Anyone here knowledgeable of cultural views, current events, or social norms? Need help with the application of a quote.

Fryer

"Whatever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important that you do it."

I have been given this quote from my modern history class and I need to find ways in which it can be applied to the 21st century society. Anyone know any way it can be applied? I mean in terms of articles, popular culture, etc. I am in quite a loop for my modern history class' assignment and I need some ideas.

Voting, most likely. Really it could also apply to any activity that maintains law and order; breaking some small law might seem insignificant if only you do it but if everyone did it society would fall apart. Really any small action that is needed to keep society functioning; cleaning the streets, conserving water, etc.

50 minutes ago, blah the Prussian said:

Voting, most likely. Really it could also apply to any activity that maintains law and order; breaking some small law might seem insignificant if only you do it but if everyone did it society would fall apart. Really any small action that is needed to keep society functioning; cleaning the streets, conserving water, etc.

Yeah, this. I guess an example would be...not feeding the chipmunks in a state park. I got on my brother once for doing that and he pretty much said no big deal, but if everybody did it, the chipmunks would forget how to feed themselves. They would either starve, get hit by cars trying to be fed, bite people...etc.

I think that can apply to a lot of different contexts. 

The voting and law side have already been discussed, but here's a couple of quick ideas off the top of my head.

If you're talking in actual social terms, saying "hello" to someone or giving them a compliment may seem like a small insignificant thing to do, but if everyone does it to one another it makes society and humans function together well. Making others feel happy and important not only benefits their well-being, but also yours.

The same could be said for things like recycling. Even if it may seem like a small thing, if everyone does it then it contributes to less waste and a longer existence of the ecosystem. If everyone littered then there would be so much rubbish everywhere, so stopping yourself, however insignificant it may seem, will benefit everyone.