Dcat saves the world: feedback and lore

Dragoncat

Feedback thread for this, as well as some lore. Some of it will be headcanons, but it will be based on what's said ingame. Without further ado: lores!

The four races

Clavats: Mostly peaceful, they often have plain colored hair and eyes and wear plain clothing. Many clavats are farmers, but there are also many clavats who seek myrrh in crystal caravans. They are generally jacks of all trades, but some are more skilled at certain things than others. They normally wield swords and shields in battle. Some clavats from farming backgrounds have been known to fight with scythes or pitchforks.

Selkies: Rogueish people, they appear similar to clavats, but can have brighter hair and eye colors. Their ears are often smaller than clavat ears as well, and slightly pointed. They often wear light, sometimes revealing clothing made out of fur and leather. They are better swimmers than the other three tribes. Weapons are normally concealable daggers, claw gloves, or throwing blades, and armor is rarely used and simple if it is.

Lilties: Short warrior people, they often have hair in bright, warm colors. They tend to be hotheaded and many are either crystal caravanners or traveling monster hunters or both. They are very strong despite their small stature. They clang around in metal armor and brandish spears and axes.

Yukes: Tall, birdlike magicians. Their faces are beaked and their arms and hands appear feathered. They tend to be very wise and aloof, not really associating with outsiders. Their magic prowess is the best of the four races. Yukes focus more on using magitite to cast spells, but do carry small blades or hammers as well.

Other creatures

Moogles: Small flying mammals that are immune to the toxic miasma, so they can live anywhere. They are friendly and many prefer to live in towns with people for companionship, but many do still live in the wilderness. They are intelligent and most can learn to use magic, and if they do, they don't need magitite.

Monsters: Creatures that are immune to miasma, but hostile. Some appear to have some intelligence because they form groups and/or use weapons, but even these are dangerous and will typically attack a person on sight. Many monsters can use magic without magitite.

Popopami: Large grazing mammals that are used to pull wagons. Miasma affects them like it does other livestock.

Items and objects

Crystals: The sacred, magical stones that protect people from miasma. They must be purified with myrrh, or else they will eventually stop working.

Crystal Chalice: An urn fitted with a crystal. Caravanners use these to store the myrrh they collect, and the crystal wards off miasma in the field. Some caravans employ moogles as chalice carriers. The little creatures are perfect for the job due to their flight ability and miasma immunity. 

Magitite: Stones found in the wilderness that allow the use of magic. The magic in these stones wears out after a short separation from their area of origin, so caravanners must keep finding them. Luckily, they are common and frequently replenish themselves.

Magic Clip: Invented by yukes, these little metal clasps clip onto weapons and allow spell casting through the weapon via a bond with the magitite in the pack. Rumor has it that some yukes are so magicially inclined that they can do the same without the clips. Not everyone owns one, however. Without a magic clip, one must be holding the proper magitite in their hand.

Environment

Miasma: The sinister air that covers the land. Wild animals, plants, and fungi are immune to it, and so are moogles and monsters. Domesticated animals such as livestock and pets suffer in it though, along with the four races. While it won't be an instant death if inhaled and getting used to it is possible, it is still toxic and will eventually kill a person with constant exposure.

Myrrh Tree: The sacred trees that grow in the far reaches and monster infested wildernesses. They are few and far between, there will never be more than one in any given area. The dew from the leaves of a myrrh tree purifies crystals.

Hotspot: An area in the wilderness that can change a crystal's element. The four known crystal elements are fire, water, wind, and earth.

Miasma Stream: A sinister gorge that divides the land up into sections. They change elements frequently and repel anyone who tries to cross with a crystal of the wrong element.

World Map

ffcc_map.png

Edited by Dragoncat

I think this is really nice background for people that haven't played the game themselves. I do think that the "poem" explanation for miasma might not be clear for new people, so to handle it without giving anything away- I guess you could describe how it works visually- something like,  that the atmosphere of the planet is covered in the miasma poison, but the crystal's have a little oxygen bubble around them (10 feet or so for the chalices, and the town's crystals cover the entire town+ small amount of the countryside for farming etc- ) which is how the main races manage to survive the poison atmosphere.

12 hours ago, Reality said:

I think this is really nice background for people that haven't played the game themselves. I do think that the "poem" explanation for miasma might not be clear for new people, so to handle it without giving anything away- I guess you could describe how it works visually- something like,  that the atmosphere of the planet is covered in the miasma poison, but the crystal's have a little oxygen bubble around them (10 feet or so for the chalices, and the town's crystals cover the entire town+ small amount of the countryside for farming etc- ) which is how the main races manage to survive the poison atmosphere.

I can put something like that in the lore if it's needed. But I think the poem straight from the manual is clear enough...plus, if somebody still doesn't understand, well, you just explained it for me.

Fun fact: turning Mog into an orange moogle named Chee? Because my cat is an orange tabby named Cheeto lol. And I don't think cheetos exist in the FFCC world. Also, in mythology, selkies are seal shapeshifters, hence the seal association. Headcanons yay!

You now have at least 4 more days before this starts...because the controllet didn't work with my phone so I had to order one that would. Heads up.

Link to the LP art/banner gallery added to the main topic OP. Be aware that it may contain spoilers. You can comment on the images here if you like.

Edited by Dragoncat