Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

Mixed feelings about the whole VG mode after this turn.  Looking at the numbers very clearly showed Corrin taking the win.  The difference in expected vs actual vote turnout for that last hour is so large that its borderline unbelievable.  I fully wanted Ninian to win by the way.  But this victory seems so off to me.  Added spoiler tag for rant about my view on how the VG has progressed.

Spoiler

This VG has been my worst feather gains round, mostly because I kept missing Ninian's few multipliers.  Being popular and competing with so many other players for ranking, getting much much fewer multipliers to increase your ranking, only to have the entire bonus feathers come down to pure luck in the last few hours, it all makes being on the popular team very unappealing.  I suppose the original way without multipliers was very similar, but at least playing consistently netted you a solid overall ranking.  Now I can't even get that without those 7.5 multipliers.

Thinking back to which gauntlets I enjoyed the most, I can definitely see the consistent trend of the multiplier decreasing my enjoyment with the game mode with each new change.  I really miss the Wyvern Riders vs Pegasus Riders, as I really enjoyed supporting Beruka first round (even without any multipliers to boost my overall score).  I had fun trying to overcome Subaki's narrow lead.  Then I had to make the hard choice between one of my all-time favorite character's employer, and another character that I really liked.  Now its just.... indifference.  And it's not as those the characters being added to the VG's are uninteresting, far from it.  There's just too much added nonsense that comes from the multipliers.

I really want to see the next Chrom vs Ephraim.  I really wanted to see Ike vs Lyn, final round clash of champions.  Neither of those will happen with the multipliers now.  Especially since multipliers trigger at a mere 1% difference in score.

For ways to possibly make it better, I'd suggest more polls about character popularity.  Take a wide group of characters and introduce a gauntlet with characters of similar popularity.  I'd also want to add another layer of fights (bringing the total participants to 16), to create more chances for equal popular characters to clash.  That may not work as well as it does in my mind though.  Also I'd really like to see one more level of rewards for the actual characters who win these things (not the players, the actual character) via alternate outfits like the CYL winners.  I think that would help even out some of the participants going towards their more well liked characters (and hoping to win their favorite character a special costume).

I just wanted to get some of these thoughts off my chest, and hope I didn't offend anyone with my opinion on the VG.

Short version:  I miss the old VG's.

Edited by KatarinaCS1

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The character that actually should have won, won. So that's good, y'know, how it's supposed to be.

Had I chose any other character but Ninian, my gains probably would have been pretty great. As it stands I was rank 5.6k and around 50k total rank. Got a pretty low feather count overall around 5k-7k. But you know, it was nice seeing a character from my era actually win one of these after the salt from Lyn losing the CYL gauntlet.

Anyways. Peace.

34 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

To be quite frank, I don't care what the hell IS will do with this mode. If you take it remotely seriously you'll end up becoming a salt mine because of a million reasons. No multiplier "Waaah, they put my character against the most popular/waifu/whatever IS is to blame", multiplier and "Waaah, my favorite character got screwed/won due to BS/Didn't won despite BS/Won despite BS". Look, I know this whole game mode is flawed and IS really needs to consider changing the name because trying to pass it as a popularity contest isn't helping. 

I only want a mode to use the units of people on my friends list and get some rewards while doing it.

I certainly would be all for the VG concepts getting re-purposed into something else.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Did anyone get my Bridelia the last round?

I mostly got Greil Ike and Robin.

I kept getting your Bridelia. Made me wish she came as I waded through colourless hell.

@DefaultBeep I channeled my inner Miriel and did it for science.

To be fair, I should have gone Team Ninian so my overall ranking wouldn't have tanked (and my timezone was better for the Ninian multipliers anyway). Too many multipliers in Corrin meant I was mostly last until the final multipliers.

Also I didn't have a Level 1 Ninian in that account and I wasn't ready for fighting against lv 40 teams with 2 Ninians on my side thanks to random Ninian allies

I managed to get a nice amount of feathers by just exploiting ranking on the losing teams but something I really don't like about VG is how EU players are pretty much screwed to rank high because all the bonus rounds occur when people should be asleep. It's not exactly fair to be honest, but maybe that's not the point anyway.

Now I should start using my close to 80k feathers...

28 minutes ago, pullofthebush said:

I managed to get a nice amount of feathers by just exploiting ranking on the losing teams but something I really don't like about VG is how EU players are pretty much screwed to rank high because all the bonus rounds occur when people should be asleep. It's not exactly fair to be honest, but maybe that's not the point anyway.

Now I should start using my close to 80k feathers...

well it screws us over, but we have a fairly small playerbase compared to Asia and Amerika, so in a sense its our own fault. In all honesty tough i wish VG would be gone and replaced with something different. Several Map challenges that consist of your unit + 3 Friend units you can pick, something like that.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The current Ninian v. Corrin match was about close to the literal coin flip analogy as you can possibly get. The projected scores based on performance trends were so close coming into the last hour that the result was literally left up to chance as to if each team had enough flags remaining to pull out a victory. The fact that Ninian won this Gauntlet was sheer dumb luck.

Strange as it sounds, I prefer it like this!  There are some things in life I like being able to predict.  A popularity contest isn't one of them.

3 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

WOOT!!! VENGEANCE IS MINE!

I won my bet against @eclipse

GG every1.

Oh, really?

