So how is the difficulty of FE6 toned down compared to FE5?

Harvey

I haven't played FE5, but as far as I know, it's general consensus that FE6's hard mode is among the more difficult ones, and was probably the hardest in the franchise when it was published. It's simpler mechanically, but as far as I know not easier to beat than FE5. From what I know, FE5 has a tendency to pull mean tricks at times, which is why many first-time players get frustrated by it, but the general power level of the enemies is considerably lower than in HM!FE6. So I would answer your question with "It's not."

FE6 just have less WTF than FE5. The difficulty of FE6 comes from high stats and enemy amount such as in say the notorious chapter 8. Mind the early game of FE6 is literal hell of the series until FE11 and FE12 redefines the word, but for as easy a fully abused FE5 is, chapter 24x is still bullshit

FE5 difficulty is one of those things that is viewed highly back then and just fucking drops right now as people found all sorts of ridiculous shit you can do. Atm most players would probably consider it pretty easy since everything in FE5 is broken. Meanwhile FE6 did not get broken until Miledy, Percival -> Niime, Yodel era

FE5 is the very same game where the generally accepted "hardest part of the game" is a Lord solo

I mean lets put it this way,FE5 is so broken Galzus early appearance is able to be cheesed. If Galzus appeared in like FE6 he would be a throughout monster

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

FE5's difficulty comes mostly from its quick BS, but you have methods of dealing with it, most of the time.

FE6 Hard Mode is punishing if you don't know who to use or what things to stock in advance, along with various things you should be familiar with.

Edited by Jedi

I haven't fully played through FE 5 yet and I haven't played through FE 6 on hard mode. But as far as FE 5 goes, I have replayed up till I was on my first playthrough and I found it a lot easier than my first time through. I feel like FE 5's main flaw is playing through the game blind. And I don't mean kind of blind, or slightly blind, I mean completely blind. The game kind of tells you to go fuck yourself if you don't have a grasp on the mechanics (and i feel like the current patch doesn't really do well in explaining things), you didn't know that everyone is supposed to escape before Leif? Oh well. I also feel like a FE 5 punishes those who are stubborn on relying on "bad habits". If you still think prepromotes are bad and refuse to use them, you're going to have a bad time through certain segments of the game. Eyvel is the most reliable boss killer early game, and Tania is not going to solo 8x.

6 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

I haven't fully played through FE 5 yet and I haven't played through FE 6 on hard mode. But as far as FE 5 goes, I have replayed up till I was on my first playthrough and I found it a lot easier than my first time through. I feel like FE 5's main flaw is playing through the game blind. And I don't mean kind of blind, or slightly blind, I mean completely blind. The game kind of tells you to go fuck yourself if you don't have a grasp on the mechanics (and i feel like the current patch doesn't really do well in explaining things), you didn't know that everyone is supposed to escape before Leif? Oh well. I also feel like a FE 5 punishes those who are stubborn on relying on "bad habits". If you still think prepromotes are bad and refuse to use them, you're going to have a bad time through certain segments of the game. Eyvel is the most reliable boss killer early game, and Tania is not going to solo 8x.

Theres actually a part of the dialogue that explicitly says Leif should escape first. The problem wasnt it not mentioned anywhere, but the lack of reconfirmation for it really(something that Conquest did.... excessively)

FE5 is primarily difficult for first timers as they don't have knowledge of how things work. Play it a few times and you'll realize that enemy stats are for the most part: shit. "Knowledge is power" basically whereas most other games' maps are pretty straightforward and transparent as to what you can expect from them.

FE6's hard mode difficulty comes mostly from the earlygame where it throws more enemies than the player can really deal with using the earlygame units you get and some of these enemies pack really decent stats like the earlygame Wyvern Knigthts were your best weapon to deal with are your archers but they just suck at this point and are among the worst units overall.

You can beat FE6 hard mode several times but you still have to deal with the difficulties of the earlygame with little options. The difficulty then goes down as you get better units and keep progressing through the game. Lategame just ends up becoming more tedious.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

I agree with all the things that have been said so far. FE5's difficulty comes from having to deal with arguably unfair game mechanics and the occasional cheep shots the game throws at you, the enemies themselves are not very threatening and your units can snowball very quickly using the crusader scrolls. If you don't know how to deal with those mechanics and cheap shots, the game can feels very frustrating and unfair, but with some careful planning and some knowledge of the game, all challenges can easily be overcome. 

FE6 is difficult due the relative strenght of the enemies compared to your units. Until the mid game, most of your units join rather weak and the enemies are very durable in the early game. It doesn't help that weapons are less accurate than in other games, so you have to deal with subpar hitchances regularely, which can screw you over even if you have a solid strategy. Unlike in FE5, the game is very generous in providing you all the information you need, so you can't blame the game mechanics for your failure.

3 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

The game says he should escape first?

Okay i worded it wrong, the game says Leaf should escape LAST, but people misintepret it as he should escape FIRST.

Fergus:
“It could be anybody. For now, we have to run. The stairs to the north lead outside. I’ll buy time for you, so you go first.

Leaf:
“But what about you?”

Fergus:
Probably we’ll get captured again. But I don’t mind as long as you’re able to escape.”

Leaf:
I can’t do that! When I escape, so does everyone else!”

