Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

Just now, Rex Glacies said:

... Can I ask why you think he's so good? I understand some characters popularity (Chrom, Owain, Lucina... Tharja) but I never understood why people liked him.

Can I also add a question of Cordelia's popularity as a rider to this?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Why do I have to use Ike when I have Titania, Mia and Mist again? ...Oh, right. Same reason I used Alm in All-Girl SoV.

Well there's this teensy tiny little thing of some kind of minor importance some would hesitantly call it that only Ike can do:

Spoiler

Kill the final boss or else they revive infinitely! With Ragnell + Ike's base Str and promotion bonus, he can deal 1 damage to Ashera, it's impossible for Ike to not be able to harm her. And with a Blood Pool from Ena he can deal 6 damage. But, I don't think you want to have to try carefully whittling down 120 HP to just 6 or less. 

In the short run, 3-1 is a timed rout and you'll want the extra hand for sure since the last fight certainly didn't give enough EXP to promote Titania.

... Can I ask why you think he's so good? I understand some characters popularity (Chrom, Owain, Lucina... Tharja) but I never understood why people liked him.

The beach gauntlet was the first one I really participated in, so it holds a special place for me and I will eternally deny his loss. He had the capacity to win the entire gauntlet I believe, so it just makes his upset loss even more sore. Especially considering that he was bested by a random character from Awakening whom I accidentally killed in my first playthrough.

Don't worry I did too. I was really salty after his loss and was not fun to be around for a while and I went offline so I wouldn't end up having so much salt for everyone here.  Instead my brother heard my salt rant. I'd say you missed a lot previous gauntlets(some were better to miss though).  Like Ephraim vs Chrom was great but what I hated about it was a bunch of people accused Chrom people for cheating through it....not our finest moment, but hey it was an epic!  Mage Gauntlet I wrote poem/song/cheer almost daily for Leo and there was the birth of my Twin's dark side in which it pains me to speak about.  Then there was the healer gauntlet where "What a loser!" was Team Lissa's battle cry to defeat and more salt from me. The Gauntlets have had their ups and downs but I've enjoyed them except for me having enough salt to salt McDonald's fries.

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Why do I have to use Ike when I have Titania, Mia and Mist again? ...Oh, right. Same reason I used Alm in All-Girl SoV.

Well there's this teensy tiny little thing of some kind of minor importance some would hesitantly call it that only Ike can do:

Spoiler

Kill the final boss or else they revive infinitely! With Ragnell + Ike's base Str and promotion bonus, he can deal 1 damage to Ashera, it's impossible for Ike to not be able to harm her. And with a Blood Pool from Ena he can deal 6 damage. But, I don't think you want to have to try carefully whittling down 120 HP to just 6 or less. 

In the short run, 3-1 is a timed rout and you'll want the extra hand for sure since the last fight certainly didn't give enough EXP to promote Titania.

8 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

She's a great unit gameplay-wise. Her design + long flowing red hair. She's very diligent (maybe too diligent) and her perfectionist personality in a way can make her an ideal waifu I guess? (Very organised, on top of different tasks like weapon inventory and cleaning - I think she even tries to clean Gaius and his clothes in their support!)

She also has a bit of survivor's guilt which i felt could have been explored more in more supports.

I feel all of this gets overshadowed by the unrequited love thing for Chrom though, which leaves a bad taste in most S-supports for people.

As for Gaius, probably because he is a fun character with his nicknames but he also has good supports like with Chrom and Maribelle about what being streetwise and providing a contrast to the noble life. Also maybe his voice actor helps for some people. Again, the focus on candy may be too emphasised at times that it gets old.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Alm has the Royal Vault, which is why I compared them.

Ike's also got the Black Knight to kill in RD, which he doesn't need to in PoR (it's preferable he doesn't because I can use Ena but not Nasir). Ashnard in PoR I could cheese with a royal instead.

1 minute ago, mcsilas said:

She's a great unit gameplay-wise. Her design + long flowing red hair. She's very diligent (maybe too diligent) and her perfectionist personality in a way can make her an ideal waifu I guess? (Very organised, on top of different tasks like weapon inventory and cleaning - I think she even tries to clean Gaius and his clothes in their support!)

She also has a bit of survivor's guilt which i felt could have been explored more in more supports.

I feel all of this gets overshadowed by the unrequited love thing for Chrom though, which leaves a bad taste in most S-supports for people.

Sounds... agreeable, even if I don't.

25 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

For one thing, he's very attractive. I may not be gay (at least I don't think I am), but I can tell when a dude is my type, and Gaius is 100% it. Seeing him in the Summer banner made me much happier than I care to admit. His voice is also quite pleasing to the ear, in my opinion.