Spoiler

9gCpaKs.jpg

HU170Q4.jpg

This is the first gauntlet where I finished all the flag missions, and burned all of my flags.  So I'd say that it was a success, in terms of my /effort.

Final round score: 1,222,191
Total score: 2,719,391

And one last bit of amusement from the gauntlet itself:

Spoiler

P59SBGA.jpg

Believe it or not, this was mostly solo'd by one unit.  And if your guess is Azura, it's wrong.

I really enjoy how swingy the gauntlet is - definitely the most fun I've had~!

Edited by eclipse

14 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Oh, really?

Reveal hidden contents

9gCpaKs.jpg

HU170Q4.jpg

This is the first gauntlet where I finished all the flag missions, and burned all of my flags.  So I'd say that it was a success, in terms of my /effort.

Final round score: 1,222,191
Total score: 2,719,391

And one last bit of amusement from the gauntlet itself:

Reveal hidden contents

P59SBGA.jpg

Believe it or not, this was mostly solo'd by one unit.  And if your guess is Azura, it's wrong.

I really enjoy how swingy the gauntlet is - definitely the most fun I've had~!

Aw damn, my rank was 19,028 & my total rank was 29,572.

Geez not even close. Should have known better that I could a beat mod.    :/

This somehow means I wasn't able to have as much fun or feathers. Somehow

Edited by Zangetsu

Wow, that ending. Great job Ninian ! Hooray for victory !

Well, that was an interesting gauntlet for me. Going for M!Corrin at the beginning was a nice idea.

Total rank : 36.566. Almost 2M points. The fact it's 3/4AM for me when it comes for final hours can't permit me to score the max points I can.

Edited by Ledrert

12 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Aw damn, my rank was 19,028 & my total rank was 29,572.

Geez not even close. Should have known better that I could a beat mod.    :/

This somehow means I wasn't able to have as much fun or feathers. Somehow

It's all relative~!  I wanted to give it my all, so I did.  Completely out of flags, and the final round I did was just Corrin poking at things for whatever the multiplier was.

Regardless, "fun" is what you make of it.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

It's all relative~!  I wanted to give it my all, so I did.  Completely out of flags, and the final round I did was just Corrin poking at things for whatever the multiplier was.

Regardless, "fun" is what you make of it.

Oh no, this was the most fun I had with the Gauntlet since the very 1st one. Granted it was mostly because Lucina won by a landslide but it also had Chrom VS Emphraim.

Spoilered for gauntlet criticisms.

Spoiler

Meh... I didn't even really play during the final. I think I've finally just grown bored of the gauntlet, and don't care anymore. The multiplier just makes it seem incredibly pointless, and the fact that you need to login during a big multiplier to get a good score makes no sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I get that there are people who really enjoy it now, as the matches are actually close, and it's great that there are people who can enjoy it... But the matches are all relatively close and it couldn't feel more artificial. I'm glad that Ninian won, but when I went to bed two hours from the end, seeing that Corrin had the multiplier with an enormous gap, I knew she'd narrow it significantly, if not overtake Ninian. In what world, though, does it makes sense to see someone clearly losing and rightly predict that they have a highly likely chance at turning things around? It's like the blue shell in Mario Kart, mixed with the rubber banding mechanics in racing games, and it doesn't feel good. Anyway, no need to worry about me being salty in the future gauntlets, because with every change making the gauntlet, in my opinion, worse, I just don't really care to fully engage myself with them, anymore, as it is. I mean, unless they introduce Maribelle into the game and make one with her, that is.

Edited by Frenzify

Man I remember going to bed when the last hour started and expecting Ninian to lose because of Corrin's multiplier.

This is the second time I was surprised to wake up and see the victory feathers award. It was a pretty fun first gauntlet experience. 

I didn't get to do too much of the VG because of I was a little busy, but the feathers I could from this will get me to 60,000 by the end of the arena season so I'm quite happy. I'm also glad Ninian won, I figured she would but you can never tell with the VG.

It was obvious from the start that Ninian had more support. She earned that win. Corrin struggled the whole round so to get a narrow win just from the last multiplier would have been the new biggest upset. Glad it didn't happen.

The multiplier system has got to be tweaked before the next gauntlet. 

4 hours ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I wonder where Eliwood will be taking his waifu for dinner to celebrate the special occasion?  Will Roy, Hector, and Lilina be joining them?

(Serra crashes the party, of course).

Ninian and Eliwood are finally going to have that nice chicken dinner they've been preparing since round 1.

8 hours ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I wonder where Eliwood will be taking his waifu for dinner to celebrate the special occasion?  Will Roy, Hector, and Lilina be joining them?

(Serra crashes the party, of course).

Why would Eliwood throw a dinner for someone in another dimension? The last time he took his wife on a night out was when she lost in the first round to a succubus.

And Serra wouldn't crash the dinner anyhow, she'd beg Hector to let her come, feigning her real inner insecurity.

18 hours ago, mcsilas said:

I kept getting your Bridelia. Made me wish she came as I waded through colourless hell.

@DefaultBeep I channeled my inner Miriel and did it for science.

To be fair, I should have gone Team Ninian so my overall ranking wouldn't have tanked (and my timezone was better for the Ninian multipliers anyway). Too many multipliers in Corrin meant I was mostly last until the final multipliers.

Also I didn't have a Level 1 Ninian in that account and I wasn't ready for fighting against lv 40 teams with 2 Ninians on my side thanks to random Ninian allies

Did you ever get mine?  lol