TESTERS WANTED! Final test of this hack!

MrNight48

Need some players to do a beta test on my chapter 1 for ragefest echoes. Need as much data as possible as soon as possible. I am sad to say I have been playing Fire Emblem Heroes for too long and I can't trust my judgement in the testing phase at the moment. 

Have some images to make you curious

EzMKdrJ.pngcgyAYxX.png
eWVqw5q.pngEiy8xO1.png

What I am looking for:

- This hack is suppose to be brutal, if you can't beat it please tell me why. 

- If you can beat it tell me how you did it and in how many turns.

- Opinions and criticism on the overall difficulty and suggestions.

- Names have not been edited so bear with it 

Patch is attached, please get back to me as soon as possible. Preferably before monday. Going to spend the rest of the day coding chapter 2.

RFV Chapter 1 Demo.ups

Edited by MrNight48
To show something new was added

Hey, Marky can't seize the gate, did I missed anything?

wtf.PNG

EDIT: Nevermind.

Edited by L9999

I think I broke your chapter. While you have some creative ideas that pissed me off like the lady with Rescue, the hack is really easy to trivialize, and will explain you my problems with the hack.

#1. Rain

Rain is used to hinder the movement of the player's units. But in this hack it worked against the enemies because a lot of them are unpromoted or mounted. As you can see in the winning run the cavaliers present no threat whatsoever.

#2. Enemies

They are extremely weak. Marc OHKOs a good chunk of them and "Karel" ORKOs literally everything on the map with her brave bow. The enemies have faulty hit rates that let Marc and "Karel" survive more than intended, more if you RNG abuse. The boss is really pathetic, as Karel can quad her. The guard is easily dealt with, either by rigging a Killer Axe crit with "Geitz" or 2RKOd by Marc. The guarding enemies are pretty bad as well.

#3. Map Design

I think this needs adjustments. It is open space that with critical thinking you can figure out you can ignore parts of the map completely. It also lacks that flare that makes most* ragefest submissions memorable. No ambush spawns that speak memes, something annoying getting in your path. Just a couple of enemy dudes, and a boss that can be quadrupled.

I don't know how is the whole thing but here are my thoughts so far. Hope it helps.

Thank you very much and the way you beat it is insanely impressive because the horse units AI just switched to aggressive and dogpile you a few turns later and you dodged it.

Notes:

- So far working intended because once the rain turns off they will hunt you down as a massive group while the (bern) units move to block you. Think I am going to make the bern units more bulky to help slow down the player.

- Noted, the boss wasn't suppose to be that weak so will tweak her more. Might need to change the Merc enemies AI into what the beserker has.

- yeah I may need to do the flooding a little bit sooner or make certain groups more min/maxed. they are not slowing the player like I was hoping they would.

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed and definitely liked you showed how fast you tore it apart.

Yeah, be wary of Marky. It not may seem like it because he does his videos in a certain way (visiting all villages, checking units, and paths), but he is really quick in thinking ways to beat a chapter, and he knows really obscure methods to do so.

Noted, I know he has tricks up his sleeve when it comes to the gba engines. I'm just not sure if it's fair to balance around rng abuse or just allow it.

Also for those who already beaten it, if y'all don't mind, can y'all see if you can beat while visiting the village. (note the village closes automatically by accident but thats like in the 20 turn+) Want to see if the hack gets radically different opinions or if it's about the same.

Don't balance around RNG abusing. I do it a lot due to habit (FE6 HM, warpskips), but most players don't know how to do it. Marc only does it when he gets really pissed. I will do a winning run visiting the village.

EDIT: I messed up, but the village closed in turn 9. I have been able to visit it before it closes tho.

Edited by L9999

It took me this long because I'm bad at fire emblem

9awq4cP.png

but that's a first run with visiting the village and all the houses and killing just about everything in the process. (The two enemies in the image were peg knights spawning in the southwest corner way too late to do anything useful - at this point, everyone was practically hugging the north wall of the map.)

Basically the archer went up and hit the house for the robe (I held on to it for a few rounds but eventually had her eat it because it seemed like a good idea at the time) and the general wandered generally north-ish, while the rest headed for the village. The mage headed back to kill the reinforcements in the sw when they spawned, the hero hit the village, and the healer wandered around aimlessly (I kind of forgot she had a tome so she didn't get to use it much). After that, everyone headed for the exit except the general, who went for the houses in the nw, taking out the enemies on the way with the mage and archer's help since they were passing around there anyway. Something like this I guess:

PPvwCBW.png

As others have noted, it's pretty easy (even for a scrub like me playing super casually). Visiting the village was not a problem in the least (even though I somehow missed that the berserker had a swordslayer...)

