Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth

Konnor97

12 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Beat the main game just now, the final boss was a freaking pain but I was able to beat it without using a dedicated healer -- that must be a first for me. Onto the postgame we go then.

'Without a dedicated healer... I'm sorry what ?' Whaaat ?That boss was such an annoyance, it was terrible, and you say 'I did it without the big healer'

I must sucks.

Good luck for the post game !... You'll guestion the sanity of some characters though. And the post game dungeons will make you mad if you disliked the 4th Stratum gimmick, which I did.

I have a (very) hard time with THE superboss of the game, so in waiting, I'm collecting conditional drops that I missed. Man, classes exclusive equipments are good. I might actually 100% the game if that continue.
Oh yeah, protip, there's a FOE who can suddenly appear on the map while you're walking, at the last floor of the 5th Stratum, South West of the map. Huh... best careful !

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, B.Leu said:

'Without a dedicated healer... I'm sorry what ?' Whaaat ?That boss was such an annoyance, it was terrible, and you say 'I did it without the big healer'

I must sucks.

Good luck for the post game !... You'll guestion the sanity of some characters though. And the post game dungeons will make you mad if you disliked the 4th Stratum gimmick, which I did.

I have a (very) hard time with THE superboss of the game, so in waiting, I'm collecting conditional drops that I missed. Man, classes exclusive equipments are good. I might actually 100% the game if that continue.
Oh yeah, protip, there's a FOE who can suddenly appear on the map while you're walking, at the last floor of the 5th Stratum, South West of the map. Huh... best careful !

I actually ran into that thing while trying to get to the final boss. It was just floating around as a giant orange orb, kind of like the old EO games on the DS. I didn't go anywhere near it, though... way too scary.

On 11/9/2017 at 4:14 AM, B.Leu said:

I must sucks.

Hey, to avoid getting completely annihilated by the final boss I had to ram my level cap all the way to the max (70), and I brought a ton of items with me as well. Also, two of my party members had blessing so they were just spamming blessing as often as possible. I think I just got really lucky on one of my runs and things just aligned into place, and I had a lot of failed runs before I did beat it.

Pushed my level cap up to 80, so my main team can gain EXP again.

By the way, does anyone know if you can get milk anywhere if you missed that one side quest with the cow? I need milk to complete a quest, and I am not able to find any place that gives it. Do rover hawks find milk?

Edited by Sunwoo

12 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Hey, to avoid getting completely annihilated by the final boss I had to ram my level cap all the way to the max (70), and I brought a ton of items with me as well. Also, two of my party members had blessing so they were just spamming blessing as often as possible. I think I just got really lucky on one of my runs and things just aligned into place, and I had a lot of failed runs before I did beat it.

By the way, does anyone know if you can get milk anywhere if you missed that one side quest with the cow? I need milk to complete a quest, and I am not able to find any place that gives it. Do rover hawks find milk?

Isn't the Cow Sidequest always doabe ? 

Rover Hawk found Berries, Olives and Meat, but I haven't sen Milk.

Anyway, I finally reached the 25th Floor. And reading all of you, I'm starting to get frightened.
And I waited until the 4th stratum to obtain the Memory conch... Oh well, at least now I have it.

13 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Yeah, I was level 70 too and it was still hard. :p

For milk, I recently find some on Floor10F when I was completing my map further, a lost guard was on the A5 and gave me one. No idea where he is next though.

Gosh, Star Devourer hate people, it's like the final boss, only the gimmick have multiple bars of HP. And it oneshot you.

Edited by B.Leu

6 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

Isn't the Cow Sidequest always doabe ? 

Rover Hawk found Berries, Olives and Meat, but I haven't sen Milk.

In all honestly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't -- especially when one of the lategame sidequests basically requires you to have it. But I can't seem to find the guard or, well, anything related to the quest. Where do I have to go and what do I have to do to get it?

Also, because I didn't mention it before, the Dryad fight was a fucking pain. Got nearly wiped out and unable to revive so many times, I went to look up a guide to see if someone was able to beat it without a specific lineup that required cheesing.

Turns out that it was a form of cheesing that I could semi-replicate. I'm so glad I made my fencer a chain fencer.

Now I'm just lost on the 27th floor. Where's the effing staircase!?

10 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

In all honestly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't -- especially when one of the lategame sidequests basically requires you to have it. But I can't seem to find the guard or, well, anything related to the quest. Where do I have to go and what do I have to do to get it?

Also, because I didn't mention it before, the Dryad fight was a fucking pain. Got nearly wiped out and unable to revive so many times, I went to look up a guide to see if someone was able to beat it without a specific lineup that required cheesing.

Turns out that it was a form of cheesing that I could semi-replicate. I'm so glad I made my fencer a chain fencer.

Now I'm just lost on the 27th floor. Where's the effing staircase!?

