What are the good characters?

PerIg0716

Hello everyone! I am currently uploading a Fire Emblem Blazing Sword Let's Play on YouTube! I wanna ask who are the good characters because I always end up using the bad ones in my first few runs of FE7. Not just that I also wanna ask if I should use the arena because I will kinda struggle like spending an entire episode on 1 easy chapter. I wanna know who are the best characters to use based on their Stats, Growths, and Availibility because people will just say use Dorcas, Rebecca, or even Bartre which are some of the worst characters. By the way, I'm playing on EHM! If I should use the arena, then I should have picked HNM or HHM!

MY QUESTIONS:

Should I use the arena and train characters until Lvl 20?

Should I spend all my stat boosters on Eliwood and spend Secret Books on inacturate characters? (Optional)

Who are the best characters to use on EHM and my future HHM playthrough?

Is there any tips that can make a chapter easier? (Optional)

That's it for now guys! Thanks for saying who to use!

Edited by Perryigi
Update and stuff

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus

Pent

Priscilla

Harken

Vaida

Sain

Kent

Lowen

Raven

Heath

Florina

Farina

Fiora

Okay every prepromote because i can't be bothered to list all of them, except maybe Louise

Also Matthew is actually pretty terrible. He's only good on ranked run because of his boosted EXP. As a used unit his base combat is horrendous, he don't have 2 range, and he can only promote 80% into the game. You only need one thief, so just use the guy who joined after him since his stats is superior in every way

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Mostly the prepromotes (especially Marcus and Pent), cavaliers and fliers. Since you played Lyn mode, Kent, Sain and Florina should be trained up as well, so even better than usual. Honourable mention to Raven, Priscilla and maybe Canas for being none of the aforementioned things but still great. Oh, and Ninian/Nils is amazing of course.

Most axe-users and archers are bad, so stay away form those.

Kent and Sain are solid characters

Oswin is really great too if you don't leave him behind. Basically a second Hector!

Priscilla is probably your best healer but Serra is no slouch if you leveled her good in Lyn's Story

Raven is generally fantastic. Matthew is a decent thief but replace him with legault unless he gets really good Level Ups

Florina has early game advantage but I prefer Fiora the most. Florina is still good tho esp for Eliwood Normal Mode

Canas is a great unit just by virtue of being your only dark magic user

Dart -can- be fun if you don't mind a super fast super strong super inaccurate character. If you find the ocean seal he can become a berserker. He has one of the ebst supports in the game too, with Rebecca. Fire x Fire gives obscene crits and attack boosts.

Heath is a good flier if all your peg knights come out bad.

As for pre-promoted units, all are more or less useable, but the stand outs are....

Marcus, just don't let him suck up early game EXP needlessly (or waste his Silver lance uses)

Pent, he's just a solid all around magic user with flexible use

Harken and Karel are both great sword infantry units and both are basically RNG proof

Jaffar can basically replace Matthew/Legault as promoting either of them is no guarantee they'll come out good (and Jaffar is just solid all around and can still use lockpicks. Can't steal, though).

On 10/10/2017 at 9:51 PM, athena_57 said:

Mostly the prepromotes (especially Marcus and Pent), cavaliers and fliers. Since you played Lyn mode, Kent, Sain and Florina should be trained up as well, so even better than usual. Honourable mention to Raven, Priscilla and maybe Canas for being none of the aforementioned things but still great. Oh, and Ninian/Nils is amazing of course.

Not sure why Marcus is good but I heard he will do good when leveled up properly until the final chapters. Axe and bow users are terrible except Hector

I'd go with whoever you prefer. While some options may be "better", my experience leads me to believe that it's hard for a unit to not be viable on Normal mode. I've heard people say to never use units like Bartre and Rebecca, but I've used them with no problems.

Though I can say that Raven is fantastic unit and I would use him. Bonus points if you get the side-quest after his recruitment, the arena in the chapter makes catching him up with the group no problem at all.

9 hours ago, Perryigi said:

Not sure why Marcus is good but I heard he will do good when leveled up properly until the final chapters. Axe and bow users are terrible except Hector

He's good because he has great base stats and is on a horse. He does start falling off later in the game, as he doesn't get much exp from kills, but that shouldn't stop you from using him, as long as you don't abuse him too much. His strength is that he doesn't need to be leveled up to contribute, but will be one of your best units for a long time, without needing any investment.

