Update discussion thread

I think it's time to discuss about the necessity of the latest updates since I think there are some things aren't right atm.

SF was absolutely enjoyable until this update in the beginning of 2017. It had very nice design and all features I like to have.

Since the update not only the design became worse (unfitting font now), but also several features were removed. I can neither delete my notifications, nor prove any friend requests because the latest SF version allows anyone to add without agreement of the added person. These are real main issues for me which still haven't been fixed although I reported them a while ago.
At least - after reading some comments - the upload time in frequently posted threads and the double post glitch were removed which is still sth. at least.

Unrelated to that Imo forum upgrades only should be made if several people requested it, or there's a major agreement of the membership. I'm fairly sure a lot of people didn't want this current version of SF.
Sry if I sound harsh, but I don't appreciate this forum as it is right now, and think I'm not the only one.

(Unfortunately) I'm not in the postition and equipped with the programming knowledge to fix the issues, but it's at least a beginning if you share your improvments for this forum in this thread. I really hope it will be taken seriously.

Edited by Byakuren Hijiri

I'm fairly sure a lot of people didn't want this current version of SF.

A lot of people didn't want the previous version, either. Or the version before that, or the version before that...

The longer I think, is it even right to call it an update if several tools like BBCcodes are removed?
Stupid jokes aside, the removed BBcode is the reason why I quitted doing LPs.

hey IP board, bring back BBCode view so my sig isn't torture to edit.

Seriously I almost forgot about that. 

I can(not) blame anyone for not knowing the reason of it.
As for removed BBcode Idk the reason of its removal.

Though I highly doubt it was removed on purpose because it's a key feature in an online forum.

Am I salty? Yes
Do I blame anyone? If it wasn't intended, then surely not

then what is the purpose of this thread

you're just whining about bugs in the op (which always happens with a new forum rollout) and calling our new design "unfitting" lol it's pretty insulting

My intention was actually to look for improvement suggestions and question the necessity of an update because I don't think the latest one (speaking of the one in January) has fulfilled its purpose yet - so cold and insulting it might sound. There were too many bugs and only a part has been fixed yet until now.
Nine months are passed and some errors like not being able to delete notifications (despite reporting mod and admin) haven't been fixed yet. Idk if it's the usual time of fixing these issuses in an online forum, but as for me it's too long.

Also if you really think that's a "whining thread" (what's actually not my intention was, but whatever), then close it!

A suggestion of mine: A thread would be nice where members can bring their ideas how to improve the forums in the future. And I'm not talking about reporting errors of the site.

that's how software development works, mate. bugs stick around, and we don't have infinite development time. our coder base is one dude: jyo, and this isn't his day job.

and the update served its purpose lol, updates are more about back-end security and administrative stuff than user experience. there's no two ways about that: our mod tools are massively improved, our security tools (anti-DDOS, anti-spam, etc) are massively improved, everything about the back end is a thousand times better

i'm sorry you've been hanging around on a forum that you hate for almost a year but i'm also not sympathetic because no matter what when an internet site updates layout someone's gonna bitch about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whenever something involving the internet is updated, it is simply a rule that the members who used that thing will not like it, and wish for it to go back to how it was before. Remember everyone who complains/complained about Google and Youtube changing and updating?

As for my opinion, I tend to live by a philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And since the previous update resulted in the incessant double posts, I gladly welcome this new update, even if it'll take some time to get used to.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

All i gotta say is, i don't like how big the Discord box thing is now. Other than that, the update caught me off guard but whatever.

i don't actually see a discord box anymore, is it still on the front page?

My only beef with the progression of Serenes Forest Forums was when it's own chat room ceased to exist. While the clear solution to that was Discord, personally I really enjoyed the old chat room... That isn't really anything to fuss about besides the most recent update preventing me to update my signature 10 times . Other than that updates are required, it's like getting a vaccination (if that makes any sense), more bugs will present themselves through the span of time and updates are the means to limit those bugs. 

Just now, Slade said:

My only beef with the progression of Serenes Forest Forums was when it's own chat room ceased to exist. While the clear solution to that was Discord, personally I really enjoyed the old chat room...

besides the fact that ip.chat was a broken pile of garbage (seriously, working with it as a mod was horrible.) that actually got cut because ip.board no longer has an ip.chat service. the servers are gone. there is no more ip.chat to have.

Just now, Integrity said:

besides the fact that ip.chat was a broken pile of garbage (seriously, working with it as a mod was horrible.) that actually got cut because ip.board no longer has an ip.chat service. the servers are gone. there is no more ip.chat to have.

I would've imagined, all things have an end