What features (new or old) would make FE16 a "reimagining" a la Breath of the Wild? (No spoilers, please!)

There are two ways i could see this happening. The first would be a well written story that effectively uses characters on multiple sides to tell a nuanced story of a conflict. Fire Emblem has stuck too closely to black and white conflicts with moral paragons as the protagonists. A good story needs developed characters that believably exist in their world. Which brings me to my second point, worldbuilding.

A way they could improve world building is to have fully explorable towns and other locations. SoV had this to a degree, but we could go deeper. I'm imagining a "Tales of" level of free roaming within towns (you can cut the dungeons and routes connecting towns to save on development resources) with many NPCs to talk to and items to collect. They could even go as far as lore books ala Dragon Age.

Optionally, I'd ask for story/gameplay where your choices can result is serious consequences.

On 10/12/2017 at 2:16 PM, SavageVolug said:

Weapon durability and Weapon Repair.

Despite weapon durability being a mechanic I never really cared for, I really want weapon repair, as it's faster and cheaper than selling my single digit use weapons and buying a new one. I do want legendary weapons to have infinite uses, so I can actually use them for once, but they could have some cons to counter their pros, such as static stat reductions and/or the inability to crit (basically, a more balanced version of what fates attempted).

On 11/30/2017 at 6:23 PM, Altrosa said:

Have any of you played with those hacking randomizers? I know a few let's players used them and hilarity ensued with the messy job selections and wild unit scenarios. Now imagine that being a real mode where units are given base classes at complete random and you'd have to deal.

I honestly want one of these as a newgame+ reward, as it's a way of adding both replayability and unintentional humor to the game. They could also have several options of what to randomize, such as whether you only want the classes to be randomized, or if you want the characters to be as well, and/or if the enemies units are randomized or if you want them to be the the same as in a standard playthrough, all with an internal "balancer" that can be turned on or off, just in case you want to have a balanced army in all the randomness, or if you don't care about balancing. Besides, it would discourage even a small amount of hacking, which could be considered a plus.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:52 AM, blah the Prussian said:

The main thing I'd add is take the world map of Echoes and run with it even further. Have the map be massive, with a huge diversity of strategic points. Have enemy armies be moving across the map, and the player has to decide where to face them(they can scout out maps for good defensive areas). You could also have units have different strategic abilities, for example, cavalry can tell you the makeup of the enemy army before you engage, while archers can set up Ballistas. There could also be something like: you can fight the enemy in their impenetrable fortress or you can go through the dangerous bandit infested mountains to get to it; it's your choice.

Agreed. I'm mentioned it elsewhere, but I would also like this feature to impact the story as well. For example, you could gain allies with the local populace if you go out of your way to defeat the local bandit lord, but you would have to go out of your way to do so, meaning that the enemy could make some strategic moves against you in the meantime. Also, there would be story repercussions for speeding up the process of speeding up a siege using fire, poison, or assassins.

It's ambitious, but it would be cool if the effects were dynamic. For instance, if you use assassins commonly near the beginning of the story, enemy commanders would take note of this and set up countermeasures to make them less effective as you go on. However, if you forego using them for a good chunk of the game, but use an assassin to make a particularly difficult boss easier, both sides

