Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

3 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

People forget that he has very good res for a melee unit. Sure, my current build misses out on Durandal's DB 2 effect on player phase but I kinda offset that with his Atk boon to bait and counterkill mages on enemy phase with DC and DD. 

I recalled that. I was just really hung up on that DB2.

...I wonder if I will try Eliwood (promoted or otherwise) in that map...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JJ48 said:

Depends on what you mean by "unexpected".  If you mean someone who no one believed would be more popular, then sure.  If you mean an underdog, then I'd prefer not.

Im just trying to hold back my sadness of losing by being nice to the other contestants. tho if sophia was to appear out of nowhere that would be unexpected. but oh well.

I'm tempted to change the topic title to "Voting Gauntlet: The Salt of Dragons".

. . .but that's totally mod abuse. :P:

Regardless, this was worth playing.  I'm at rank 5,008, and I will not stand for that!

7 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

May the best dragon win

Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

We lost

Does this mean Nowi isn’t the best dragon? Because it does.

@eclipse: thanks for not abusing mod powers!

Edited by Vaximillian

Seems precious chicken Dragon is just not popular enough even with crazy multipliers.  Though honestly the fact that she almost won is bad considering the massive team size difference.  They need to tone down the bonuses, make it so being on the losing team helps you in overall ranking but will not make a team 6 times larger lose or almost lose to multipliers.

Bwahaha.. You know if the devs really wanted to have fun, they could do this like the Hunger Games. Everyone tries to get as many votes as possible for their character, and if they drop below a certain threshold, they get eliminated, and everyone gets a super loud push notification about it. (Firing canons could be optional.) No one knows how many votes that character has until they're eliminated. It's just a panic-induced race to keep your character's head above water.

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Regardless, this was worth playing.  I'm at rank 5,008, and I will not stand for that!

I'm in the 5000s, and I'm not sure if that counts the glitched 7.4x I managed to hit this hour.

If it doesn't, well...

1 minute ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Bwahaha.. You know if the devs really wanted to have fun, they could do this like the Hunger Games. Everyone tries to get as many votes as possible for their character, and if they drop below a certain threshold, they get eliminated, and everyone gets a super loud push notification about it. (Firing canons could be optional.) No one knows how many votes that character has until they're eliminated. It's just a panic-induced race to keep your character's head above water.

That actually sounds fun in a really twisted way... except for the bandwagoning that would ensue. Why must everything we love be ruined by bandwagoning?!?!

7 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Oh, very strategic.  Almost as "strategic" as rolling a die in D&D. 

Sigh, I never said "very". The whole thing, including the multipliers, is entirely controlled by the players. 

9 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Do tell how it was overconfidence that caused the losses.  What could the fans (as a whole) have done differently based on the information they had at the time?

They overshot at the "worst" time. Plain and simple. What could they have done? Determine if burning flags at that specific point was the right thing to do or not. From what I've seen so far, most people get their timing wrong due to how the "hours" are set up and that's how some of the "upsets" happened. 

@VaximillianSo you choose to remain salty. Okay then. 

11 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I'm genuinely shocked though at the trouble Young Tiki is having, especially against a character like Male Corrin with such a heavy stigma against.

Multipliers keep everything close, short of a 7:1 ratio.

2 minutes ago, Culpa said:

Seems precious chicken Dragon is just not popular enough even with crazy multipliers.  Though honestly the fact that she almost won is bad considering the massive team size difference.  They need to tone down the bonuses, make it so being on the losing team helps you in overall ranking but will not make a team 6 times larger lose or almost lose to multipliers.

A bit too popular for her own good in the last hour.

Just now, SageOfAnys said:

That actually sounds fun in a really twisted way... except for the bandwagoning that would ensue. Why must everything we love be ruined by bandwagoning?!?!