But yeah, considering it's normal mode, you don't really have to worry about who's good, just use whoever you feel like using and you should be fine.

I went to ENM because Battle before Dawn is just a pain in the butt it is so hard Jaffar even got unlucky and died on Turn 2 but I wanted to play on Hector Normal. Bartre needs to be Lvl 5+ as Warrior to get Karla and Bartre is terrible he could not hit anything. Battle before Dawn, Night of Farewells, and Cog Destiny are extremely bad chapters

Marcus isn't THAT great mind, he has pretty awful sped and overkill skill. Still, he can carry you out of pinches until at least the Dread Isle chapters, if not to right after.

On 10/10/2017 at 7:21 PM, athena_57 said:

I beg to differ. Dart can do pretty good on his own...as long as you're not into the funds rank that much.

Archers..um, if you're talking sniper wise, there's only three of them and all of them are good if you put some effort to them.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

I beg to differ. Dart can do pretty good on his own...as long as you're not into the funds rank that much.

Archers..um, if you're talking sniper wise, there's only three of them and all of them are good if you put some effort to them.

Even if you don't care about the funds rank, the gold you get from selling his promotion item is very useful. As for archers, sure, Louise is decent, but not that great, and I really disagree regarding Wil and Rebecca. Both of them are just too much effort to train in the early game to be worth it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but why would you force yourself to use a bad unit in the earlygame to have a medium unit in the lategame? In the earlygame, all they do is chip for a bit of damage and even in the lategame, the best thing they will be able to do is kill 1 enemy per turn, whereas for example Lowen with a javelin or Pent with a tome can kill someone on player phase and continue fighting on enemy phase. Yes, Wil can be trained in Lyn's mode but even then I'd rather pump the exp into Florina and my cavaliers.

I feel like every available unit has their own valuable niche on normal mode. For example, even though Dorcas and Bartre have stats that might leave much to be desired in the long-term, they hit enemies quite hard in the early game. Because they're extremely unlikely to double, this allows weaker units like Rebecca to finish them off for some valuable EXP. 

It ultimately boils down to your own unique playstyle. I personally like to enlist a variety of classes and roles. I like having one or two mounted units and fliers, one or two speedy units, at least two mages and healers, one physical heavy-hitter, and one tank. Other players, however, may prefer to focus on mobility over diversity and deploy more horsemen and fliers. 

If ranking isn't an issue for you, feel free to experiment with different units! There's no wrong way to play the game as long as you aren't playing carelessly.

10 hours ago, Harvey said:

I disagree. He has a pretty rocky start, and his promotion item is a pain to find, not to mention better sold. As for archers, Louise is decent at least... but I can't say the same for Wil or Rebecca.

9 hours ago, athena_57 said:

Even if you don't care about the funds rank, the gold you get from selling his promotion item is very useful. As for archers, sure, Louise is decent, but not that great, and I really disagree regarding Wil and Rebecca. Both of them are just too much effort to train in the early game to be worth it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but why would you force yourself to use a bad unit in the earlygame to have a medium unit in the lategame? In the earlygame, all they do is chip for a bit of damage and even in the lategame, the best thing they will be able to do is kill 1 enemy per turn, whereas for example Lowen with a javelin or Pent with a tome can kill someone on player phase and continue fighting on enemy phase. Yes, Wil can be trained in Lyn's mode but even then I'd rather pump the exp into Florina and my cavaliers.

There are so many other ways to get as much gold as possible without using the ocean seal. Also, its funny that you say that Florina is more worth than training Wil or Rebecca when she also suffers from bad bases and is very fragile.

But then again, this is one of the games where archers are not favoured that much and this game is no exception.

However, Wil and Rebecca will do well if effort is done to train them. Wil is quite tanky and Rebecca with an A support Dart can be a killing machine not to mention that its one of the fastest supports.

Considering that this is a game where practically anyone can be used to solo the final chapter, Wil and Rebecca can be used if effort is put into them. Again, archers are not well suited in this game but it is doable.

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I disagree. He has a pretty rocky start, and his promotion item is a pain to find, not to mention better sold.

Well you get two secret books before you get him so he can use that to his advantage...and how is his promotion item pain to find? Its always at the bottom of the map and even in hard mode, its not randomized so its always at the bottom....

