Is FEH getting stale lately?

Prince Endriu

Dont get me wrong I like feh and this is not meant to be a rant just an observation of recent trends. I might of course be mistaken as I dont have any clue about how easy or difficult it is for IS to provide (meaningful and interesting) content.

I was expecting something grand hero related for wednesday as has been the weekly case for the last months. The lack of any announcement worried me and I was a little bit disappointed - I mean they could have just done a re-run of somebody.

I didnt check for new quests today so I was quite surprised to get fir as a reward, thought this sacred seals related. But no, this is just 'grinding' to get 6 orbs - of course I need those orbs and I will get them, but the related quest are somehow off-putting.

Now when I think about TT, the rewards are awesome, but most people are generally complaining about the trials and preferred the mini version. Why do we have to play the same maps over and over for two weeks? I don't really have a problem with this because the rewards make up for this to me, but its still noticeable.

When I first heard about the warriors maps and the fact they will last a month I expected something big - mistakenly assuming this will be daily maps. They are not that bad, though and can help level up some units. But a whole month? I would prefer them to last a week or two and after that some new maps.

I was also looking forward to the daily special maps that ended a couple of weeks ago. The orbs were good - but auto-battle gameplay is not.

The training tower missions were everyday the same - the rewards not thaaat great. But everyday the same - why not spice things up with a stratum 9 quest? So that people actually have to read what the quest is about. On monday I routinely did all three quests, only to find out that they are no longer available.

The monthly missions also follow the same trend with similar rewards. Complete stratum x, kill lv.35 etc.

For me the grand hero battles (ghb, bhb) have been the highlight gameplaywise. They are not so easy, sometimes even quite difficult, but they pose a challenge which can be quite satisfying when completed. 

And thats basically my point, the really great moments are few and far, and they are surrounded by clouds of routine and grinding

Whats your opinion?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure we've gotten a topic like this every month or two.

The only thing that's gotten dull for me is the fact that new Grand Hero Battle releases have slowed down.

That said, it's probably a good thing things have slowed down because that gives me time to do other things, like play Warriors, without worrying about falling behind in Heroes.

I really don't see how. Unless you're absolutely swimming in money and have the ability to get basically anyone you want (under different IVs, even), I really don't see this- and even then, that might not be completely feasible (or at least, ridiculously unlikely). You just sound anxious. Things are always coming our way, even if it isn't something obvious and massive like free daily maps for 2 orbs for three weeks straight or another great TT reward like the BK. Things spread out like you say they isn't even bad, because the game is incredibly generous. They just make you actually work for it. A grand total of 300 feathers a day makes 9k feathers a month, and that's massive.

In short, there's basically always something to do. I want to try out different setups with different characters, and a lot of times you have to hunt out the resources yourselves. Sometimes unexpected characters arrive (with the even more unexpected IVs) which switch things up. And you always know there's more characters coming. If anything, not bombarding us with big banners every week is a good thing for F2P players because it means we get a lot more time to fill our resources.

Edited by Soul~!

I'm too busy with other things IRL like work to feel like FE Heroes is getting dull.  Granted, I thought there would be more story at this point, but...alas.  I'm glad things have slowed down with GHB since it's given me time to level up the people that I want to, and everyone else that I don't care about can kind of just sit in the barracks.  At some point in the near future, I expect that I'm probably just going to be logging in for the orbs and a few missions every day without too much other commitment.  Aside from the occasional flurry of activity when seasonal characters that I want come out.

@Soul~! said it best. There's always something to keep things interested and keep the player interested. That being said I feel like things have gotten slightly tedious for me personally, but I think that's just God's way of telling me I'm spending too much time on this game and need to put more focus on other things to move my life forward. The game has lots of rewards and things to do, but after a certain point if you're just trying to get rewards you can pump in an hour if you're busy and stay current which is really what I need to start doing.

