Good One-Chapter-Villains

Noni

8 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

She? Veyona is a dude.

The end in "a" probably messed it up for me, since that is generally a feminine trait in English. That and grannies sometimes go for the short hair look. Well don't I feel stupid now!:facepalm:

What does it say that my opinion of them suddenly dropped a bit realizing they're not a woman?

8 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If we are going with good Daein Bosses, they're is also Kasatai. It was kinda cute, how Ena expected him to run away and made him promise to not abandon her and he reacts full of hope, that they can now beat Crimea.

He's a terror with a Brave Lance and Wrath! Until you glance at his stats- a level 9 General with 14 Def and 15 Str over two thirds the way into PoR is laughable! While I understand why he was present, I feel he snubs Tauroneo, who gets no dialogue in the pre-fight despite being right there and a former Steadfast Rider. Tauroneo deserved some love; think of it as Ashy getting rid of the trashy he inherited from his daddy in the capital he has abandoned.

I was going to mention Novala earlier, the Shaman from SS C6. Why? Because of this one little line:

Novala:
“Hmph… Freakish old man (Riev). You should have watched. You might have learned something. I will capture the princess, and I will replace you at our master’s side. You will stew in regret, and I will enjoy every moment.”

It isn't odd to see a baddie backtalk against their boss, but I don't recall this ever happening among the dark mage/cultist types. They always seemed to be the pinnacle of loyalty.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The end in "a" probably messed it up for me, since that is generally a feminine trait in English. That and grannies sometimes go for the short hair look. Well don't I feel stupid now!:facepalm:

What does it say that my opinion of them suddenly dropped a bit realizing they're not a woman?

How many female Dark magic users have we gotten? I feel like I can only name Tharja. A random female dark mage would've been much more unique than dark mage #43.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It isn't odd to see a baddie backtalk against their boss, but I don't recall this ever happening among the dark mage/cultist types. They always seemed to be the pinnacle of loyalty.

Loyalty comes easy when you keep in mind what the average dark mage can do to punish disloyalty.

The ones who stood out to me were Mustafa (of course) and Pheros. Everyone has already talked about the former, so I won`t repeat what they`ve said.

With Pheros, for a one-off boss, I think she`s rather interesting. She also has, in my opinion, one of the best, if not the best, boss convos with Chrom. It gives her some nice backstory. Combine that with a cool design and you got a nice one chapter villan in my eyes. Sadly, to me, she also represents what the Valm arc could`ve and should have been about: clashing idioligies. The peace loving ways of Chrom/Emmeryn VS the rule through strenght ways of Walhart.

3 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

The ones who stood out to me were Mustafa (of course) and Pheros. Everyone has already talked about the former, so I won`t repeat what they`ve said.

With Pheros, for a one-off boss, I think she`s rather interesting. She also has, in my opinion, one of the best, if not the best, boss convos with Chrom. It gives her some nice backstory. Combine that with a cool design and you got a nice one chapter villan in my eyes. Sadly, to me, she also represents what the Valm arc could`ve and should have been about: clashing idioligies. The peace loving ways of Chrom/Emmeryn VS the rule through strenght ways of Walhart.

Ah yes, that boss from Valm. I knew I remembered her by her design at least.

Most of the others I'd have said have been mentioned already, but there's Gomes from Thracia 776. Guy's a monster of a boss, and while he wants to get the Purple Mountain gang back again to raid everyone, it's understandable because you know that Dagda's not been too great as leader for some time and it's hurt them the whole time.

I'll have to echo Mustafa and Pheros. I'll also have to mention Sygune from FE6 since she's shown to have her honor, saying that she won't go easy on Shanna and Thea just because they are fellow Illians.

I'll make an honorable mention to Gazzak for being the very first boss in Fire Emblem and basically set the trope of "fighting bandits/pirates in the first chapter".

10 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

How many female Dark magic users have we gotten?

• Sophia
  • Niime
  • Tharja
  • Nyx
  • Ophelia
  • Aversa kinda counts because of Shadowgift.

And that's it.

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm embarrased I missed the FE6 ones.

Niime is no looker, and nothing for anyone who loves growth units, but she caters to more efficiency/ease of use crowd. Compared to Raigh and Sophia, she needs no training to use at all, and comes with an amazing A Staffs too. Her Spd is on par with a 20/6 Raigh or 20/13 Sophia, and her Magic a 20/5 Raigh or 20/2 Sophia (her Skill exceeds a 20/20 Sophia's and Raigh's until 20/13). She's a late game goddess who can with 1-2 buyable Angelic Robes who can Nostank to S Dark for penultimate Apocalypse use about as strong as her competitors, and until then put that +5 Mag bonus to work with the Warp Staff.

