Fire Emblem Warriors sells almost 60k units in its first week

Thane

1 hour ago, Dandee Leone said:

Anyone who thinks this was a success is deluding themselves. 60 k is absolutely abysmal.

Hyrule Warriors on a single failing platform in a region where Zelda is less popular than FE sold more than this game which launched on the hot cake selling Switch and the ubiquitous 3DS. Let that sink in.

It's almost pitiful how terrible this game did, but I can't say I'm surprised, IS/Koei really betrayed their fans with their roster choices.

iJEONoo.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, you.  Are you reading this.  Yes?

READ THE CODE OF CONDUCT.

I need to go shopping, and the last thing I want to do is hand out more warnings when I come back.  I haven't broken my record for most warns in one topic, but it's fast approaching.  So please don't break some small rule-or-other.  Thanks.

Yes, I read the post. Sorry for being inflammatory or whatever. 

I just think that folks here aren't realizing the severity of this. If this does bad in the West and does not sell in Japan in consecutive weeks (due to Warriors games being frontloaded), what are we expecting, like 150 K sales worldwide? 

How is that even decent?

I genuinely think NoA has given up on this game since Odyssey will sell like gangbusters anyways. They won't advertise it much, mark my words.

I'll try not to be so incendiary again.

Edited by Dandee Leone

Ok, ok, back on topic.

Anyway. The sales of fire emblem echos in the first week was only 131,668. Around the same as the DS remakes. This spin off game got less then half of that which honestly probably should be expected. Outside of the 3DS games, FE doesn't sell in huge numbers and certainly not in its first week.

Edited by wissenschaft

3 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

I just think that folks here aren't realizing the severity of this. If this does bad in the West and does not sell in Japan in consecutive weeks (due to Warriors games being frontloaded), what are we expecting, like 150 K sales worldwide? 

How is that even decent?

I genuinely think NoA has given up on this game since Odyssey will sell like gangbusters anyways. They won't advertise it much, mark my words.

Okay, what exactly constitutes "good" numbers?  What games have reached those numbers?  And specifically, what MUSOU games reached those numbers, since FE:W is not a AAA game?

3 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

I just think that folks here aren't realizing the severity of this. If this does bad in the West and does not sell in Japan in consecutive weeks (due to Warriors games being frontloaded), what are we expecting, like 150 K sales worldwide

How is that even decent?

I think you're being ridiculously pessimistic. It's not lighting any charts on fire but it'll sell more than 150k in Japan alone.

Just now, eclipse said:

Okay, what exactly constitutes "good" numbers?  What games have reached those numbers?  And specifically, what MUSOU games reached those numbers, since FE:W is not a AAA game?

I mean, the biggest thing in my mind? 150 k - 200 k compared to Hyrule Warriors' 1.1 million. What incentive could Nintendo possibly have to make a sequel when if FE doesn't sell they can just make HW 2, Mario Warriors, Pokemon Warriors, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

I mean, the biggest thing in my mind? 150 k - 200 k compared to Hyrule Warriors' 1.1 million. What incentive could Nintendo possibly have to make a sequel when if FE doesn't sell they can just make HW 2, Mario Warriors, Pokemon Warriors, etc. 

Did Hyrule Warriors sell 1.1 million in the first week?  Or is this worldwide numbers?  I think it's reasonable to expect the FE version to sell less than the Zelda one, since the latter is more easily recognized IMO.  I'm also positive that Nintendo knows this.  Fire Emblem's definitely more popular than it was six years ago, but it's still not a household name.

In the end, it's up to Koei regarding whether or not they want to make it.  Pokemon Warriors would be extremely tough - if FE got the flak it did for its roster, what kind of reaction do you think a Pokemon game would have?

19 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

It actually depends on the company's expectations. The reasons so many Musou games are produced is likely company (probably publisher) demand that a certain number of games be made in a time frame. Such as 1 game per year that the castlevania games had during the GBA/DS era.

I mean, is there any sign of a Hyurle warrior 2 being made anytime soon? And yet it sales were pretty darn high for a Muzou game. And yet the relatively low sales of dynasty warrior chronicles didn't stop game 2 and 3 from being made. I think Nintendo might be looking at the profit from all the games as a total rather than indiviual sales because combine the profit is pretty good.

Its kind of hard to predict what Koei and Nintendo will do regardless of sales.

Another way to look at it is if the US first week sales are the same, that pushes the number above 100,000. which is not terrible. I wouldn't hold my breath for a sequel but just look are HW, high sales is no guarantee of a sequel anytime soon. On the brightside, above 100k sales means the planned DLC are unlikely to be canceled. I know other Muzou games have had planned dlc canceled but those games were limited to japan, which limits their sales potential.

Edited by wissenschaft

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Pokemon Warriors would be extremely tough - if FE got the flak it did for its roster, what kind of reaction do you think a Pokemon game would have?

They did make Pokemon Conquest (which was okay- it's lacking as a SRPG though). But doing a full fledged Musou? Expectations for everyone's favorite would be much lower because there are so many more Pokemon, and since we have Pokken (not a Koei game, but it's a fighter, kinda close), we have an idea of what they'd include. Mewtwo, Pikachu, Charizard, a slew of other starters and legendaries with a few others selected for typing or interesting combat tossed it.

