but do you see what I mean by values dissonance?

Spoiler

Ignoring the massive research failure for a moment, that still doesn't actually prove anything. If "values dissonance" (which really isn't values dissonance) is enough for you to consider Akechi likable then whatever, but don't act like people are passing unfair judgment on Akechi because they don't understand how the Japanese treat illegitimate children. I understand it perfectly and I still hate him; a tragic backstory does not excuse or make up for the terrible, terrible things he's done.

Re: koseki, that's not how they work. A koseki is s a family registry, and not being on one (even though Goro would have been on the Akechi family registry for legal reasons, if nothing else) does not preclude one from employment, because while only Japanese citizens are allowed to be recorded on koseki, it's not a requirement of citizenship to be so. In fact, in modern Japan, not being on a koseki is pretty irrelevant, because it's illegal for Japanese employers to force a potential employee to disclose their koseki, and access to koseki is restricted to those on it or lawyers if someone on it is involved in legal proceedings. So the idea that Akechi had no choice but to become Shido's assassin because he couldn't make a living legitimately is laughable (do you think they just let him be a detective with no certification?).

As for the Convention on the Rights of the Child...aside from the fact that every country in the world is a signatory on it (minus the US) because it's a UN treaty, that's not what that passage means. No child will be denied rights or considered less of a person because they didn't grow up in a family unit; all they're saying is that growing up in a stable family unit is better for a child's development (which is 100% true, according to psychological studies), and that the convention is meant to foster such an environment and protect children who are in a less than ideal environment. They even specifically refer to "every child" several times in the text.

4 minutes ago, Azure Sen said:
  Hide contents

Ignoring the massive research failure for a moment, that still doesn't actually prove anything. If "values dissonance" (which really isn't values dissonance) is enough for you to consider Akechi likable then whatever, but don't act like people are passing unfair judgment on Akechi because they don't understand how the Japanese treat illegitimate children. I understand it perfectly and I still hate him; a tragic backstory does not excuse or make up for the terrible, terrible things he's done.

Re: koseki, that's not how they work. A koseki is s a family registry, and not being on one (even though Goro would have been on the Akechi family registry for legal reasons, if nothing else) does not preclude one from employment, because while only Japanese citizens are allowed to be recorded on koseki, it's not a requirement of citizenship to be so. In fact, in modern Japan, not being on a koseki is pretty irrelevant, because it's illegal for Japanese employers to force a potential employee to disclose their koseki, and access to koseki is restricted to those on it or lawyers if someone on it is involved in legal proceedings. So the idea that Akechi had no choice but to become Shido's assassin because he couldn't make a living legitimately is laughable (do you think they just let him be a detective with no certification?).

As for the Convention on the Rights of the Child...aside from the fact that every country in the world is a signatory on it (minus the US) because it's a UN treaty, that's not what that passage means. No child will be denied rights or considered less of a person because they didn't grow up in a family unit; all they're saying is that growing up in a stable family unit is better for a child's development (which is 100% true, according to psychological studies), and that the convention is meant to foster such an environment and protect children who are in a less than ideal environment. They even specifically refer to "every child" several times in the text.

I actually wasn’t talking about how koseki itself would stop him from having a good life, but rather the social stigma surrounding it. Hell, social stigma it’s one of the main themes of Persona 5. Japan is a place that put to much care in appearances, and anything that could tarnish your image is enough for many people. Society wouldn’t give Akechi a chance. And I’m not saying his tragic backstory excuses his actions. I just feel like immediately considering him evil without considering his past is wrong. What happened to that made Akechi make the choices he make? And if a tragic backstory makes a character irredeemable, does that mean that characters like Chidori from Persona 3(who was part of an assassin group), who Sho from Persona Arena(who was planning to destroy the world and made Labrys go through a traumatic experience) and Maki from Danganronpa V3(who is an assassin) who all have tragic backstories are irredeemable?

I'm sorry to say, Purple Mage, but I find Whitney and her Miltank overrated, actually. I beat her in the first try by virtue of the traded Machop and my Geodude that I also used against Bugsy (though not Falkner as his Pidgeotto had Mud Slap), and I had no idea she was considered "difficult". Actually, that's the reason I hate her of all of the Gym Leaders.

I'm going to agree that Akechi turned out to be a really poor character, especially because of how the game and its characters treated him.

However, few characters can compete with Athena Cykes. Now, I love the Ace Attorney series, but Yamazaki, the guy who has written two spin-offs and the two most recent mainline entries, is not a good writer, and nowhere is this more apparent than with Athena Cykes. 

Athena shows up out of nowhere in the fifth entry of the game, right after a soft reboot that set up another newcomer. So instead of properly giving him some much-needed character development, she steals essentially all the spotlight in the game. The entire game is based around her and her past, and effectively all loose plot threads in the final case can be solved either by her or by directly helping her. 

