Favorite soundtracks?

Ronnie

Speaking of overall soundtrack for each FE game. Which soundtracks do you have a preference for?

I really dig Awakening and Fates soundtrack as a whole. I've only heard bits and pieces of the other games' tracks and I liked what I heard.

For me Sacred Stones will always be the soundtrack that makes me think of Fire Emblem the most-

However, I find Fates and Awakening, and to lesser degree SoV to be much more interesting and technical.

I also really love about 5 tracks in DS emblem, but the rest of the music in the Arachena games (esp a lot of the battle themes) just blurs together.

I have mixed opinions about Path of Radiance.

Genealogy is good but somewhat old-fashioned. With a lot of the best SNES soundtracks (for non-FE games) you can feel that they go beyond what the technology's limits to achieve their timeless quality, while Geneaolgy has a VERY SNES-like sound, especially in the "rising portion" of tracks like Prologue, C5, C8, and C10 . For me, I feel like Genealogy's sound track is TOO defined by the SNES for me to consider it a really outstanding soundtrack. It's still good though. Probbably my 5th favorite FE soundtrack 

It might be bias bc it's my first but Radiant Dawn's is so epic to me. I love that the extra section has an OST room. I also enjoyed Fates, mainly because I liked how the music reflected the countries. I appreciated the instruments used for both Nohr and Hoshido. SoV also has awesome music, with Mila's Divine Protection being one of my favorite FEs.

1 minute ago, Reality said:

Genealogy is good but somewhat old-fashioned. With a lot of the best SNES soundtracks (for non-FE games) you can feel that they go beyond what the technology's limits to achieve their timeless quality, while Geneaolgy has a VERY SNES-like sound, especially in the "rising portion" of tracks like Prologue, C5, C8, and C10 . For me, I feel like Genealogy's sound track is TOO defined by the SNES for me to consider it a really outstanding soundtrack. It's still good though. Probbably my 5th favorite FE soundtrack 

Have you heard the updated versions? It sounds pretty good. It kept some of the SNES flair too.

As for non FEs, The Last Story has an excellent soundtrack as well.

Sacred Stones by far has the most favorite tracks I like (Comrades, The Battle Must be Won, Powerful Foe, Princes Despair, Arena theme, the Final Battle, most of the map themes, Ray of Hope). Blazing Sword is probably next (Rise to the challenge, Strike, Across the Plains, Eliwoods map theme). Then Echoes (all the versions of the battle theme, Heritors of Arcadia, What Lies at the End, Undaunted Heroes, Cipher theme, Unity), New Mystery (Tearing Shadows, Dark Emperor Hardin, Chris's map theme), Then Awakening (ID Purpose, ID Hope, Conquest, Champion, Duty) followed by Fates (Dusk Falls, Shigure End of All, Alight, Perplexing Dreams, Road Taken, Thorn in You, Path of the Hero King) and then Shadow Dragon (We've got Trouble, Together we Ride, Map 1)

I have yet to fully experience PoR/RD but shout outs to the Devoted.

As for other game's soundtracks, have you guys not heard Xenoblade Chronicles and Bravely Defaults?! Also honorably mention to Kid Icarus Uprising.

1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

Have you heard the updated versions? It sounds pretty good. It kept some of the SNES flair too.

I have got to say that the updated versions help a bit- 

However there is this other problem with the soundtrack- (other FE games have it but not as bad) and that is how it sounds in gameplay as opposed to as a detached OST. The main thing is that you will be hearing the enemy phase music right after the chapter themes... And Genealogy's enemy phase music is awful (especially gen 1).. It had some cool ideas with giving each different country's armies their own music, but most of the enemy phase music is either way too chipper or else goes infor a "ponderous " feeling. Some of it is catchy but... sounds like it came from a different game. ALL of it is at  odds with the  main music tracks in the game. 

I think the 3DS Fire Emblems have the best soundtracks in the series.

The GBA games have some pretty sweet tracks.

I haven't really heard a lot of the Tellius soundtrack.

Mystery and FE4 have alright soundtracks, though Holy War in the former is really good and so is Eldigan the Lionheart in the latter.

As for outside of FE, Xenoblade Chronicles, as a series, has the best music out of all of Nintendo's franchises imo.

It's a really, really close call between Genealogy, Awakening, and Sacred Stones for me. I love the unique music for every chapter in Genealogy, it really helps to give each map its own identity, and the various enemy phase and castle themes for different armies/regions are a nice touch too. I'm also a sucker for individual character themes, which Genealogy has a surprising amount of, more than the majority of (if not all of the other) FE games. Awakening and Sacred Stones are very nostalgic though, and I still hum some of the melodies without thinking about it sometimes. I think Genealogy might edge out the others by just a bit, but all of them have memorable melodies, great instrumentation, and fit well within their respective games. Thracia and Echoes get honorable mentions for being almost as good as the other three, but just barely falling below them.

The 3DS game progressively got better in my opinion. When I first played Awakening, I thought that soundtrack was one of the best I had ever heard (behind Xenoblade, of course). But Fates blew it completely out of the water, and in my opinion was one of its (few) redeeming qualities.

... Then came Echoes, and it somehow managed to become even better than Fates.

Aside from the 3DS games, Sacred Stones was good, though I think Binding Blade/Sword of Seals was the best of the pre-Awakening era, with a specific shout out to Shaman in the Dark for being one of the best final battle themes in the series.

Just now, Rex Glacies said:

Aside from the 3DS games, Sacred Stones was good, though I think Binding Blade/Sword of Seals was the best of the pre-Awakening era, with a specific shout out to Shaman in the Dark for being one of the best final battle themes in the series.

Shoot, I kinda forgot about Binding Blade. Agreed fully with the final boss them, it's outstanding. Add Binding Blade to my list of contenders for the best soundtrack.

6 hours ago, Reality said:

I have got to say that the updated versions help a bit- 

However there is this other problem with the soundtrack- (other FE games have it but not as bad) and that is how it sounds in gameplay as opposed to as a detached OST. The main thing is that you will be hearing the enemy phase music right after the chapter themes... And Genealogy's enemy phase music is awful (especially gen 1).. It had some cool ideas with giving each different country's armies their own music, but most of the enemy phase music is either way too chipper or else goes infor a "ponderous " feeling. Some of it is catchy but... sounds like it came from a different game. ALL of it is at  odds with the  main music tracks in the game. 

Oh yeah that's true. Or the enemy music is too simple, like they were creating the enemy themes on a small budget and/or small amount of time...which could've been the case tbh. The enemy phase music is a lot weaker compared to the allied music. It was a nice touch that different castles had different music though.