I've been trying to beat that Dryad thingie for the past three days... nothing I do helps, binds don't stick, it can heal itself... I hate it when bosses are basically luck based... 

Any tip is appreciated, because I am lost as hell...
My patience with this game is growing thinner by the second.

25 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I've been trying to beat that Dryad thingie for the past three days... nothing I do helps, binds don't stick, it can heal itself... I hate it when bosses are basically luck based... 

Any tip is appreciated, because I am lost as hell...
My patience with this game is growing thinner by the second.

What is your current team and their build? The Dryad apparently has ridiculously low resistances to binds and most ailments, and most special attacks will kill you outright. The strategy that I used had a chain fencer with what appeared to be maximum investment in chain killer (not required to be at max, but the more skill points you invest the easier it will be), the black mist union skill, and a harbinger to lower ailment resistance (I didn't use one, though). Also, having a pugilist or something that can reliably foot bind is very, very important.

The Dryad uses the same skill on turn 1, a very powerful move that will most likely kill you and it hits eight times. Therefore, you must get a leg bind on in turn 1. If you have two people who can use black mist, you can use one charge of black mist here to help a leg bind stick. Your fencer should use the skill chain plus to increase their attacks. You can also take this turn to have other people boost the fencer's attack or lower the Dryad's defense if you can.

On turn two, your fencer should use chain killer and someone should use black mist. Also, if you don't have other units who can naturally cast ailments reliably, you may want to buy the ailment jars from the store. On the second turn, I unleashed head bind, arm bind, and a status ailment (sleep would work) on the dryad and my fencer followed up all of those for extra damage.

Since I didn't have maximum investment in chain killer, this only got the Dryad to about halfway for me, but that was enough. After that, I just used my strongest attacks, and when the head and leg bind wore off, I unleashed panic gas on the Dryad and thankfully was able to get through the rest of the battle with that.

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

What is your current team and their build? The Dryad apparently has ridiculously low resistances to binds and most ailments, and most special attacks will kill you outright. The strategy that I used had a chain fencer with what appeared to be maximum investment in chain killer (not required to be at max, but the more skill points you invest the easier it will be), the black mist union skill, and a harbinger to lower ailment resistance (I didn't use one, though). Also, having a pugilist or something that can reliably foot bind is very, very important.

The Dryad uses the same skill on turn 1, a very powerful move that will most likely kill you and it hits eight times. Therefore, you must get a leg bind on in turn 1. If you have two people who can use black mist, you can use one charge of black mist here to help a leg bind stick. Your fencer should use the skill chain plus to increase their attacks. You can also take this turn to have other people boost the fencer's attack or lower the Dryad's defense if you can.

On turn two, your fencer should use chain killer and someone should use black mist. Also, if you don't have other units who can naturally cast ailments reliably, you may want to buy the ailment jars from the store. On the second turn, I unleashed head bind, arm bind, and a status ailment (sleep would work) on the dryad and my fencer followed up all of those for extra damage.

Since I didn't have maximum investment in chain killer, this only got the Dryad to about halfway for me, but that was enough. After that, I just used my strongest attacks, and when the head and leg bind wore off, I unleashed panic gas on the Dryad and thankfully was able to get through the rest of the battle with that.

That does sound quite effective.
My team is probably anything but optimal, but here it is (putting in Spoiler Tags for length reasons:)

Ray - Dragoon -> Shield Bearer
Shield Mastery (Maxed)
Line Guard (Maxed)
Mana Guard (Maxed)
Healing Guard (Level 2)
Gunmount (Level 3)
Recovery Guard (Level 3)
Divide Guard (Level 3)
Counter Gurad (Level 3)
HP Up (Maxed)
Full Guard (Maxed)
Union Skills: Analyze, Full Retreat, Double Attack, Mana Heal, Resuscitate, Tri-Shield

Yuna - Fencer -> Chain Fencer
Rapier Mastery (Maxed)
Optic Thrust (Maxed)
Sonic Blade (Maxed)
Phys ATK Up (Maxed)
Multi-Stab (Maxed)
Resonance (Maxed)
Speed Up (Maxed)
Union Skills: Analyze, Full Retreat, Double Attack, Mana Heal, Resuscitate, Tri-Shield

Sophie - Harbinger -> (I don't remember the name of her promotion. It focuses on the "Reap" skills)
Scythe Mastery (Maxed)
Miasma Armor (Level 3)
Auto-Miasma (Maxed)
Endless Shroud (Maxed)
Judgement (Level 3)
Stifling Miasma (Maxed)
Paralyzing Reap (Level 4)
Bloody Reap (Maxed)
Frigid Reap (Level 5)
Temporal Shroud (Level 5)
Union Skills: Analyze, Double Attack, Mana Heal, Full Retreat, Resuscitate, Tri-Shield, Black Mist

These three are in the front row.