Sophia- she's a latecoming growth unit, a girl, she doesn't look bad (but her Heroes art is too cutesy for me), with an interesting background. For all her many gameplay faults in FE6 and overuse of ellipses, she has room for a following.

Nyx and Ophelia are sort of forced into darkness, since there is no standard Mage in Nohr. Whether either of them would remain Dark Mages if a non-dark choice was available, I'm not sure. Nyx I think would be more likely to stay than Ophelia.

I'm not sure if he counts as a one-chapter boss, but Levail in Part 4 endgame 2 of Radiant Dawn was an interesting character. A young man who dreamed of being a knight in shining armour, only to end up learning the hard way that it meant loyalty to his master, in his case Lekain. So he ditches Lekain to serve Zelgius, who he sees as the last true knight. I thought he was interesting, especially his boss dialogue with Haar, who himself had ditched Begnion altogether to continue serving Shiharam. I thought it was fitting: have Levail fight a knight that was one of his childhood heroes, and Levail certainly thought it was an honour. After completing Radiant Dawn, I had developed a whole head-canon for how the Tellius games could continue. It involved the people of Tellius finding out that they're not the only continent left after all, and being invaded. In this head-canon, Levail survived this battle, along with a small handful of Begnion soldiers, and wanted revenge against Ike for killing Zelgius. But, when Ike eventually returns, and Levail has his chance to fight Ike, he realizes that revenge isn't what he wants (at the same time, Ike doesn't even remember Levail because he was concentrated on Zelgius for the entire fight), and Levail becomes a playable unit. That's how memorable he was.

I don't think he'd seek revenge and think more along the line of "Zelgius had one last good duel. Good for him". Levails generic Boss quote seemed to implie, that he is as duel-hungry as Zelgius and he shows no malice towards his opponents in general. But I could imagine some kind of respect-fueled revenge, where he feels no hate for Ike, but wants revenge out of principle and to fight the man, that could beat Zelgius.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Niime is no looker, and nothing for anyone who loves growth units, but she caters to more efficiency/ease of use crowd. Compared to Raigh and Sophia, she needs no training to use at all, and comes with an amazing A Staffs too. Her Spd is on par with a 20/6 Raigh or 20/13 Sophia, and her Magic a 20/5 Raigh or 20/2 Sophia (her Skill exceeds a 20/20 Sophia's and Raigh's until 20/13). She's a late game goddess who can with 1-2 buyable Angelic Robes who can Nostank to S Dark for penultimate Apocalypse use about as strong as her competitors, and until then put that +5 Mag bonus to work with the Warp Staff.

Sophia- she's a latecoming growth unit, a girl, she doesn't look bad (but her Heroes art is too cutesy for me), with an interesting background. For all her many gameplay faults in FE6 and overuse of ellipses, she has room for a following.

Nyx and Ophelia are sort of forced into darkness, since there is no standard Mage in Nohr. Whether either of them would remain Dark Mages if a non-dark choice was available, I'm not sure. Nyx I think would be more likely to stay than Ophelia.

I find it funny that the sole reason Niime isn't considered the Big 4 of FE6 is her jointime

The moment she joined FE6 the game might as well end lmao

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎11 at 12:02 AM, Noni said:

I don't think he'd seek revenge and think more along the line of "Zelgius had one last good duel. Good for him". Levails generic Boss quote seemed to implie, that he is as duel-hungry as Zelgius and he shows no malice towards his opponents in general. But I could imagine some kind of respect-fueled revenge, where he feels no hate for Ike, but wants revenge out of principle and to fight the man, that could beat Zelgius.

That was more what I was thinking, though, to be honest, I never put too much thought into it. It was just something that I thought of after playing Radiant Dawn. I thought wanting to beat the man that beat Zelgius, and I thought him losing his master/"last true knight" would cause at least a little bit of sadness at least. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2017 at 4:09 PM, Refa said:

70% of FE5's generic bosses.

Standouts probably being Largo, Cowen and Gomes.

I also like that FE5 portrays the bandits as generally being people pushed to the edge by the Empire(Bucks becomes an honest man if you spare him, Gomes outright saying that banditry was all that he had left to keep himself from starving to death before Dagdar made the Violdrake bandits become farmers), rather than people who pillage and kill for fun. Though Colho still does that.

Edited by Slumber