By the way, I think Pokemon, Smash, and Mario Warriors are all bad ideas. If Pokemon Musou had the player using trainers instead of just Pokemon with movesets based around summoning and returning Pokemon, that could be intriguingly different though. Give each trainer (some OCs, others Villain leaders, Gym Leaders, Elite Four, other notables) say 3-4 Pokemon (Lance would pack a Dragonite, Charizard, Gyarados, and Aerodactyl) and include some Pokefield armor that prevents the trainers from being actually hurt when attacked, and that could be fun. I doubt it'd ever happen though, too much effort and too much promoting violence to humans.

21 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

As was pointed out before, in the first week HW sold 69k in Japan. FEW is doing a little worse, but nothing terribly so.

6 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:
  Hide contents

Real Estate

...I'm still trying to piece together the whole idea about Fire Emblem being the Metroid of Japan while Metroid's the Fire Emblem, from wherever I heard it.

You got that backwards. Fire emblem is the Metroid of the west (USA) while Metroid is the fire emblem of Japan. Thats because fire emblem has traditionally sold more in japan and Metroid has sold more in the west.

Edited by wissenschaft

13 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Wow, it sold double that of #FE...

........That hurts me more than it should have & I didn't even touch the game.

3 hours ago, TrueDarkAce said:

iJEONoo.jpg

AAAAAYYYYYYY, Bleach

Anyways, I hope the game does well enough over here. Especially since it going against Mario Odyssey!

Who the hell decide that was a good idea to compete with yourself!? Especially since that's exactly what happen with Radiant Dawn against Mario Galaxy!

Regular mainstay warriors games have much stronger opening weeks with the weakest being around 185k iirc
Higher probably in the 700ks, this is just Japan.
One of the most popular musou games was DW4 and that sold about 1.1 million in 9 days (in Japan)
Warriors games tend to sell fairly well in the west as well usually matching the sales of Japan or higher
Hopefully the west can try boost these figures. My guess is that the Switch being fairly new doesn't have tons of titles which people feel the need to go out and buy one. Heck i'm still waiting for FE:W to come out before i even grab one

Best comparison i can draw is DW6 which was originally a PS3 exclusive but flopped pretty hard because the system was so new. (as well as other huge system changes not for the better)

Edited by Tsak

7 hours ago, Florete said:

This topic reminds me why I prefer to stay away from sales discussions. All this heat and for what? At the end none of us really know if this is good or bad.

Pretty much. That and you have a lot of people without a single idea of how business and markets work, talking about how it was either a failure or a success. A whole lot of people talking about nothing really.

For all the people that keep criticizing the roster and blaming it for the sales of the game, I'd be curious to see just how much of a flop it might have been had they catered to non-3DS FE fans instead of what we got.

Outside of the echo chambers that most of the online FE communities are, a lot of the current fans don't care about any characters not from Awakening, Fates, or have appeared in Smash. (barring maybe Lyn) Aside a couple like Ike and Roy missing (and who knows, they could be individual DLCs still), I think the roster wasn't too bad if aiming for the overall casual fanbase which is still largely 3DS game-based.

I'd more so blame the bad PR leading up to release and the game just not looking as appealing to a lot of people. Not to mention that the jump in genre from FE gameplay to a musou. Now, I'm not gonna say if I agree that the sales are awful or not. They do look really low, but I don't follow how musou games do to tell how bad or decent this is. Going by the last few pages, it seems the jury's still out on that as well.

I'll say that when I first saw footage of the game I thought it looked like a cheap FE cash in, and with less quality than HW. But watching more of it I grew more interested and will probably pick it up for some simple fun. But I can see how a lot of people could have had a similar first impression and didn't go past that.(and again, this is aside from the roster complaints, I just mean how the game looked period)

4 hours ago, Tolvir said:

That and you have a lot of people without a single idea of how business and markets work, talking about how it was either a failure or a success.

And that's precisely why I choose to not have an opinion on this sales number.  I strongly feel that most who either say it's a success or a failure so adamantly are projecting their own opinions on their analysis without any factual backing, throwing around numbers they barely understand to make things seem better or worse and omitting certain facts or sources behind these numbers.  I don't even know who'll get to decide if FEW gets a sequel, so the little I did have to say in that regard was pure conjecture, and I'll at least admit that as well as the fact that I have no idea what 60k units sold in Japan means for FEW.

All I can do is just hope that these sales will be good enough to spur a sequel, as I like the ideas behind the game and it looks fun.

Not surprising and at the same time, not that bad....but I did expected it to perform something like this when...

1. The game hardly had any kind of marketing whatsoever.
  2. Unlike the other Fire Emblem games that had a lot of explanation in just ONE direct, this game hardly explained its mechanics to anyone. The only way you'd know what's going on is when you see footage of the game and even then, its still a puzzle.
  3. The game has either mediocre/terrible graphics. When looking at it, it can't even look as good as even the CGI of Awakening & Fates. Graphics aren't my thing but I know it matters to many.
  4. The roster was just not what was planned earlier. So far, besides Lyn, there's not much to be seen for this game.

12 hours ago, Tsak said:

Warriors games tend to sell fairly well in the west as well usually matching the sales of Japan or higher

The west still has a massive stigma against Musou games however.

22 minutes ago, RedRob said:

Really?  What for?

For being "Repetitive, pretty much yearly games that are all the exact same" Mind you thats not true but its something that has stuck around for quite some time, and people bring down anyone who defends them such as Jim Sterling (although I still don't agree with him mostly on anything else). What I had meant to word earlier was that he was someone people targeted about it but I worded it so hilariously badly ugh. This is why I don't type after waking up.

Omega Force (The branch of Koei in charge of Warriors). has been stated to be the Japanese equivalent to EA in the most extreme of cases.

Edited by Jedi