From what i see on reactions on reddit, people intepret the last sentences as "Leaf escape first so its ok", but if you know anything about the way the entire sentence is written, it should be ridiculously obvious that they told you "no have Leif escape last, let everyone go first"

But the important part is the bolded ones. Basically Thracia DOES tells you about the mechanic of escaping - the flaw of it comes from it being presented as a dialogue(LOOOOOOOL SNES era game) instead of a command prompt like Conquest does THE WHOLE GAME

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

4 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

FE5 is primarily difficult for first timers as they don't have knowledge of how things work. Play it a few times and you'll realize that enemy stats are for the most part: shit. "Knowledge is power" basically whereas most other games' maps are pretty straightforward and transparent as to what you can expect from them.

FE6's hard mode difficulty comes mostly from the earlygame where it throws more enemies than the player can really deal with using the earlygame units you get and some of these enemies pack really decent stats like the earlygame Wyvern Knigthts were your best weapon to deal with are your archers but they just suck at this point and are among the worst units overall.

You can beat FE6 hard mode several times but you still have to deal with the difficulties of the earlygame with little options. The difficulty then goes down as you get better units and keep progressing through the game. Lategame just ends up becoming more tedious.

I want to agree with you on this but then there are a lot of problems that FE6 has that FE5 doesn't such as...

• The obvious weapon imbalance.
  • Unit balancing issues
  • Limited staffs
  • Roy's insane late promotion that makes Leif's promotion better.
  • Stronger enemies
  • Lack of cheats that help you ease through the struggle(FE5 has elite mode which doubles your EXP)
  • Long maps that are tedious to deal with.
  • Gaiden chapters that are forced to get the real ending.

FE5 has the opposite of the said points and is more balanced than that of FE6. I will agree that if you don't get used to stealing/capturing, its pretty tough but getting used to those mechanics isn't difficult to do so. Infact, those mechanics are simply the best.

Now, FE5 also has long maps to deal with but there are ways to trivialise them and as important as the gaiden chapters are, they are optional and don't force the player to access them to get the best ending but rather instead force the player to get goodies/units that make the quests easier like Lefis is good to use even if you don't get Pahn but Pahn is still better than him in the long run.

That being said...I still don't get how FE6 is any easier than FE5 when the former has a list of good reliable units except for a few ones. In FE6, using units like Sophia is such a pain to deal with.

27 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I want to agree with you on this but then there are a lot of problems that FE6 has that FE5 doesn't such as...

• Unit balancing issues
  • Limited staffs
  • Stronger enemies
  • Lack of cheats that help you ease through the struggle(FE5 has elite mode which doubles your EXP)

FE5 has the opposite of the said points and is more balanced than that of FE6. I will agree that if you don't get used to stealing/capturing, its pretty tough but getting used to those mechanics isn't difficult to do so. Infact, those mechanics are simply the best.

Now, FE5 also has long maps to deal with but there are ways to trivialise them and as important as the gaiden chapters are, they are optional and don't force the player to access them to get the best ending but rather instead force the player to get goodies/units that make the quests easier like Lefis is good to use even if you don't get Pahn but Pahn is still better than him in the long run.

That being said...I still don't get how FE6 is any easier than FE5 when the former has a list of good reliable units except for a few ones. In FE6, using units like Sophia is such a pain to deal with.

Weapon balance in Thracia is just as bad as FE6, it becomes a meme.

FE6 have cheats that help you through the struggles - its called NIime

Balancing issue wise FE5 definitely wins because 70% of the game is completely broken, but FE6 actually isn't bad in Normal Mode

32 minutes ago, Harvey said:
  • Unit balancing issues
  • Limited staffs
  • Stronger enemies

How do these points contradict with Dr. Tarrasque's comparison?

Note that nobody in this thread was saying that FE6 would be easier than FE5. They are different in how they create difficulty (FE5 apparently has a lot of "gotcha" moments, while FE6 has less favorable Numbers for the player against the reddies), and for an informed player, FE6's hard mode is a lot harder than FE5, simply because many of the challenging parts can't be cheesed, especially in the earlygame where you don't have that much firepower.

In short, FE5 is hard mechanically, filled with tricky new functions and concepts and you have to think on your feet and learn the game to survive.

FE6 Hard Mode is difficulty pretty much through virtue of brute force: the stat gains enemies get are ridiculous and early game you'll be hurting for it.

Normal Mode FE6 I found to be a solid but not overwhelming challenge, though.

Why do people still proclaim Thracia 776 is hard? It is one of the easiest games to cheese in history. If you play like a slug and hate prepromotes and warpskips you deserve to lose. 

2 hours ago, L9999 said:

Why do people still proclaim Thracia 776 is hard? It is one of the easiest games to cheese in history. If you play like a slug and hate prepromotes and warpskips you deserve to lose. 

Yeah I don't get it either. The way that this game gives you so many good units combined with scrolls and early stat boosters just makes the unit training more tolerable. Heck, you even have the elite mode which practically can make even horrible units more tolerable.

Its not like the player is a total loser if chapter 16b and 17b are chosen instead of chapter 16a and 17a.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:34 AM, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

JSND. I get the feeling you don't like the conquest command prompt thing, but can you honestly tell me that it isn't worded awkwardly in Thracia?

Huh thats exactly what i said

Conquest did the right thing with the command prompt and instructions. Thracias escape issue can be solved had they do exactly that or whatever other method like bolding Felgus dialogue. A lot of things that they simply didnt do because lolSNES game

Another more straight example is how FE3 had Jeigan hinting you can recruit a group of units with specific characters.... while FE12 Talk Menu straight up lists what you need