What would you recommend to play?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What 3DS FE should I play?

• Awakening
    • Conquest
    • Birthright
    • Echoes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/18/2017 at 01:00 PM

Hey,

Its been a long time, since I was active (not lurking in the shadows) and recently I had the urge to go and buy one of the 3DS FE titles.

If you could kindly consult me about what game I should get, that would be nice.

I know, many may not like them or even hate them, but I am still asking for (if possible) objective opinions, why I should or should not get game X. Meaning a reply like "Buy game X, cuz good waifu" is something I often see on non-Serenes Forest forums with unreasonable children.

PS: If I seemed rude, then I apologize. But recently, I have encountered many kids in fandoms where I also lurk around with this kind of attitude, which increases my salt-level.

PPS: If there are any mistakes, english is sadly not my native language.

Edited by Macoal

It all depends but i'm gonna have to narrow it down to three factors: gameplay, story, and characters

Gameplay: For gameplay, i recommend Fates: Conquest. Imo, it not only has the best gameplay out of the 3DS games but the best gameplay in the series in general. All the mechanics are balanced around each others and, aside from a few chapters, nothing is too frustrating.

Story: Echoes. Echoes has the best written story of the 3DS games imo. It still has it's flaws but it doesn't have any inconsistencies or plot holes like Awakening, nor is the story garbage like in Fates.

Characters: All of them. Awakening, Fates, and Echoes all have great characters. Echoes in particular is fully-voiced, making the characters truly feel alive. Echoes' voice acting is some of the best i've ever heard, right up there with Kid Icarus Uprising.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It all depends but i'm gonna have to narrow it down to three factors: gameplay, story, and characters

Gameplay: For gameplay, i recommend Fates: Conquest. Imo, it not only has the best gameplay out of the 3DS games but the best gameplay in the series in general. All the mechanics are balanced around each others and, aside from a few chapters, nothing is too frustrating.

Story: Echoes. Echoes has the best written story of the 3DS games imo. It still has it's flaws but it doesn't have any inconsistencies or plot holes like Awakening, nor is the story garbage like in Fates.

Characters: All of them. Awakening, Fates, and Echoes all have great characters. Echoes in particular is fully-voiced, making the characters truly feel alive. Echoes' voice acting is some of the best i've ever heard, right up there with Kid Icarus Uprising.

I agree with most of this, although I do think Awakening did the characters best (playable ones at the very least).

Also, you can't buy Fates:Revelations without buying either Conquest or Birthright, so it should probably not be an option in the poll, just saying.

30 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

Also, you can't buy Fates:Revelations without buying either Conquest or Birthright, so it should probably not be an option in the poll, just saying.

Thanks for bringing that up. Updated the poll, like you said.

Between BR and CQ, it'd depend on whether you value a hard-as-balls challenge or the ability to grind freely more.  Conquest is more like traditional FE's in that you can't grind at all (unless you've got the grinding DLC), but it's also probably the second most difficult FE ever (right behind Tharacia 776, it would seem).  Birthright's more like Awakening, though the story isn't quite as great (though most seem to agree it has the best story of Fates, though that's more bad than it is good).  But if you like being able to grind your units and build supports, then it's the game for you.  It's decent for PMU's too (so is CQ, though), but Revelation would be most ideal for that due to roster selection.  All paths have the same updated mechanics, so in all of them you can expect weapons that never break, a more concise pair-up feature, and updated support functions, among other additions.

Awakening is pretty much a given imo.  Though given that you list it as your favorite FE, I'm gonna assume you already know all about it.  All around solid game.  One thing it has that the others seem to lack is a good endgame.  Fates has pretty much no endgame beyond just grinding for supports after you've beaten the game (or just replaying the game, I guess), and Echoes only has the Thabes Labyrinth.  I'd say Echoes is probably the least replayable of the 3DS games, while all Fates paths and Awakening are roughly the same depending on what you find entertaining about them.

Echoes has some interesting mechanics.  It has a skill system that allows you to actively choose them as an option, but at the cost of some HP.  Magic always costs some HP too, except for the clerics' Nosferatu.  And generally speaking, a lot of what was in FE Gaiden is carried over into this game, so expect a game whose mechanics harken back to the Famicom days (in other words, expect a weird, clunky game).  You can still grind in Echoes, and you control two different armies (which only contain about a dozen troops each) on a map.  There is full voice acting throughout the game, which is nice, though the quality of the story is... I'd say between Fates, Awakening, and itself, it's probably middling.

All games have a likable cast, so you shouldn't have to worry about not finding good characters.  Marriage is available in all but Echoes, though it isn't without romance.  The protagonist/avatar implementation is different for each game.

• In Awakening, the main protagonist is Chrom, and the secondary protagonist is your avatar.  Robin has access to all classes that's available to his/her gender, and Chrom only has access to his own class, cavalier, and archer.
  • In Fates, the main protagonist is your avatar, though the extent of which the story focuses on them is variable depending on the path chosen.  The avatar always gets some level of attention, but Birthright and Conquest seem to give a bit more attention to the other royals.  Not only that, but your avatar can only start with access to two classes; their own unique class and a "talent" which is one of the regular classes available to most units.  Though through Friendship Seals and Partner Seals, your avatar can effectively have access to pretty much every class in the game like Robin.  Only certain unique classes and various DLC classes are gender-locked.
  • In Echoes, there is no avatar, but two protagonists; Alm and Celica.  The game does its best to make their stories feel like yours, however, through its presentation.  But don't expect to be able to make your own character to join their battle.  You can expect, however, some callbacks to the first game in the form of the Whitewings and a... certain chivalrous knight.

I don't know what you prefer in a game, so I won't vote.  I have all of these games, and I replay Awakening and Fates fairly often.

If you're new to the series, then get Fates. Either version is a good choice, but keep in mind Conquest is harder than Birthright. You'll still have difficulty modes to choose from of course. Fates takes all the mechanics from Awakening and improves on them, so Awakening is really made rather obsolete in this regard imo.

If you have played FE before, then it's really dependant on what you value most: gameplay or story. For gameplay, Conquest is by far the best choice. For story, then Shadows of Valentia is best.

I haven't played conquest yet but one thing I would not recommend you do is play Echoes first as it contains a lot of archaic features from Gaiden which are non-existent in more recent FE games and because of that it plays very differently. I would only recommend playing it after playing at least one of the other games you listed. This is assuming you are a complete newcomer to FE. If that is not the case then I guess it's okay to start the 3ds Fire Emblem games with Echoes.

Edited by Lord Chrom of Ylisse