Alan - Warlock -> Elemancer
Magi Mastery (Maxed)
Fireball (Level 5)
Icicle Lance (Level 5)
Lightning (Level 5)
Amplifier (Level 2)
Magic Shield (Maxed)
Explosion (Level 3)
Hailstorm (Level 3)
Thunderbreak (Level 3)
Cutting Costs (Maxed)
Magic ATK Up (Maxed)
Union Skills: Analyze, Double Attack, Full Retreat, Mana Heal, Chain Blast

Emma - Botanist -> Merciful Healer
Herb Mastery (Maxed)
Healing Herb (Level 5)
Refreshing Herb (Maxed)
Sweeping Herb (Level 5)
Revival Herb (Level 5)
Herb Foraging (Level 4)
Herb Boost (Level 5)
Bountiful Herb (Maxed)
Freeing Herb (Maxed)
Auto-Revive (Level 2)
Reflex Herb (Maxed)
Union Skills: Analyze, Double Attack, Full Retreat, Mana Heal, Hygieia's Bowl, Aegis Shield

These two are in the back row.
Surplus points went into exploration and Race skills.

Edited by DragonFlames

Okay, so, looking at your team I think the main issue I can see is that your chain fencer doesn't actually know any chain skills. Trying to brute force this boss won't work, so if you could I suggest taking some points from optic thrust, multi-stab, and/or resonance so you can invest some points in chain plus and chain killer. I suggest putting at least five points into chain killer, if you can put in more points then all the better. Chain plus I only put in one point of investment but having more in it helps, of course. Also, I'd suggest putting in a skill point to learn black mist on your dragoon or having your harbinger learn wilting miasma. Make sure you buy (multiple) leg binds, arm binds, and head binds. I also suggest buying the gases that cause paralysis, sleep, and panic.

Lower the Dryad's resistances with either black mist or wilting miasma and have someone use leg bind. Your fencer should use chain plus on this turn. If you're not confident that one leg bind will work, have several people use leg bind. If you can, have someone buff your fencer's attack and/or use a defense lowering move on the Dryad. If you can't get a leg bind on the Dryad on turn 1, restart until you can. On the second turn, once you have successfully used leg bind on the Dryad, use black mist again while your fencer uses chain killer. Everyone else should throw arm binds, head binds, paralysis gas, and sleep gas at the Dryad. If you can, release paralysis gas last. Jenetta should use foot pierce. The Dryad should have lost quite a bit of HP at this point, how much HP remains depends on how much you invested in chain killer. If there's still quite a bit of HP left, hit with your hardest hitting attacks.

If the Dryad loses head or leg bind before you're done, then you should go for another black mist and cast the panic gas. And if you work fast enough, the Dryad should go down before it wears off.

22 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Okay, so, looking at your team I think the main issue I can see is that your chain fencer doesn't actually know any chain skills. Trying to brute force this boss won't work, so if you could I suggest taking some points from optic thrust, multi-stab, and/or resonance so you can invest some points in chain plus and chain killer. I suggest putting at least five points into chain killer, if you can put in more points then all the better. Chain plus I only put in one point of investment but having more in it helps, of course. Also, I'd suggest putting in a skill point to learn black mist on your dragoon or having your harbinger learn wilting miasma. Make sure you buy (multiple) leg binds, arm binds, and head binds. I also suggest buying the gases that cause paralysis, sleep, and panic.

Lower the Dryad's resistances with either black mist or wilting miasma and have someone use leg bind. Your fencer should use chain plus on this turn. If you're not confident that one leg bind will work, have several people use leg bind. If you can, have someone buff your fencer's attack and/or use a defense lowering move on the Dryad. If you can't get a leg bind on the Dryad on turn 1, restart until you can. On the second turn, once you have successfully used leg bind on the Dryad, use black mist again while your fencer uses chain killer. Everyone else should throw arm binds, head binds, paralysis gas, and sleep gas at the Dryad. If you can, release paralysis gas last. Jenetta should use foot pierce. The Dryad should have lost quite a bit of HP at this point, how much HP remains depends on how much you invested in chain killer. If there's still quite a bit of HP left, hit with your hardest hitting attacks.

If the Dryad loses head or leg bind before you're done, then you should go for another black mist and cast the panic gas. And if you work fast enough, the Dryad should go down before it wears off.

Alright, thank you! I will respec my group a little and try your strategy.
And here I was, afraid of having to completely change my team.
The reason my Chain Fencer didn't have any Chain Skills was because the three starting Chain skills aren't that great and Optic Thrust was a godsend against a few storyline bosses and FOEs. Multi-Stab and Resonance have been very helpful in bringing down the final (story) boss, but I think I'll give the Chain Skills a shot!
Thanks again!