On 11/30/2017 at 7:16 PM, Lord_Grima said:
  • A Real Branching Story - Not the Fates way with 3 paths, but everything stays the same. I want a full "Choose your own adventure" style. Give a lot of decisions of where the party can go, and let the player decide. (Need to cross the border into enemy territory? 1- charge at the main gates, 2- sneak around)  Each choice progresses the story, but in different ways with different consequences, maps, and events. It would add a lot of replay-ability too.
  • No Dragon Final Boss - As cool and epic a dragon is for a final boss, it has become a series staple (almost). So if we could get a real non-dragon villain that would be awesome. Lord Berkut would be a great example to follow, a real person lead down a dark path. He has legitimate reasons to fight against the protagonists and still creates a really epic/ awesome boss fight. 
  • Tragedy in the Party - Once a character joins the party, nothing bad happens to them (unless they die in battle in Classic Mode). The only exception I know of is Kaze's event in Birthright. In FE7 several times a character leaves your party, but you are given a heads up/ warning to it coming. I want to see more of this. These are actual people, sometimes they have other things they need to do. Let some characters filter in and out of the party at times. And a more extreme version of this (which I really want) is the character just leaves and joins the enemy (like Fernand), you might get them back later, but it could show how nothing goes to plan, and people have changing loyalties. Like Fernand, character X does not like how the main protagonist is leading the army, so he leaves. I think this could create a really unique experience. Add this to the "choose your own adventure" style and different characters leave. If you take a more passive route, the "Punisher" type character leaves; or If you take the aggressive route, the pacifistic character leaves.
  • YES! Please! There are so many different ways they could use this idea, and I'm fine with any one of them. Whether it be choosing between which sides to support and which ones to oppose as a mercenary leader, choosing the course of history as several different characters have to make a decision, or as you stated, simply take the "Choose your own adventure" format (I really, really love those books, btw) and apply it to Fire Emblem. I just ask that they make all the endings bittersweet is some way, without ant "golden endings."
  • I always though that having a dragon either as a boss at the half-way point of the game, or one as the second-to-last boss, would be an interesting inversion of the series norm, and could lead to some climatic fights. Bonus points if the final boss manages to outdo a freaking-dragon!
  • I could see this both working out pretty well, yet I could also see it being annoying. They would really need to test when said units would be ok gameplay wise leaving, as to prevent a character from becoming over/under powered. I think a reward system for sacrificing using a unit on a certain map would net the player a nice reward to compensate would be a way to go.
On 12/2/2017 at 1:47 AM, Lord_Grima said:

For Example: your army is preparing for a battle, but one character is summoned back to the kingdom on urgent business. The player knows, and can take items off of him before he leaves. Then he comes back in a Chapter or two, nothing too long to fall behind, but can cause some change in tactics. 

The most extreme "Tragedy" I want is a pure Fernand-style betrayal. Someone is in your party, then they leave for good. We don't get many of these. Most of the time it is "I only betrayed you because I was possessed." The character can give items back, and because they leave for good they don't fall behind in levels.

Funnily enough, I've had my own ideas for both of these examples:

1. A hero who's renowned for being a "one-man-army" could ask to leave right before an important (and difficult) siege to save his lord, who has been captured. He's proven himself to be a very capable unit beforehand, so deciding whether keep him for the fight or send him away will be a very difficult decision. If you decide to send him away, you would get some kind of useful reward, see an awesome cutscene of said hero literally taking over his masters captured castle with his bare hands, and change the course of the story due to said lord surviving.
  2. I actually pictured a mercenary character, who you could tell was only in it for the money, betraying you sometime in the story, and would take all your stuff with him (or her). At first, this would rightfully anger any player for having their gear taken away from them. Then later on in the story, the mercenary would reappear... having forged all the stoled equipment past the maximum amount and carrying a legendary weapon. Not only would this be a funny case of trolling, it could also add an unexpected strategic element to the game, no matter how minor.
1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

There are two ways i could see this happening. The first would be a well written story that effectively uses characters on multiple sides to tell a nuanced story of a conflict. Fire Emblem has stuck too closely to black and white conflicts with moral paragons as the protagonists. A good story needs developed characters that believably exist in their world. Which brings me to my second point, worldbuilding.

I would post the story I proposed (by complete accident, if I'm being honest) in the Side Charater Ideas thread, but posting it a third time might make it seem if I'm trying to hard to push the idea.

Then again... for reference's sake:

(Two notes beforehand (which will be said in the spoiler anyway, but I also want to clarify here) 1. these are not my original ideas, as they came from the videogame Mount and Blade, but I do think that these situations could very well in a Fire Emblem game (with some obvious changes, of course). 2. I added in some extra details, mostly to add drama and grayness to the story)

Spoiler

Anyway, this is probably going to be the last time I add ideas to the topic. And admittedly they aren't entirely my own, but I always thought that the "Claimant and Ruler" situations in Mount and Blade could work very well in a Fire Emblem game. There's always a preset ruler to each kingdom, and a claimant to the throne, with both characters having their own balanced reasonings for why they should be in charge, with the player ultimately deciding which side to support. You can check out the tv trope page here, but as for the ones I think would work best in a Fire Emblem game:

(A few notes beforehand. 1. I haven't played the game enough to see every single conflict, so I have to go of TV Tropes and secondhand knowledge here to fill in the details. 2. Some details were added by me to insert more drama and grayness to the conflict. 3. As I said earlier, these are not my own ideas. They came from the game Mount and Blade. I just think they would work especially well in a Fire Emblem game. One can have similar ideas while still being unique from one another.)

