Best units to use on ranked runs?

Harvey

In general, units who can grant you a lot of experience. Priscilla, Serra, and Ninian can grant you a lot of what is essentially free experience due to how their classes function. Matthew and Legault have a class experience bonus, so raising them to 20 is good. Aside from that, pretty much anyone who's good out of ranked is also good in ranked. On hard mode you need to cycle through pretty much everyone to gain enough experience for 5 stars, though. Be wary of Dart and Farina, though, since they have hefty costs associated with them (Dart's promotion, Farina's recruitment). And don't overuse early prepromotes.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

And don't overuse early prepromotes.

But do use Marcus to clear maps that don't give much EXP quickly, so you'll have spare turns on EXP rich maps later so you can feed it all to the weaklings.

And for your Funds rank, don't promote too many units (Fell Contracts and Heaven, Ocean and Earth Seals are very bad), use too many stat boosters, or use the non-Aureola S rank weapons at all.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

But do use Marcus to clear maps that don't give much EXP quickly, so you'll have spare turns on EXP rich maps later so you can feed it all to the weaklings.

And for your Funds rank, don't promote too many units (Fell Contracts and Heaven, Ocean and Earth Seals are very bad), use too many stat boosters, or use the non-Aureola S rank weapons at all.

Yes @ Marcus. Don't overuse him, but don't be afraid to use him to save some early turns. There's a kind of middle ground here that's tough to explain, but basically make sure you are still getting levels on your other units while he's helping.

Heaven and Earth Seals are pretty safe as long as you're watching your funds overall. They're the effective value of two normal promotion items, so if you promote something like 6 units and 1-2 use a Heaven or Earth Seal it's not going to make a noticeable difference. Although a player should be able to avoid using any Earth Seals simply by properly planning their team and actually acquiring all promotion items.

Oh so there are no particular units that are best for ranked runs then....oh well.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm bothered with this. I just assumed that a ranked run is a lot harder to do than the actual hard modes with some saying that this x unit is worth using casual runs but not worth on ranked runs etc etc etc...

36 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Oh so there are no particular units that are best for ranked runs then....oh well.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm bothered with this. I just assumed that a ranked run is a lot harder to do than the actual hard modes with some saying that this x unit is worth using casual runs but not worth on ranked runs etc etc etc...

It is certainly harder than playing casually, but it's less about who you use and more about how you play. Still, as I mentioned, units like Priscilla and Serra are very significant in ranked, definitely more than they are normally. And then there's Dart and Farina, who take a hit in ranked due to funds. Thing is, you've still got to beat the game, so most units who are good otherwise are still going to be good and vice versa.

I've been toying around with a personal tier list and mini guide for S ranking HHM. If there's actually interest I could consider posting it.

Just to echo Florete, your utility units are really viable on ranked runs. Serra, Priscilla, Ninian, and Nils are fantastic for ranked runs because they don't compete for EXP as your offensive units have to. (Ninian and Nils have no competition at all)

In general, you can use any unit in a ranked run, however, some units are a little hurt by ranked runs. Prepromotes, Dart, and Farina in particular. Prepromotes don't gain as much EXP from kills as other units. Although I'm not saying you should bench them, but be very mindful about how much you use them. You may need Marcus or Pent on a couple of maps.

As for Dart, he's expensive to promote and Farina is expensive to recruit, so you may want to bench Dart and kill Farina (if you're on Hector's path). You can still use them if you would like though. If you do good money-wise and really like Farina, go for it- she's a decent unit. Dart also has a cool niche as well. I wouldn't use them both at the same time though, if you do plan on using either one.

As for everyone else, not much different, tbh.

You need to go through ENM anyway to unlock HNM and EHM, so I suggest first worrying about getting S rank in ENM, keeping track of how many turns you took and how many units you promoted (those being the biggest hits to your Tactics and Funds ranks respectively).

Funds and Tactics will be tighter in HNM, but it is still possible to recruit Farina and keep your Funds rank at 5 stars. I never really had much trouble with Funds, but then I'm quite conservative in my use of weapons; I almost never use anything other than E-rank weapons. And I make use of the arena every turn I can (which, to be fair, isn't that many turns in Normal mode, but still enough to amass enough gold to afford Farina without selling anything).

Hard Mode is quite different: The presence of the Silver Card and the greater leniency of the Tactics requirements in the arena chapters allow you to amass much more Funds than you could in Normal Mode. The rank that gave me the most trouble in Hard Mode was Experience, because your units get much less experience for defeating lower-level enemies in Hard Mode than in Normal Mode.

To compensate for this, I recommend "juggling" your units in every chapter: Always deploying your lowest-level unit and making sure that that unit gets plenty of kills.

I know that was pretty long-winded. To sum up: Use whomever you like when S-ranking the Normal modes, and use everyone when S-ranking the Hard modes.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread and you probably aren't interested in doing a ranked run anymore, but you pretty much need to use everyone to get an S-rank anyway. However, there are some recommended units that are worth using through the whole game (rather than as scrubs for a couple of chapters to get easy exp).

Raven

Fiora

Kent/Sain

Lowen

Heath

Are among some of the best guys. If you used Lyn mode to raise some units, then Florina suddenly becomes really good (she's not great otherwise because of her middling bases)

Marcus is your best unit for quite a while, probably around chapter 20 when EXP becomes a bigger issue than it already was before.