Tempest Trials - How many orbs do you leave on the table.

Usana

I haven't seen a topic discussing this, or found one with a quick search. So here it is.

Traditionally I mostly just do the 2 everyday plus maybe 1 or two to quickly grab an orb reward if I am close. This time however, I ground myself all the way up to 65k. Which still leaves 15 orbs on the table. Blegh. I would really like 15 orbs, but I also would rather not play for 24 hours straight on the same maps over and over again(just a random number pulled, for all I know it is higher). Given that I get roughly 500~ per combat it would take 70 additional runs to get all the orbs. If you get 2000 per triple and do it each day for 14 days that should get you to 56,000 or so. So it looks like in the case of a perfect run would take roughly 88 additional runs. Given that I flub it every now and again due to boredom making my eyes glaze over and making a dumb mistake, I will just assume a nice even 100 + bonus runs to get all the orbs. I am curious how many folks actually put that much time in and boredom in to get all the orbs and how many orbs people in general are willing to give up on.

For reference, if you just went to panic ploy seal and stopped that would leave 24 orbs on the table. Now watch my math being all wrong because I just woke up. That is my excuse and I am stucking to it.

In the Awakening tepmest I finished at, maybe, 55k. In Alm’s tempest I had something similar. In Celica’s I had 85k or so. In Hector’s I did over 60k, getting every reward. This tempest I did over 147k, getting every reward again.

Overall, I got something like ⅗ of all rewards, orbs included.

1 hour ago, Infinite Dreams said:

I ended up at 147k, so I got all of the orbs.  I only did the first 2 fights a day myself on Lunatic 7.

The rest of my points were from auto-battle Lunatic 5/Hard 5 (depending on the team).

Huh, I don't think any of my teams could get through on auto, well hard 5 maybe. Though I guess you do get multiple teams to send in. So the AI being stupid may not actually matter that much.

I did Lunatic 5 straight through, I was at 100K before the first week was done.

It wasn't much of a grind.  Literally Reinhardt or Robin or any decent blue mage, a dancer, and a bonus unit can do most runs easily and in less than 5 minutes.  

My team this time was Ike, Reinhardt, Elincia, and PA!Azura.

Edited by kcirrot

Ever since the triple bonus was added, I always get to 99,999.

Besides the bonus, the biggest sanity saver was learning how to auto battle Hard 5.

It's not hard with mostly F2P units. Xander and Camus are basically half the team, then you add a healer (although not needed if you have Renewal etc.) and bonus unit.

3 hours ago, Prince Endriu said:

Never leaving orbs on the table - I am f2p btw. Feather rewards are important for me, too.

This. Despite the grind, it's not SO bad that I'd not at least get 100k for all the rewards. They're just too good to leave hanging as a mostly F2P person, especially if I have the units to clear 705 point runs consistently and quickly.

I generally try to get as many as I can during the TTs and the daily bonuses have really been helpful in accomplishing that. 

I've finally figured out a method that gives me consistent gains, providing an average of 7,000 points each day, leaving roughly 2,000 to grind for before Trials' end, which by itself isn't terrible. It doesn't leave me much Stamina per day leftover when I get those 7,000, but I've got a stockpile of potions sitting around so it's no that big a problem. As long as the scoring methods don't change to my disadvantage, I'm good to go for future TTs, too.

22 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

This. Despite the grind, it's not SO bad that I'd not at least get 100k for all the rewards. They're just too good to leave hanging as a mostly F2P person, especially if I have the units to clear 705 point runs consistently and quickly.

Exactly. This TT was the first I had a 40% bonus. Lunatic 7 took me 7mins on average.

I always get all the rewards. Orbs are too precious to leave behind. Granted, I'm one of the lucky few who always had a 40% bonus so it was never too bad for me. Things have been a lot easier now that the bonus has been added. The first TT was truly a grind.

Honestly, just go at your own pace. Some days I went full throttle, going for 10k. And other days I just did 3 runs for quests. There was even a day where I just didn't bother with TT at all. 

Edited by Kiran

Oh, and yeah, having a 40% bonus hero is a godsend. In the Awakening tempest, I used a 20% Lissa. In Alm’s tempest, I used a 20% Sharena. In Celica’s tempest, I anguished until I got Celica. In Hector’s tempest, I used a 40% Lyn. This tempest I used a 40% Nephenee.

Bonus heroes pay a huge role.

Leaving orbs behind? How preposterous! Need more orbs, need more feathers, not leaving anything behind is a way to not die by hunger when true waifu banners come.

FtP players can't understand true value of orbs...

Edited by Tenzen12

the first TT I left a lot of the rewards because none of my units were trained at the time and I only had 1 20% bonus unit, but after that one I have made sure to get all rewards since I am F2P.   

Well at least people saying 5 or 7 mins per run means I am doing about an average speed per run. But that is still like 7-8 hours of constant playing. The same thing over and over. I just don't have that patience. Playing 7-8 hours is easy. I am a big Civ fan after all, but seeing the same maps and set ups each time just gets to me. I guess next time I just need to find a reliable way to get my units to auto-battle the thing. Starting to regret that my big investments went into armor and flier emblem. Watching the AI play those two can be like watching a train wreck.

