Simplifying and correcting the Experience calculations

Paper Jam

Looking at the Calculations pages for Binding Blade, Blazing Blade, and Sacred Stones, I've spotted some errors that I thought I'd draw attention to.

For example, the "Assassinate Coefficient" in the calculations pages of Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones is given as ~1.8, but this is incorrect; it is 2, but not applied to the Experience from Doing Damage.

I tested this in "Night of Farewells" by having Jaffar damage a non-promoted enemy without killing him (for which he got 3 experience), having him kill the same enemy without Silencing him (for which he got 3 experience), and having him Silence the same enemy (for which he got 3 experience). This shows (1) that Jaffar was at such a high level that he got no more experience from killing the enemy than just damaging him, and (2) that the Assassinate Coefficient does not apply to Experience from Doing Damage.

I have some other qualms about the Calculations pages, such as how verbose they are, and so I've rewritten them as follows (correcting any errors proven by my experiments). It may not make much sense to those who do not know algebra, but frankly there's no way to make it make sense without knowledge of algebra. Study your math, kids!

And, of course, as with all algebra, the Order of Operations is in full effect.

C: Class coefficient: 1 for Journeymen, Recruits, Pupils, and Entombed; 2 for Thieves, Soldiers, Clerics, Troubadours, and Manaketes; 3 for all other classes, including Assassins, Rogues, Bishops, and Valkyries.

L: Level

P: Promotion modifier: 20 for promoted classes; 0 for non-promoted classes.

R: Promotion modifier: 40 for Assassins, Rogues, Bishops (F), Bishops (M; FE8 only), Valkyries, 60 for all other promoted classes, 0 if not promoted

e: Enemy unit's; e.g. “Le” means enemy unit's level.

u: Your unit's; e.g. “Cu” means your unit's class coefficient.

B: Boss bonus: 40 if enemy is a Boss; 0 if not.

T: Thief bonus: 20 if enemy is a Thief, Rogue, or Assassin; 0 if not.

Z: Entombed bonus: ~40 if enemy is Entombed; 0 if not. (Based on level 2 Seth defeating the level 1 Entombed boss of chapter 4 in FE8 and getting 100 Experience)

S: Silencer coefficient: 2 if the enemy was defeated by an Assassin's Silencer ability; 1 if not.

M: Mode coefficient: For FE7: 2 if playing Eliwood Normal Mode or Hector Normal Mode AND if Lu * Cu + Ru > Le * Ce + Re; 1 if not. For FE6 and FE8: 2 if playing on Easy or Normal Mode AND if Lu * Cu + Ru > Le * Ce + Re; 1 if not.

D: Experience from doing damage: (31 + Le + Pe - Lu - Pu) / Cu; minimum 1

Experience from not doing damage: 1

F: Base experience from defeating: S * [20 + B + T + Z + (Le * Ce + Re - Lu * Cu - Ru) / M]; minimum 0

Total experience from defeating: D + F; maximum 100