Otherwise, though, it's a bit of a combination of things. I feel that he's one of the less gimmicky characters in Awakening, which I know is very ironic to say considering his entire personality seems to be "candy". But his supports were pretty well balanced overall; I just skimmed through his supports (of which there are a lot), and there were a total of 3 that had sweets as any sort of main topic. Most of them revolve around his past as a thief, with particularly interesting conversations between himself and Chrom, and himself and Libra, both of whom are his opposite in some way. His support with Maribelle is also one of the few instances where two characters already have a history with each other, and it evolves into a surprisingly engaging story that ends with both characters having noticeable development (even if the support system kinda ruins that development). He comes across as an actual character with an actual reason for who he is and why he does what he does, which is more than can be said for a lot of the 3DS characters. I also just always like thief characters in games, as well as bow users, which Gaius can use in his Assassin promotion. I could probably go into more detail on his character, but I would have to spend time rereading his supports, because it's been a while since I've seen some of them in full.

On another note, I absolutely despise his "return" in Fates, because they took everything that was good about him in Awakening, and threw it away. Asugi (his Fates self) is obnoxious, obsessed with candy, and like many of the other children in Fates, he just comes across as a whiny brat who doesn't respect nor deserve any of the good things he somehow managed to get in his life. They even ruined his voice, which is impressive when most of the voiced dialogue is just a few words long.

Edit: @phineas81707 I can't speak for Cordelia fans, I've never really understood her popularity either. I like that she shares an English VA with another red-haired lance-wielding main-character-loving wings-on-head-having character (who I like more than Cordelia in most every way), but that's about it.

Edited by DefaultBeep

Team M!Corrin has caught up fast. Maybe if we play our cards right, we can win! I want a Corrin showdown. I know a lot of people hate the multiplier, but consider the multiplier a way of strategy: You don't want to go too up ahead, or you'll open up a window of opportunity for the Opponent. For example, Ninian had a landslide opening, but this allowed Male Corrin to open up with heavy modifiers ( Seriously, like one every hour. ) Instead of wasting your flags at the right time save it for the modifiers, right?

36 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

The multiplier itself is unchanged as far as I'm aware but the threshold for when it activates was changed. There now only needs to be somewhere around a 1% difference between the two teams for it to activate instead of 10%.

My bad, that's not what I meant. I was asking if they changed the way the score multiplier increases when a team has the lower score. So I'm on Corrin's team and I've noticed that his score multiplier increases each time I play. Like it was at 5x, then 5.1x, 5.2x and now it's at 5.3x. It's been increasing each match that I play. In previous VGs, the score multiplier would jump around with something like 3.7x to maybe a 5.3x or drop down to a 4.1x but it's been increasing at a consistent rate.

1 minute ago, tobuShogi said:

In previous VGs, the score multiplier would jump around with something like 3.7x to maybe a 5.3x or drop down to a 4.1x but it's been increasing at a consistent rate.

You misremember things. The multiplier has been rising every hour since the introduction of the scaling multiplier.

The later through the round, the bigger the multiplier.

My bad, that's not what I meant. I was asking if they changed the way the score multiplier increases when a team has the lower score. So I'm on Corrin's team and I've noticed that his score multiplier increases each time I play. Like it was at 5x, then 5.1x, 5.2x and now it's at 5.3x. It's been increasing each match that I play. In previous VGs, the score multiplier would jump around with something like 3.7x to maybe a 5.3x or drop down to a 4.1x but it's been increasing at a consistent rate.

That's because it's been appearing every hour. Every hour adds 0.1x to the multiplier, regardless if it's active. So when the multiplier is gone for multiple hours, it'll go up by more than 0.1x, but since it's been active every hour constantly, it just goes up by that 0.1x every time.

8 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

That's because it's been appearing every hour. Every hour adds 0.1x to the multiplier, regardless if it's active. So when the multiplier is gone for multiple hours, it'll go up by more than 0.1x, but since it's been active every hour constantly, it just goes up by that 0.1x every time.

I see. Has this been the case since the first VG? 

The multiplier has been introduced since the third gauntlet (mages, won by Tharja). The scaling multiplier has been introduced since the fourth gauntlet (clerics, won by Elise).

Just now, tobuShogi said:

Not the first VG, no. The first few VGs had no multiplier at all. When it was first introduced, the multiplier was always the same value whenever it was active (I think a 3.0x increase, but that could be wrong), and it wouldn't raise at all. The multiplier was only like that for one VG if I remember right, though; in the next one, it was changed to the current system, where the multiplier starts at a set value and then increases by a set amount every hour whether its active or not.

This dude has had a multiplier literally every single hour... Even if I wasn't going to be active, even if I wasn't invested in the gauntlet itself, joining him would have literally been STUPID easy feathers and no matter what time I logged on there would have been a chance for score. Meanwhile I was rank 30k in the last Ninian round and I'm in the 60ks because I missed the ONLY multiplier she had. When I play for feathers, the multipliers are scarce and it's hard to rank. When I play to win, every opponent has a million multipliers all day long.

Can't even lie. I'm really salty right now.

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Team M!Corrin has caught up fast. Maybe if we play our cards right, we can win! I want a Corrin showdown. I know a lot of people hate the multiplier, but consider the multiplier a way of strategy: You don't want to go too up ahead, or you'll open up a window of opportunity for the Opponent. For example, Ninian had a landslide opening, but this allowed Male Corrin to open up with heavy modifiers ( Seriously, like one every hour. ) Instead of wasting your flags at the right time save it for the modifiers, right?