And no Xander or Camus for me. I was basically just collecting daily stuff back then and not really playing content much. No Zeph either. I actually tried for him since I wanted armor from the start, but since I had done minimal playing(only through the story) I couldn't manage the fight since I had basically one team used for clearing story maps. Bridal Lyn, Hector, 4*Felicia(one of my first summons), and 4*Effie. Just couldn't figure out those GHB's with that team so I ignored them.

Though speaking of Bridal Lyn, dang does the AI have absolutely no idea how to use her. She is consistently one of my best units, unless I let the AI have control. At which point she becomes a liability. Seriously though nothing is more fun smacking BK down with no casualties thanks to him not being able to counter! Hmm. . .  Lyn seems fond of denying people the ability to counter, doesn't she?

43 minutes ago, Usana said:

Though speaking of Bridal Lyn, dang does the AI have absolutely no idea how to use her. She is consistently one of my best units, unless I let the AI have control. At which point she becomes a liability. Seriously though nothing is more fun smacking BK down with no casualties thanks to him not being able to counter! Hmm. . .  Lyn seems fond of denying people the ability to counter, doesn't she?

When auto-battling, you should always use the most durable units you have. It's too bad you don't have Xander or Camus, but even semi-durable units should be OK to use. It also helps if you run a healer with Renewal and/or Wings of Mercy (even 2 works). I use Sakura since she has OK defences, enough to tank Hard 5.

However you absolutely should avoid squishy units (Like Bridal Lyn, most Brave weapon and tome users) since the AI will not bother preserving themselves.

I do agree that TT gets incredibly repetitive without auto-battling. But it's clear they want you to use it or they wouldn't have added the option to auto-battle through multiple maps and the ability to turn off animations while auto-battling.

7 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Ever since the triple bonus was added, I always get to 99,999.

Besides the bonus, the biggest sanity saver was learning how to auto battle Hard 5.

It's the same for me. Before they added the bonus and made auto battling easier, I felt the need to manually play through every attempt on the highest difficulty, and that was a nightmare. Once I figured out I could get a decent number of points by letting the AI handle it, I started liking Tempest Trials a whole lot more.

It costs some stamina potions to get everything, but few enough that my stash will keep increasing if this is all I spend them on, I think. I have about 160 right now.

I used to be lazy. I stopped playing the first two tempests after getting the last Sacred Seal, and the third after reaching 50k (just enough for another summon). On the Mini, though, I went up to 60k, and for the most recent one, I went "heck with it" and ground up to 99,999. The secret is to use auto-battle on Hard 4/5 and just spam all the stamina potions from the TT daily quests. I had ~155 potions before this tempest; I now have ~160, despite using 30 or so over the course of the fortnight.

I always get all of the rewards and aim for top 5k, have been doing so since the first tempest. Yeah, it's a bit of a grind, but I actually like how much SP and HM I accumulate from doing the maps. If I can get my first team to survive maps 1-6 on lunatic 7, a character at level 40 will gain the full 4.6 HM, which comes out to be about 27 HM per run. And that's nothing to sneeze at.

What I saw myself doing was right at midnight, I do two Lunatic 7 maps, and then auto-battle the three on Lunatic 5. This would never take 30 minutes. When I am waiting or get back from whatever I was doing, Stamina would be at 99/99, then I auto-battle all of them on Lunatic 5. Rinse and repeat for the duration of Tempest Trials. I'm not a dedicated player, I only went up to 90.5k. I occasionally used Stamina potions if I wanted to get orbs to pull.

4 hours ago, VincentASM said:

When auto-battling, you should always use the most durable units you have. It's too bad you don't have Xander or Camus, but even semi-durable units should be OK to use. It also helps if you run a healer with Renewal and/or Wings of Mercy (even 2 works). I use Sakura since she has OK defences, enough to tank Hard 5.

However you absolutely should avoid squishy units (Like Bridal Lyn, most Brave weapon and tome users) since the AI will not bother preserving themselves.

I do agree that TT gets incredibly repetitive without auto-battling. But it's clear they want you to use it or they wouldn't have added the option to auto-battle through multiple maps and the ability to turn off animations while auto-battling.

People will have a durable unit now, at least in the form of the Black Knight. Give him Renewal (sacrificing mobility) and he pretty much solos the maps if all of your other speedier units died because of the AI.

Also when auto-battling, I generally unequip the attack staff for the healer. Since if they're on a horse they *WILL* get themselves killed by going up to the front before everyone else.

I have never left orbs on the table for any of the Tempest Trials. In fact, the only orbs in the entire game I was forced to leave on the table were for a few weeks in the arena, before I hit my comfortable stride of bouncing between Tiers 18 and 19 (not bothered enough to try and bounce between 19 and 20).

Honestly, I didn't find the first Tempest all that bad, and I ranked highly for my efforts. Every subsequent one was a huge grind, until I realised I just had to get 8k points a day in the mini trial. From there, for the latest one, I did Lunatic 7 with Rein et al twice a day for the bonus points, and then just needed an extra 4k gained from running through Lunatic 5 :)