She's an 18-year-old with both a law degree and a psychology degree. She's attractive, athletic, spunky, intelligent, popular, and has a legendary mentor. At no point do you think she's ever an underdog, yet the game tries to give her a tragic backstory. Her mother was murdered when she was 11, and up until that time she had been a social recluse that almost never left her room, yet lo and behold, after being traumatized and moving to Europe (America in the Japanese version) for unspecified reasons, she's a superhuman seven years later.

Ace Attorney is all about quirky characters and is no stranger to ridiculous child prodigies and the like, but Athena warps the entire game around her to an extent that I have only seen once since, and that was Corrin in Fates (someone who's also at the very top of my list). What's more, most quirky characters in the series are given a surprising amount of depth and development unless they're really minor, but even though Athena is one of the main characters and takes center stage in the fifth game, I feel like I've just read a list of traits and events that happened to her rather than actually gotten to know her.

Her inclusion was completely and thoroughly unwarranted, and she reads like a bad fanfic self-insert.

Edited by Thane

2 hours ago, Thane said:

I'm going to agree that Akechi turned out to be a really poor character, especially because of how the game and its characters treated him.

However, few characters can compete with Athena Cykes. Now, I love the Ace Attorney series, but Yamazaki, the guy who has written two spin-offs and the two most recent mainline entries, is not a good writer, and nowhere is this more apparent than with Athena Cykes. 

Athena shows up out of nowhere in the fifth entry of the game, right after a soft reboot that set up another newcomer. So instead of properly giving him some much-needed character development, she steals essentially all the spotlight in the game. The entire game is based around her and her past, and effectively all loose plot threads in the final case can be solved either by her or by directly helping her. 

She's an 18-year-old with both a law degree and a psychology degree. She's attractive, athletic, spunky, intelligent, popular, and has a legendary mentor. At no point do you think she's ever an underdog, yet the game tries to give her a tragic backstory. Her mother was murdered when she was 11, and up until that time she had been a social recluse that almost never left her room, yet lo and behold, after being traumatized and moving to Europe (America in the Japanese version) for unspecified reasons, she's a superhuman seven years later.

Ace Attorney is all about quirky characters and is no stranger to ridiculous child prodigies and the like, but Athena warps the entire game around her to an extent that I have only seen once since, and that was Corrin in Fates (someone who's also at the very top of my list). What's more, most quirky characters in the series are given a surprising amount of depth and development unless they're really minor, but even though Athena is one of the main characters and takes center stage in the fifth game, I feel like I've just read a list of traits and events that happened to her rather than actually gotten to know her.

Her inclusion was completely and thoroughly unwarranted, and she reads like a bad fanfic self-insert.

Can ask your opinion on the Phantom Thieves and P5’s story in general? Because I liked it a first, but I now I really dislike. Mostly because I think the Phantom Thieves ended up getting the Corrin treatment. As in, the game’s story is written so Phantom Thievss look as heroic possible and they do no wrong. I think the story is too black and white. For a bunch of rebellious thieves, the Phantom Thieves seems more like a bunch boyscouts compared to previous Persona casts. They never have a morally questionable moment. Which is why I like Akechi far more than any of the Phantom Thieves. Because he is literally the only morally grey character in the game. And the reason Akechi ended a poorly handled character is because a morally questionable character like him have no place in a black and white setting like Persona 5. That’s why I don’t like calling Akechi a villain, because that would put him in the same level as cartoonishly evil characters like Kamoshida and Shido. We never even get to explore his character. I mean, in Persona 4, we get how Adachi originally felt about his crimes, and what led him to do it. But we never get that for Akechi. And Persona 4 also shows that despite being a serial killer who kills people for fun, he also can genuinely care for people like Dojima and Nanako. But Persona 5 never does that for Akechi. Because heavens forbid a character that criticize the Phantoms Thieves be a good person. 

Sorry for long rant, but rare for me to find someone else who thinks that Akechi was poorly handled.

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Hide contents

Can ask your opinion on the Phantom Thieves and P5’s story in general? Because I liked it a first, but I now I really dislike. Mostly because I think the Phantom Thieves ended up getting the Corrin treatment. As in, the game’s story is written so Phantom Thievss look as heroic possible and they do no wrong. I think the story is too black and white. For a bunch of rebellious thieves, the Phantom Thieves seems more like a bunch boyscouts compared to previous Persona casts. They never have a morally questionable moment. Which is why I like Akechi far more than any of the Phantom Thieves. Because he is literally the only morally grey character in the game. And the reason Akechi ended a poorly handled character is because a morally questionable character like him have no place in a black and white setting like Persona 5. That’s why I don’t like calling Akechi a villain, because that would put him in the same level as cartoonishly evil characters like Kamoshida and Shido. We never even get to explore his character. I mean, in Persona 4, we get how Adachi originally felt about his crimes, and what led him to do it. But we never get that for Akechi. And Persona 4 also shows that despite being a serial killer who kills people for fun, he also can genuinely care for people like Dojima and Nanako. But Persona 5 never does that for Akechi. Because heavens forbid a character that criticize the Phantoms Thieves be a good person. 