• In a warrior nation, the claimant is a scholar who wishes to guide the nation towards more scientific activities, making sure the nation is balanced in both strength and intelligence. However, the current king disposed of him by claiming that their nation needs to be lead only by strong warriors. However, said king is a very reasonable leader, willing to listen to ideas that are not his own, and he takes criticism gracefully. We's also willing to listen to even lowly mercenaries if they prove their martial prowess. The claimant has all the virtues (and flaws) of a character who you'd expect to rely more on intellect and tactics than simple strength, although he is a fine warrior in his own right/way.
  • When the king died, it left two (half-)brothers in line for the throne. Knowing that the inheritance laws of the nation would inevitably lead to an unneeded and most likely bloody civil war, one of the brothers declares himself king while the other is out defending the border, partially because he believes that he's the better ruler of the two, but also because he does not want to have his brother killed. However, the other brother claims that the decision was unfair, as he was defending the border when he heard of his fathers death, and thus had no say in the matter. He also claims that he did more of the nations leg-work than his brother did, and it could have been possible to avoid a civil war if the two simply talked about the matter.
  • A generation earlier, the king was usurped by his brother, forcing the king and his child to go into hiding, while the brother lead a tyrannical reign until his death. His son, though bluntly admitting that what his father did was immoral and thus has no pride in him, refuses to give up the throne to his cousin, the rightful heir since the king had died in the meantime, and wishes to use the use the power that he's been given to undo the damage of his father. As for the claimant, even though their journey is similar to previous lords, their personality could vary wildly, having both great strengths and virtues, but also considerable (and potentially fatal) flaws.
  • In a kingdom that allows slavery, there is a slave girl working for the royal family. Greatly impressed by her intellect, wit, and managerial (and potentially combat) skills, and the fact that they have no children of their own, the King and Queen adopt her, much to the ire of another royal family, who had toiled greatly for years on end, even having lost some close friends and family to war, to become worthy of being the Kingdoms successor. When the fatal day came that the king and queen died, both sides took actions to ensure they would be come the kingdoms successors, and with the noble family appearing to have succeeded. However, both sides had gained support throughout the years, with the slave girl impressing many people with her intellect and leadership abilities, and for being a hope to many of slaves and common folk alike for having a ruler who wasn't of noble birth, while others would remember the great deeds, accomplishments, and sacrifices of the noble family that they can't help but admire them or feel as if they are indebted to them, which leads to a large scale conflict.

Anyway, I do want to see a more human-based conflict were neither side is particularly "good," but neither is either side fully "evil" either. There would be both noble and brave characters, as well as despicable and cowardly ones on both sides of the conflict, with the same critical hit quotes used on both sides occasionally. Also, no evil dragons (although I would be fine with a dragon serving the role of... well, The Dragon, in a similar vein to Darth Vader, except less blatantly evil) or evil cults hijacking the plot. That's been done to death both in this series, and in other media.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seeing how Breath of the Wild is so utterly unrecognizable as a Zelda game that nobody would ever be able to guess it was a Zelda game if all of the aesthetics and text were changed, I would very much not like to see this happen to Fire Emblem. I see no reason why a game should "re-invent" itself so thoroughly that everything fans love about it is gone, and it's only the fact that BotW was such an amazing game that this even remotely sounds like a good idea.

I would like the return of Light Magic and the return of the Griffin Riders in the following way: Pegasus: Flying Myrmadon/Swordmastar (fast and accurate, but fragilie) and a magical tank, Wyvern: Flying Armor/General (slow and powerful), phisical tahnks Griffin: Flying Mercenary/Hero (ballanced and versatile) doudge tank.