I am still sitting on 1000 Flags (prolly like most other people) and waiting on the next Ninian multiplier... I highly doubt M!Corrin will win ¬.¬, they didnt catch up fast, I went to sleep and woke up and they are still behind from the last multiplier Ninian had lol unless i missed one when i was asleep

4 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

At the current rate, Ninian will get another multiplier in about 10+ hours, which M!Corrin won't be able to recover from.

Because of course it'll be while I'm unable to participate... (that, I think, would be while I'm asleep, but a while later and it'll be me being at uni.)

@Anime27Arts :D Hope he’s been putting good work in for you. I’ve been keeping him as lead since colourless seem to be scarce, but can always switch if needed. 

Your spring Chrom hasn’t showed up yet ;^; I really hope he does before this round ends. 

4 hours ago, DefaultBeep said:

For one thing, he's very attractive. I may not be gay (at least I don't think I am), but I can tell when a dude is my type, and Gaius is 100% it. Seeing him in the Summer banner made me much happier than I care to admit. His voice is also quite pleasing to the ear, in my opinion.

Otherwise, though, it's a bit of a combination of things. I feel that he's one of the less gimmicky characters in Awakening, which I know is very ironic to say considering his entire personality seems to be "candy". But his supports were pretty well balanced overall; I just skimmed through his supports (of which there are a lot), and there were a total of 3 that had sweets as any sort of main topic. Most of them revolve around his past as a thief, with particularly interesting conversations between himself and Chrom, and himself and Libra, both of whom are his opposite in some way. His support with Maribelle is also one of the few instances where two characters already have a history with each other, and it evolves into a surprisingly engaging story that ends with both characters having noticeable development (even if the support system kinda ruins that development). He comes across as an actual character with an actual reason for who he is and why he does what he does, which is more than can be said for a lot of the 3DS characters. I also just always like thief characters in games, as well as bow users, which Gaius can use in his Assassin promotion. I could probably go into more detail on his character, but I would have to spend time rereading his supports, because it's been a while since I've seen some of them in full.

Edit: @phineas81707 I can't speak for Cordelia fans, I've never really understood her popularity either.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with Gaius for me. He's still one of my favourite overall characters, personally. I think the only difference is I don't mind Asugi as much, but mostly 'cos I do see him as younger and more bratty so I sort of expect him to round out as he gets a bit older. Gaius >>>> Asugi for sure, though.

One of my own favourite supports is him and Panne. It starts off about sweets, but is quite funny, and I like how he actually makes an effort to understand about her and her people, which also means a fair bit to her.

And I think I can maybe understand some of Cordelia's popularity, though she does little for me. I can't always see what makes her popular over other females, though >.< (although I have read several reasons, which seems fine).

Edited by Cute Chao

48 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with Gaius for me. He's still one of my favourite overall characters, personally. I think the only difference is I don't mind Asugi as much, but mostly 'cos I do see him as younger and more bratty so I sort of expect him to round out as he gets a bit older. Gaius >>>> Asugi for sure, though.

One of my own favourite supports is him and Panne. It starts off about sweets, but is quite funny, and I like how he actually makes an effort to understand about her and her people, which also means a fair bit to her.

And I think I can maybe understand some of Cordelia's popularity, though she does little for me. I can't always see what makes her popular over other females, though >.< (although I have read several reasons, which seems fine).

I think it's also because, it may be superficial, but she's a beautiful yet strong unit in Awakening. Perfectly delivered by her voice actors, she's a strong female character in battle that kicks butt. Strong but still very feminine compared to Sully for example (although imo, Cherche has the right balance). 

She's perfectionist and has many talents but she also has faults and insecurities (from working herself to exhaustion to unfortunately more anime-esque tropes) but sometimes the whole prodigy thing may not be a thing that some people can connect to. Personally some bits I connect to based on past experiences but that's just me. I guess it just depends on the person, but at least she's more normal/accessible (?) as a female character compared to say, Panne, Nowi, Maribelle, Miriel or Tharja who can be extreme in their personalities/quirks. Personally, I like Cherche the most, with Miriel also being funny but also I love intelligent characters maybe it's the megane.  But yeah Cordelia is a safe design/personality-wise for a female character in Awakening that people may prefer (compared to say, Sumia's over-the-top clumsiness for example). Actually I think Cordelia is the only non-clumsy Sheperd pegasus knight, so if people like Peg Knights they might flock to her.

And wow Tiki finally getting multipliers again. It has been a while, and I was itching to use some feathers at least for this round.

Edited by mcsilas

4 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Miriel 

I am a big fan of Miriel. Her scientific approach and love of experimentation are what sold her to me. She is a big nerd, and I find myself a nerd too. The nerd-type characters (Canas, Lute, Miriel, Lutier) all have huge pluses in my book.

And the glasses too, can’t forget the glasses.