I will say that selling the seal may be worth it if you're recruiting Farina but that's about it. This game is very generous with its money so the ocean seal isn't the only way to make big bucks.

29 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Well you get two secret books before you get him so he can use that to his advantage...and how is his promotion item pain to find? Its always at the bottom of the map and even in hard mode, its not randomized so its always at the bottom....

I will say that selling the seal may be worth it if you're recruiting Farina but that's about it. This game is very generous with its money so the ocean seal isn't the only way to make big bucks.

I didn't just mean his skill - I meant everything other than his Strength and HP. Also, his promotion item is at the bottom... but some of the more useful items are elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I didn't just mean his skill - I meant everything other than his Strength and HP. Also, his promotion item is at the bottom... but some of the more useful items are elsewhere.

His skill is pretty much his main problem. His defense isn't much because he has good HP and resistance....yeah not gonna bother since a lot of units have low res...

Other items aren't that hard to get unless you want to unlock the gaiden chapter and then get them. Pent can easily one round a lot of units here and since the chapter is small and only atleast me has about four useful items, its doable. Just bring two fliers to drop Raven and a thief to the bottom left side of the map. The enemies at the bottom won't be hard to deal with as long as you plan it right.

51 minutes ago, Harvey said:

His skill is pretty much his main problem. His defense isn't much because he has good HP and resistance....yeah not gonna bother since a lot of units have low res...

Other items aren't that hard to get unless you want to unlock the gaiden chapter and then get them. Pent can easily one round a lot of units here and since the chapter is small and only atleast me has about four useful items, its doable. Just bring two fliers to drop Raven and a thief to the bottom left side of the map. The enemies at the bottom won't be hard to deal with as long as you plan it right.

His high HP only does so much when his defenses suck, and he can't dodge very well to start out.

From where I'm standing, there's three - Filla's Might, the Body Ring, and the Hero Crest.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

However, Wil and Rebecca will do well if effort is done to train them. Wil is quite tanky and Rebecca with an A support Dart can be a killing machine not to mention that its one of the fastest supports.

Except that can be said of anyone. Also, no matter how much training you give them, Wil and Rebecca can never get around their fatal flaw - their uselessness on Enemy Phase. And while Dart's Rebecca support might be fast, that's two slots devoted to subpar units, to say nothing of the inconvenience that is the GBA support system.

48 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Wil and Rebecca can never get around their fatal flaw - their uselessness on Enemy Phase.

Hey, I've made Rebecca very useful on enemy phase. I call it "strategy" and "optimal placement."

Disclaimer: I do not think Rebecca is actually a good unit, but I do think the "archers are useless on enemy phase" nonsense is...well, nonsense.

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

His high HP only does so much when his defenses suck, and he can't dodge very well to start out.

Doesn't mean that he's worthless though. Again, this is a game where anyone can be used since a lot have stated that enemies in this game are weak.

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Also, no matter how much training you give them, Wil and Rebecca can never get around their fatal flaw - their uselessness on Enemy Phase. And while Dart's Rebecca support might be fast, that's two slots devoted to subpar units, to say nothing of the inconvenience that is the GBA support system.

Wil has the upper hand that he can be trained in Lyn's tale. I get that Rebecca is kinda hard to train but it is way doable and not limited compared to Nino.

You do realise that Rebecca can be powerful once she gets the A support right? You make it sound like even all those potentials that she has isn't even worth a whole lot.

I get that she's a pain to train but again, this is a game where anyone can be used. Just because the archers aren't that great doesn't mean that they suck.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Doesn't mean that he's worthless though. Again, this is a game where anyone can be used since a lot have stated that enemies in this game are weak.

Wil has the upper hand that he can be trained in Lyn's tale. I get that Rebecca is kinda hard to train but it is way doable and not limited compared to Nino.

You do realise that Rebecca can be powerful once she gets the A support right? You make it sound like even all those potentials that she has isn't even worth a whole lot.

I get that she's a pain to train but again, this is a game where anyone can be used. Just because the archers aren't that great doesn't mean that they suck.

