The dumbest thing that you said about Fire Emblem

Just now, DolphinDingus said:

Wait... were you disappointed that it was a sequel to PoR, and you didn't know the story? Or that you straight up didn't like the game? Or... some other reason? Because I really like RD, and I'm wondering how being excited for it was one of the dumbest things you said about FE...

Well, it probably didn't help that I thought PoR would have been absolutely fine as a stand alone game, but I was still excited for a sequel regardless. At the time I liked PoR more than I do today. I was mostly just excited for a new FE game, however, and I bought it on release day.

Turns out it was one of the few games I had to force myself to finish (and only did finish by virtue of it being FE). I can see why people like it, but to say it wasn't my cup of tea is an understatement.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Ests are good (I still use them some of the time for fun though)

2. Jeigans need to be benched as soon as resonably possible.

3. Most prepromotes are bad

4. Base Archers are really good units 

5. FE 10 is a bad game because is it different (no seriously I just hated the game because of the chapter structure) 15 & 4 were saved from a similar fate because I opened my mind by the time I played them.

Edited by Locke087

"FE4 might be worth a shot".  I will still stand by this - IS could remake the game into something that I think is fun.  But not right now. :P:

But seriously. . .

"What's up with these specialty weapons?  They're pretty useless".  Archanea set me straight real quick.

Tonics are useless in Fates...Conquest proved me wrong.

Erk is the best Anima mage in FE7. Pent and Priscilla proved me wrong.

The increased range in Valentia won't make Archers much better. Tobin and Leon proved me wrong.

As you can see, FE has a tendency to prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Tonics are useless in Fates...Conquest proved me wrong.

Erk is the best Anima mage in FE7. Pent and Priscilla proved me wrong.

The increased range in Valentia won't make Archers much better. Tobin and Leon proved me wrong.

As you can see, FE has a tendency to prove me wrong.

I feel I need the Tonics even in Lunatic!Birthright (I feel I'm a little too fast for the game's pace and I don't like to use few units).

My dumb opinions are probably the same generic opinions (about Est, Trainnes and Jeigan)

The Fates SE was will be worth the €120, trust me (Then the Echoes SE has to come and offer 2 amiibo, the artbook, the sound track and the pins and only for €110, which made me feel even stupider).

Kris is the best MU.

Thracia is the worst game in the series.

Ike and the Black Knight are the best characters in FE and their plot lone and rivalry are amazing.

FE should have died after Awakening (Yes this was something I said after all the Fates Hype and eventual let down and I feel like shit for saying it).

12 hours ago, NoirCore said:

"Stat boosting items? Meh". ...Yeah. I did that in Awakening and Fates.

I can see some reasoning behind this statement. Non-HP stat boosters are still +2 in Awakening and Fates, despite stat inflation making +2 matter a little less than in other games, not that it can't matter at all, it certainly can in CQ Lunatic for instance.

Seth is kinda OK, I guess, at least for a prepromote.

Dancers seem pointless when you can just put another strong unit in the line-up instead.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can see some reasoning behind this statement. Non-HP stat boosters are still +2 in Awakening and Fates, despite stat inflation making +2 matter a little less than in other games, not that it can't matter at all, it certainly can in CQ Lunatic for instance.

I wouldn't say that 'stat inflation' makes each stat worth less. One point of STR still counteracts one point of DEF.

If anything, the fact that Fates has very low HP values (and lower damage amounts compared to previous games) mean that each point would increase in value because the  threshold of securing kills is more likely to be met with slight stat differences.

The exception here is Luck, since they halved the value of it per point. Although the tonic provides double so that doesn't matter in this case anyway (it's essentially a buff for % proc skills).

For myself, it's undervaluing movement. I used to think Serra > Priscilla because of the level lead (which doesn't even matter since MAG is going to be the only relevant thing for a long time anyway... and Serra doesn't reach Priscilla's base until LV9 -- but that's besides the point).