I also feel the gimmicks fall a bit flat. Flooding is a neat idea, but there isn't enough of it, or early enough, to really matter. The druid with the warp staff could have been obnoxious/interesting, but by the time she spawned, the only character in range was the general, and he didn't need to go anywhere anyway since the rest were ready to hit the exit. Same really goes for the random "chaos theory" peg knight; it was slightly amusing, but by the time it showed up, I had already killed most everything anyway. Both might be more interesting if they happened earlier.

Thank you, it seems you too beat it before the flooding. (23-30 turns) and it is very nice to know you still beat it while doing everything. 

In short I need to design this in 20 turns instead of 30-40. 

As for the robe and torch staff, very damn important for chapter 2 or suppose to be anyway.  Was suppose to have it out earlier today but its looking like another 2 am job. Hopefully it will be done enough for you guys to test it while I adjust chapter 1.

I loaded my end-map state and hung around for a bit. The flooding does look neat, when it does happen! The map also gets considerably harder at that point, with all the flier spawns and the limited movement.

However, it limits movement a little too much - only the hero and sniper can move in water, and only one tile at a time, if it isn't raining. Which means:

• If the general or valkyrie get caught in the water, they're stuck in place forever because no one can rescue them.
  • If the mage gets caught, the only way to get him out is to rescue him with the hero.
  • But it doesn't seem like the last rain ever stops (I waited until like turn 60+) so it's entirely possible to be left in an unwinnable situation.

Preferably, I feel there should be a way for every character to move or at least be moved through water, but If nothing else, I recommend giving the mage water walking ability.

I see, will think about adding a little bit of movement through water. For the mage no, the flood is my way of giving the player a gameover and to punish them if they are too slow but in a slow creeping way. However it's not a complete shutdown if you kept the units who can forge through water alive and the lake tile did not appear. Visiting the chaos house clears the rain (but it can be overwritten and the last rain change is around the 40 turns I think). Visiting the Rescue lady stops the lake change to keep the water around the cave possible to walk on for the units who can forge through water and carry the mage. (plan to add the general to the list of river walkers.). As for the other units who get completely stuck, that is the point. Gotta go fast, which all of you did >.>

UPDATE: shit did not go as planned for chapter 2, the concept was a maze with 1 and only 1 overpowered enemy and nothing but traps in tharcia fog.  However I found out there is a limit to fire traps in general (Add fire 184 traps and the game does some very weird shit. Also found out there is purple light arrows that randomly kill units who are not even there. I would use this if the game wouldn't crash after walking through a certain part in the maze.) and it seems 80-90 is the safe number but pushing it. This also means this lowers the difficulty of the chapter as a whole.

So I am going to get creative, some traps will not work on purpose. The theme is madness so the op enemy won't always chase you.  Going to also add more poison traps to pick up the slack. May be more annoying but  hopefully gives more incentive to visit the shop in chapter 1 and demands healing item management. 

Hopefully I can get this done enough for y'all to test before the afternoon where I can't work on this while being elsewhere. Haven't even got to the adjustments for chapter 1 and that will most likely be monday.

Obviously there will be no 3rd chapter like I planned. Decided to cut that for now to polish chapters 1 and 2.  (Sadly it's kind of looking like I have to cut chapter 2) So expect 1 of the major changes in chapter 1 to be gameover if any character dies. 

First I would like to say thank you once again to everyone for testing my hack and providing feedback. Chapter 1 will be updated soon and hopefully posted up tomorrow. 

Next I need chapter 2 tested while I am fixing up chapter 1. This link will have chapter 2 included and I am also linking my sav file so one can skip straight to chapter 2 to test it.  Some things to know

- To beat the chapter you need to stand on the stairs tile in the red carpet room with enragement ring in hand or it's a gameover. 

- Time limit is 45 turns for now. If you get walled in the starting area consider it a gameover.

- No text put in yet, so know you can loot the corpse for vital items. It is required to win.

Things I want to know:

- How many turns you beat it and how

- How many times you died

- How many times Midas caught and killed you

- Did anything glitch

- If you were able to kill Midas

- Overall difficulty of the hack, trying something new that I haven't really seen in ragefest so let's find out if it's a good idea to begin with. 

Chapter 2 demo

Sav file

Good luck! (maybe)

19 hours ago, MrNight48 said:

However it's not a complete shutdown if you kept the units who can forge through water alive

It is, though, since the even ones who can walk through water can't do it if it's raining.

I wouldn't have an issue with it if you knew where the water was going to spawn, but as it is, it's like... you either beat the map before the gimmick comes into play (as everyone seemed to do) or you may just randomly lose. It's not difficult or interesting, just obnoxious. Whereas introducing terrain that slows the player a lot while enemies with superior mobility spawn might actually be tough.

Anyway, second part. I used my own save file since I had it already. Could have had poison cures if I thought of it... but I didn't bring any.

