Dcat saves the world(Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles)

Dragoncat

Poll  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which boost for Cathuriges Mine?

• Strength
    • Magic
    • Defense
    • Health
    • Pockets
    • Ring
    • Dcat's choice

This poll is closed to new votes

Emulated on Android so I can use save states.

Discussions will be in the feedback thread.

Every other dungeon will include a poll that will run until I finish it, to allow the readers to decide which stat growth our heroine will get. If there's a tie I will decide between the ones that tied. If the winner is impossible at the time (like if strength wins and there are no strength boosters in the loot) it will default to my choice. The options are self explanatory, but for those of you who haven't played:

Pockets: adds another slot to the command list. Another option during the heat of battle that doesn't require opening the menu, basically.

Ring: allows the use of magic without having to find the proper magitite stone, a fire ring will give constant access to fire for example. If this wins and there's more than one ring I'll pick which one I get.

Sometimes there will be polls for other things and they will run as long as I feel they're needed. For all polls I will also add a vote.

I am playing as a female selkie with the blacksmith family trade.

Feedback Thread

Art and Banner Gallery

prologue.png
Seek the water of life.

Long ago, miasma swallowed the world. Its very touch was fatal, and it claimed many lives. But we have since discovered a way to hold it at bay.

Crystals protect us from miasma. Smaller crystals now guard the villages of the world, while larger ones guard the cities. We all live our lives within the embrace of the crystals' blessing.

The power of the crystals is not limitless, however; it gradually diminishes over time. We must rekindle the crystals' radiance each year by purifying them with myrrh. In turn, they protect us from the miasma for another year.

But myrrh cannot be found just anywhere. We must seek it in the dark depths of dungeons, across forbidding mountains, even beyond the sea.

This task falls to young men and women sent off each year by every town the world over. It is their duty to collect myrrh and bring it home. They are known as the crystal caravanners.

This is the tale of one such caravanner and her adventures.

deekatchee.png

FIFTEEN YEARS AGO

"Please, sir!" A male selkie dropped to his knees and begged to the Torring village elder. "This is the only town we could reach! At least allow my wife a place to give birth safely..." In the wagon behind him, a heavily pregnant female squirmed and let out faint grunts of discomfort.

The "elder" actually wasn't much older than the selkie couple, but his father had recently died and thrust him into the position. He had grown up hearing tales of robberies, assassinations, and general trickery...all performed by the selkie race. Whereas his own people, the clavats, were typically shown as peaceful farmers or on occasion, successful caravanners.

"I will let you stay, but only until the child is confirmed healthy and fit to travel." The elder turned to one of the clavats who had gathered to see what was happening. "Lead her to the infirmary and make sure a midwife is available."

"Oh, thank you! Thank you so much!" The selkie man jumped up and attempted to give the elder a hug, but he pulled away. His copper colored eyes twinkled, almost with the same luster as the crystal chalice he carried. "I will repay you for this to the best of my ability!"

PRESENT DAY

Dou Gas, the selkie father, turned out to be a skilled blacksmith, which was something Torring lacked. So, a town meeting had been held, and the majority voted to allow the selkies to stay, given that they had nowhere else and the goblins of Goblin Wall had killed all their traveling companions. Their little girl Dee Kat had since grown into a fine young lady. Despite growing up around a bunch of clavats, she was still a typical selkie...fast and agile, and at times a bit of a trickster. The village elder, Roland, was pleased to see that the selkies were behaving themselves, NOT stealing things. He now knew that those stories weren't completely accurate, and quite racist.

In fact, Roland was almost as happy and proud as Dou Gas when Lo Ree gave birth to their second "pup": a boy who they named Don Van. It was a little known fact that selkies associated themselves with seals sometimes, calling their young "pups", and everybody knew they were avid consumers of fish...just like seals. The selkie family would fish the local river almost constantly, but somehow, they managed to never overfish it.

Today, Dee Kat was sitting on a hill overlooking the town square, looking completely exhausted. A little orange puffy creature floated over to her on his leathery wings. "Rough morning, kupo?"

"Chee!" The young selkie smiled and extended her hand to scratch her moogle friend's furry ears. His full name was Cheese, his parents had named him that because his fur was the color of that soft, delicious food that people made from cow and sometimes goat milk. But Dee Kat preferred to call him Chee, because it was more dignified. "Kupo" was a term of endearment that moogles called their best person friends.

"Dad expects me to help in the forge just about every day. I hardly have time to train for the caravan!" Dee Kat complained.

"You're not nervous at all about that?" Chee flattened his ears. "Caravanning is supposed to be REALLY dangerous."

"That's why I have to train! So I don't come home in a body bag...Dad doesn't seem to understand that..."