Some stupid things I said / thought / did:
- Ambush spawns? Pff, can't be that bad, right? I'll just watch for vantage points and... oh, Roy just died. Oh, well... Time to reset for the 34th time... (ambush spawns can rot in hell for all I care)
- FE7's story is great (I still like parts of it, but I think my opinion on it has definitely worsened)
- Fates was worth the wait (I was severely blinded by hype back then. Now I know better)
- the unit balance in RD is good (No. No it isn't. Just because my "waifu" is one of the strongest units in the game doesn't mean the unit balance as a whole is good.)
- Axe Fighters? Awesome! (Then Boyd and related characters proceed to never hit anything)
- Mages? Eh... too squishy. (Then Illyana ends up as one of my best endgame units...)
- Grima is a good villain. (Hahaha! ... No. Though he still looks the most intimidating out of all the evil dragons)
- Manaketes suck, because their Dragonstone can run out. (Yes, I really was this stupid.)
- Hey, this enemy Mage seems inoffensive enough. I'll try and bait him with my own Mage so that someone weaker can kill him... Wait, where did that Wyvern Lord come from? (I paid no attention to enemy range)
- Everyone loves Roy, so he must be good, right? Right?!?
- Lord? Oh, crap! Need to feed them every kill ever!
- FE7 has three lords, so that's three deployment slots taken at all times. No exceptions.
- Eirika? You mean that blue haired mustard glass everyone and their dad wants to dip their sausage in? She has to be a fan-favourite. (I now know that she's the single most hated lord in the franchise, barring Corrin... Her mustard glass status remains yet unchanged, however.)
- Ephraim? Cool dude. Definitely doesn't want to shag his sis. That's just exaggeration from the fanbase, right? ... Right? (Gary Stu and a siscon. Well, that went downhill fast...)

Some stupid things I still say / think / do:
- Swordmasters are awesome in any game they are in! (... says the guy who never used one in FE7)
- Early Pre-promotes? Nah. I'll use them when my other folks are promoted as well.
- Movement? Who gives a toss?
- Paladins? Pff, get out!
- Uh, guys... Guys? Dumping all resources on your favourite unit / character to make them strong automatically means they are viable, right? (Sanaki is best mage! / Kurthnaga is best dragon!)
- Nyx is a good unit, I swear!

46 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Eirika? You mean that blue haired mustard glass everyone and their dad wants to dip their sausage in? She has to be a fan-favourite. (I now know that she's the single most hated lord in the franchise, barring Corrin...

I thought that was Micaiah? 

"I think the large maps of FE4 are cool". Until I actually tried it. I couldn't get past chapter 1, dear lord was that some boring shit. I would take 20 more games with maps like Shadows of Valentia over Genealogy style maps. I still like the story of Genealogy, and would like to see it remade. Maybe a good remake treatment can make the maps pallet-able like what happened with SoV. But I dont think I will ever actually play through FE4 itself.

7 minutes ago, blah the Prussian said:

I once violated Godwin's Law. In an argument about Vaike, of all things. I was twelve, cut me some slack.

How

Anyways,

1. Jagens are stupid, BENCH BENCH BENCH

2. "Est might turn out worthwhile!"

3. I will need to use these Legendary Weapons in very special situations! Let me just put them in my storage...

37 minutes ago, Pixelman said:

How

Anyways,

1. Jagens are stupid, BENCH BENCH BENCH

2. "Est might turn out worthwhile!"

3. I will need to use these Legendary Weapons in very special situations! Let me just put them in my storage...

I think it had something to do with the Allies knowing the Nazis were bad even before they discovered the Holocaust, and that Vaike was like what the Allies thought the Nazis were before they knew about the Holocaust. Something stupid like that.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:50 PM, eclipse said:

"FE4 might be worth a shot".  I will still stand by this - IS could remake the game into something that I think is fun.  But not right now. :P:

I see someone else has already said what I was going to say.

2. Ross died, I guess he was worthless(Was I ever wrong).

3. I should never use lords, if they die, I lose.

4. One day I'll beat FE10(I can't, I literally cannot bring myself to slog through Radiant Dawn, it drags on and on and on and on... to the point where I burn out either in part 3 or part 4)

"Holy shit I got this crazy glitched copy of Sacred Stones that lets you promote the trainees into trainees again!"

I don't know how I could have thought that, but the notion of super trainees was just so silly I guess my child mind couldn't accept that it was intentional.

As someone who doesn't like a challenge all that much: 

Hmm... well I've got pretty good at these Fire Emblem games (FE7, 8 and 9 under my belt at this point). I'll play FE10 on Normal Mode first :) 

Cue me being a very unhappy chao -.- 

I've since made it through that and Thracia, but at least I had save states for Thracia that sorta saw me through xD RD Normal really wasn't the most pleasant thing for me - especially with all the mixing around of the armies it did. It also meant I had to keep not using the characters I wanted to in favour of the ones that could actually become good with less time sunk into them. I play on easy for RD nowadays. I haven't bothered trying hard mode on any game, since I really do just play for the characters and to relax, not to challenge myself ^.^