We shouldn't expect that much from a free mobile phone game, despite that I think they've done an amazing job with the game. The greatest feeling you get in this game is indeed pulling "that" unit you want most. Honestly, I feel like I could quit Heroes if I pulled Lyn. Knowing that if/when I ever come back she'd be waiting in my barracks.

I'm not bored and I think they are doing fine adding content at a very quick clip.

I think you just have to find your own enjoyment in this game.  I had a fun time in Arena Assault this week trying to learn how the build a high value first team.   I'm actually enjoying these three heroes quests, because they are forcing me to use sub-par units like Fir, if only for a little bit.

35 minutes ago, Prince Endriu said:

Like I said I like the game, and I also have some projects of my own that I am not sure I will even get to complete. These are just feelings and observations. Maybe I am expecting too much from a f2p game, I dont know. 

I think you're just pacing yourself at too fast of a pace.

Mobile games are generally designed to be something you can do in between other things and not something you sit down for a few hours to burn through like conventional console and handheld games.

Well, we came off of the 6-month anniversary and the whole CYL release celebration not long ago so the game may feel “stale” now but there’s still stuff to do like the Three Heroes quests and the upcoming Voting Gauntlet.

I’m more wondering when IS is going to release this month’s event calendar, when it’s going to reveal what the Sacred Coins do, when they’re going to give more value to badges and great badges, and when they’re going to fix “colorless hell”.

Edited by Roflolxp54

27 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I think you're just pacing yourself at too fast of a pace.

Mobile games are generally designed to be something you can do in between other things and not something you sit down for a few hours to burn through like conventional console and handheld games.

Could be!

I think when I reached tier 20 for the firsy time, I realized that a goal has been reached and from now on its just keep playing. The recent pa banner might also have had a negative impact on me when I realized how hard earned orbs didnt get me what I wanted most. Maye I should take it mire lightly with this game

23 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Well, we came off of the 6-month anniversary and the whole CYL release celebration not long ago so the game may feel “stale” now but there’s still stuff to do like the Three Heroes quests and the upcoming Voting Gauntlet.

I’m more wondering when IS is going to release this month’s event calendar, when it’s going to reveal what the Sacred Coins do, when they’re going to give more value to badges and great badges, and when they’re going to fix “colorless hell”.

This. I'm feeling a lull in things right now as well, but it's really just since we've had a pretty long train of constant stuff the past 2 months and now we're at the in-between of that and whenever they drop the next thing (sacred coins). Personally, I'm finding the TT and gauntlet modes a bit played out so I've been a bit trapped in the slog of TT and am not too excited for this gauntlet. So that hasn't been much excitement for me. But that's not putting me off of playing or anything. I'm excited for the sacred coins and whatever else this month's update may bring.

Gachas are also meant to be played more lightly than probably most of us posting here are, so that could be a factor too. I spend way too much time on this game, but I have fun.

Edited by Alkaid

I'm still having fun. Levelling up, improving and collecting characters is the main fun of the game for me. 

That being said, it's annoyed me that we haven't had any recent new GHB releases. I preferred it when it was two a month, but can understand if they have to drop down to one. No releases just feels... eh to me, again 'cos I love the collecting aspect of the game. The main disappointment for me was that BK wasn't a GHB and the PoR banner only had three people. It felt like two people were missing (the fourth PoR person and the 'real' TT reward). Again, since my main joy is collecting, if less characters are added, it can be irksome... but the new banner has revved it back up again and I'm back to happily collecting and training people :) Hopefully they'll stick to four person banners from now on ^.^

I like to have some slower moments like right now, so I feel better about taking a break from the game.

I'm pretty ok with how the game is in the present. Right now I'm starting to get feathers to go into high tier arena (staying in tier 20 every week) so I still have quite a lot to do.

It doesn't hurt having some time to slow down and grind some characters you want to use in the future, for example the first week of the TT is quite annoying to me because I almost have to play Heroes like 2 hours a day to keep a good score per day and I hate it even more when a GHB occurs in the middle of that because that's a huge stamina and time sink.

