IS should add Cavalry Sabres into FE

Valmese Soldier

Mounted physically offensive units seem "okay" to me, so I think there should be a weapon out there to make them better or at least stand out more. Intelligent Systems, if you're listening, I hope you're able to add Cavalry Sabres as a special type of sword in a future installment of Fire Emblem. My idea for them is basically, when used by a non-mounted unit with the ability to wield swords, they're slightly weaker swords comparable to other swords for their level, but when used by a horse-mounted unit with the ability to wield swords, they give bonuses, such as higher physical offense, skill, speed, crit chance, etc. I'm betting this is much more likely to happen then my firearms idea. They'd be a pretty interesting mechanic I think.

Plus, Cavalry Sabres are really beautiful swords :) 

Spoiler

4H3S0101.jpg

cavalry-charge-george-ganciu.jpg

CSA_Cavalry_Saber_Civil_War_Officer_Swor

Edited by Valmese Soldier

This is a cool idea I'm willing to stand behind. From my understanding, cavaliers from history generally had different weapons from common infantry, so actually giving then different weapons is a neat idea. And yes, sabers are beautiful. Not as beautiful as rapiers, no, but they are close.

The only problem, of course, is balance. Cavaliers have generally been quite strong units across Fire Emblem (though they never turned out that good to me) so giving then an additional perk without a nerf might not be good. Perhaps dismounting should return, so they won't be buffed in certain chapters/locations? Or maybe other types of classes should receive personal weapons as well? Maybe enemy units can have more horseslayers and rapier-like weapons to deal effective damage - with said weapons unable to be equipped by cavalry?

Another idea to make cavalry stand out: incorporate Partia's idea of having cavalry gain attack power the farther they've moved in a straight line that turn. Also, have a horseplayer be made a Pike, and give it to more units for balance.

Well, how would you balance it though? Calvary already has the perk of being able to travel faster than most other units (save fliers), and giving them a weapon that just makes them more powerful will make infantryman less viable to their mounted counterparts. If Calvary Sabres become a thing, then I would like Thani to be back as nonexclusive.

But I do like the design of the Calvary Sabres, maybe if the lord wielded one or only a special group of elite knights could wield it (i.e. your Christmas knights + Jagen can, but your reclassed cavalier can't.), then it wouldn't be too overpowered.

5 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Well, how would you balance it though?

Shouldn't be too hard, honestly. It's always possible to cut the Numbers of mounted units elsewhere, be it class bases, skills, or (if they matter) caps. If you take @blah the Prussian's idea, you could make it so that cavalry deals less damage than infantry unless they're able to charge into the enemy, which could be quite the nerf if the game is enemy phase-heavy.

Personally I'd balance it (since as others have said being mounted is already a huge advantage) by making it a gimmick only mounted sword users could make use of but is tricky to do. Like maybe the bonus of increasing damage whenever you attack somebody after moving seven or more spaces away from the turn's starting point?

Only if infantry get proper buffs. As it is already, we have a huge issue of the games being Horse Emblem.

Though to be honest the only real way of knocking cavalry down a peg is through map designs and forced dismounting for certain maps, like indoor areas.

Edited by Tolvir

Well, that's why you have large formations of enemy spearmen. That way, cavalry would only really be useful for charging the flanks of the enemy, or after the frontline has been broken. you'd still need infantrymen for a frontal assault.

On 10/18/2017 at 1:52 AM, blah the Prussian said:

Well, that's why you have large formations of enemy spearmen. That way, cavalry would only really be useful for charging the flanks of the enemy, or after the frontline has been broken. you'd still need infantrymen for a frontal assault.

That's what I like about battle for wesnoth. Cavalry are powerhouses who have an ability that lets them double the damage they deal and take when they initiate the attack. The thing is that they're universally weak to piercing weapons, and spearmen not only have percing weapons but also first strike, so if you try to charge spearmen... god help you.

11 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

That's what I like about battle for wesnoth. Cavalry are powerhouses who have an ability that lets them double the damage they deal and take when they initiate the attack. The thing is that they're universally weak to piercing weapons, and spearmen not only have percing weapons but also first strike, so if you try to charge spearmen... god help you.

Thanks for the recommendation!