Losing the entire party is kind of... eh. I expect you're going to have an explanation for it, but... I was kinda expecting to see a party-based challenge that would maybe punish you for using up all your awesome weapons in the first chapter.

1 hour ago, MrNight48 said:

- How many turns you beat it and how

20 turns, and I headed east from the start, hit the chest, and then the exit. (Could technically have been 19, if I picked the right dark tile to step on.)

- How many times you died

Once, to a... trap or something? That did a lot of damage - I didn't see what it was.

- How many times Midas caught and killed you

Not even once. :smug:

- Did anything glitch

Yeah, there was some graphical fuckery at several points.

6PisSxL.png

Managed to catch one of them, I think it's a random trap arrow graphic glitching out. It also seems like my health would randomly go up and down (?) - I'd end a turn with full health,

hRoZ1nJ.png

then I'd see myself heal from like 10 to 20 points,

DLQoJ9P.png

then I'd see myself at full health (taking poison damage) when my turn rolled around again.

gT0NIjh.png

So I don't know what's up with that. Something weird also happened with the enemy's health bar - he used an elixir and healed up on his turn, then I saw his health go up again a little later in the same turn... it was trippy.

I think the green guy came back to life and died again at some point. Wasn't fast enough to cap it.

Also, I tried discarding the ring before standing on the stairs, but it seems doing so still wins the chapter.

Edit: Oh, here's another fun one!

YTIaUV9.png

Look, a random clone lord spawned in, took a bajillion points of damage and died! Aaaaand that's a game over. :facepalm:

- If you were able to kill Midas

Nah, but pretty close - he popped up near enough to attack at like... five points more health than I could have taken off. (~30ish hit rate though, so probably wouldn't have worked anyway.)

- Overall difficulty of the hack, trying something new that I haven't really seen in ragefest so let's find out if it's a good idea to begin with. 

It... wasn't really difficult, as such. You just hope the guy doesn't manage to path his way to you and instagib you, or the traps eat through your elixirs before you can accomplish your goal. The only skill it challenges is whether you can remember the layout well enough. (Or you cheat and screencap the map screen before the fog settles in.) It's actually pretty boring since you don't really... do anything. You can't do anything about the traps, and the only enemy is just an instant game over. You just walk and occasionally sip some elixir. The first chapter was honestly more fun.

(I did find myself thinking the map would be a perfect opportunity to play with light runes, though. So maybe try that?)

Edited by vilkalizer

I haven't played Part 2 yet, but @vilkalizer brings up a good point. Light runes really came out of nowhere and they don't come up into discussion or use in anything except for some really obscure tricks:

There is an old submission that was based on abusing the torch movement glitch, so perhaps Light Runes will be your life saver.

Edited by L9999

On the water stuff I am planning to allow certain units be able to walk on rivers during rain. Also there is a story reason why he is alone but the party comes back in the 3rd chapter. (wanted to meet the deadline but marc coming out with the video, I guess I can work on this one more week before I have to focus on real life stuff. Have to get really serious about my job before the full time position opens up.)

Notes on your chapter 2 run:

- Not as worse as I was expecting, was afraid it would be too easy or the chapter was so bad it should be scraped altogether. It also seems you got the speed clear too and I can shorten the time on the maze changes If I get more feedback that says the same. As for the challenge been thinking about adding 2 more op enemies to add in the chase especially with the light rune idea. (I have been trying for a very long time to design a chapter that uses light runes. my mafc failed submission was entirely created to use light runes lol)

-Very happy that's the worst thing that happened with the glitches, You didn't get the gba scream of death which means I just need to shave off a few more traps instead of a lot when I first put them in. The FE7 engine makes me depressed sometimes.  

- Screen capping the map is fine. You probably didn't see the gimmick of this chapter because once again I thought it would take y'all at least 21+ turns and wanted to give a lot of wiggle room in the testing phase. Once I get more data, will decide if I should add more changes to the map. 

Again thank you very much for the feedback. Means a lot to me.

Chapter 1 demo v1.1

What has been improved:

- music changes when entering houses

- Enemies buffed across the board, player units are balanced around 130 BST while Sentinel is Balanced around 140 BST

- Enemy Hit rates

- The time it takes to flood.

- Village no longer closes early

- Shops have better Items in it.

- Enemy Placement

What I want to know:

- Can you beat it and how

- If you can't beat it, why?

- How many times you get a game over

- Who keeps dying

- Can you do it deathless

- Were you able to visit the shop?

- Were you able to visit the village?

- Thoughts on the boss

- Overall opinion of the gameplay and gameplay only. (memes and jokes will be added later in 1.2)

Ignore chapter 2 for now, will be overhauled.

• 3 weeks later...