TO BE CONTINUED...

Edited by Dragoncat

Here we go! You might notice I switched to screenshot...well, here's why:

Soooo, yeah. Screenshots won't make the neighborhood dogs howl. Without further ado:

year1.png

Edited by Dragoncat

20171019_121936.png

20171019_122000.png

Actual name of my hometown irl with a few letters missing.

Character creation time!

20171019_123503.png

Lol wut dat pose...snapped the picture right in the middle of the action.

20171019_122609.png

Canon player family! Is my little bro seriously shirtless? I guess he does do that sometimes...

20171019_122546.png

NOPE

Untitled.png

And don't you forget it! Based on my parents and bro irl, yeah...

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-16-40.png

World map. Let's run around the streets of town for a bit first though.

torring.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-17-25.png

No neighbors?

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-19-56.png

Found my sending off party!

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-20-17.png

Okay Mom.

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-20-05.png

Little brothers...should I go get bitten by a monster and tell him about it in gorey detail? Nah. Let's try not to get bit.

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-20-49.png

Duh.

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-21-00.png

Okay.

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-21-18.png

"MOOOMMMM! DEE KAT'S PLAYING ON THE CRYSTAL AGAIN!"

I am NOT playing I'm doing big important things shut up.

Fic Intermission

"Get down from there!" The selkie boy yelled at his sister. "You know we're not supposed to climb on it!"

Dee Kat proceeded to get down from the crystal with a running jump, front flip, and landed on her feet in front of the village elders before darting off into the distance. The old clavat couple looked like they'd just seen a cow jump over the moon, or a flying pig.

Dou Gas cheered and clapped until his wife elbowed him sharply in the ribs. "We shouldn't be encouraging that behavior." Lo Ree said.

"Yeah!" Don Van piped up. "I get in trouble when I even go near the crystal!"

Roland cleared his throat. "Yes, like I've said a million times...it's not proper. If you selkies need something to jump on, may I suggest a trampoline?"

"What's a trampoline?" Don Van asked.

"Oh, Babe, this is a tragedy, our son doesn't even know what a trampoline is!" Dou Gas almost whined. "We MUST remedy that!"

"But what is it, Dad?"

"You take a big, strong cloth tarp. Then you stretch it out between however many poles are needed. Then you bounce on it! Perfect for agility training!"

Don Van jumped up and down in excitement. "We HAVE to get one!"

"Oh, gods..." Roland's wife sighed. "Look what you started."

"It's either that, or they eventually break the crystal. We don't want that." Roland said.

"I don't think I told you this before, but..." Dou Gas addressed the elders. "I won my wife's heart with a triple back flip on one of those."

"I wouldn't say that, I'd say we bonded while I was nursing you back to health after you fell off and hit your head and nearly cracked it open." Lo Ree smirked. "But the ends do justify the means. Now let's find where our little caravanner ran off to..."

End Fic Intermission

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-21-54.png

Going to my favorite hill.

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-22-26.png

Finders keepers losers keepers! Even if it's just a wheat seed, it's mine now.

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-23-39.png

Time to go.

20171019_133619.png

I run into this dude. Offers to have his moogle friend teach me some fighting moves, sure, I guess.

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-26-26.png

Mog = Chee.

Here comes an info dump, bear with me...

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-26-36.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-26-42.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-26-49.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-27-04.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-26-58.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-27-10.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-27-15.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-27-27.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-27-40.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-27-48.png

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-27-54.png

Got all that? Okay weapons training time.

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-28-34.png

And magic...

Dolphin_Emulator_2017-10-19-13-29-21.png

Gonna have a whole bunch of those goblins in my hair very soon. 

Stay tuned for River Belle Path!

Edited by Dragoncat

Found out that the audio recording isn't too bad now, so for each dungeon, there will be two videos along with screenshots.

riverbellepath.png

Dungeon Video

Boss Video (got cut off at the end, sorry about that)

riverbelle1.png

Here we are! Deep breaths...breathe in, breathe out...okay, let's do this!

riverbelle2.png

riverbelle3.png

First kill: a goblin. Pretty common, but what matters is that I lived to see another day and it didn't.

riverbelle4.png

This is a phoenix down: a very useful item. It will revive you automatically if you have it with you and you die. My first kill dropped a phoenix down! Heaven must be smiling upon me.

riverbelle5.png

This monster is called a hedgehog pie. It wields fire magic...

riverbelle6.png

But nothing I can't handle, and now I can use fire magic.

Let's test it out on that goblin!

riverbelle7.png

riverbelle8.png

You're toasted, goblin!

riverbelle9.png

This one drops a cure magitite, so I can cast a healing spell on myself if I have to.

riverbelle10.png

But before I open the gate...

riverbelle11.png

riverbelle12.png

riverbelle13.png

This will be important later.

