How would you introduce the Awakening trio if you had to?

Alastor15243

So I personally think the Awakening trio was introduced into the game... pretty damned poorly. Mostly because all three of them should be sufficiently smart and strong of character to realize that they were fighting for the wrong side.

Personally, what I would've done is have them deciding to set off together on their own interdimensional adventure, only to have Inigo and Severa get separated from Owain during the trip and wind up on opposite sides of the continent without any way of knowing that they even wound up in the same dimension and with no way to get back, and by the time of the story they're ten-ish years older.

Inigo and Severa show up in Conquest (assuming Nohr isn't evil in this alternate continuity) as a pair of prepromotes, a hero and a bow knight respectively, working as independent sellswords rather than for Nohr directly, and can be recruited... but more importantly...

And a part of me will always hate that they didn't do this...

Owain has become an eccentric bearded hermit master Basara in the mountains of Hoshido with his two disciples, a perky diviner girl who idolizes him, and a sulky spear fighter boy who only puts up with him because he's skilled and also the only person who will teach him.

I seriously cannot understand why they made the Basara class and did not put Owain into it.

How would you have handled them if you had to choose?

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Personally, what I would've done is have them deciding to set off together on their own interdimensional adventure, only to have Inigo and Severa get separated from Owain during the trip and wind up on opposite sides of the continent without any way of knowing that they even wound up in the same dimension and with no way to get back, and by the time of the story they're ten-ish years older.

Here was what I wrote:

The Awakening trio ended up in Nohr when they left the Awakening world after Grima’s defeat and passed through the Outrealm Gate with the rest of the child crew. It just so happens they ended up separating from the rest of the bunch accidentally (depending on who you ask, its Inigo’s perversion (touching some girl’s rear during the world shift got him slapped/punched and bumped into the other two as a result), Owain’s bombast got out of hand (magical world transfer into the infinity of universes!), or Severa’s attitude (no reason) that led to the mess up). While they want to find the rest of the pack eventually, that is a big challenge. Plus, they like this world they’ve stumbled into, and so they opt to stay awhile, at least until there’s peace and then they can venture into the outrealms again. Their arrival happened a little less than 1 to 3 years before the start of the game.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Magical world transfer into the infinity of universes!

And I now have my signature quote for Owain every time the group goes through the Dragon Gate in my story. Apparently I should just be combing all your old posts looking for gold.

On Topic: I probably would have kept them the same as in the game, but made it so you could talk to each with Corrin in the respective Chapters you first fight them in, and talking to them would have made them somehow realize they were on the wrong side and defect. Also, why is the Basara so perfect for Odin?

If nothing about the story would be changed, including the circumstances by which the trio enters this world, I would either have there be some internal strife between them that prevents all of them from joining during you in certain paths (the strife would revolve around how best to save the world of Fates) or make it so that they can join in any path.  Though even then, it'd still be so stupid and contrived.

Personally, I'd rather just cut out Anankos's involvement with them entirely.  They just stumble into the world and do what they will.  Maybe mercs, maybe hermits, maybe they intended to go there, maybe they didn't...  Whatever the case, I don't want them to have much interaction with the big shots until after the game starts.  No Anankos, and very little nobility.

I think it'd be most ideal if they were little more than references, though.  Maybe they look exactly like the trio and behave similarly, but they aren't at all the same characters and have actual stakes in the war.  As much as folks crap on the Awakening Hoshidan child trio in this game, at least they weren't literally the same characters as the ones they were based off of.  I just don't like that we're needlessly dragging these characters into a different world just because they're popular.

34 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Also, why is the Basara so perfect for Odin?

Because it's a quirky class that takes advantage of his moderate growths in both strength and magic...

I assume, anyway.  I definitely think it'd probably work out better for him than being forced to be either a mage or a swordfighter.  I'd be down with either that, Oni Chieftan, or one of the physical weapon-wielding healer classes (Butler, Great Master, etc.).  In fact, I think the last would work quite well since his mother was a healer.  Though this all would also assume he has improved growths in this regard, or starts with good bases.

I wouldn't have made them retainers at all, maybe one of them but only because I could see it being likely. But otherwise, I'd have had them bail you out from a tough battle by a timely arrival in which their appearance "tips the scales" if you will. That way, they're not restricted to a path and the one that seems like they are can be recruited regardless of path.

Didn't really think on a story point for their arrival though, Outrealm Gate maybe?

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Also, why is the Basara so perfect for Odin?

Because they’re eccentric mageknights with overly-flashy battle animations and a skill named with an adjective that is literally named after Don Quixote. Owain is perfect for the class.