Woo boy these past few weeks have really pissed me off. Finished polishing chapter 1(not to mention finally beat it too). This is the final chapter 1 demo and if I get no feedback in a week, I am going to go ahead with my plan and release chapter 1 officially.

Download link: Final chapter 1 Demo

What has changed:
- More jokes/dialogue have been added
- Stats have been tweaked and enemies repositioned. 
- Player has more tools, shops also give more tools if you play wisely 
- Storm Armor

What is left
- custom music, learning how to do this so bear with the regular music for now
- portraits may get redone under my new system. yes most of the portraits are very old.
- Ending scene dialogue. maybe.

What I already know:
- luna's spawn point problem. can't find a fix for it but whatever, gameplay still works.
- Enemy hit rates, they are mostly based around Marc. Clair and Lyra are suppose to have more dodge while Broh/Kaiden are suppose to get hit more often. 

What I would like to know:
- Can you beat it
       - Yes, how?
       - No, why?

- How hard is the chapter? 
       - Fun hard or tedious hard? 
       - Why?

- Overall enjoyment

Again, if I don't hear anything in 1 week, going to assume it's the greatest chapter of all time and moving on to chapter 2.

Have some previews:

RFV_01.pngRFV_02.png

RFV_03.pngRFV_04.png

RFV_05.pngRFV_06.png

RFV_07.png

Edited by MrNight48

• 1 month later...

I played it once all the way through, with a couple of times I restarted because I forgot to look at the turn counter.  My final turn number was 15, though I suspect the other two times were around 10 and 14 respectively. I ended with 4 units still alive. My sniper perished near the end. I really appreciated her for her damage, but she died a lot. as did my valkyrie. It seemed as though some of my units had better movement capability than the enemy during the storm. I am thinking of my armored knight and my mage in particular. That really helped too. I got stuck up near that lake next to the boss for about 5 turns, trying to keep everyone alive. I visited the little huts and vendors (nosferatu was amazing) I didn't get the chance to visit the village, though. I was definitely trying not to engage for the most part. The chapter was fun hard, though perhaps a little harder than I would prefer in a multi-chapter game. I can see it becoming tedious hard. I think there was a spelling error in the first hut I visited. Over all worth playing for the one chapter. The next chapter looks pretty cool, from what I saw in-game.

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 1:06 PM, Sturges said:

I played it once all the way through, with a couple of times I restarted because I forgot to look at the turn counter.  My final turn number was 15, though I suspect the other two times were around 10 and 14 respectively. I ended with 4 units still alive. My sniper perished near the end. I really appreciated her for her damage, but she died a lot. as did my valkyrie. It seemed as though some of my units had better movement capability than the enemy during the storm. I am thinking of my armored knight and my mage in particular. That really helped too. I got stuck up near that lake next to the boss for about 5 turns, trying to keep everyone alive. I visited the little huts and vendors (nosferatu was amazing) I didn't get the chance to visit the village, though. I was definitely trying not to engage for the most part. The chapter was fun hard, though perhaps a little harder than I would prefer in a multi-chapter game. I can see it becoming tedious hard. I think there was a spelling error in the first hut I visited. Over all worth playing for the one chapter. The next chapter looks pretty cool, from what I saw in-game.

Thanks for the feedback. More or less in the expected ballpark and glad you found it worthy. 

Been awhile but I have been scripting and cramming a lot of bad jokes in chapter 2 as well as fixing the level design. Now it is finally ready to be tested.

RFV? demo v.2

Things I already know:

- music, no music changes, that will be done towards the end. need to get this out and tested while I am busy for the next few days.

- not being as good as chapter 1. that is the point, giving the player a bit of a breather before I ramp things over 1000.

Things I want to know:

- Did midas ever kill you?

- Did the map itself ever kill you?

- Did you feel if the maze gave you enough time to get what you needed to get?

- How you feel about the gimmick of this chapter. 

Once again, thank you for your help.

Pictures:

RFV_01.pngRFV_02.png

RFV_03.pngRFV_04.png

RFV_05.png

Edited by MrNight48

a lot of it was trial and error on figuring out which tile did what and after that it was pretty easy to avoid all the bad tiles and make it to the exit. I didnt even need all 5 uses of the light rune. just 1 was enough to trap him to prevent him from catching me to get to the exit.it took me 30 turns on my successful attempt to clear this. Never did find which dude had the chest key for the item in the chest.

Edit: did a few more play tests to see if i could get to all the bodies and chest. really not to hard at all to grab everything.

image.png.82430a5fb4aaefa4799e5578d2b421b4.png
inventory ended like this after 38 turns.

I died to the traps a lot at the start. some of the back flash scenes are way out of the way to watch. wastes too many turns to get those.

Edited by Chaz
redid test chapter a few times and found everything