Yes, you can beat the game with bad/mediocre characters. Yes, archers can be made usable with enough babying. However, the question remains, why would you ever recommend them? If they're your favorite characters, sure, you can handicap yourself and use them. But when OP asks what the best characters are, I'm not going to name mediocre/usable characters, I'm naming the best characters. And you've got to admit neither Dart, nor Wil or Rebecca belongs in that list. I will agree that Dart is a lot better than Bartre and Dorcas, that does not mean he is anywhere close to the top tier characters though.

6 hours ago, Florete said:

Hey, I've made Rebecca very useful on enemy phase. I call it "strategy" and "optimal placement."

Disclaimer: I do not think Rebecca is actually a good unit, but I do think the "archers are useless on enemy phase" nonsense is...well, nonsense.

Well, maybe not completely useless, but still, their usefulness on enemy phase is extremely limited relative to other units.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Of course it doesn't, but it doesn't mean he's very rewarding either.

Which does a fat load of good when you realize that he can only hope to gain exp once a turn more often than not. And of course Rebecca's going to be easier to train than Nino. That ain't saying much.

And you do realize having to tether two units together to build support is hella inconvenient? Especially when the bonuses are rather underwhelming.

Sure, she's usable - I didn't try to say otherwise. But when it comes to recommending good characters, Dart, Rebecca, and Wil all don't belong on such a list.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, maybe not completely useless, but still, their usefulness on enemy phase is extremely limited relative to other units.

Of course it doesn't, but it doesn't mean he's very rewarding either.

Which does a fat load of good when you realize that he can only hope to gain exp once a turn more often than not. And of course Rebecca's going to be easier to train than Nino. That ain't saying much.

And you do realize having to tether two units together to build support is hella inconvenient? Especially when the bonuses are rather underwhelming.

Sure, she's usable - I didn't try to say otherwise. But when it comes to recommending good characters, Dart, Rebecca, and Wil all don't belong on such a list.

2 hours ago, athena_57 said:

Yes, you can beat the game with bad/mediocre characters. Yes, archers can be made usable with enough babying. However, the question remains, why would you ever recommend them? If they're your favorite characters, sure, you can handicap yourself and use them. But when OP asks what the best characters are, I'm not going to name mediocre/usable characters, I'm naming the best characters. And you've got to admit neither Dart, nor Wil or Rebecca belongs in that list. I will agree that Dart is a lot better than Bartre and Dorcas, that does not mean he is anywhere close to the top tier characters though.

But that's the point...why bother figuring out the best characters to use here when the game practically encourages you to use whoever you want to even on hard modes?

You guys are forgetting that FE also tends to have characters that you care about right? Like as in personalities and whatnot? Because if you're into that, then you can use those whom you love to use.

Anyways for best characters. I'm going to say pretty much every prepromote except Louise, Karel and Isadora. As for unpromotes...

Hector

Lyn

Sain/Kent

Raven

Oswin

Lowen

Florina/Fiora

Serra

Now I want to also say that Guy and Lucius are good but then here's the problem with that. Guy has low con and he needs a bit babying to start wielding heavier swords so he can start doing something and Lucius has low hp compared to Serra as well as low luck but on the flipside, he starts with C in staves upon promotion and he's a good magical tank overall. 

But if you can deal with their flaws, then they can be valuable assets to your team.

Edited by Harvey

27 minutes ago, Harvey said:

But that's the point...why bother figuring out the best characters to use here when the game practically encourages you to use whoever you want to even on hard modes?

You guys are forgetting that FE also tends to have characters that you care about right? Like as in personalities and whatnot? Because if you're into that, then you can use those whom you love to use.

I literally said that if you wanted to, you could still use them, even though they're subpar.  Heck, I usually use Fir in FE6, even though I know myrmidons are not that great of a class and Rutger is better. However, when someone asks me what characters are good in FE6, do I answer "Fir"? No, I wouldn't.

As for your question, why bother? Because when you know which characters are great, you can fill most spots with them and use those final spots for your favourites. So once again, I'm not saying you should never use Dart. I'm saying that if you're looking for good characters for a good ranking, completing the game easily or carrying your favourites, you shouldn't pick Dart for that.

EDIT: Also, why'd you say Lyn's one of the best characters? She's a swordlocked 1-range infantry unit, with meh damage output (yes, she crits a lot, but even then it's nothing special and pretty unreliable) and very bad survivability. Her personal weapons are somewhat redeeming features but still, there's no way she's among the best.

Edited by athena_57