The lack of dual audio is now confirmed [EDIT - Day 1 Update Adds Dual Audio Option]

Gaia093

17 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Really? That annoys me, then. Surely, it can't be that much data usage, nor much time/effort to add the toggle option for voices. Why did they add the extra voice data in the first place?

Actually, it can be more of a drain to program features, even seemingly simple ones then people realize. They probably just ran out of time. Still, you can learn what the menus all do in english and then switch over to japanese. So its still good news for fans of the japanese voice actor.

Edited by wissenschaft

9 hours ago, Gaia093 said:

Again, those files are already included in the game card to begin with. That's why you can set your system language to Japanese and actually play a western copy of the game in full Japanese. Just like Breath of the Wild. This has already been confirmed to be so.

Literally the only thing a patch would be adding is the option to set those sound files directly through the menu, so that you can also have the English text. And that wouldn't take up any space at all.

Ah, okay. Nevermind then.

why are we surprised, we get dual audio once and now we expect every game in the series to have it

it's been 5 years since awakening came out

Cheers to more disapointment coming from FE Warriors

On 10/12/2017 at 9:55 AM, Florete said:

I wonder if Japanese players would like an option for English audio.

Not sure about the FE community but it has happened when later Call of Duty games came with Japanese only voices in the Japanese versions of the game.  The Japanese fans wanted the english voice option and even stated to want to boycott it.  So really, not much different from how we feel when the original language is no longer an option.

11 hours ago, kingddd said:

Not sure about the FE community but it has happened when later Call of Duty games came with Japanese only voices in the Japanese versions of the game.  The Japanese fans wanted the english voice option and even stated to want to boycott it.  So really, not much different from how we feel when the original language is no longer an option.

I get that perfectly. I always try to watch or play things in their original language (no matter which it is) whenever the chance is there, as it's the way the actual director, production team, etc. envisioned and meant it to be watched/played.

I am from Spain, and dubbing is huge here, to the point 99.9% of movies and series that come out are in Spanish (dual audio is almost always an option, though). And there's a lot of talent there, don't get me wrong, but... Would I rather see e.g. Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston with his actual voice and acting, or some dude trying to reinterpret it to the point it becomes something entirely different? Clearly the former. Similarly, if I watch a Spanish movie I wouldn't do so in any other hypothetical dub. Same goes for any Japanese production.

There's a lot of bad blood on the Internet regarding these issues, branding people who want a JP option as mindless "weebs" or whatever, yet often the reason is something as simple as the above.

(Apologies for the rant, it's just something I wanted to say for a while and this seemed a good moment)

2 hours ago, Gaia093 said:

I am from Spain, and dubbing is huge here, to the point 99.9% of movies and series that come out are in Spanish

I hear its the same for countries like France and to some extend Germany too. I wonder if its not actually a big weakness.

Dutch dubs seem to be on the rise recently but for the most part very little is dubbed in the Netherlands. If its not a kids show then its going to be in English and even some kid shows aired in English. The only game I can think of that got a Dutch dub was Luigi's mansion 2 which rather irked me. This constant contact with English ensured the langues is widely spread in the Netherlands while you hear that those countries who have everything dubbed for them are a lot less able(or willing) to speak English. It certainly was a big motivator to learn English for me. 

51 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I hear its the same for countries like France and to some extend Germany too. I wonder if its not actually a big weakness.

Dutch dubs seem to be on the rise recently but for the most part very little is dubbed in the Netherlands. If its not a kids show then its going to be in English and even some kid shows aired in English. The only game I can think of that got a Dutch dub was Luigi's mansion 2 which rather irked me. This constant contact with English ensured the langues is widely spread in the Netherlands while you hear that those countries who have everything dubbed for them are a lot less able(or willing) to speak English. It certainly was a big motivator to learn English for me. 

Yeah, it's definitely a big weakness when it comes to learning the language, I think - the average level of English here is pretty poor. I happen to know plenty of people my age from Portugal and the gap is obvious, mostly because they grew up pretty much on just subbed media and built it up from there.

Me, I basically learned it passively on my own because the things I wanted to watch and play when I was like 14 weren't available in Spanish, but if you don't have that kind of incentive, the contact with the language is minimal.

30 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Dual audio has been confirmed in the form of a free download.

OP, can you edit the topic title to avoid misleading people?

Sure. I didn't know I could edit the title. I'll get to it.

Earlier today I thought about asking for a lock since the thread is now obsolete, but since it was sinking down towards the second page I didn't think it'd be necessary.

I feel I should make one further clarification on the topic. The dual audio DLC does make you download the Japanese voice track, to the tune of 2.5 gigabytes. This would certainly not occur if, as you said above, the game cart already included the Japanese audio.

9 hours ago, CO_Fimbulvetr said:

I feel I should make one further clarification on the topic. The dual audio DLC does make you download the Japanese voice track, to the tune of 2.5 gigabytes. This would certainly not occur if, as you said above, the game cart already included the Japanese audio.

Indeed. It seems certain reviewers confirmed certain things without even checking them first. Oh well.