Yeah. Kinda sucks. I guess the only way to prevent bandwagoning is to offer different rewards for different teams. Or maybe different bonuses, etc. So Team Wrys would be just as appealing as Team Tharja. Totally won't happen, but a gal can dream. XD

4 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Better yet: if a character loses in the Voting Gauntlet, they're removed from the game entirely. They never return in any future games or Fire Emblem merch, even if their original game gets remade. Any investment that the player has put into that unit, any SI given... it's gone.

They're gone.

And it's all the player's fault.

2 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Sigh, I never said "very". The whole thing, including the multipliers, is entirely controlled by the players. 

They overshot at the "worst" time. Plain and simple. What could they have done? Determine if burning flags at that specific point was the right thing to do or not. From what I've seen so far, most people get their timing wrong due to how the "hours" are set up and that's how some of the "upsets" happened. 

@VaximillianSo you choose to remain salty. Okay then. 

Honestly, a lot of casuals actually just burn their flags as soon as they get them because like mentioned earlier, they don't know anything about multipliers and how they work, so they don't save.

And guess who makes up the majority of players?

Casuals.

There is literally no way to prevent this without mass coordination, and mass coordination is currently impossible.

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm tempted to change the topic title to "Voting Gauntlet: The Salt of Dragons".

Don't forget that Awakening had Naga's and Tiki's Tears as the ultimate permanent stat boosters and tonics respectively. No doubt the salt in those tears must contribute to their efficacy! No wonder Anna is consoling Fae right now. 

Man, spending flags at the start because I didn't knew about the multiplier changes really played a bad one on me.

I ended with a score of 999,251 which places me at 2,240 in Sophia's army and 13,078 on cumulative. I really need to step up my game next round.

1 minute ago, DefaultBeep said:

Better yet: if a character loses in the Voting Gauntlet, they're removed from the game entirely. They never return in any future games or Fire Emblem merch, even if their original game gets remade. Any investment that the player has put into that unit, any SI given... it's gone.

They're gone.

Ooh!  And it'll also hack all existing copies of the game to remove the character even from your old GBA cartridges or GameCube discs!

Hm...if we could get Camilla to lose under these rules, it may almost be worth it...

Re: Gauntlet Mechanics,

You can either have "match decided by a coin flip" or "popularity cruise control, predetermined winners".  The only interesting matches in either system are accidents rather than design. The Gaunlet isn't going to be a legitimate competition until they do away with team sizes and focus on performance.

Also, regarding secret voting, that would be even less of an interesting mode. Who would care about a sport where you can only see the ending?

I'm hoping Ninian wins, but I'll accept it of she loses to an upset. It's a silly, flawed game mode.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Don't forget that Awakening had Naga's and Tiki's Tears as the ultimate permanent stat boosters and tonics respectively. No doubt the salt in those tears must contribute to their efficacy! No wonder Anna is consoling Fae right now. 

If all this salt actually made Naga's Tears in-game, I would be rooting for every single upset.

Julia wants to be a juggernaut, dammit.

Well, I won't be able to play much until tomorrow evening, so I guess I won't be able to use most of my flags early tomorrow morning.

I ended with a score of 787,875 for a team rank of 3299 and total of 9845, pending whatever goes on in the last hour.  Looks like I should be safe below the 5K mark.

2 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

Honestly, a lot of casuals actually just burn their flags as soon as they get them because like mentioned earlier, they don't know anything about multipliers and how they work, so they don't save.

And guess who makes up the majority of players?

Casuals.

There is literally no way to prevent this without mass coordination, and mass coordination is currently impossible.

The mode itself is a mess but the developers keep tweaking it to see what works so I'll give them some credit for not scrapping it despite the mountains of salt.

5 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

They're gone.

Is it bad that the first thing I thought of when I saw that was how much of a controversy it would be if Leon lost a voting gauntlet with those rules?

3 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Also, regarding secret voting, that would be even less of an interesting mode. Who would care about a sport where you can only see the ending?

Who cares about this "sport" as it stands now?

Though admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of sports/competitions in general, so perhaps someone who cares about seeing any bit of them at all should weigh in.