Moving on.

riverbelle14.png

riverbelle15.png

riverbelle16.png

Sure looks like it...

riverbelle17.png

Another gate to open...and a life magitite. 

riverbelle18.png

Ooh shiny artifact! Don't mind if I do...

riverbelle19.png

This one is a strength booster I believe.

I'm kinda low on health, so:

riverbelle20.png

riverbelle21.png

Sometimes pausing and eating is more efficient than casting cure, sometimes it isn't, but it was this time. Notice that my strength has increased slightly from having the double axe in my possession.

riverbelle22.png

riverbelle23.png

Took a detour after opening the gate and...treasure time! Treasure ti-

riverbelle24.png

OH. Clavat stuff...I'll just sell it.

riverbelle25.png

Through the gate, attacked by mus. They're easy enough to deal with.

riverbelle26.png

MONEY!

riverbelle27.png

Crafting materials.

riverbelle28.png

Annnnd more crap that I can't use. Another thing to sell. Maybe some lilty will buy it off me...

riverbelle29.png

I bet this treasure chest is unreachable at the moment and I'll have to come back for it later. Didn't stop me from running around in circles trying to get to it a few times though...

riverbelle30.png

riverbelle31.png

Really Chee? REALLY? This isn't even a hot or cold dungeon holy crap. Yeah, if you go somewhere hot or cold, you have to take precautions to prevent your moogle from tiring. More on that later.

But if he's tired, he'll have a hard time keeping up with you and keep whining, so:

riverbelle32.png

I have to let him rest.

riverbelle33.png

About time! Goblin on my tail!

riverbelle34.png

Another phoenix down yay!

riverbelle35.png

riverbelle36.png

I found out this gate leads nowhere, but it was worth finding it for the 20 gil. Every little bit of cash counts.

riverbelle37.png

Oh shit I'm outnumbered!

Combat skill and selkie trickery saved the day though. And...

riverbelle38.png

riverbelle39.png

My reward was this extra command slot.

Now would be a good time to say: any artifacts you get in dungeons only give you their bonuses until you leave, when you can pick just one to keep. So in this case, I'll have to choose between the strength boost and the pocket. I can't have both. But I can still get the other later.

riverbelle40.png

This way leads to the boss' lair. And no, that's not the same water hotspot from the beginning of the dungeon, it's a different one.

giantcrab.png

giantcrab1.png

Anybody have a giant lobster cracker? ANYBODY? No? Guess I'll have to do this the hard way then.

giantcrab2.png

giantcrab3.png

First blood! ...do crabs even HAVE blood?

giantcrab4.png

Of course, reinforcements...

giantcrab5.png

...That drop like flies if you know what you're doing.

giantcrab6.png

giantcrab7.png

Pretty bubbles, but I'm no idiot, so I'm not going to let them touch me.

giantcrab8.png

Kinda weird for something that lives by the river to be weak to fire. It should resist it because water. But whatevs.

giantcrab9.png

giantcrab10.png

OUCH! That claw is nasty!

giantcrab11.png

giantcrab12.png

giantcrab13.png

Company again, but I showed it the door.

giantcrab14.png

OWEY!

giantcrab15.png

Better now.

giantcrab16.png

giantcrab17.png

Claw's gone!

giantcrab18.png

giantcrab19.png

Stupid mus. They should know they're going to get killed if they show up...

giantcrab20.png

giantcrab21.png

giantcrab22.png

giantcrab23.png

There went the shell! We're on the last leg of this race, folks.

giantcrab24.png

giantcrab25.png

Oh you've GOT TO BE FREAKIN KIDDING ME.

giantcrab26.png

Those pretty bubbles inflict slow! Now I'll be without my selkie agility until it wears off. Great...

giantcrab27.png

giantcrab28.png

Talk about adding insult to injury. That really HURT!

giantcrab29.png

But the slow wore off, so I should be good now.

giantcrab30.png

Nice try bitch.

giantcrab31.png-

Another mu shows up to claw my face. Ugh.

giantcrab32.png

giantcrab33.png

giantcrab34.png

giantcrab35.png

One more hit should do the trick!

giantcrab36.png

BOOM!

giantcrab37.png

Now who wants crab cakes?

On to the myrrh tree...

giantcrab38.png

Wow, it's beautiful...

giantcrab39.png

Oh sacred myrrh tree...please bestow me with one drop of your blessed dew...

giantcrab40.png

giantcrab41.png

Here it comes!

giantcrab42.png

Thank you, tree! Thank you for your kind generosity. I am humbled...

(Artifact choice and dungeon ending to be added soon)

Edited by Dragoncat