Sorry for long rant, but rare for me to find someone else who thinks that Akechi was poorly handled.

It was a while since I watched the walkthrough of the game (haven't played it myself), but...

Spoiler

I found it lacking in many areas. The lack of an appealing real villain until relatively late into the game really hurt the overall narrative experience. While definitely not perfect, I felt like I understood why the story moved forward when it did in Persona 3 and 4, whereas in Persona 5 it just felt like they had a villain of the week show up to cause some havoc because the game demanded it. I guess I felt the plot was unfocused. That's not to say it's bad, just not as good as it could - or should - have been.

The Phantom Thieves were also a bit annoying to me. I mean, the game makes a point of having Makoto recording a conversation between the playable characters before she joins, yet they keep having their conversations out in the open even after she joins the team. It was an unnecessary addition of plot armor.

But I'm sorry, no matter the misstep Persona 5 took, it's not enough to not call Akechi a villain. Why sympathize with him and not someone like Yusuke's mentor? Because he's young, attractive and had a tragic past? The guy willingly and even happily murdered people, and he did so either out of spite or to get some kind of revenge. He's a petty, evil person, and the game refusing to treat him as such felt hypocritical.

12 minutes ago, Thane said:

It was a while since I watched the walkthrough of the game (haven't played it myself), but...

Hide contents

I found it lacking in many areas. The lack of an appealing real villain until relatively late into the game really hurt the overall narrative experience. While definitely not perfect, I felt like I understood why the story moved forward when it did in Persona 3 and 4, whereas in Persona 5 it just felt like they had a villain of the week show up to cause some havoc because the game demanded it. I guess I felt the plot was unfocused. That's not to say it's bad, just not as good as it could - or should - have been.

The Phantom Thieves were also a bit annoying to me. I mean, the game makes a point of having Makoto recording a conversation between the playable characters before she joins, yet they keep having their conversations out in the open even after she joins the team. It was an unnecessary addition of plot armor.

But I'm sorry, no matter the misstep Persona 5 took, it's not enough to not call Akechi a villain. Why sympathize with him and not someone like Yusuke's mentor? Because he's young, attractive and had a tragic past? The guy willingly and even happily murdered people, and he did so either out of spite or to get some kind of revenge. He's a petty, evil person, and the game refusing to treat him as such felt hypocritical.

My problem with calling Akechi a villain is not because he didn’t anything wrong. He clearly did, but the game never shows how he honestly felt about it. You said that he happily murdered people, but we even don’t know that. How can we properly judge him, if the game never explores his character? How did he feel after first commiting his first murder? The game doesn’t really show anything about him. He feels incredibly rushed after the reveal. And funny you should mention Yusuke’s mentor, Madarame, because Yusuke’s social link actually redeems him a bit, by showing that he genuinely cared for Yusuke deep down.

5 minutes ago, Water Mage said:
Spoiler

My problem with calling Akechi a villain is not because he didn’t anything wrong. He clearly did, but the game never shows how he honestly felt about it. You said that he happily murdered people, but we even don’t know that. How can we properly judge him, if the game never explores his character?

Spoiler

Why is Iago considered a villain if we never explore his character?

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

And funny you should mention Yusuke’s mentor, Madarame, because Yusuke’s social link actually redeems him a bit, by showing that he genuinely cared for Yusuke deep down.

Spoiler

I remember that, but the characters in the main story show little remorse when dealing with him. Yet for some reason Akechi, who has committed worse acts, is more pitiable.

29 minutes ago, Thane said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Why is Iago considered a villain if we never explore his character?

Reveal hidden contents

I remember that, but the characters in the main story show little remorse when dealing with him. Yet for some reason Akechi, who has committed worse acts, is more pitiable.

Honestly, the fact that Akechi did worse crimes than some characters in the game, while still being sympathetic is what made him more interesting to me. How he felt when he started being an assassin? Did he ever thought about stopping? I really wanted the game to explore that, but they never did. And from what I’ve heard, the japanese shows that he killing people using the Metaverse was Shido’s idea rather than Akechi’s and that there was line where Akechi says “If only I knew that people’s hearts could be changed” which could mean that he regrets that fact that he became an assassin, but that line was cut from the localized version. It’s been while since I read the japanese script, so I don’t remember the full line. Again, I’m not saying he never did anything wrong, but rather I wanted to know more about him, rather than killing him off when he was showing signs of redemption. Seriously, killing him off was terrible idea. Why not make him answer for his crimes like they did with Adachi? Or better yet, considering that Akechi committed his crimes using magical powers in a magical world, it would be very hard to find him guitly in court, so why not explore that the fact that Akechi can’t properly answer for his crimes even if he admits them? He committed unforgivable crimes and yet can’t be arrested for them. Wouldn’t that be far more interesting than simply killing him off?

Edited by Water Mage