Fire Emblem Warriors sells almost 60k units in its first week

Thane

There are a number of factors to consider with FE:W that you can't say that just because it sold less then HW that means it's a flop. Theoretically Koei/Nintendo could've taken into account aspects like FE having less popularity then Zelda or the decreasing sales of the Musou genre and lowered their bar. Until we get something like the sellthrough rate, saying the game flopped is just speculation, theoretically it could've done well for what either company were expecting out of it. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Fireball260 @The DanMan The comment I made about GFAQs was a joke; for whatever badness there is in SF, GameFAQs is at least a hundred times worse, and lacking credibility is certainly one of their issues.

But I mean... some people even on here seem doubtful, so that's part of what makes me a little suspicious.

For what it's worth, it doesn't sound like it fell under par for a Musou spin-off.  I don't know what Nintendo expects out of this game, so I won't project any of my thoughts on them.  Though I will say that Nintendo seems to have a rather tentative relationship with the 3rd party devs they work with, which I'm sure doesn't work in KT's favor here.

Spoiler

Doesn't really work in Nintendo's favor either, but that's none of my business :rolleyes:

If this is how well Warriors games tend to sell, how are they still in business?

At any rate, this is less than half of the sales of the last Fire Emblem game's first week if we use the same source. And Echoes is only available for one system - the outdated one. Obviously Echoes and Warriors are not the same type of game, but I will say this number doesn't impress me, especially with how well the Switch has been performing in Japan.

12 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

If this is how well Warriors games tend to sell, how are they still in business?

At any rate, this is less than half of the sales of the last Fire Emblem game's first week if we use the same source. And Echoes is only available for one system - the outdated one. Obviously Echoes and Warriors are not the same type of game, but I will say this number doesn't impress me, especially with how well the Switch has been performing in Japan.

They've been using the same game engine since 2010/11.

DW8 sold over 200k at launch in Japan, at least. Overall, the Warriors series has been on decline in that region while getting more popular in Europe. But Japanese wise, things look pretty average overall (it's outsold every crossover released in recent years besides HW).

Edited by The DanMan

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, One Piece Musou 2 (2015) sold 400k in its first week.

Okay, hadn't seen it mentioned. And looking at things, the Pirate Warriors games have abnormally high sales for Warriors games in Japan, period. 

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, One Piece Musou 2 (2015) sold 400k in its first week.

One piece is also a giant in Japan.  It's not comparable considering how many merchandise, the ads and the popularity of the IP is.

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Okay, hadn't seen it mentioned. And looking at things, the Pirate Warriors games have abnormally high sales for Warriors games in Japan, period. 

That it does.

I hope KT sees this and tries to make their Musou games more difficult, but perhaps it's a bit too late to save their rep.

@kingddd I wasn't trying to say anything other than FEW didn't outsell every crossover.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 hour ago, Sol Hiryu said:

Also, keep in mind that sales being good for a musou game is damning by faint praise. Nintendo likely set expectations to be on par with HW, so underperforming that threshold is not good.

Because it released on both Switch and 3DS at the same time, it also likely needs more sales than HW's initial expectations too.

It sold exclusively for the New 3DS, not the 3DS in general, so I doubt there are all that high expectations for that version. Most people who have a 3DS aren't going to buy the new one when it can't play that many more games than the regular 3DS. I really don't see the logic in people thinking that FEW sales need to be on par with that of HW.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

> People here say almost 60k is good

> People on GameFAQs say that it's a flop

Which is it?

In all seriousness, I'm glad we at least have an actual number instead of that dubious percentage from last week.  I just wish I myself could discern whether ~60k units sold is a good thing or not in Japan.

well we're judging the sales of a video game from on a newely released game system that has supply issues, and Japan is an island, they're no where near the US in terms of population.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Wow, it sold double that of #FE...

at least Atlus was nice about about it, and didn't come up some poorly explained excuse for the choice in characters

and because the focus was on the characters from the real world it wasn't in your face about it

Whatever keeps KT afloat is good. I'm in no position to say whether the numbers are awful or superb or in between. Hopefully the close to HW sales is a positive sign. Does anyone know the total number of Switches and N3DSes sold in Japan?

On the population front, Japan is over 120 million. For North America, the US is over 300 mill, Canada is over 30 mil, and Mexico is about the same as Japan. Just to put things in perspective.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Wow, it sold double that of #FE...