Stale bread (I first typed beard) makes for good french toast.

Take a break and come back to Heroes later when something exciting comes up/you've had time to refresh yourself.

And some of us aren't just aren't inclined to slow drip games. I for one don't play Animal Crossing, because I can't adjust myself to the idea of playing an hour a day three times a week for months, I want to play five hours for five days for three weeks, but AC doesn't suit that kind of play.

Heroes has yet to get "stale" for me, if and only because I don't feel "complete" yet. While the progression of my units largely depends on what other units I have, I do still have a number of units I wish to complete. I only yesterday completed the +Att -HP Celica I pulled a month ago, which yes was really only because I needed Life and Death 3 for her, but it was still a good feeling to stare at +2 merge and all that Attack that she will have. Seeing a complete unit, anyways, will never be old to me. I might be immature in that way since, in counting all my "complete" units I'm now numbering somewhere in the 30+ complete units since game launch, but screw it that's just how the game has me hooked.

13 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That said, it's probably a good thing things have slowed down because that gives me time to do other things, like play Warriors, without worrying about falling behind in Heroes.

Hows that going? I wanted to get Warriors before holiday season begins, but given my current financial status and the fact both my Birthday and Christmas will be coming up in December, I'll have to wait on it... that or give up Pokemon, and lolno.

Edited by Xenomata

Single player isnt getting stale for me. But Arena on the other hand... If the game was more balanced it would be more fun in Arena instead of seeing the same units with the same builds over and over and over again (Lyn, Reinhardet etc.)

11 hours ago, Hilda said:

Single player isnt getting stale for me. But Arena on the other hand... If the game was more balanced it would be more fun in Arena instead of seeing the same units with the same builds over and over and over again (Lyn, Reinhardet etc.)

Arena assault is sort of annoying to me. Its difficult to have that many counters for reinhardt or lyn - but its still interesting.

The thing that I would like to see is more creativity in regards to quests. For example they could introduce daily quests like complete 8-3 with two green units etc. - something challenging.

Grand or bound heros are great. I have an account on my work phone that I just use to look at the stats and positions of enemy units. I spend the whole morning (in between work) thinking about strategies, using damage calculator a lot. I dont like mindless quests too much.

I remember there was also a quiet period  a few months ago and everyone claimed the game was dead. Then IS came back with new story update and game modes and everything fell into place. Personally I think it's better to have quiet periods between hypes in order to avoid burning everyone out with constant events. 

If you feel like there is nothing to do, perhaps just stop/reduce your level of playing for a month. I did that in Aug/Sep and now coming back I feel the game is interesting again.

The game definitely seems to be entering one of its lull periods, unless it's merely the calm before the storm. Although, if I had to guess, perhaps they're spacing out the events so that Japanese players can enjoy the recently-released Warriors in peace?

But like others have suggested, it's not really a game you're supposed to invest a lot of time in in one go.

Personally I am quite guilty of spending too much time on Heroes on occasions. This period is particularly bad since I bankrupted all my orbs to try--and fail--to get Olivia. Meaning I have no orbs to do anything and, worse, no Olivia to train : /

Still, I am reasonably content, since they just gave out an amazing free unit in the Black Knight and I do have the new Azura, which I really wanted as well. Sometimes you can't have it all, hehe.

Edited by VincentASM

Personally, I'm just a little bored and slightly annoyed that I didn't get Ike on the tempest banner, and the new red heroes I did pull instead of him were -atk. (The +spd Cain was good, though.) I was fortunate enough to pull Shigure and Olivia on the dancer banner, at the very least, but I guess after I finished leveling them to 40 I didn't really know what to do. I like pulling new heroes, especially ones that I want, since it gives me something to do, in the absence of tempest or new chapters or things like that. Still, that doesn't mean the game is necessarily stale, just that I'm bored.