Somehow beat the third postgame boss that raises level caps on the first try. But my characters were level 90 and pushing the level cap, so it worked out. Plus, I got lucky and dodged instant death twice. The guest party member for that quest is a major help.

EDIT: Actually, I think getting to the boss was harder than actually fighting the boss. Maybe.

Edited by Sunwoo

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of funny how it's actually in the post game that you learn how important binds and ailments are, to the point of trivializing the post boss. Except Star Devourer. They are 'merely' practical against him.

Fujimi... Furofushi... 100% ! Finally !
Everything is done, the maps, the monsters, the conditional drops, all the quests. Even, the freaking. chests. That are hidden, in the 5th Stratum. And boy, to get them you have to go far.

Everything is done, the feeling of accomplishment is there, it's beautiful.

You guys want to see something weird?

IMG_0785.JPG

Yeah. I don't know what the game is smoking either.

Already tried giving him a nectar II and it doesn't work. So, like ... the HP bar thinks he's dead but apparently he's not? If I recall correctly, there are no buffs on any of my characters and they got hit with stratum 5 boss's freeze breath. The others who got hit took minimal damage, too, so not sure what's going on.

EDIT: Apparently, having him use the blessing union skill works, and he just healed off his HP. From 0. What the fuck.

Edited by Sunwoo

• 2 weeks later...

started playing at floor 3 now and i think i need to respec my main squad

I still can't believe how good Etrian Oddysey is at forcing the player to overthink with well placed traps. In hindsight the best early game decision is to spend skillpoints on an active to get level 5 instead of spreading out my points for no reason

Is Dragoon and Pugilist basically the strongest class in this? Dragoon seems really weirdly stacked on offense, while Pugilist can just click their actives and does tons of damage

There is one particular promotion of the pugilist that can get so OP that you can 1HKO the superboss with it. I ... actually had to resort to that, because I could not beat it using my regular party. Ticked me off, too, because I had to respec most of my party to do that. Chain fencer can also become really powerful if you invest fully in their chain attacks, though.

Chain Fencer are really cool. Chain Fencer + Warlock can get rid of any random encounter in 1 turn.
Rover can be good as well. Hawk Rover racks up additional damage, and are generally quite strong.

The best thing with Dragoons for me are Bunker and Turrets. Both are really great, once maxed out, allowing you to regain momentum.

I'm still on the part where your entering floor 4 lol. Beat the floor 2 and 3 FOE at least and the weapon from F3 FOE made my Warlock into quite a strong spell slinger

Current party is Dragoon(focus Bunker atm), Fencer(Fire Chaser) frontline and Backline Necro(uhhhh yeah early game Necro = Poison Bomb abuse galore) Warlock(focusing on quick chant atm), and Shaman focusing on the healing passive since my squad lacks sustain

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

• 2 weeks later...

Pros of beating the Jagged reach: More map drawing in the next stratum, advanced specializations are cool, exp gains are going up.

Cons: My people keep dying and seeing the exp bars be uneven freaks me out so I keep reloading my save!

... Do I have an issue or what?

4 hours ago, PeaceRibbon said:

Pros of beating the Jagged reach: More map drawing in the next stratum, advanced specializations are cool, exp gains are going up.

Cons: My people keep dying and seeing the exp bars be uneven freaks me out so I keep reloading my save!

... Do I have an issue or what?

What is your team ?

The game is pretty challenging overall, each new Stratum being a new punch to the gut. And the 3rd Stratum have those damn Grand Spriggans, that will kill you if left unchecked (they must be killed first, but I don't remember if it's always possible) I had long accepted to let soem party members died during encounters at this point.

3 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

What is your team ?

The game is pretty challenging overall, each new Stratum being a new punch to the gut. And the 3rd Stratum have those damn Grand Spriggans, that will kill you if left unchecked (they must be killed first, but I don't remember if it's always possible) I had long accepted to let soem party members died during encounters at this point.

I'm running Deathguard (utility), Phantom Duelist (dodge-tanking), Barrage Brawler (because spending your hp is for people who hate themselves), Cannon Bearer (back-line offense), and Merciful Healer (MOAR HEALS!).

I found playing the original Etrian Odyssey for DS that I was most comfortable running more defensive comps that scale into the late game so that's why 4 out of 5 of the master titles I chose were the arguably more protective ones. As for the base classes... I wanted to try running the game with all the Earthlain classes for flavor :P. in any case, I'm sure I won't struggle that badly if I play to the party's strengths and learn each time I mess up.

Edited by PeaceRibbon

• 3 weeks later...

Manage to reach floor 30 and now to explore it and fight the bonus boss

Bosses in this game have been really easy if only because the amount of stuff you can do during lockdown and the ease of getting lockdown itself is really crazy