*Cries*

The PR nightmare was short-lived with TMS though, it only came right at the beginning, no hypocrisy was involved. There was the "we just agreed to making this game yesterday" clip of still artwork, and then there came the J-Pop explosion (which I admit I was foaming in the mouth over at the time). After the Illusory Revelations came to be, the PR was honest about what the game was, and it actually had a playable Armor Knight- a cute one with a daring color scheme at that.

Lovely.

What we don't know is whether Nintendo sees this as a FE game or a Musou one.  While KT might be happy, it'll require Nintendo's cooperation for a sequel.

Oh well, looks like a lot of people missed out on an amazing game in TMS because of. . .whatever.  I, for one, will still give this game a shot.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whatever keeps KT afloat is good. I'm in no position to say whether the numbers are awful or superb or in between. Hopefully the close to HW sales is a positive sign. Does anyone know the total number of Switches and N3DSes sold in Japan?

Switch is at around 1,78 million. N-3DS at around 6 million. 

GAF's weekly sales thread has all the details: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1442792&page=1

50-150k sales is generally a healthy amount for first-week Japanese sales and we already have confirmation of a Western release, so there's nothing to actually be concerned about. The only real hiccup is Nintendo's willingness to work on a sequel, but I suspect we were never getting one of those anyway, since all talk of a sequel came from KT who has no real say in the matter.

From what I gather the sales are decidedly average, at least in Japan, so that's a give or take. I'm a little worried though. I have a bad feeling it'll likely be worse in the Americas and elsewhere for that matter.

Was the fan response as divided in Japan as it was in America? 

I think it sold pretty decently considering the decline in sales of recent warriors games in japan. Just hope nintendo didn't expect it to do gangbusters (which I doubt if they have any business sense at all).

4 hours ago, Sol Hiryu said:

Also, keep in mind that sales being good for a musou game is damning by faint praise. Nintendo likely set expectations to be on par with HW, so underperforming that threshold is not good.

Because it released on both Switch and 3DS at the same time, it also likely needs more sales than HW's initial expectations too.

It's underperforming by a relatively small amount though. Also comparing Zelda to FE is just wrong even in Japan.

Honestly, FE is still kind of a niche series. Only the 3DS games have made it somewhat big but its still nothing top tier like Pokemon or one piece. Seriously the series doesn't even have the name recognition of Zelda. I'd have been shocked if this game sold the same or better than hyule warriors.

I feel like expectations for FE are a little overboard by western fans. *cough*

Also, its unclear how many copies need to be sold for a sequel to be greenlight because many musou games are not selling great and yet they are still pumping out games.

Edited by wissenschaft

Anyone who thinks this was a success is deluding themselves. 60 k is absolutely abysmal.

Hyrule Warriors on a single failing platform in a region where Zelda is less popular than FE sold more than this game which launched on the hot cake selling Switch and the ubiquitous 3DS. Let that sink in.

It's almost pitiful how terrible this game did, but I can't say I'm surprised, IS/Koei really betrayed their fans with their roster choices.

30 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

Anyone who thinks this was a success is deluding themselves. 60 k is absolutely abysmal.

And anyone who takes you seriously is as idiotic as you. 

I hear Gamefaqs has want for people like yourself.

60k is average btw, people like myself expected much less.

Edited by Jedi

34 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

Hyrule Warriors on a single failing platform in a region where Zelda is less popular than FE sold more than this game which launched on the hot cake selling Switch and the ubiquitous 3DS. Let that sink in.

It's almost pitiful how terrible this game did, but I can't say I'm surprised, IS/Koei really betrayed their fans with their roster choices.

The next time you come in here, make a very contrary and inflammatory response, and leave, will be grounds for an equally unsubstantiated suspension.

Cool it.

36 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

Some would say it's also deluding oneself to think a game's sales were "absolutely abysmal" just because they think a vocal minority is the entirety of a fanbase. ?

FEW didn't make record-breaking sales, who cares. A hundred thousand copies sold is pretty much reserved for the most promoted and esteemed IPs. "Absolutely abysmal" would be like a thousand copies.

60 thousand is a lot, better than some Warriors first week sales (like Berserk). Hell, imagine 60 thousand anythings in a room with you and try to tell me it isn't a lot. 

We've had enough negativity surrounding this game. It's out now, people are enjoying it, let the hate rest.